Poll

So who tips for carry-out orders? And obviously I'm referring to actual restaurants; not Dominos.

Yup.
Nah, screw'um.

Author Topic: Tipping for carry-out  (Read 10157 times)

Offline Chino

• Be excellent to each other.
  • DT.net Veteran
Re: Tipping for carry-out
« Reply #70 on: February 27, 2014, 12:07:16 PM »
I'll bet every bartender in America is onto the whole Screaming Viking thing by now. In fact, I suspect there are probably 5 different regional cocktails bearing the name.

I've never heard of a screaming viking.

Chino, you must have gone poor tipping the movie theater valet ever time you saw Avatar. :lol

Haha. There was no valet and I still almost went broke. I spent (not counting gas) over $170 on Avatar before it was out of theaters.

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #71 on: February 27, 2014, 12:13:18 PM »

Offline Zantera

• Wolfman's brother
  • DTF.org Member
  • Bouncing around the room
« Reply #72 on: February 27, 2014, 12:46:38 PM »
I spent (not counting gas) over $170 on Avatar before it was out of theaters.

Why would anyone submit themselves to that much torture?

Offline ZirconBlue

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #73 on: February 27, 2014, 01:19:11 PM »
Tipping has nothing to do with restaurants not wanting to pay their employees.  They legally cannot pay them more than whatever the set amount for servers is (I think $3 and change). 

I am very skeptical of this claim.  Restaurants are allowed to pay less than minimum wage for servers with the presumption that, after tips, they will be making at least minimum wage.  I have never seen any prohibition on paying them more, and I've heard of at least one restaurant that decided to go the "no tipping" route and raise their servers' salaries.

Offline Chino

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #74 on: February 27, 2014, 01:29:39 PM »
I spent (not counting gas) over $170 on Avatar before it was out of theaters.

Why would anyone submit themselves to that much torture?

Why are you so mean?

Offline kirksnosehair

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Bryce & Kylie's Grandpa
« Reply #75 on: February 27, 2014, 02:08:13 PM »
I'm rich so I tip everyone.  :corn

Offline Perpetual Change

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #76 on: February 27, 2014, 02:10:44 PM »
I'm rich so I tip everyone.  :corn
Anything I can do for you, sir?

:biggrin:

Offline Dublagent66

• Devouring consciousness...
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • ...Digesting power
« Reply #77 on: February 27, 2014, 02:14:14 PM »
My question is this.  Who gets the tip?  When ordering take out, the only one's doing the work are those preparing the food.  There is no waiter or waitress involved.  The others just bag it and ring up the tab when you show up to get it.  I don't mind tipping at all, but I would want to make sure the right person gets it.
"Two things are infinite; the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the universe." -Albert Einstein
"There's not a pill you can take.  There's not a class you can go to.  Stupid is foreva."  -Ron White

Offline Laich21DT

• I AM ERROR.
« Reply #78 on: February 27, 2014, 02:21:54 PM »
As someone who has worked in restaurants for over 15 years, I definitely have some opinions on this subject.

I work at Outback, and our Take-away people do quite a bit. Obviously they take the order, write it down, key it in, box the order up, process your payment, and then most often deliver the food to your car. I think that our people in TA should get about 10%. They certainly don't deserve the kind of tip you would expect if you were serving a dine-in customer, but I think what they do still deserves something. I think it's really messed up when someone has a large $100+ order, which requires lots of work to put together, and stiffs the TA server, that's just not cool.

Also, there's more to taking someone's order at Outback or an equivalent restaurant, than taking someone's order at Taco Bell or whatever.

To whoever brought up the fact that they don't like the fact they're expected to tip more on a higher bill despite no more work being required of the server, just keep in mind that in most places, the server has to tip out a certain % of their sales to the bar, host, bus, etc.. At Outback, for example, 3% of my sales go to what we call "tipshare". So the two assfuck tables I had on Saturday night who decided to tip me nothing ended up costing me about $4 out of my pocket to wait on them. Thanks, dicks.

