Poll

So who tips for carry-out orders? And obviously I'm referring to actual restaurants; not Dominos.

Yup.
Nah, screw'um.

Author Topic: Tipping for carry-out  (Read 10229 times)

Offline ReaPsTA

• DT.net Veteran
  • Addicted to the pain
Re: Tipping for carry-out
« Reply #35 on: February 26, 2014, 05:32:31 PM »
I won't do it.  Tipping is bad for everyone.  It's an excuse for restaurant owners not to pay their servers and an excuse for normal people to be constantly guilty.
So are you one of those people that actually has the balls to go full on Mr. Pink at a restaurant?

m?

If I sit down at a restaurant and order food I'll tip 20% minimum unless they egregiously fuck up.  Same with bartenders.  It's rude not to.  They need it to get paid.

I'm hoping though I can be a small part of society not adopting any new tipping practices.
Take a chance you may die
Over and over again

Offline El Barto

• Rascal Atheistic Pig
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Bad Craziness
« Reply #36 on: February 26, 2014, 06:46:58 PM »
I won't do it.  Tipping is bad for everyone.  It's an excuse for restaurant owners not to pay their servers and an excuse for normal people to be constantly guilty.
So are you one of those people that actually has the balls to go full on Mr. Pink at a restaurant?

m?

If I sit down at a restaurant and order food I'll tip 20% minimum unless they egregiously fuck up.  Same with bartenders.  It's rude not to.  They need it to get paid.

I'm hoping though I can be a small part of society not adopting any new tipping practices.
Are you seriously somebody who doesn't know who Mr. Pink is?

Anyhoo, I'm right there with you on not being at the vanguard of new tipping practices. Like you said earlier, it's a shitty tactic by owners to shuffle off some of the operating costs onto the consumer (although techinically he's just moving it to somebody else's ledger). However, I'm not so sure that this is a new thing. I think it's been this way for ages, and it's just that people are finding out slowly that it's not too different than serving your food on a plate.

Think about it this way. If some yuppie douchebag draws me a tasty beer, I'm going to tip him a buck. Buck per drink is the norm down here, and it's pretty much universal. Unless he's British or German it takes him 30 seconds, tops, and if it's a restaurant he doesn't even have to ring it up. The same bartender spends 30-90 seconds on taking your order. Spends another 2 minutes getting your meal ready for travel. Then has to run your card and have you sign it. It's easily 5 minutes worth of work that he's not spending on the people sitting in front of him. Just seems like that's worth the buck he would have gotten for serving me up a beer.
Argument, the presentation of reasonable views, never makes headway against conviction, and conviction takes no part in argument because it knows.
E.F. Benson

Offline Aythesryche

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #37 on: February 26, 2014, 08:00:31 PM »
A company I used to work with a long time ago used to order a massive amount of food from a local pizza joint once a month. 8 pizzas, a bunch of hoagies, etc. I knew this place only had one guy in the back making the pizzas and I'm sure he got slammed when our order came in. But the guy always managed to get our order right and the food was always good and hot. So, when I would ride down to the shop to pick up the food in the company van, I would walk in the back kitchen and give the guy a $20 and a pack of smokes. He always appreciated it and it showed in the quality of the food. Did I need to do that? Absolutely not. However, I wanted to because I was appreciative of the guy busting his balls to get our food made the way we like.

If I'm ever in a nice restaurant and the food is genuinely exceptional, I usually ask to see the cook and I tip him directly in addition to something for the waiter/waitress that brought the food out for me.

Offline bout to crash

• Admiral Jackbar
  • DT.net Veteran
  • Instant Erection!
« Reply #38 on: February 26, 2014, 09:16:47 PM »
Usually $1 for stuff like pizza or Chinese, $2 if the person at the counter is especially good/friendly/cute.
Oh Jackie, always jumping to the most homoerotic possibility.

Offline ReaPsTA

• DT.net Veteran
  • Addicted to the pain
« Reply #39 on: February 26, 2014, 09:47:08 PM »
Are you seriously somebody who doesn't know who Mr. Pink is?

I realized later that it's a Reservoir Dogs Reference.

