Author Topic: New Live Release: BREAKING THE FOURTH WALL discussion thread  (Read 225042 times)

Offline JayOctavarium

• I used to be a whorejerk
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • But then I took a Hef to the knee...
Re: Upcoming DVD of the Boston Performance (3-25-2014) BREAKING THE FOURTH WALL
« Reply #1050 on: September 27, 2014, 12:53:41 PM »
No. The leaking was on Beneath The Surface. Did they play the sample on Luna Park? I don't remember.
I just don't understand what they were trying to achieve with any part of the song, either individually or as a whole. You know what? It's the Platypus of Dream Theater songs. That bill doesn't go with that tail, or that strange little furry body, or those webbed feet, and oh god why does it have venomous spurs!? And then you find out it lays eggs too. The difference is that the Platypus is somehow functional despite being a crazy mishmash or leftover animal pieces

-BlobVanDam on "Scarred"

Offline GentlemanofDread

• The dreaded man
  • The One Who Help To Set The Sun
« Reply #1051 on: September 27, 2014, 12:56:08 PM »
They did play the sample!
i don't even like dt but i had keyboard and an ipad so what the fuck
Jordan is actually DT's tax advisor. He just happens to do their taxes on stage, that's why he has that iPad there.

Offline fadetoblackdude7

« Reply #1052 on: September 27, 2014, 03:44:26 PM »
I read from a review on Amazon that the sets/encore are actually separated on this one.....this true? If so, I'm for it, makes it feel more like the actual show.

Offline me7

• Disciple of the Cockroach
« Reply #1053 on: September 27, 2014, 04:09:49 PM »
I read from a review on Amazon that the sets/encore are actually separated on this one.....this true? If so, I'm for it, makes it feel more like the actual show.

The main menu has a "play full concert" button that plays the show from start to finish but the "select specific track" menu is split across three submenues, one for each set.
It's a bit weird to consider the SFAM tracks as encore since JLB actually announces them early in the show.

That said, JLB talk sections are a lot better than on Luna Park. He talks less and when he does, he doesn't go on for too long.

Offline fadetoblackdude7

« Reply #1054 on: September 27, 2014, 04:44:11 PM »
That's interesting. And thanks!

Offline Labrie1984

« Reply #1055 on: September 27, 2014, 05:13:32 PM »
What about the prerecorded vocals on One last times chorus...Does Labrie sing them at this particular show? On the other hand, I don't understand why he refuses to sing them. They are not so high-pitched. Thank you so much for the info. Next week I'll purchase it here in Spainand  post my point of view:)

Offline me7

• Disciple of the Cockroach
« Reply #1056 on: September 27, 2014, 05:29:00 PM »
What about the prerecorded vocals on One last times chorus...Does Labrie sing them at this particular show?

I guess you mean Finally free. He doesn't sing the "One last Time" lines.

Offline Labrie1984

« Reply #1057 on: September 27, 2014, 05:32:42 PM »
Thank you so much:) I find it kind of weird. He sings more complicated notes all nights. I love Labrie's performance nowadays:)

Offline Grizz

« Reply #1058 on: September 27, 2014, 05:34:03 PM »
It's because he's telling the crowd to sing.
"I raised the baby, I changed the baby's diapers.  Whenever the baby had projectile diarrhea, I was there in the line of fire.  I even got a little in my mouth!  I sacrificed so much for my baby.  Now my baby hates me and thinks Mike Mangini is its real father!"

Offline Labrie1984

« Reply #1059 on: September 27, 2014, 05:38:58 PM »
I don't know...using the same line each and every night to interact with the audience...Maybe. Perhaps they have everything more structured than it seems. I have never watched him singing this line this tour. Not even starting the line and letting people go on...

Offline PetFish

« Reply #1060 on: September 27, 2014, 05:53:33 PM »
I was just thinking how much I'd love an isolated orchestra track but nobody who has it is talking about on so I guess it ain't there.

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
Winger Theater Forums........or WTF.  ;D
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Offline Jinx

• The Unicyclist's #1 fan!
  • Shaaaamaan take my haaaannd!!
« Reply #1062 on: September 27, 2014, 06:25:25 PM »
I don't know...using the same line each and every night to interact with the audience...Maybe. Perhaps they have everything more structured than it seems. I have never watched him singing this line this tour. Not even starting the line and letting people go on...

Its just a good place for audience participation. Everyone knows the words and the audience loves doing the last 'One Last Ti-i-i-ime'. He also gets them to do the choir part at the beginning of On The Backs Of Angels.

Offline Grizz

« Reply #1063 on: September 27, 2014, 07:00:23 PM »
Or like the third chorus in Lie. It works even better when they aren't stuck to a click and can stop playing to let the audience sing without the instruments.
"I raised the baby, I changed the baby's diapers.  Whenever the baby had projectile diarrhea, I was there in the line of fire.  I even got a little in my mouth!  I sacrificed so much for my baby.  Now my baby hates me and thinks Mike Mangini is its real father!"