I'd better stop there, before I go into a full on tipping rant.
I've got a plan, it involves pulling up our bootstraps, oiling up a couple of asses, and doing a little plowing of our own...... not gay sex. -Mac, It's Always Sunny in Philadelphia

Offline JayOctavarium

• I used to be a whorejerk
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • But then I took a Hef to the knee...
« Reply #79 on: February 27, 2014, 02:28:59 PM »
:corn ^
I just don't understand what they were trying to achieve with any part of the song, either individually or as a whole. You know what? It's the Platypus of Dream Theater songs. That bill doesn't go with that tail, or that strange little furry body, or those webbed feet, and oh god why does it have venomous spurs!? And then you find out it lays eggs too. The difference is that the Platypus is somehow functional despite being a crazy mishmash or leftover animal pieces

-BlobVanDam on "Scarred"

Offline Laich21DT

• I AM ERROR.
« Reply #80 on: February 27, 2014, 02:44:26 PM »
Also, coke in a Black Russian?! Um, no.
I've got a plan, it involves pulling up our bootstraps, oiling up a couple of asses, and doing a little plowing of our own...... not gay sex. -Mac, It's Always Sunny in Philadelphia

Offline Chino

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #81 on: February 27, 2014, 02:52:16 PM »

To whoever brought up the fact that they don't like the fact they're expected to tip more on a higher bill despite no more work being required of the server, just keep in mind that in most places, the server has to tip out a certain % of their sales to the bar, host, bus, etc..

I think you were talking about me and the post I made that said;

"I don't like the percentage system. Say my girlfriend and I go to Plan B Burger Bar, and get two hamburgers and water. The bill would be like $22. If we got Steaks and beer, it would be $50+. The water/waitress did virtually no extra work whatsoever, yet they expect double the tip. I pay it because I'm not a dick, but it doesn't mean I have to like it."

I honestly just don't fully understand it, but I comply anyway. You mentioned to keep in mind of the "bar, host, bus, etc..", and I fully get that. I do remember them. It's the reason why I tip 20% for shitty service, and closer to 30% on exceptional service. I also use a card for tips so the waiter/waitress doesn't screw their coworkers over by pocketing what I leave them. My only issue is that, as a consumer, I feel the tip is about the amount of work you do and the effort you put in, not the total bill. I regularly go out to places by myself and leave a $6 tip on a $12 order. I'm just saying, whether the waiter is carrying burgers or a rack of ribs, the amount of work they (as in everyone involved) have to do was exactly the same. It may actually be a little less for the ribs even though they cost more. The amount of steps the server takes, the amount of dishes washed, the mess on the table to be cleaned up, is all the same amount of work. But, as I said, I still pay on the percentage basis because I don't want semen in my food the next time I eat there.

Also, a little sidebar. I absolutely can't stand when I'm out to eat and the waiter/waitress feels compelled to tell me about the shitty customers they just had that didn't tip them enough, or how many bills you have at home. I will 100% knock some money off your tip total total just for that.

Offline El Barto

• Rascal Atheistic Pig
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Bad Craziness
« Reply #82 on: February 27, 2014, 02:58:07 PM »
My question is this.  Who gets the tip?  When ordering take out, the only one's doing the work are those preparing the food.  There is no waiter or waitress involved.  The others just bag it and ring up the tab when you show up to get it.  I don't mind tipping at all, but I would want to make sure the right person gets it.
I don't think there's much difference in plating something up vs properly putting it into a takeout container. After that it gets put wherever ready orders go and is taken away by somebody fulfilling the role of a waiter at that point. The cook didn't really do much different one way or the other. Whereas the person who bags it up, throws in your various accoutrements and plasticware and such is absolutely fulfilling the role of a waiter, just for a much shorter period of time. Probably why people here are saying 10% vs 20 for an actual waiter.
Argument, the presentation of reasonable views, never makes headway against conviction, and conviction takes no part in argument because it knows.
E.F. Benson

Offline Cable

« Reply #83 on: February 27, 2014, 09:45:48 PM »
Tipping at a traditional restaurant for take out, I usually do a buck or two (order for two). If they bring it to my car, for sure a few bucks.

Pizza joints I usually don't. And my guess is the genesis of this process of tipping any place BUT fast food is the advent of paying with cards. As of maybe 8-9 years ago, paying with a credit/debit card was not an option at any place but a traditional restaurant if I recall correctly. So I think once everyone joined up with plastic, the same model of the tip line was kept at some places, minus traditional fast food.
---

Offline TempusVox

• Descendant of Primus
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #84 on: February 28, 2014, 01:17:09 AM »
Servers by and large bust their asses to bring you food. Its one of the few remaining occupations were hard work and hustle can pay off on the spot basically. If you've never tended bar or waited tables, try it sometime. I have. It aint easy. The Taco Bell worker analogy is apples to oranges. The TB window person makes at least minimum wage. He/she has other duties in the restaurant besides serving customers usually. And most full service establishments either use a server, or a bartender to assemble carry out orders.  They typically rotate, so instead of a few four or six top tables, maybe that night they have a couple of two tops and carry out. That usually means they make less that night. But they still work their butt off to assemble your order for you.

