Author Topic: Pro Wrestling Thread  (Read 206719 times)

Offline ZKX-2099

• The Drifting Drifter
Re: Pro Wrestling Thread
« Reply #2765 on: September 22, 2021, 12:41:01 PM »
Every time I've watched AEW I enjoyed it.

Offline Anguyen92

« Reply #2766 on: September 22, 2021, 07:34:08 PM »
I didn't know this was a thing.  Apparently, when they go to commercial, they still have the action in picture in picture with the action muted while the ads are playing.  When the heck was that a thing for TV wrestling?

Offline Zook

• Evil Incarnate
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Take My Hand
« Reply #2767 on: September 22, 2021, 09:45:20 PM »
I didn't know this was a thing.  Apparently, when they go to commercial, they still have the action in picture in picture with the action muted while the ads are playing.  When the heck was that a thing for TV wrestling?

I think Smackdown started doing it a few years back.

Offline axeman90210

• Official Minister of Awesome, and Veronica knows my name!
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Never go full Nick
« Reply #2768 on: September 23, 2021, 09:13:19 AM »
Yeah, shows have been doing it for a little while now during some commercial breaks. One guy in AEW has a bit where he'll come out with a bunch of cue cards and stand in front of the camera and basically cut a promo during a pip break.
Photobucket sucks.

Offline Cool Chris

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2769 on: September 23, 2021, 11:18:42 PM »
I know nothing about AEW, so I checked out their website to see the roster. Not sure why this was my biggest takeaway, but two of the 5 "Coaches" are 1/2 of the 4 Horsemen, the Brain Busters, Tully and Arn!

Did not know AEW was on TV weekly because I never watch TV, I am not even sure I get TNT, I will have to check.
"Nostalgia is just the ability to forget the things that sucked" - Nelson DeMille, 'Up Country'

Offline Phoenix87x

• From the ashes
  • The Phoenix shall rise
« Reply #2770 on: September 27, 2021, 05:26:22 PM »
Orange Cassidy's faint kicks never get old to me. So simple but so effective  :lol

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #2771 on: October 01, 2021, 07:14:50 AM »
I had never seen this match before (link below), but that chop Andre gives Race around the 6-minute mark has to be the greatest in pro wrestling history.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7_kU_7LsdF8&t=10s

That makes my chest hurt just thinking about it.  :lol :lol

Offline Destiny Of Chaos

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2772 on: November 13, 2021, 10:09:55 PM »
Thank goodness for AEW. Another fantastic PPV.

Offline T-ski

« Reply #2773 on: March 14, 2022, 01:21:09 PM »
Scott Hall being taken off life support after complications from hip surgery.

https://www.yahoo.com/news/former-wwe-star-scott-hall-123900256.html

Hall and Nash were the biggest thing in wrestling at one point and it was must see tv. It was amazing Hall was able to turn his life around after so many years of personal abuse.

Sad day for wrestling fans for sure.
Is all that we see or seem, but a dream within a dream?

Offline Grappler

• Victory, Illinois Varsity
« Reply #2774 on: March 14, 2022, 01:38:22 PM »
He'll always be Razor Ramon to me.  I had lost interest in wrestling when the WWF/WCW wars were on and guys were jumping between the two, leading up to the attitude era.  So the NWO wasn't really something I got into, but kudos to him for becoming even bigger then.

My favorite story about him is when he presented the Razor Ramon character to Vince McMahon, knowing full well it was just a take-off on Scarface.  Vince had never seen Scarface and loved it.   :lol

Sad to see another of those classic WWF guys dying way too early.

Offline Anguyen92

« Reply #2775 on: March 14, 2022, 02:22:29 PM »
Scott Hall being taken off life support after complications from hip surgery.

https://www.yahoo.com/news/former-wwe-star-scott-hall-123900256.html

Hall and Nash were the biggest thing in wrestling at one point and it was must see tv. It was amazing Hall was able to turn his life around after so many years of personal abuse.

Sad day for wrestling fans for sure.

That's rough.  You can read how heartbroken Kevin Nash is in this quote.

“Scott always felt he wasn’t worthy of the afterlife. Well God please have some gold plated toothpicks for my brother. My life was enriched with his take on life. He wasn’t perfect but as he always said, ‘The last perfect person to walk the planet they nailed to a cross.’ As we prepare for life without him just remember there goes a great guy you ain’t going to see another one like him again. See Ya down the road Scott. I couldn’t love a human being any more than I do you.”

At least, the one thing you can say is that he tried to sort out his personal affairs to the best he can with help from guys like DDP and Jake the Snake.

