Author Topic: Pro Wrestling Thread  (Read 211255 times)

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
Re: Pro Wrestling Thread
« Reply #2940 on: April 06, 2023, 06:28:43 AM »
I guess it shows that no one here watches regularly anymore when no one is discussing Wrestlemania.  :lol :lol

Offline hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
« Reply #2941 on: April 06, 2023, 06:29:29 AM »
I guess it shows that no one here watches regularly anymore when no one is discussing Wrestlemania.  :lol :lol
I was wondering about that.
Hef is right on all things. Except for when I disagree with him. In which case he's probably still right.

Offline Lethean

« Reply #2942 on: April 06, 2023, 07:12:36 AM »
I watched it, but I didn't think others here were.

I thought day 1 was pretty awesome.

Offline Phoenix87x

• From the ashes
  • The Phoenix shall rise
« Reply #2943 on: April 06, 2023, 07:35:37 AM »
Honestly, I just want a wrestlemania that is a couple hours long. This whole multi day thing is just too much content for me.

That being said I haven't watched any WWE at all since last wrestlemania so yeah  :lol

Offline TheCountOfNYC

« Reply #2944 on: April 06, 2023, 10:13:05 AM »
I watch regularly, but I had to watch night one after I got home from playing a gig, then I was with family for Palm Sunday, then I was so annoyed by the results of the final three matches of night two that I didn’t want to talk about it at that moment.
People figured out that the white thing that comes out of cows' titties could be drunk, and the relation between sweet desires and women's bellies growing up for 9 months. It can't be THAT hard to figure out how a trumpet works.”

-MirrorMask

Offline Lethean

« Reply #2945 on: April 06, 2023, 08:08:48 PM »
I will confess to only being annoyed by the results of 2 of those 3 matches.  Edge was one of my original favorites, so I was pulling for him.  Plus, his entrance was way way way better.

Offline Anguyen92

« Reply #2946 on: April 07, 2023, 11:21:58 AM »
I was so bummed out that Edge didn't opt to have Alter Bridge play Metalingus live.  The timing was perfect!!!!  They were in the San Bernardino area the day before, I was there for that concert!  The window for that to happen at a Wrestlemania is probably gone since this could be Edge's last Wrestlemania and AB may be taking the year off in 2024.

Offline ozzy554

« Reply #2947 on: April 07, 2023, 11:50:20 AM »

I'm catching up now. A tornado knocked out my power Mania weekend lol
Do you read Sutter Cane?

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #2948 on: April 07, 2023, 03:49:20 PM »
I read the other day that Reigns has had 27 title defenses since winning the world title nearly three years ago.  27.  Nothing like being a working champion, eh?  Good work if you can get it. 

Still not sure I buy Cody Rhodes as world champion material, but that could just be a blind spot on my part since I never liked his dad, who was the most overrated person ever in the industry.

Offline Anguyen92

« Reply #2949 on: April 07, 2023, 03:58:41 PM »
I'm not sure I buy Cody Rhodes as well as a legit top drawing world champion kind of guy as well.  Like I get what he wanted to do when he left WWE the first time.  I just felt like he was really out of place in the matches he had in NJPW.  He found a great footing in AEW to really establish his marketability and I've heard the transition from AEW to WWE has been solid enough for Cody.  Is it enough to buy in on him as a world champion though?

Offline Lethean

« Reply #2950 on: April 07, 2023, 04:11:46 PM »
I just want someone other than Roman Reigns.  I don't care about Cody all that much, but if that's who they picked, then fine.  Even though I'm not a huge fan, crowds seem to like him so I'm good with it.  I'd prefer Sami myself.  The bloodline story has been great over the last year or so, but I think that's because of Sami more than anything, and I'm very sick of Reigns. 

I'd be fine a number of other guys.  Another run for Drew McIntyre, since his was when everything was shut down.  Or Seth Rollins.

Offline TheCountOfNYC

« Reply #2951 on: April 07, 2023, 06:46:30 PM »
Cody had the top merchandise sales among individual superstars all WrestleMania weekend, and he’s been a consistent merch mover since he came back to WWE. He has drawing power, the number one sign of a top star.
People figured out that the white thing that comes out of cows' titties could be drunk, and the relation between sweet desires and women's bellies growing up for 9 months. It can't be THAT hard to figure out how a trumpet works.”

-MirrorMask

Offline Lethean

« Reply #2952 on: April 07, 2023, 08:04:31 PM »
Yeah - he hasn't done it for me but obviously people like him and I'm fine with it.  I don't dislike him either, just doesn't really hold my interest much.

Smackdown tonight was good.

Offline Cool Chris

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2953 on: April 08, 2023, 09:08:54 AM »
I read the other day that Reigns has had 27 title defenses since winning the world title nearly three years ago.  27.  Nothing like being a working champion, eh?  Good work if you can get it. 

Also saw he was in the main event at Wrestlemania 31, 32, 33, 34, 37, 38, and 39.

Still not sure I buy Cody Rhodes as world champion material, but that could just be a blind spot on my part since I never liked his dad, who was the most overrated person ever in the industry.

