Author Topic: Work Related Gripes V The Wrath Of Jay..  (Read 42295 times)

Offline King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Take that Beethoven, you deaf bastard!!
Re: Work Related Gripes V The Wrath Of Jay..
« Reply #490 on: February 28, 2024, 08:08:11 PM »
Boss overbearing.   Reviews. Safety observations to put in. 2 interviews.   Add 4 hours of training plus my supervisor called our and my trainee had to full in put a lot of stress today.   

My normal backup got a promotion to my position to my position in Lewiston,  ME.  A feather in my cap, but a lot of moving pictures right now.
I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down'.” - Bob Newhart
So wait, we're spelling it wrong and king is spelling it right? What is going on here? :lol -- BlobVanDam
"Oh, I am definitely a jackass!" - TAC

Online Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Pointing out the "unfunny" since 2014!
« Reply #491 on: February 29, 2024, 08:40:07 AM »
Boss overbearing.   Reviews. Safety observations to put in. 2 interviews.   Add 4 hours of training plus my supervisor called our and my trainee had to full in put a lot of stress today.   

My normal backup got a promotion to my position to my position in Lewiston,  ME.  A feather in my cap, but a lot of moving pictures right now.

Grace under pressure, my friend.  Grace under pressure.

Offline Awaken

« Reply #492 on: March 01, 2024, 04:02:16 AM »
Just finished week 1 of return to office . . . spent each day at my desk on calls.  The majority of each team I support are scattered around the globe.  There is no purpose for me being in an office. 

Online Zydar

• Creep With Tonality
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #493 on: March 01, 2024, 04:58:32 AM »

I want to make a Rush reference, but I can learn to resist.
Zydar is my new hero.  I just laughed so hard I nearly shat.

Online jingle.boy

• I'm so ronery; so sad and ronery
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • DTF's resident deceased dictator
« Reply #494 on: March 01, 2024, 05:33:36 AM »

Give it time.

And motion.

I want to make a Rush reference, but I can learn to resist.
That's a word salad - and take it from me, I know word salad
I fear for the day when something happens on the right that is SO nuts that even Stadler says "That's crazy".
Quote from: Puppies_On_Acid
Remember the mark of a great vocalist is if TAC hates them with a special passion

Offline Skeever

« Reply #495 on: April 10, 2024, 05:58:42 PM »
Been stressful for me as well, King.
Took a new job 3 months ago. I was so tired of my "iron rice bowl" style position in compliance, doing the same things every month. Took a job as a business analyst - data analytics is where I want to go, professionally - but 3 months in, I'm just not sure that I can hang.

It's a weird feeling. It's the job I want. I knew it was a stretch. The hiring manager knew that I was developmental. I am getting there, but not as fast as I need to to be effective. I'm putting in full days, spending some time in the evenings learning what I can, and just keeping my head down and trying to stay professional. I'm pretty sure that, within another 3 months, I'll have come through OK, or they'll have asked me to leave. We shall see. Changing jobs always carries risk. Shifting careers even moreso. I'm jut doing what I can and wherever the chips may fall I'll be better equipped to handle tomorrow as a result. 

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #496 on: April 10, 2024, 06:05:24 PM »
Been stressful for me as well, King.
Took a new job 3 months ago. I was so tired of my "iron rice bowl" style position in compliance, doing the same things every month. Took a job as a business analyst - data analytics is where I want to go, professionally - but 3 months in, I'm just not sure that I can hang.

It's a weird feeling. It's the job I want. I knew it was a stretch. The hiring manager knew that I was developmental. I am getting there, but not as fast as I need to to be effective. I'm putting in full days, spending some time in the evenings learning what I can, and just keeping my head down and trying to stay professional. I'm pretty sure that, within another 3 months, I'll have come through OK, or they'll have asked me to leave. We shall see. Changing jobs always carries risk. Shifting careers even moreso. I'm jut doing what I can and wherever the chips may fall I'll be better equipped to handle tomorrow as a result.

I hope the other issue you had has settled down mate.

Nevertheless good luck, keep working hard and you'll reap the rewards.
Everyone else, except Wolfking is wrong.

Offline Skeever

« Reply #497 on: April 10, 2024, 06:08:34 PM »
I hope the other issue you had has settled down mate.

Nevertheless good luck, keep working hard and you'll reap the rewards.

I had to go a few pages back to remember what I shared here.
Yeah, that problem went away... I got a new job, lol  :lol

Now I'm so very far from being bored out of my mind. Actually I have the opposite problem. I guess I got what I wanted!