Offline Labrie1984

« Reply #1064 on: September 27, 2014, 07:08:31 PM »
As a truly lover of James' voice, I would like to know how his beautiful and strong vibrato has been captured in this live recording. I miss it on the studio versions. I'll watch the concert myself on wednesday but I'd love to read your opinion on this. Thanks !

Offline HolidaysAnoraks

« Reply #1065 on: September 27, 2014, 07:18:30 PM »
Just got my copy in the mail. Only a few songs in, but IMO this is the best drum sound from Mangini yet.

Offline Bertielee

• RIP, Dad (1935-2017)
« Reply #1066 on: September 28, 2014, 02:26:59 AM »
My thoughts :

minor negative : JP's rhythm tone is somewaht muddy (as has already been pointed out)
                           the orchestra somewhat lost in the mix on Strange Déjà-vu
                           JLB sounding a little flat at times

MAJOR positive : all the effing rest, guys! What a treat! And that second DVD : everything I could ask for! Top of the games, guys! And JLB sounds really great if not for the minor negative!
Highlights : SDV, IT and the orchestra, Lifting Shadows...well, mostly everything in fact! Call me a fanboy!!! :metal :metal :metal

B.Lee
"Life is divided into two sets of people : people who have lost and people who haven't yet." George Michael

Offline YtseJamittaja

• Yub Nub
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1067 on: September 28, 2014, 04:33:32 AM »
I was so frustrated because the release date in Finland was in Friday but when I went to the record shop they told that the importer has done something wrong and it's still not here. So I will get it somewhere in next week hopefully.

I don't want to scroll every page so can somebody of you guys say are there any bonus features?
Do you even whahíbrido pickingant?

M Y  L A S T. F M  P R O F I L E

Offline HolidaysAnoraks

« Reply #1068 on: September 28, 2014, 06:36:03 AM »
There's a photo gallery and you get the isolated background animations for Enigma Machine and Illumination Theory

Offline Madman Shepherd

« Reply #1069 on: September 28, 2014, 10:49:17 AM »

Highlights : SDV, IT and the orchestra,

Orchestra?  Good to hear considering some people have been more critical of that aspect. 

Offline DarkLord_Lalinc

• pr0nman extraordinaire
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Hostages love me
« Reply #1070 on: September 28, 2014, 10:54:33 AM »
Alright, I just got checked this out!

My first impression:

The Good:
Mangini sounds amazing. Rudess sounds amazing. The orchestra is amazing. Definitely, a big step up from Luna Park.

The Bad:
As someone already mentioned, LaBrie falls *really* flat in places and it annoyed me greatly. I felt his performance was better in Luna Park, so this was somewhat of a downer in that department. Also, although I really dig the mix, JP's tone does feel muddy and lacking lots of clarity. Also, there are some of those annoying *p*, *t* and *s* mic sounds from LaBrie that were present in Luna Park. Is it excessive compression? Is it LaBrie's mic?  I don't know, but it's quite annoying.

The bad is easier to point out, because I think it's super clear by now that the band was super tight and that there are a bunch of wonderful things in this DVD. Sadly, I wanted this to be better than Score, but LaBrie's performance felt flat to some extent and it doesn't have that "OMG EVERYTHING'S PERFECT" quality Score had.

Either way, much much better than Luna Park in lots of departments. Definitely a nice addition to every DT fan's collection :)
Quote from: TioJorge
MAN FUCK YOU KUJA.
Quote from: hefdaddy42
The Darklord is amazing

Offline Madman Shepherd

« Reply #1071 on: September 28, 2014, 11:06:38 AM »
Alright, I just got checked this out!

My first impression:

The Good:
Mangini sounds amazing. Rudess sounds amazing. The orchestra is amazing. Definitely, a big step up from Luna Park.

The Bad:
As someone already mentioned, LaBrie falls *really* flat in places and it annoyed me greatly. I felt his performance was better in Luna Park, so this was somewhat of a downer in that department. Also, although I really dig the mix, JP's tone does feel muddy and lacking lots of clarity. Also, there are some of those annoying *p*, *t* and *s* mic sounds from LaBrie that were present in Luna Park. Is it excessive compression? Is it LaBrie's mic?  I don't know, but it's quite annoying.

The bad is easier to point out, because I think it's super clear by now that the band was super tight and that there are a bunch of wonderful things in this DVD. Sadly, I wanted this to be better than Score, but LaBrie's performance felt flat to some extent and it doesn't have that "OMG EVERYTHING'S PERFECT" quality Score had.

Either way, much much better than Luna Park in lots of departments. Definitely a nice addition to every DT fan's collection :)

What spots did he fall flat?

Offline DarkLord_Lalinc

• pr0nman extraordinaire
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Hostages love me
« Reply #1072 on: September 28, 2014, 11:11:27 AM »
On the top of my head... I remember a couple of places in The Shattered Fortress, Trial of Tears, The Mirror... and probably Lifting Shadows.