How do you really feel about him? But, really, can you elaborate a tad?
"Nostalgia is just the ability to forget the things that sucked" - Nelson DeMille, 'Up Country'

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #2954 on: April 08, 2023, 11:16:23 AM »
It's hilarious that Reigns has been in that many WM events now.  He was pushed hard as a main eventer as a face when fans didn't want it, and once he got over big as a heel, they left have let his title reign linger on way too long.  That's WWE for ya.

Cody Rhodes, to me, looks like a guy who would have been a mid-carder is just about any other era (like he was a decade or so ago when Orton, Cena, Triple H, Punk, etc. all were in or close to their primes), but they are so depleted from true main event stars now that someone has to be the top face.  I read that they wanted Rock/Reigns for the main event last week, but once they couldn't get a deal worked out for Rock to work it, Rhodes was the backup plan and inserted into the spot.  Given that, it's no surprise that he lost since they obviously had no intention of taking the belt off Reigns at this year's Wrestlemania. 

Offline Anguyen92

« Reply #2955 on: July 17, 2023, 06:04:42 PM »
So, anything interesting happening in wrestling in the last three months?  I wouldn't be able to tell, but if anything happened, let us know.  However, for those that love nostalgia of one particular infamous match that we had actually talked about a few months ago here, you may like this.  Here's a video on WWE's Youtube channel of Mick Foley and the Undertaker watching the Hell in a Cell match at King of the Ring 1998 together and talking about it to commemorate the 25th anniversary of this match.

The Undertaker and Mick Foley watch iconic Hell in a Cell Match: WWE Playback

Offline Cool Chris

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2956 on: July 17, 2023, 08:01:57 PM »
I know the Iron Sheik, Droz, and Mantaur all passed away.
"Nostalgia is just the ability to forget the things that sucked" - Nelson DeMille, 'Up Country'

Offline King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Take that Beethoven, you deaf bastard!!
« Reply #2957 on: July 19, 2023, 05:06:21 PM »
AEW in Boston tonight.

I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down'.” - Bob Newhart
So wait, we're spelling it wrong and king is spelling it right? What is going on here? :lol -- BlobVanDam
"Oh, I am definitely a jackass!" - TAC

Offline pg1067

« Reply #2958 on: July 20, 2023, 10:46:40 AM »
In case any of y'all are interested, there were a bunch of wrestling people on the latest episode of The Weakest Link.  They came across much smarter than I'd have thought (particularly my new alternate reality wife, Becky Lynch).
"There's a bass solo in a song called Metropolis where I do a bass solo."  John Myung

Offline Jamesman42

• There you'll find me
  • DT.net Member
  • Spiral OUT
« Reply #2959 on: July 20, 2023, 12:30:05 PM »
I got back into wrestling this year after 2 decades. It's a very fun time.

I don't think Jey Uso takes the belt off Roman at SS. Are we looking at Cody going for it at Wrestlemania and actually winning? Still disappointed it didn't happen this year.

Offline axeman90210

• Official Minister of Awesome, and Veronica knows my name!
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Never go full Nick
« Reply #2960 on: July 22, 2023, 06:03:11 PM »
I got back into wrestling this year after 2 decades. It's a very fun time.

I don't think Jey Uso takes the belt off Roman at SS. Are we looking at Cody going for it at Wrestlemania and actually winning? Still disappointed it didn't happen this year.

My man. I have to admit, I was very confused and surprised when Cody didn't win at Mania back in April, but the storytelling they've done with the disintegration of the Bloodline since than has been stellar. I don't think Jey wins the world title, I think getting that first pinfall over Roman in several years at MitB was his reward. I think Roman scratches and claws to hold on to the belt until Wrestlemania next year, and then drops it to Cody or someone else.
Photobucket sucks.

Offline Jamesman42

• There you'll find me
  • DT.net Member
  • Spiral OUT
« Reply #2961 on: July 22, 2023, 06:08:56 PM »
Being out of wrestling for so long, how does Cody challenge Roman for it since they're on different shows and Raw has its own belt now. Because I hope you're right.

Offline axeman90210

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Never go full Nick
« Reply #2962 on: July 22, 2023, 06:51:35 PM »
Being out of wrestling for so long, how does Cody challenge Roman for it since they're on different shows and Raw has its own belt now. Because I hope you're right.

Oh there are a couple different ways. Most obviously would be him winning the Rumble again in January and choosing Roman as his champion to challenge. Alternatively someone else could win the Rumble and challenge Seth (or whoever is the Raw champion at the time) and Cody could work his way into a #1 contender's match for the Smackdown title (especially if the Rumble winner is a Smackdown wrestler).

Also, I went to Smackdown last night since it was in Orlando and some people from work were interested in going. Man is L.A. Knight ever over (YEAH)
Photobucket sucks.

Offline Jamesman42

• There you'll find me
  • DT.net Member
  • Spiral OUT
« Reply #2963 on: July 22, 2023, 06:54:21 PM »
YEAH!