Think about it this way. If some yuppie douchebag draws me a tasty beer, I'm going to tip him a buck. Buck per drink is the norm down here, and it's pretty much universal. Unless he's British or German it takes him 30 seconds, tops, and if it's a restaurant he doesn't even have to ring it up. The same bartender spends 30-90 seconds on taking your order. Spends another 2 minutes getting your meal ready for travel. Then has to run your card and have you sign it. It's easily 5 minutes worth of work that he's not spending on the people sitting in front of him. Just seems like that's worth the buck he would have gotten for serving me up a beer.

I think the issue is that we don't know why we tip anymore.  Is it because the person works hard?  Everyone at the restaurant deserves a tip then.  Is it because the person personally served you?  Is it because they provided a service?  To me, someone who just pours your coffee just pours your coffee.  A barista actually has to make drinks for people.  But this is too complicated for society to agree upon apparently.  No one knows where the line is.

The issue isn't the money (although that doesn't help).  It's the social pressure.  I basically hate getting take-out anywhere now, because I feel like they want a tip.  I won't even leave one if I'm feeling nice because I don't want to create expectation.  Tipping is all about implied social rules.  I want there to be fewer social expectations imposed on me, not more.  The cascading growth of tipping in America is going to create a lot of guilt, bitterness, and anger.  And we're all going to agree with it because it's the right thing to do or some bullshit.

Whatever.  I'll hold out as long as I can.
Over and over again

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #40 on: February 26, 2014, 09:57:58 PM »
Tipping has nothing to do with restaurants not wanting to pay their employees.  They legally cannot pay them more than whatever the set amount for servers is (I think $3 and change). 

But I agree that tipping has gotten way out of hand, in regards to tipping popping up in every little place now.  But I did have Seinfeld on the brain a few weeks ago when my new mattress was delivered and I offered each of the delivery guys a bottle of water. :biggrin:

Offline ReaPsTA

• DT.net Veteran
  • Addicted to the pain
« Reply #41 on: February 26, 2014, 10:06:15 PM »
Tipping has nothing to do with restaurants not wanting to pay their employees.  They legally cannot pay them more than whatever the set amount for servers is (I think $3 and change). 

Why did that happen in the first place though?

But I agree that tipping has gotten way out of hand, in regards to tipping popping up in every little place now.  But I did have Seinfeld on the brain a few weeks ago when my new mattress was delivered and I offered each of the delivery guys a bottle of water. :biggrin:

Kudos for the basic human decency.
Over and over again

Offline Jamesman42

• There you'll find me
  • DT.net Member
  • Spiral OUT
« Reply #42 on: February 26, 2014, 10:26:59 PM »
At this point, how could tipping go away as the accepted way of paying those sorts of employees?

Offline MetalJunkie

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #43 on: February 26, 2014, 11:22:03 PM »
I'm fairly generous when it comes to tipping. Anywhere I dine in, I'll usually throw down a 5, give or take a buck or so, if they did a good job. I base my tip on how prompt, attentive, and respectful the server is, not on how the food tastes. They had nothing to do with that. As such, I don't tip for carry-out. They prepared my food, but they didn't constantly serve me over a period of 20 or 30 minutes.
Listen! Do you smell something?

Offline ReaPsTA

• DT.net Veteran
  • Addicted to the pain
« Reply #44 on: February 26, 2014, 11:25:52 PM »
I'm fairly generous when it comes to tipping. Anywhere I dine in, I'll usually throw down a 5, give or take a buck or so, if they did a good job. I base my tip on how prompt, attentive, and respectful the server is, not on how the food tastes. They had nothing to do with that. As such, I don't tip for carry-out. They prepared my food, but they didn't constantly serve me over a period of 20 or 30 minutes.

I agree with your thinking, but I think society is starting to move away from it.
Over and over again

Offline Perpetual Change

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #45 on: February 27, 2014, 04:23:01 AM »
I never do carry out, and I'm not sure why I'd tip for it.

Oddly, the first time I encountered it, I was picking up a fairly expensive order my boss had me fetch for a group of us who were working late. I was using his company card, and the bill was easily over $100. I asked the person I was with whether it was customary to tip for carry-out, but I didn't want to get into trouble for adding to the bill, so I just left the area blank.

