Author Topic: New Live Release: BREAKING THE FOURTH WALL discussion thread  (Read 223015 times)

Online PixelDream

• Maestro
Re: Upcoming DVD of the Boston Performance (3-25-2014) BREAKING THE FOURTH WALL
« Reply #770 on: September 16, 2014, 04:22:53 AM »
God, the auto-tuning is so obvious in places. Lazy job on that one. Nothing against it, just make sure the audible artifacts are kept to a minimum.
Not 'Down To F***', but 'Dream Theater Forums' .

Online wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #771 on: September 16, 2014, 05:19:46 AM »
God, the auto-tuning is so obvious in places. Lazy job on that one. Nothing against it, just make sure the audible artifacts are kept to a minimum.

I didn't really notice any auto tuning at all on that performance.  maybe I just wasn't paying that much attention, or looking out for it.
Everyone else, except Wolfking is wrong.

Offline Kotowboy

• Yes THAT Kotowboy.
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #772 on: September 16, 2014, 06:42:42 AM »
Yeah I didn't notice anything stick out and I was actually listening carefully. :dunno:

Offline BlobVanDam

• Future Boy
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Transform and rock out!
« Reply #773 on: September 16, 2014, 06:44:13 AM »
I noticed it, but it wasn't excessive at all imo. There was one note I heard it snap incorrectly, but aside from that, it didn't bother me. JLB is sounding great here.
Only King could mis-spell a LETTER.
Yep. I think the only party in the MP/DT situation that hasn't moved on is DTF.

Offline Moor

• The more the merrier
« Reply #774 on: September 16, 2014, 06:55:21 AM »
That JP lick just got me, unnecspected and awesome. I'm really pumped for this DVD, but I still think they are not that energetic on this tour.

Same here! In your face !

Offline Podaar

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #775 on: September 16, 2014, 07:06:57 AM »
Fortunately, for me, I've never been able to hear auto-tuning, unless it's at obvious Cher levels and done intentionally. In fact, couple my inability to hear it with my natural skepticism and I come away thinking that people just like to say they can hear auto-tuning to come off as experts.

I'm sure I'm wrong, of course. There are so many trained and expert level listeners on DTF.

I think the song sounds great and I'm very happy that I pre-ordered the Blu-ray!
"Owners of dogs will have noticed that, if you provide them with food and water and shelter and affection, they will think you are God. Whereas owners of cats are compelled to realize that, if you provide them with food and water and affection, they draw the conclusion that they are God.” — Christopher Hitchens

Offline BlobVanDam

• Future Boy
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #776 on: September 16, 2014, 07:17:08 AM »
Fortunately, for me, I've never been able to hear auto-tuning, unless it's at obvious Cher levels and done intentionally. In fact, couple my inability to hear it with my natural skepticism and I come away thinking that people just like to say they can hear auto-tuning to come off as experts.

I'm sure I'm wrong, of course. There are so many trained and expert level listeners on DTF.

I think the song sounds great and I'm very happy that I pre-ordered the Blu-ray!

Nah, it's definitely possible to hear it if you know what you're listening out for and have a trained ear. JLB's vocals are so good lately that it's not applied heavily, and doesn't detract in the slightest from his performance here imo.
If you want to hear obvious overdone pitch correction, check out any Toto live album/DVD from the past decade. They're painful to me.

Offline Tomislav95

« Reply #777 on: September 16, 2014, 07:18:15 AM »
I don't hear auto tune ever, too. So I'm listening audience bootleg of that show now and I hear one re-recorded part where James' voice cracked. Also, people on YT wrote where they think auto tune is used but I don't hear difference. It's easier to distinguish prerecorded backup vocals on bootleg than on video and backup vocals sound auto tuned, maybe it's it.
...the years just pass like trains
I wave but they don't slow down...

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
« Reply #778 on: September 16, 2014, 08:11:49 AM »
In fact, couple my inability to hear it with my natural skepticism and I come away thinking that people just like to say they can hear auto-tuning to come off as experts.