I always tip carry out 10% at least.
You don't HAVE a soul.You ARE a soul.You HAVE a body.
"I came here to drink milk and kick ass; and I just finished my milk."

Offline Laich21DT

• I AM ERROR.
« Reply #85 on: February 28, 2014, 03:08:54 AM »
 :tup Well said.

Offline ZirconBlue

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #86 on: February 28, 2014, 06:35:50 AM »

To whoever brought up the fact that they don't like the fact they're expected to tip more on a higher bill despite no more work being required of the server, just keep in mind that in most places, the server has to tip out a certain % of their sales to the bar, host, bus, etc..

I think you were talking about me and the post I made that said;

"I don't like the percentage system. Say my girlfriend and I go to Plan B Burger Bar, and get two hamburgers and water. The bill would be like $22. If we got Steaks and beer, it would be $50+. The water/waitress did virtually no extra work whatsoever, yet they expect double the tip. I pay it because I'm not a dick, but it doesn't mean I have to like it."

I honestly just don't fully understand it, but I comply anyway. You mentioned to keep in mind of the "bar, host, bus, etc..", and I fully get that. I do remember them. It's the reason why I tip 20% for shitty service, and closer to 30% on exceptional service. I also use a card for tips so the waiter/waitress doesn't screw their coworkers over by pocketing what I leave them. My only issue is that, as a consumer, I feel the tip is about the amount of work you do and the effort you put in, not the total bill. I regularly go out to places by myself and leave a $6 tip on a $12 order. I'm just saying, whether the waiter is carrying burgers or a rack of ribs, the amount of work they (as in everyone involved) have to do was exactly the same. It may actually be a little less for the ribs even though they cost more. The amount of steps the server takes, the amount of dishes washed, the mess on the table to be cleaned up, is all the same amount of work. But, as I said, I still pay on the percentage basis because I don't want semen in my food the next time I eat there.

Also, a little sidebar. I absolutely can't stand when I'm out to eat and the waiter/waitress feels compelled to tell me about the shitty customers they just had that didn't tip them enough, or how many bills you have at home. I will 100% knock some money off your tip total total just for that.

Because, in general, if you get more stuff (more food, more drinks, etc.), your bill will go up and the amount of work your server does goes up.  So, instead of coming up with some complicated algorithm to cover every exception, we just make everything nice and easy and pay a percentage.  In the end, all the variables average out. 

Offline Tick

• It's time to make a change
  • DTF.org Member
  • Just another tricky day for you
« Reply #87 on: February 28, 2014, 06:55:35 AM »
Question...
Does the person who works for 9 bucks an hour at Lowe's or Home Depot during Spring deserve tips? I know the associates who work there bust ass at the highest level! I did it.
Does the person who works at Toys R Us in December deserve tips? They kill themselves for douche bags for minimum wage!
Why is it ok for them to not get tips, but the food server putting take out in a bag should get 10%?
I'm sorry...plenty of people work that hard for minimum wage and don't get an extra nickel for doing so.
Its just my opinion.
Yup. Tick is dead on.  She's not your type.  Move on.   Tick is Obi Wan Kenobi

Offline jingle.boy

• I'm so ronery; so sad and ronery
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • DTF's resident deceased dictator
« Reply #88 on: February 28, 2014, 07:15:10 AM »
I'm with Tick.  I get the general acceptance to tip wait staff.  Key word their ... "wait".  The person bagging and ringing up my take out/pickup order (at least, the places I get take out from), didn't wait on me, or do anything special.  As I said earlier, I take out pizza, sushi and maybe fish/chips.  Nothing difficult about putting that in a box or bag, including my soy/dipping/tarter sauce, some chopsticks or cutlery.  If it takes more than 45 seconds, they've fucked something up.  No way I'm tipping for that.

On the other hand, I see the argument of ordering takeout from say Applebees or Outback or some other traditional sit-down restaurant.  That's still not worth the same amount as someone 'waiting' on me though.
That's a word salad - and take it from me, I know word salad
I fear for the day when something happens on the right that is SO nuts that even Stadler says "That's crazy".
Quote from: Puppies_On_Acid
Remember the mark of a great vocalist is if TAC hates them with a special passion

Offline Chino

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #89 on: February 28, 2014, 07:20:26 AM »
Question...
Does the person who works for 9 bucks an hour at Lowe's or Home Depot during Spring deserve tips? I know the associates who work there bust ass at the highest level! I did it.
Does the person who works at Toys R Us in December deserve tips? They kill themselves for douche bags for minimum wage!
Why is it ok for them to not get tips, but the food server putting take out in a bag should get 10%?
I'm sorry...plenty of people work that hard for minimum wage and don't get an extra nickel for doing so.
Its just my opinion.