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #498 on: April 10, 2024, 06:17:50 PM »
I had to go a few pages back to remember what I shared here.
Yeah, that problem went away... I got a new job, lol  :lol

Now I'm so very far from being bored out of my mind. Actually I have the opposite problem. I guess I got what I wanted!

Oh wow really?!  I was meaning the guy mocking you in the meeting or whatever it was.  maybe that was mentioned in another thread.  Nevertheless glad it's all going okay.
Everyone else, except Wolfking is wrong.

Online ganpondorodf

• Calamity
« Reply #499 on: April 14, 2024, 05:26:34 AM »
I recently learned that no matter how long hours I put in, it will never be enough. Our department is chronically understaffed and it's never getting better. So I've made the decision to continue busting my ass for eight and a half hours a day, then splitting. It is not my fault that management can't figure out how to staff certain departments. It's been quite freeing to come to this realization

Offline TheBarstoolWarrior

• PR permission
« Reply #500 on: April 14, 2024, 06:49:52 AM »
1. People want to figure out how they can get the most out of you while paying the least amount possible
2. Management lies about how much money 'we' are going to make when really they mean they.
3. Liars everywhere

Offline Jamesman42

• There you'll find me
  • DT.net Member
  • Spiral OUT
« Reply #501 on: April 14, 2024, 07:06:09 AM »
I recently learned that no matter how long hours I put in, it will never be enough. Our department is chronically understaffed and it's never getting better. So I've made the decision to continue busting my ass for eight and a half hours a day, then splitting. It is not my fault that management can't figure out how to staff certain departments. It's been quite freeing to come to this realization

Good for you! Sometimes it's worth it if your place of employment is not understaffed or if you have great leadership, or if it'll make your required work hours easier on you. Otherwise, do your best job and then go home and enjoy life.

Online ganpondorodf

• Calamity
« Reply #502 on: April 14, 2024, 07:42:31 AM »
Yeah it's unfortunate that management just wants to throw up their hands and yell "I guess nobody wants to work anymore!" rather than actually ask themselves the tough questions about why maybe people are just sick of being exploited for peanuts, but hey.

Offline King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Take that Beethoven, you deaf bastard!!
« Reply #503 on: April 14, 2024, 07:53:35 AM »
As a manager,  I know the pandemic changed the view of workers and how they perceive everything.

So, I make it personal to ask how their weekend was, help when they feel stress, be there, be present. Also, be sympathetic and help through personal issues.
I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down'.” - Bob Newhart
So wait, we're spelling it wrong and king is spelling it right? What is going on here? :lol -- BlobVanDam
"Oh, I am definitely a jackass!" - TAC

Offline Skeever

« Reply #504 on: April 14, 2024, 08:19:54 AM »
My gut feeling is... this isn't the 90s anymore, where symbolically falling on your sword will get you anywhere. Budgets are slim, and work has been so consolidated and streamlined over the decades that every employee is now a critical point of failure in some process or another. So, hanging with your business unit and making sure you are one of the last ones to go home even if you've been dicking around half the day isn't going to get you anywhere.  You have to know what it means to complete your job, what needs to be done by when, what things can be left for later, when you need to answer your manager's email (delivered to your personal device while your are sitting with your family at church) and when you don't. Forget about trying to conform to some ideal of what the workday should look like and set your own boundaries. And if that isn't cool with your boss - you'll find out, sooner or later!

Online lordxizor

• EZBoard Elder
  • and that is the truth.
« Reply #505 on: April 14, 2024, 08:27:55 AM »
I have sort of the opposite problem. My group's service offering is pretty new and we're growing. I Inherited a team from another service that was shut down. I don't have enough work for my team to do yet because we're getting started. So they help out elsewhere a lot. I have one team member who still manages to put in a few hours of overtime every week despite me telling the team that we need to careful about extra hours because we have no justification to put them in. Its not a huge deal if its an hour or two, but last week she put in 5 extra hours. There was absolutely no reason for her to do this. So now I have to have another conversation with her about it.

Online ganpondorodf

• Calamity
« Reply #506 on: April 14, 2024, 08:38:11 AM »
For a while there I was working essentially an entire extra day each week. I'm not a child, I don't need to be given a pat on the head and told "great job!", but when I'm getting criticised for not working hard enough* but ALSO for the amount of overtime I'm doing, by the people responsible for the ongoing shitshow, that's when I decide it's not worth trying to make this pricks happy. They will never be happy.

*I don't think this is admirable, but it's probably worth noting that I DO work very hard, I don't drag my ass at all. If I was pulling two hours of overtime a day but dicking around on my phone during the day, they might have a point. But I'm busy from the moment I clock in to the moment I leave.