I didn't know you were here in FL, nice.

That makes sense, and I am dumb for forgetting there is another Rumble between now and next WM.

Offline axeman90210

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Never go full Nick
« Reply #2964 on: July 22, 2023, 07:06:05 PM »
I didn't know you were here in FL, nice.

Yeah I up and moved my life from NJ to Orlando for a job just about a year ago. So far so good :)
Photobucket sucks.

Offline Jamesman42

• There you'll find me
  • DT.net Member
  • Spiral OUT
« Reply #2965 on: July 22, 2023, 07:07:37 PM »
 Nice dude, I love this state except this awful summer humidity  >:(

Offline axeman90210

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Never go full Nick
« Reply #2966 on: July 22, 2023, 07:25:09 PM »
Nice dude, I love this state except this awful summer humidity  >:(

Yeah, I have to say it's not really much, if at all, hotter down here than it gets up in the northeast. It's just that as hot as it gets up there for maybe two months it gets down here for like five :lol
Photobucket sucks.

Offline Jamesman42

• There you'll find me
  • DT.net Member
  • Spiral OUT
« Reply #2967 on: July 22, 2023, 07:29:02 PM »
Yeah, I have to say it's not really much, if at all, hotter down here than it gets up in the northeast. It's just that as hot as it gets up there for maybe two months it gets down here for like five :lol

:lol that sound about right, I can't wait for a cooler Fall and Winter.

Offline Cool Chris

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2968 on: August 06, 2023, 08:55:48 PM »

That was amazing to hear them share those memories with such a level of respect and admiration for each other.

Offline Jamesman42

• There you'll find me
  • DT.net Member
  • Spiral OUT
« Reply #2969 on: August 07, 2023, 08:34:22 PM »
I would like to see Gable take the IC title. Make it a months-long feud.

I bet the tag titles get vacated. I would like that, no slight on SZ and KO. Send them back to each show and let them change hands often like in the Attitude Era.

Offline jjrock88

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2970 on: August 07, 2023, 08:47:16 PM »
Gable has been underrated for years.

It's crazy how over LA Knight is at the moment.  He clearly is going to get an immediate push to the top.

Offline Lethean

« Reply #2971 on: August 07, 2023, 09:25:08 PM »
Gunther is the one long running title holder who hasn't overstayed his welcome (imo of course).  I won't complain if he drops it, but I'm happy with him keeping it for a while too.  I'd like to see Sheamus get the IC title at some point (picking up on a storyline from earlier this year).

Tag titles... I think they should split them but again I'd be happy with Sami and Kevin Owens keeping one of the two for a bit. 

I was at SummerSlam and could have fallen asleep during tribal combat (and I think someone near me actually did).  Otherwise it was great and very nice to see LA Knight with a win.

That was amazing to hear them share those memories with such a level of respect and admiration for each other.
+1 to this

Offline Jamesman42

• There you'll find me
  • DT.net Member
  • Spiral OUT
« Reply #2972 on: August 08, 2023, 01:52:01 PM »
I also wouldn't mind Gunther keeping it for a bit longer, let Gable and Gunther battle it out for a while.

The tribal combat was a snoozefest from start to finish, including Jimmy returning. There is hope left for some good "cinema", but it's starting to really jump the shark.

Offline axeman90210

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Never go full Nick
« Reply #2973 on: August 08, 2023, 06:49:38 PM »
Gable is a gem. I'll forever be bummed that injuries killed American Alpha, the tag team he came up in from NXT. They had some spectacular tag matches back in the day. That said, Gunther is running with the IC title for a while longer, certainly long enough to break the record. Fun fact, Gunther has been a champion for something like 75% of his time in WWE between his long run with the NXT UK title and now the Intercontinental.

I wouldn't mind splitting the tag titles up so each show has a set, but I'd like to see Sami and KO run with at least one set of them for a bit longer. They could really have some great dedicated tag team feuds and matches, but I feel like they've been playing sidekicks to Cody and/or Seth the last few months moreso than ruling the tag division.

I was definitely surprised by the Jimmy twist in the main event (which I thought was good up until that point). My initial reaction was that they were stretching this story out too long, but I thought the same thing when Roman retained at Wrestlemania and we've gotten some great storytelling and matches out of the last few months.

Lastly, LA Knight is a goddamn star, they need to strap a rocket to his back. His pops are just ridiculous.

Photobucket sucks.

Offline Lethean

« Reply #2974 on: August 08, 2023, 08:47:47 PM »
I totally agree about Sami and KO.  And I also feel like the bloodline storyline has suffered a bit now that their part is done.  Paul Heyman is great, the story is great, but even before SummerSlam it feels a little stale.

LA Knight is awesome.  I wasn't familiar with him prior to the main roster and I didn't see much of him as a manager, which is probably a good thing.  But unlike maybe everyone else, I loved both him and Bray in their feud.  Bray's a great talker, and each week LA Knight got more and more of my attention.  When he went from imitating Bray to going nuts in 2 seconds... awesome.  Glad seemingly everybody now thinks so.