Offline Tick

• It's time to make a change
  • DTF.org Member
  • Just another tricky day for you
« Reply #46 on: February 27, 2014, 05:54:46 AM »
I still don't get it...I should get in my car, use my gas, pay good money to walk in a restaurant and pick up a bag? and the reason is because someone actually put the food I'm paying for in the bag and handed it to me?

So for doing that I should give them extra money?
Sorry, they makes no sense to me.

Now when I sit at a table and someone is pleasant and attentive to my needs as I enjoy a meal in there establishment, they get a good tip from me.
Tipping to pickup take out food is fucked up to me.
Yup. Tick is dead on.  She's not your type.  Move on.   Tick is Obi Wan Kenobi

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #47 on: February 27, 2014, 06:46:47 AM »
Amen, Tick.
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
Winger Theater Forums........or WTF.  ;D
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Offline Perpetual Change

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #48 on: February 27, 2014, 06:48:45 AM »
Yeah, not wanting to deal with going out myself to pick something up is the primary reason I do carry out to begin with. Otherwise, I'll just get delivery.

Offline Chino

• Be excellent to each other.
  • DT.net Veteran
« Reply #49 on: February 27, 2014, 07:03:10 AM »
I still don't get it...I should get in my car, use my gas, pay good money to walk in a restaurant and pick up a bag? and the reason is because someone actually put the food I'm paying for in the bag and handed it to me?

Now when I sit at a table and someone is pleasant and attentive to my needs as I enjoy a meal in there establishment, they get a good tip from me.

I think I have sympathy because I worked in a kitchen for so long. Some (all) kitchens can be absolute hell. The chefs will sometimes get tips, if that's the restaurant's policy. I feel bad that when I get take out. The chefs have to do the same amount of work, but get nothing simply because I didn't eat it in the restaurant.

For example, on Valentine's day, my girlfriend and I got pizza to go from our favorite pizza joint (we did the whole dinner bullshit the next night). The place was freaking mobbed. We go there a lot, and I've never seen it like that. I left the guys $8 bucks on $30 worth of take out pizza. You could see in the kitchen that it was a fucking warzone, and I felt bad that they didn't get rewarded for hard work just because some cute girl wasn't bringing my food to a table.
« Last Edit: February 27, 2014, 07:11:36 AM by Chino »

Offline MetalJunkie

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #50 on: February 27, 2014, 07:32:32 AM »

I felt bad that they didn't get rewarded for hard work just because some cute girl wasn't bringing my food to a table.
They got rewarded by making more than minimum wage. Can't say the same for servers.
Listen! Do you smell something?

Offline Chino

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #51 on: February 27, 2014, 07:38:12 AM »

I felt bad that they didn't get rewarded for hard work just because some cute girl wasn't bringing my food to a table.
They got rewarded by making more than minimum wage. Can't say the same for servers.

I wouldn't say that. They make more than the servers, but I'd bet my left nut that the guys cooking at that pizza joint aren't making more than $10 an hour. The servers are irrelevant as I am not using them.

Offline Podaar

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #52 on: February 27, 2014, 07:39:19 AM »
This is an interesting discussion to me mainly because I can't figure out where you guys are getting your take out! Chefs who need tips to make ends meet? Bartenders who prepare the take-away orders? I don't think I'd care to have food from a place that doesn't pay their chefs well or makes their bartenders do double duty. The fanciest restaurant I can recall getting take-out from was taken care of by the manager, but usually it's someone on the host(ess) staff.

I've honestly never considered giving a tip to a cashier for the privileged of patronizing their establishment. And I'm usually considered an excessive tipper. It drives Mrs. P crazy that I tend to tip wait staff (if they're good) by the hour regardless of the cost of the food.

We buy our whole bean coffee from a local roaster and have been doing so for 14 years. We typically go through 1-1/2 pounds per week between home and the office so I know these people pretty well. This roaster also has coffee bar where they prepare and sell drinks and the register just happens to next to the drink bar (for obvious reasons). One day while picking up my order, the roasters wife, Alice, swiped my debit card and brought me the receipt which I signed. She looked at the empty tip line and looked me right in the eye and said, "Nice tip." And she wasn't kidding.