I've tipped at home depot plenty of times, and I'm not just saying that to argue. I've needed help getting stuff in an out of a truck, and Home Depot guys have helped me load it in the middle of a hot summer day. They even take the flatbed back for me. I'll kick them a five. I also tip tow truck drivers, barbers, furniture movers, and the guys who hand dry my car when I leave a car wash.

Offline Podaar

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #90 on: February 28, 2014, 07:25:36 AM »
Chino,

I sure hope you don't get the guy at Home Depot fired. Receiving tips from customers is against company policy and is grounds for termination. Why not just get his name and call or email the store manager with a nice word about him. In the end, a promotion would mean more money in his pocket than a fiver.
"Owners of dogs will have noticed that, if you provide them with food and water and shelter and affection, they will think you are God. Whereas owners of cats are compelled to realize that, if you provide them with food and water and affection, they draw the conclusion that they are God.” — Christopher Hitchens

Offline Chino

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #91 on: February 28, 2014, 07:27:01 AM »
Chino,

I sure hope you don't get the guy at Home Depot fired. Receiving tips from customers is against company policy and is grounds for termination. Why not just get his name and call or email the store manager with a nice word about him. In the end, a promotion would mean more money in his pocket than a fiver.

I do let management know, I make sure of it. I was never suppose to take tips at my old job, but I received them all the time anyway. People would literally force money in my pocket. 

Offline El Barto

• Rascal Atheistic Pig
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Bad Craziness
« Reply #92 on: February 28, 2014, 08:10:46 AM »
On the other hand, I see the argument of ordering takeout from say Applebees or Outback or some other traditional sit-down restaurant.  That's still not worth the same amount as someone 'waiting' on me though.
This was my point all along, and why I specified real restaurants in the poll. Like most of us have said, there's no reason to tip employees at a place that specializes in takeout. It's the real restaurants where this is applicable.

Question...
Its just my opinion.
If the management of Lowes or We B Toys decided to reduce prices by 15%, stop paying their employees and encourage tipping, then yes I would (assuming I even continued patronage with them after such a dick move). It's not that you or the toy seller don't work as hard. It's that you're already compensated whereas the asshole restaurant industry shuffled their staff's compensation onto the customer decades ago. Much like the Taco Hell analogy, apples to oranges.
Argument, the presentation of reasonable views, never makes headway against conviction, and conviction takes no part in argument because it knows.
E.F. Benson

Offline Podaar

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #93 on: February 28, 2014, 08:22:21 AM »
This was my point all along, and why I specified real restaurants in the poll. Like most of us have said, there's no reason to tip employees at a place that specializes in takeout. It's the real restaurants where this is applicable.

This right here is why I was confused with the original post. I literally can't think of a time when I've ordered take-away from any of these types of restaurants. I'm either ordering from places that specialize in it or from the complete opposite end of the spectrum; local, one of a kind, high end restaurants where the manager or host(ess) takes your card and brings you back the bagged order from the kitchen. It's not that I don't go to traditional chain restaurants its that I go to them to sit down and have a meal.

I'm tempted to order some take-away from Macaroni Grill tonight just to see who prepares my order so I can tip them!  :lol  I've been persuaded by this thread that there are instances where it may be appropriate.
"Owners of dogs will have noticed that, if you provide them with food and water and shelter and affection, they will think you are God. Whereas owners of cats are compelled to realize that, if you provide them with food and water and affection, they draw the conclusion that they are God.” — Christopher Hitchens

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
« Reply #94 on: February 28, 2014, 08:32:35 AM »
In the normal course, I might not get takeout from one of those types of restaurants either.  But there are definitely scenarios where it makes sense to get takeout rather than sitting down.  For instance:

(A)  I end up working a lot of late nights, unfortunately.  Comes with the territory.  If I'm working on something late, I want to get home sooner rather than later.  Every minute I spend here is a minute less at home with the family.  You get the picture.  But I don't always want pizza or Chinese delivery either.  So I often order takeout from a nicer place and just quickly pick it up to bring back here so I can continue working and get home.