Pretty much that.  People tend to automatically play the "autotune" card whenever they hear any sort of vocal effect at all. 
"The Supreme Court of the United States has descended from the disciplined legal reasoning of John Marshall and Joseph Story to the mystical aphorisms of the fortune cookie."

Offline LTE3

« Reply #779 on: September 16, 2014, 08:12:47 AM »
Quote from: MP Fanboy probably
I didn't think Mangini could annoy me any more, but a headband? Seriously?

:lolpalm:

Yeah, I saw that too  :lol

:rollin So tru dude, between that and Japanese hair straightening he is a goof. The man can play and seems to have substance just no style. At one point it looked like he used a hair bump but that hopefully would be too absurd. As far as the click track thing. I'm more old school and miss the Portnoy go with the feel of it all style. I always felt MP's feel style playing was in good contrast to JP's technically perfect style. Now it's just all a little too technically perfect for my tastes. Still love them but prefer the MP touch.
Scheming demons dressed in kingly guise, beating down the multitude and scoffing at the wise.

Offline BlobVanDam

• Future Boy
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #780 on: September 16, 2014, 08:21:17 AM »
In fact, couple my inability to hear it with my natural skepticism and I come away thinking that people just like to say they can hear auto-tuning to come off as experts.

Pretty much that.  People tend to automatically play the "autotune" card whenever they hear any sort of vocal effect at all. 

And people tend to play the "people aren't really hearing it" card when they can't hear it. Even when used subtly, it can be identified by clear characteristics, but it's not a bad thing!
It's only very light here, to about the same level as on Score, which is deservedly a highly praised vocal performance, as I'm sure this will be too. It's not affecting JLB's signature vibrato, and vibrato is one of the first things affected by pitch correction. You can't apply it that lightly unless the original vocal was damn good to begin with. Pitch correction just gives it that little bit of polish to help with the fact he only had one take for a 3 hour show, which is impressive in itself.

Offline LTE3

« Reply #781 on: September 16, 2014, 08:38:59 AM »

Nah, it's definitely possible to hear it if you know what you're listening out for and have a trained ear. JLB's vocals are so good lately that it's not applied heavily, and doesn't detract in the slightest from his performance here imo.
If you want to hear obvious overdone pitch correction, check out any Toto live album/DVD from the past decade. They're painful to me.
If it is def used why would it allow a whole song to be sung flat and out of tune. Spaced Dyed Vest he kind of butchers at a few shows I've seen on you tube or is it only used when they are making a DVD?
Scheming demons dressed in kingly guise, beating down the multitude and scoffing at the wise.

Offline emtee

« Reply #782 on: September 16, 2014, 08:41:01 AM »
Totally impressed. Sounds bloody incredible to me.

Offline Lynxo

• It hurts when I poo
« Reply #783 on: September 16, 2014, 08:46:04 AM »
That second clip sounds amazing. :metal I was excited before but now I'm...double excited? :metal :metal
Lynxo cured my bad breath with his penis.

Offline Zydar

• Creep With Tonality
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #784 on: September 16, 2014, 08:55:27 AM »
I had to watch it again, I'm all smiles :)
Zydar is my new hero.  I just laughed so hard I nearly shat.

Offline Podaar

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #785 on: September 16, 2014, 09:10:25 AM »

I don't doubt that at all. In this particular case, my ignorance is bliss!
"Owners of dogs will have noticed that, if you provide them with food and water and shelter and affection, they will think you are God. Whereas owners of cats are compelled to realize that, if you provide them with food and water and affection, they draw the conclusion that they are God.” — Christopher Hitchens

Offline rumborak

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #786 on: September 16, 2014, 09:37:34 AM »
I didn't think it was excessive either. I mean, of course they used it, since all you need is to listen to the bootleg to hear that he was flat in a couple of spots.
"I liked when Myung looked like a women's figure skating champion."

Offline Labrie1984

« Reply #787 on: September 16, 2014, 09:51:51 AM »
I listened to the whole bootleg at Boston and Labrie' performance was far from his best this actual tour. I like the second promotional song. I think they've re-recorded some vocal parts or used sections from other nights. I don't mind at all because I know he's been able to sing them beautifully throughout the tour. Labrie does not ceases to surprise me despite his age. What a vocalist....! Not only for his range but also for his emotional singing. Superb! Thank you DT. I still love what you do :)

Offline Anguyen92

« Reply #788 on: September 16, 2014, 09:58:07 AM »
I can't distinguish any hints of autotune.  Which part of the video is it allegedly at?