Offline jingle.boy

• I'm so ronery; so sad and ronery
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • DTF's resident deceased dictator
« Reply #2776 on: March 14, 2022, 02:35:18 PM »
Damn.

Ya know, my earliest memories of Hall were from him and Hennig as the AWA Tag Champs, and some battles they had with the Road Warriors when the latter two were alternating between the NWA and AWA.

He was always in the mix of some of the best rivalries and best storylines.

Sad to see another of those classic WWF guys dying way too early.

Yup.
That's a word salad - and take it from me, I know word salad
I fear for the day when something happens on the right that is SO nuts that even Stadler says "That's crazy".
Quote from: Puppies_On_Acid
Remember the mark of a great vocalist is if TAC hates them with a special passion

Offline hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
« Reply #2777 on: March 14, 2022, 03:10:06 PM »
Ya know, my earliest memories of Hall were from him and Hennig as the AWA Tag Champs, and some battles they had with the Road Warriors when the latter two were alternating between the NWA and AWA.
Me too.
Hef is right on all things. Except for when I disagree with him. In which case he's probably still right.

Offline jingle.boy

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2778 on: March 14, 2022, 03:13:32 PM »
Me too.

Didn't he have a moustache, and looked essentially like the AWA version of Magnum TA?

Edit... yup, he did.

I fear for the day when something happens on the right that is SO nuts that even Stadler says "That's crazy".
Remember the mark of a great vocalist is if TAC hates them with a special passion

Offline Phoenix87x

• From the ashes
  • The Phoenix shall rise
« Reply #2779 on: March 14, 2022, 04:09:34 PM »
Hall was one of my favorite wrestlers and he was a person that I related to in many ways.

Watching his shoot interviews were fascinating and you could see all the mental trauma he was dealing with beneath the surface. Sure he stirred the shit and was a heat seeker, but there are times where he genuinely tried to the right thing (sags of the nasty boys) and later in life he did try and change his life for the better. He will be missed. 

RIP

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #2780 on: March 14, 2022, 05:04:33 PM »
When you consider how many problems he has had over the years, along with the fact that many wrestlers die young, it's amazing that Scott Hall lived as long as he has, to be honest. I always thought it was weird that Kevin Nash was pushed as more of a main event guy over Hall consider Hall was a better worker and talker, but I guess being super tall does have its benefits.  I think Hall will go down as the bigger and more iconic of the two though, even if they will always be linked for obvious reasons. 

nWo for life!

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #2781 on: March 14, 2022, 06:05:00 PM »
The "bad guy" has gone to the other side.

R.I.P. Scott Hall.

Offline Cool Chris

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2782 on: March 14, 2022, 08:31:21 PM »
Looks like it's official he has passed. I didn't watch wrestling in the mid/late 90s so always think of him as Razor Ramon. One of my all-time favorite wrestling lines: Someone asks Razor how he is doing, and he replies "Better than you, Chico."
"Nostalgia is just the ability to forget the things that sucked" - Nelson DeMille, 'Up Country'

Offline Anguyen92

« Reply #2783 on: March 15, 2022, 01:39:12 AM »
Not to take away from the passing of Scott Hall.

On a brighter note, Edge has a new theme song after using Metalingus for 18 years.  He's still using an Alter Bridge song.  He's using The Other Side, which seems like a suitable replacement, I think.  It's more "sinister" in regards to where he's at in his career and persona I would like to think.

Offline Cool Chris

• DTF.org Alumni
Re: Pro Wrestling Thread - RIP Scott Hall
« Reply #2784 on: March 26, 2022, 09:52:13 AM »
Ok first off, no one died. But a big name wrestler did have a pretty big health scare.

In September 2021, it was reported that HHH underwent a procedure at Yale New Haven Hospital following a cardiac event caused by a genetic heart issue. Two months later, unnamed inside sources told wrestling journalist Dave Meltzer that the incident was "very, very, very serious".

On March 25 2022, Levesque gave his first interview since his cardiac event in September 2021. Levesque spoke with ESPN's Stephen A. Smith telling him had viral pneumonia and his lungs were inflamed and things got worse over time. Levesque said that Stephanie noticed he was coughing up blood so he went to the hospital where doctors discovered fluid in his lungs and around his heart and doctors informed him that his heart was working at a fraction of full strength and he was in "bad" heart failure. Levesque said there were moments where things were so serious that he thought he would die.

Also Wrestlemania is next weekend. I don't follow this stuff any more, and didn't recognize quite a few of the names I saw on the card. Though I did see a former NFL punter and the dude from Jackass. So yeah, the Showcase of the Immortals.