Illumination Theory was effin' amazing, tho. The best moment in the DVD by far. A great performance by everyone (James included).
MAN FUCK YOU KUJA.
The Darklord is amazing

Offline Labrie1984

« Reply #1073 on: September 28, 2014, 11:53:00 AM »
It's a quite demanding setlist for a vocalist and takes 3 hours. However I prefer James' vocals nowadays over his past performances.

Offline Labrie1984

« Reply #1074 on: September 28, 2014, 11:55:56 AM »
I love James' performance on Score but the vocals sound too clean and perfect. This overproduced thing annoys me a little bit.

Offline Madman Shepherd

« Reply #1075 on: September 28, 2014, 11:58:06 AM »
On the top of my head... I remember a couple of places in The Shattered Fortress, Trial of Tears, The Mirror... and probably Lifting Shadows.

Illumination Theory was effin' amazing, tho. The best moment in the DVD by far. A great performance by everyone (James included).

Interesting.  Sounds like it wasn't fixed up much in the studio if at all. 
It's a quite demanding setlist for a vocalist and takes 3 hours. However I prefer James' vocals nowadays over his past performances.

I agree completely.  He might not be able to hit the highest of the high notes but he is far more consistent and can still hit the higher of the high notes. 

Offline Mladen

« Reply #1076 on: September 28, 2014, 12:08:20 PM »
That's a shame, those are the ones we all hope he would nail. But that's only because they're such tricky and demanding vocally.

Offline DarkLord_Lalinc

• pr0nman extraordinaire
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Hostages love me
« Reply #1077 on: September 28, 2014, 12:15:40 PM »
There were some fixes, definitely. And yeah, those are extremely tough songs to sing live and it should be known that JLB did a good job in most of the songs. I don't wanna come across in the wrong way, but it's just that my hopes were extremely high for this DVD and they didn't quite hit the mark.

But, as I said to you guys earlier, I enjoyed the hell out of it.  :tup
MAN FUCK YOU KUJA.
The Darklord is amazing

Offline wasteland

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Jay Beckenstein was in Spyro Gyra, right?
« Reply #1078 on: September 28, 2014, 12:19:32 PM »
Really, I believe James's performance was hampered in a minor way by the placement of the gig in the tour schedule. It was barely the second show after a month long absence from the stage, he was still getting back in the groove. Which is why he sounded much better on the next few shows than he did in Boston.
:slayer: Somewhere, over the wasteland..... bootlegs fly :slayer:
MoraWintersoul is the BEST person.
- Marco

Offline DarkLord_Lalinc

• pr0nman extraordinaire
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Hostages love me
« Reply #1079 on: September 28, 2014, 12:22:54 PM »
Really, I believe James's performance was hampered in a minor way by the placement of the gig in the tour schedule. It was barely the second show after a month long absence from the stage, he was still getting back in the groove. Which is why he sounded much better on the next few shows than he did in Boston.
Definitely, I couldn't agree more. JLB always gets better as the tour goes on.

It's really nice to have a recording of that really high note in Illumination Theory live, tho; as he stopped doing that after the Boston show.  :tup
MAN FUCK YOU KUJA.
The Darklord is amazing

Offline Pettor

« Reply #1080 on: September 28, 2014, 01:58:20 PM »
This is killing me! I want to hear it soooo much now! :)

I really hope Lifting Shadows came out good. Somehow it was never a favorite for me but at the concert I was in tears, mindblown! Remember James hitting the notes perfectly and after watching Youtube videos it seems he performed this song exceptionally well during the tour!

Offline hauswife

« Reply #1081 on: September 28, 2014, 02:17:32 PM »
it really looks and sounds great. james labrie with a good performance.
i like that mangini plays many drumfills that differ from the studio versions and i agree that petruccis sound during the verses is a bit muddy but during the solos it sounds nice to me.
the bass is too quiet in my opinion

Offline erwinrafael

« Reply #1082 on: September 28, 2014, 03:46:19 PM »
i like that mangini plays many drumfills that differ from the studio versions

Is that the case also in the DT12 songs? Based on my appreciation in the bootlegs, MM pretty much played the drum parts similarly, and the difference really is that the cymbals are really audible live, unlike the poor mix in the studio version.

Offline marlencrabapple

« Reply #1083 on: September 28, 2014, 04:09:33 PM »
Anyone complain about the excessive pitch correction yet? Sounds like they cranked it up to 100 and left the room. Some notes were even shifted in the wrong direction. At least Score sounded like someone listened to the final product before they shipped it.

Offline DarkLord_Lalinc

• pr0nman extraordinaire
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Hostages love me
« Reply #1084 on: September 28, 2014, 04:33:11 PM »
Anyone complain about the excessive pitch correction yet? Sounds like they cranked it up to 100 and left the room. Some notes were even shifted in the wrong direction. At least Score sounded like someone listened to the final product before they shipped it.
Yeah, Trial of Tears and The Mirror come to mind.
MAN FUCK YOU KUJA.
The Darklord is amazing