Offline mikeyd23

« Reply #789 on: September 16, 2014, 10:23:01 AM »
That... Was... Awesome!!! :metal

I liked the vibe of that performance a lot. The band mix sounded really nice and the orchestra and choir added a nice element to fill out the sound.

And that JP improv! Freaking nasty!! Love it!

Great video, really liked some of the camera shots and the editing was good.

Overall, this video definitely got me even more pumped for this DVD!!

Offline fadetoblackdude7

« Reply #790 on: September 16, 2014, 10:27:01 AM »
Seriously, the vibe and energy in that song was what I've been waiting for from a DT dvd since Score.

Combine that with the visuals, the mix and the setlist, and this one is sure to be a winner!  :biggrin:

Offline emtee

« Reply #791 on: September 16, 2014, 11:12:58 AM »
Hearing the sonic quality of this gives me great hope that DT13 will follow suit. This is a VAST sonic improvement that actually
sounds close to perfect. If the next album has this pristine clear quality I'll be a happy dude!

Offline El Barto

• Rascal Atheistic Pig
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Bad Craziness
« Reply #792 on: September 16, 2014, 11:31:42 AM »
I get that the role of the orchestra is supposed to fill in and provide an accompaniment, but their song choices for it elude me. They pick a lot of songs where they're having to shoehorn it into various places, which is the problem almost everybody has doing these sorts of gigs. Metropolis was a fine example of that. Does Dance of Eternity really need orchestral bits? Strange Deja Vous? There were a lot of songs on that setlist where it would have worked well. I haven't heard any of it so for all I know they found a way to make it work, but based on past experience I'm definitely not holding my breath.

Also, what's with sticking them in the pit? Nobody in the audience can see them and it puts the band 20' from the audience.
Argument, the presentation of reasonable views, never makes headway against conviction, and conviction takes no part in argument because it knows.
E.F. Benson

Offline hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
« Reply #793 on: September 16, 2014, 11:43:11 AM »
I thought the orchestra worked incredibly well with Metropolis Pt. 1.
Hef is right on all things. Except for when I disagree with him. In which case he's probably still right.

Offline Plasmastrike

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #794 on: September 16, 2014, 11:43:15 AM »
Am I the only one missing the usual JR smiles / rocking out along with JM's focused face and insane finger movement?

There was so much JP, MM, and JLB!

Offline nikatapi

« Reply #795 on: September 16, 2014, 12:00:21 PM »
Am I the only one missing the usual JR smiles / rocking out along with JM's focused face and insane finger movement?

There was so much JP, MM, and JLB!

Yeah it was my only problem with the video, otherwise it's perfect, but i wanted to see more of JR, not only his fingers but his facial expressions as well.

Offline Plasmastrike

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #796 on: September 16, 2014, 12:28:30 PM »
Yeah, same here. I'm not trying to nitpick, I just love seein' all the guys. Other than than it's perfection :o

Offline PolarizeMe

« Reply #797 on: September 16, 2014, 12:29:09 PM »
That performance of Strange Deja Vu was so good, I replayed it a bunch of times last night. I'm more pumped for this release! :metal

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #798 on: September 16, 2014, 12:31:26 PM »
I thought the orchestra worked incredibly well with Metropolis Pt. 1.

Definitely my favorite song with the Octavarium orchestra.

Also, what's with sticking them in the pit? Nobody in the audience can see them and it puts the band 20' from the audience.

Im like half and half with this.  I think its kind of cool because its a different way of doing it.  Most bands have the orchestra behind them and I enjoy this simply because its different.  The part I dont like is the rest of the concert with all that black blank space that you can see on The Looking Glass.  SOme of the shots look like the band is playing in a dark empty room.  Ill have a better grasp on this when the DVD is released.