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #2785 on: March 26, 2022, 09:56:20 AM »
I saw the clip online, very scary for sure (and I am no fan of Triple H).

I had to LOL at Molly Qerim kicking off the clip by talking about how wonderful Triple H and Stephanie are as human beings, even referring to both as "salt of the earth." :lol :lol :lol :lol :lol  I am guessing she doesn't talk to many people in the industry.

Offline Cool Chris

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2786 on: March 26, 2022, 10:06:16 AM »
Well yeah, in that industry the bar is set pretty low  :)

Got me thinking though. Looked it up and Vince is 76. He isn't going to live forever, though I imagine he will be running things with his iron fist until they sign the death certificate. Paul and Stephanie want to keep this ship running (and think of them what you will, Paul has a mind for the business and Stephanie has a mind for business); it's not like when Vince passes everyone is going to find something else to do. Just rambling here, but I am sometimes amazed the WWE has endured for so many decades and shows no signs of going anywhere.

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #2787 on: March 26, 2022, 10:25:06 AM »
Vince is to wrestling what Keith Richards is to music.  Somehow, he is gonna outlive 'em all!  :lol :lol

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #2788 on: June 16, 2022, 05:48:15 AM »
https://sports.yahoo.com/wwe-vince-mcmahon-3-million-payment-affair-former-employee-001943149.html

I can't believe Vince McMahon is a degenerate scumbag, said no one ever.

Offline Anguyen92

« Reply #2789 on: June 16, 2022, 11:53:11 AM »
^^ Hold on, is John Laurinaitis still with them?  I saw his name pop out in the article and I thought, "That's a name I haven't seen in years."

Offline jjrock88

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2790 on: June 16, 2022, 04:29:28 PM »
I'm sure there is more to the Stephanie resigning than meets the eye

Offline jingle.boy

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2791 on: June 16, 2022, 06:08:45 PM »

JJ!  :panicattack:

Shock(master) it would be wrestling news that brings you out of the woodworks.

Offline Cool Chris

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2792 on: June 16, 2022, 06:34:22 PM »

Didn't realize this happened, and I usually check in on WWE periodically, though haven't since Wrestlemania.

Offline Anguyen92

« Reply #2793 on: June 16, 2022, 07:48:49 PM »
I was shocked as well regarding Stephanie taking a leave of absence as well.  I think this happened a few weeks back.  I think, based on minimal reading I've read on wrestling nowadays, there's been quite a huge power struggle in WWE management for a while now and not in the usual Vince and HHH butting heads on where they want it to go.
« Last Edit: June 17, 2022, 11:18:44 AM by Anguyen92 »

Offline jjrock88

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2794 on: June 16, 2022, 08:13:55 PM »

JJ!  :panicattack:

Shock(master) it would be wrestling news that brings you out of the woodworks.

Just watched Warrior vs Hogan on the network...........Amazing Toronto match......5 stars.

Offline Cool Chris

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2795 on: June 16, 2022, 08:27:47 PM »
I was shocked as well regarding Stephanie taking a leave of absence as well.  I think this happened last week.  I think, based on minimal reading I've read on wrestling nowadays, there's been quite a huge power struggle in WWE management for a while now and not in the usual Vince and HHH butting heads on where they want it to go.

A power struggle? In the world of professional wrestling? This certainly has never happened before!

Offline Anguyen92

« Reply #2796 on: June 16, 2022, 09:03:46 PM »
^^ Yeah, in other companies.  The perceived notion for WWE is that it's always Vince's show for better or worst (even when his kids and/or significant others looked to be clear heirs).  Starting to feel like it's not leaning that way anymore.  Whether if it leads to a watchable product or not, we'll see.

Offline Cool Chris

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2797 on: June 16, 2022, 09:15:43 PM »
It seemed like they were setting it up for a peaceful transfer of power from Vince to HHH and Stephanie (once they got rid of that pesky Shane), but maybe something mucked up the works?

Offline Anguyen92

« Reply #2798 on: June 17, 2022, 11:17:23 AM »
^^ I honestly don't know anymore.  Another interesting twist to add.

I found this article while browsing through Loudwire and other news sites.  So Vince is stepping down from his CEO role, but not relinquish his roles when it comes to creative, and Stephanie will assume the CEO role in the meantime?

https://loudwire.com/vince-mcmahon-steps-down-wwe-ceo-investigation/

Offline Cool Chris

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2799 on: June 17, 2022, 06:37:51 PM »
It's a work!
- People who think everything in wrestling is a work.