Now I ask you this, is that a proper attitude? Resenting not getting a buck tip for someone who's spent at least $12.00 per week on whole beans with your company for 14 fucking years? Keep in mind that if I ever get a drink at that store that I have never failed to tip whoever prepared my drink, including Alice. I'd been bringing them a bottle of wine for Christmas for a decade to show my appreciation for their excellent product...and I'm not even Christian!

Her husband raced over when he saw the storm cloud on my face, shooed Alice away, credited my card and gave me the beans. I think the tip culture is getting out of hand. Apparently he felt the same way.
« Last Edit: February 27, 2014, 08:03:21 AM by Podaar »
"Owners of dogs will have noticed that, if you provide them with food and water and shelter and affection, they will think you are God. Whereas owners of cats are compelled to realize that, if you provide them with food and water and affection, they draw the conclusion that they are God.” — Christopher Hitchens

Offline Chino

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #53 on: February 27, 2014, 07:58:21 AM »
I can't figure out where you guys are getting your take out! Chefs who need tips to make ends meet? Bartenders who prepare the take-away orders?

This describes probably 90% of food establishments in the US.

Offline El Barto

• Rascal Atheistic Pig
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Bad Craziness
« Reply #54 on: February 27, 2014, 08:21:25 AM »
I can't figure out where you guys are getting your take out! Chefs who need tips to make ends meet? Bartenders who prepare the take-away orders?

Can't speak for the chef payment part, but anyplace that has people eating at the bar has a bartender who doubles as a waiter. He's usually the one in charge of takeout. That's why I made the point earlier about the silliness of tipping him a buck for drawing you a beer, but not for spending 5 minutes getting your order ready.
Argument, the presentation of reasonable views, never makes headway against conviction, and conviction takes no part in argument because it knows.
E.F. Benson

Offline Podaar

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #55 on: February 27, 2014, 08:30:53 AM »

Can't speak for the chef payment part, but anyplace that has people eating at the bar has a bartender who doubles as a waiter. He's usually the one in charge of takeout. That's why I made the point earlier about the silliness of tipping him a buck for drawing you a beer, but not for spending 5 minutes getting your order ready.

I vow from this day forward if a bartender ever brings me take-away I will tip them the same or better than if they brought me a drink. I'm totally cool with that.
"Owners of dogs will have noticed that, if you provide them with food and water and shelter and affection, they will think you are God. Whereas owners of cats are compelled to realize that, if you provide them with food and water and affection, they draw the conclusion that they are God.” — Christopher Hitchens

Online cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #56 on: February 27, 2014, 09:29:07 AM »
Tipping a bar tender is a totally different subject since a bar tender can deserve a little or large tip depending on what you are asking the bar tender to serve you.

Offline Chino

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #57 on: February 27, 2014, 09:32:55 AM »
Tipping a bar tender is a totally different subject since a bar tender can deserve a little or large tip depending on what you are asking the bar tender to serve you.

Way more goes into tipping a bartender than a normal waiter or waitress.

Offline El Barto

• Rascal Atheistic Pig
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Bad Craziness
« Reply #58 on: February 27, 2014, 09:37:10 AM »
Part of the reason I try my damnedest to avoid drinking at bars. Quite possibly the biggest ripoff ever created in a society that has mastered the art of ripping people off.
E.F. Benson

Offline Tick

• It's time to make a change
  • DTF.org Member
  • Just another tricky day for you
« Reply #59 on: February 27, 2014, 09:47:44 AM »

I think I have sympathy because I worked in a kitchen for so long. Some (all) kitchens can be absolute hell. The chefs will sometimes get tips, if that's the restaurant's policy. I feel bad that when I get take out. The chefs have to do the same amount of work, but get nothing simply because I didn't eat it in the restaurant.