(B)  Sometimes, I may want a decent restaurant dinner while watching a movie at home.  In those cases, it's nice to phone in an order, pick it up on the way home after stopping at Redbox, and then enjoy some nice family time without me or my wife having to cook.
"The Supreme Court of the United States has descended from the disciplined legal reasoning of John Marshall and Joseph Story to the mystical aphorisms of the fortune cookie."

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #95 on: February 28, 2014, 08:46:58 AM »
You can definitely tell who has never worked in the industry.

Tick, why do you keep asking why you should tip for someone throwing your stuff in a bag when no one said you said?  The problem seems to be you assuming that that is all the takeout person ever does, when several of us who have been in the industry have explained that that is often not the case.  Please re-read this thread and then consider what you keep saying.  Thanks.

Offline El Barto

• Rascal Atheistic Pig
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Bad Craziness
« Reply #96 on: February 28, 2014, 08:50:56 AM »

This right here is why I was confused with the original post. I literally can't think of a time when I've ordered take-away from any of these types of restaurants. I'm either ordering from places that specialize in it or from the complete opposite end of the spectrum; local, one of a kind, high end restaurants where the manager or host(ess) takes your card and brings you back the bagged order from the kitchen. It's not that I don't go to traditional chain restaurants its that I go to them to sit down and have a meal.

I'm tempted to order some take-away from Macaroni Grill tonight just to see who prepares my order so I can tip them!  :lol  I've been persuaded by this thread that there are instances where it may be appropriate.
Down here it's not at all uncommon. People pick up Tex-mex all the time. Plenty of us prefer better quality Chinese than what the cheapo deliver places offer up. For that matter, Thai, Korean of Vietnamese places tend to be sitdown places more often than not. Black Eyed Pea (a Southern version of Applebees) does a booming take-out business, despite being primarily a real restaurant. For a buck or two more than I'd spend on a Wataburger and fries I can pick up the best burger in Dallas (with fries) from Lucky's and take it home. Lastly, there are plenty of times when I'm wanting a good chicken fried steak, and don't feel like the hassle of making the damn thing. No traditional carry out places offer such a thing.

BTW, doesn't Macaroni Grill have curbside pickup? Don't eat there myself, but seem to recall that it might and that'd screw up your experiment.
E.F. Benson

Offline Chino

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #97 on: February 28, 2014, 08:57:02 AM »

Tick, why do you keep asking why you should tip for someone throwing your stuff in a bag when no one said you said?  The problem seems to be you assuming that that is all the takeout person ever does, when several of us who have been in the industry have explained that that is often not the case.  Please re-read this thread and then consider what you keep saying.  Thanks.

I think Tick's saying that other people in different industries work just as hard, but are in no position to receive tips. For example, you call customer support for something, those people go for 8 hours straight, five days a week. That job is probably insane most days. They never receive tips.
« Last Edit: February 28, 2014, 09:11:25 AM by Chino »

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
« Reply #98 on: February 28, 2014, 08:59:20 AM »
I'll just add this:  I get why tipping evolved.  It had its place.  And in some instances, it still has a valid place.  But in general, I don't like what it has evolved into, and it often bugs me.  That said, I recognize that in many types of establishments, it is expected.  So if I can afford to patronize the type of establishment where tipping is expected, I tip cheerfully and, unless the server (or bell person, or whoever) has a severe attitude or has made a severe screw-up, I tend to tip generously.  And even then, I may still tip generously.  I have been in situations where, for example, a waitress is extremely rude.  Rather than stiffing her, I gave her well-above the expected tip and told her something along the lines of, "You must be having a REALLY rough day to have treated us like this.  I've had my share of those days too.  I hope this little token brightens your day a little so you can cheer up and treat the next table a little nicer.  You seem like you have it in you."  My wife was pissed at me.  :lol 

As far as take-out, I honestly don't know what the rules are "supposed to be."  I may be wrong, but I have the sense that a tip is expected, but the expectation is a smaller tip.  That's what I usually go with.  Yeah, they may not be waiting on me like if I was sitting at a table.  But it's still an industry where, as Barto put it, the decision was made a long time ago that a big chunk of the staff's pay was foisted off directly on the customer.  They could do away with tipping and just charge more for the food, but they don't.  I get it.  And I don't have a problem with it.  I tip because I think it is expected that that is part of how the people who work those jobs make their money.
"The Supreme Court of the United States has descended from the disciplined legal reasoning of John Marshall and Joseph Story to the mystical aphorisms of the fortune cookie."