Offline DarkLord_Lalinc

• pr0nman extraordinaire
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Hostages love me
« Reply #799 on: September 16, 2014, 12:57:47 PM »

Well, that's the pit for the orchestra. I guess it makes sense they are playing down there.  :lol

Maybe the stage wasn't so big as RCMH's to fit the whole orchestra behind the band.
Quote from: TioJorge
MAN FUCK YOU KUJA.
Quote from: hefdaddy42
The Darklord is amazing

Offline rumborak

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #800 on: September 16, 2014, 02:58:51 PM »
I get that the role of the orchestra is supposed to fill in and provide an accompaniment, but their song choices for it elude me. They pick a lot of songs where they're having to shoehorn it into various places, which is the problem almost everybody has doing these sorts of gigs. Metropolis was a fine example of that. Does Dance of Eternity really need orchestral bits? Strange Deja Vous? There were a lot of songs on that setlist where it would have worked well. I haven't heard any of it so for all I know they found a way to make it work, but based on past experience I'm definitely not holding my breath.

Well, it's not as if the Boston setlist was different from the other shows. So, realistically, they wanted to have the real orchestra for IT, and then decided it would look silly if they brought in a whole orchestra for a single song.
Whether DT should have played a different setlist to work better with an orchestra is a different question, but I think these days DT has rather limited flexibility in those things.
"I liked when Myung looked like a women's figure skating champion."

Offline Mindflux

• DT.net Veteran
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #801 on: September 16, 2014, 03:13:07 PM »
Was there any word as to the BluRay+CD combo being limited to only the RoadRunner store?  I've been waiting for it to pop up elsewhere and it hasn't.

Offline Rodni Demental

« Reply #802 on: September 16, 2014, 03:15:57 PM »
I can't distinguish any hints of autotune.  Which part of the video is it allegedly at?

The entire thing. Except it's not autotune, it's post production pitch correction. And it's very subtle and well done. I believe what people are mostly noticing and calling out on, are the parts of the chorus that have backup harmonies, considering the pre-recorded harmonies are studio samples and are already pitch corrected, they're gonna sound less 'live' than the lead vocal performance.

If it is def used why would it allow a whole song to be sung flat and out of tune. Spaced Dyed Vest he kind of butchers at a few shows I've seen on you tube or is it only used when they are making a DVD?

Only used when making the DVD. Live autotune can be a risky game unless the singer already has generally pretty awesome pitch control, because they have to be within a half step of the note, or their pitch is gonna get dragged to the nearest half step above or below the pitch they're going for (James wouldn't dare use it live because his vibrato style would confuse the autotuner). The irony of using live auto-tune professionally is that if you can use it effectively, then you probably don't need it. Of course you can tune it to a particular mode, like say; the scale of the key a song is in. Then you'll get tuned to the the nearest tone instead of the nearest semitone, but then you're eliminating half the notes in the octave and by this point it becomes difficult to make it sound subtle live. Not to mention if the composition develops in any of the ways that the average DT piece does, then you're gonna have to prepare to tune your key changes and it just gets way to complicated. Most, if not all artists will use subtle pitch correction in post production if releasing a live show though.

Offline Shadow2222

« Reply #803 on: September 16, 2014, 04:53:19 PM »
I noticed it, but it wasn't excessive at all imo. There was one note I heard it snap incorrectly, but aside from that, it didn't bother me. JLB is sounding great here.

The first "toNIGHT I've been..." is the incorrect note, correct? I noticed that on my first listen. The "to-" and the "-night" should be different, but they are the exact same pitch.
"A pitch black night unfolds with the morning star as its only light... and thus the saga... begins" - Shenhua (Shenmue series)

Offline DarkLord_Lalinc

• pr0nman extraordinaire
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Hostages love me
« Reply #804 on: September 16, 2014, 05:49:14 PM »

The first "toNIGHT I've been..." is the incorrect note, correct? I noticed that on my first listen. The "to-" and the "-night" should be different, but they are the exact same pitch.

Dream Theater fans.

Breaking mistakes one syllable at a time since 1989.
Quote from: TioJorge
MAN FUCK YOU KUJA.
Quote from: hefdaddy42
The Darklord is amazing