For example, on Valentine's day, my girlfriend and I got pizza to go from our favorite pizza joint (we did the whole dinner bullshit the next night). The place was freaking mobbed. We go there a lot, and I've never seen it like that. I left the guys $8 bucks on $30 worth of take out pizza. You could see in the kitchen that it was a fucking warzone, and I felt bad that they didn't get rewarded for hard work just because some cute girl wasn't bringing my food to a table.
I feel like this. I am picking up my own food!  Sure you’re going to have some days that are balls to the wall at your job. Welcome to life. I worked at Lowe’s for almost 2 years. It’s insane on weekends during the spring in that store. They call a certain period of time…”The 100 days of hell” That’s actually what the management call it. No one was handing me tips because they felt sorry for me that I was working in some insane conditions at times.
That’s the way it is at times for every human being in every walk of life. I scrap for every dollar I can make get to pay my bills and have a half way decent quality standard of life.
 I can’t afford to hand someone extra money to hand me take out. I just can’t do it. To me being able to pick up Chinese food or a pizza or whatever is a luxury as it is.  I can’t afford to pay extra for those types of things. I would rather give 5 dollars to a homeless Veteran who isn’t working at all, and I do when I can.

Yup. Tick is dead on.  She's not your type.  Move on.   Tick is Obi Wan Kenobi

Offline jammindude

« Reply #60 on: February 27, 2014, 10:53:22 AM »
Part of the reason I try my damnedest to avoid drinking at bars. Quite possibly the biggest ripoff ever created in a society that has mastered the art of ripping people off.

Amen....$8 for a Black Russian.   AND THEN THEY PUT FREAKIN COKE IN IT!!!   THERE IS *NO COKE* IN A BLACK RUSSIAN!!!
"Better the pride that resides in a citizen of the world.
Than the pride that divides when a colorful rag is unfurled." - Neil Peart

The Jammin Dude Show - https://www.youtube.com/user/jammindude

Offline Chino

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #61 on: February 27, 2014, 11:08:39 AM »

That's why I get loaded prior, and I bring in JD nippers and order Cokes.

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #62 on: February 27, 2014, 11:12:34 AM »

Amen....$8 for a Black Russian.   AND THEN THEY PUT FREAKIN COKE IN IT!!!   THERE IS *NO COKE* IN A BLACK RUSSIAN!!!

Duh.  If you put coke in a Black Russian, you are a dope.  If you put coke in a White Russian, it becomes a Colorado Bulldog.

Offline Cool Chris

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #63 on: February 27, 2014, 11:17:49 AM »
I realize that being a 37 year old who sits in his car with his buddy drinking bourbon and coke with coke purchased from Jack in the Box before going in to the club isn't among the proudest moments of my life, it certainly ranks high up there on the most economical.
"Nostalgia is just the ability to forget the things that sucked" - Nelson DeMille, 'Up Country'

Offline jammindude

« Reply #64 on: February 27, 2014, 11:20:10 AM »

Duh.  If you put coke in a Black Russian, you are a dope.  If you put coke in a White Russian, it becomes a Colorado Bulldog.

And yet, I actually had a bartender argue with me...."It depends on what part of the country you're in."    Bull crap!  Look it up in ANY bartender's manual.     If you add Coke, it's a *DIRTY* Black Russian.   I did not order a Dirty Black Russian.    Give me what I freakin ordered!
"Better the pride that resides in a citizen of the world.
Than the pride that divides when a colorful rag is unfurled." - Neil Peart

The Jammin Dude Show - https://www.youtube.com/user/jammindude

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #65 on: February 27, 2014, 11:21:40 AM »
Well, it's true that drink ingredients can vary based on where you are, but I've never known any drink maker with a clue who thought a Black Russian was anything other than vodka and Kahlua.

Offline Chino

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #66 on: February 27, 2014, 11:24:58 AM »
My friends and I used to just make up names and see if the bartender would pretend like they knew what we were talking about. Names like Peach Jefferson and Raspberry Rage.

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #67 on: February 27, 2014, 11:26:11 AM »
Order a Screaming Viking and see what happens.

Offline El Barto

• Rascal Atheistic Pig
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Bad Craziness
« Reply #68 on: February 27, 2014, 11:41:54 AM »
I'll bet every bartender in America is onto the whole Screaming Viking thing by now. In fact, I suspect there are probably 5 different regional cocktails bearing the name.
E.F. Benson

Online King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Take that Beethoven, you deaf bastard!!
« Reply #69 on: February 27, 2014, 11:44:17 AM »
Chino, you must have gone poor tipping the movie theater valet ever time you saw Avatar. :lol
I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down'.” - Bob Newhart
So wait, we're spelling it wrong and king is spelling it right? What is going on here? :lol -- BlobVanDam
"Oh, I am definitely a jackass!" - TAC