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #99 on: February 28, 2014, 09:02:46 AM »

I think Tick's saying that other people different industries work just as hard, but are in no position to receive tips. For example, you call customer support for something, those people go for 8 hours straight, five days a week. That job is probably insane most days. They never receive tips.

I get that, but those people already get an hourly wage, while the person doing your takeout gets paid an hourly that is far below minimum wage (because they are considered a tipped employee).  Do I think the whole system is fair?  Nope.  But it's the way it is.

Offline PuffyPat

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #100 on: February 28, 2014, 09:07:32 AM »
I usually tip a dollar or two for take out because they have to deal with pricks who refuse to tip for take out, so I try to do my part to outweigh them. It's not much, but it's always appreciated.
prog sucks
Even if you're not serious, I'm going to pretend you are and use this as proof that not all heroes wear capes.

Offline Podaar

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #101 on: February 28, 2014, 09:36:11 AM »
Okay. I'm going to throw this into the discussion and it will illustrate my ignorance of the restaurant business and the compensation for its employees.

My assumption was that wait staff and bartending staff were paid below minimum and rely on tips to make a good living. Thus, they are a target for a generous tip...especially if they do a great job.

Assumption number two was that management, host staff and cooking staff make a good salary commensurate to the quality of the restaurant/food.

Assumption number three was that salaried employees were assembling take-away orders.

If these assumptions are wrong (which appears true) and non-wait staff employees are relying on tips to round out their income, I must say the restaurant business has done a poor job of educating their customers. I may be clueless on  how these things work but I don't feel that is entirely my fault.

Offline El Barto

• Rascal Atheistic Pig
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Bad Craziness
« Reply #102 on: February 28, 2014, 09:46:20 AM »
One is true. Two might be somewhat true (not sure hosting staff is salaried or if they rely on being tipped out by the waitstaff--probably a combination of both). I know Maitre' D's are a different thing altogether as some of them will actually pay to get the job for it's money making potential. Three might vary by restaurant and what their predominant service is, but by and large it's going to be tipped employees taking care of it. 
E.F. Benson

Offline Dublagent66

• Devouring consciousness...
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • ...Digesting power
« Reply #103 on: February 28, 2014, 10:33:05 AM »
I don't think there's much difference in plating something up vs properly putting it into a takeout container. After that it gets put wherever ready orders go and is taken away by somebody fulfilling the role of a waiter at that point. The cook didn't really do much different one way or the other. Whereas the person who bags it up, throws in your various accoutrements and plasticware and such is absolutely fulfilling the role of a waiter, just for a much shorter period of time. Probably why people here are saying 10% vs 20 for an actual waiter.

Sorry, but I don't buy that.  There's a lot more to waiting tables compared to throwing stuff in a bag for take out.  There really is no comparison.
"Two things are infinite; the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the universe." -Albert Einstein
"There's not a pill you can take.  There's not a class you can go to.  Stupid is foreva."  -Ron White

Offline Tick

• It's time to make a change
  • DTF.org Member
  • Just another tricky day for you
« Reply #104 on: February 28, 2014, 10:33:59 AM »

I think Tick's saying that other people different industries work just as hard, but are in no position to receive tips. For example, you call customer support for something, those people go for 8 hours straight, five days a week. That job is probably insane most days. They never receive tips.

I get that, but those people already get an hourly wage, while the person doing your takeout gets paid an hourly that is far below minimum wage (because they are considered a tipped employee).  Do I think the whole system is fair?  Nope.  But it's the way it is.
I am going on the premise the person handing me that take out gets minimum wage. I thought they did? If they did, I see no reason to tip for takeout. Chino illustrated my feelings. If that were the case what would make them worthy of the tip just for doing a job. I think a wait staff deserves to be tipped well! Anyone who doesn’t tip well after good service is the ultimate douche.
Okay. I'm going to throw this into the discussion and it will illustrate my ignorance of the restaurant business and the compensation for its employees.

My assumption was that wait staff and bartending staff were paid below minimum and rely on tips to make a good living. Thus, they are a target for a generous tip...especially if they do a great job.

Assumption number two was that management, host staff and cooking staff make a good salary commensurate to the quality of the restaurant/food.

Assumption number three was that salaried employees were assembling take-away orders.

If these assumptions are wrong (which appears true) and non-wait staff employees are relying on tips to round out their income, I must say the restaurant business has done a poor job of educating their customers. I may be clueless on  how these things work but I don't feel that is entirely my fault.
Right on! This is where I'm at on this whole thing.
Yup. Tick is dead on.  She's not your type.  Move on.   Tick is Obi Wan Kenobi