Poll

So who tips for carry-out orders? And obviously I'm referring to actual restaurants; not Dominos.

Yup.
Nah, screw'um.

Author Topic: Tipping for carry-out  (Read 10038 times)

Online El Barto

• Rascal Atheistic Pig
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Bad Craziness
Tipping for carry-out
« on: February 26, 2014, 12:55:39 PM »
I get a lot of take-out, and up until a year or so ago I never knew it was appropriate or customary (for some). Once I talked to my brother about it and learned the ins and outs, it made a lot more sense and depending on the place I'll usually throw them a buck or two. Which leads to the next question which is what's appropriate? My thinking is a buck a bag (keep in mind that Dallas is comparatively low cost to the rest of America). A lot of other folk say it should be 10%.

So who here does what?
Argument, the presentation of reasonable views, never makes headway against conviction, and conviction takes no part in argument because it knows.
E.F. Benson

Offline Cool Chris

• DTF.org Alumni
Re: Tipping for carry-out
« Reply #1 on: February 26, 2014, 01:16:10 PM »
Probably could go in General Discussion?

We don't get a lot of take-out, but I'll toss in a couple bucks if we have been there before and enjoyed their food and service; and our food is ready when they said it would be, and I can get in and out quickly. Plus it helps to round the dollar amount to a whole number.
"Nostalgia is just the ability to forget the things that sucked" - Nelson DeMille, 'Up Country'

Offline ariich

• Roulette Supervillain
  • Global Moderator
  • sexin' you later
« Reply #2 on: February 26, 2014, 01:43:02 PM »
As highly political as this topic is, it does indeed belong in GD.

Ariich is a freak, or somehow has more hours in the day than everyone else.
I be am boner inducing.

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #3 on: February 26, 2014, 01:43:32 PM »
It all depends.  If you are picking up a pizza or something from Subway or Quiznos, then, nah, no tip is necessary, but if you are picking up food that requires a lot of bagging and work the takeout person has to put together (like making salads or putting dressings or whatnot in little to-go containers), then, yeah, a tip of some kind is probably a good idea, if not appreciated.

Offline rumborak

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #4 on: February 26, 2014, 01:45:28 PM »
Never. And I don't want to start the trend either, because tips already have ballooned over the years (now 20% is essentially expected).
"I liked when Myung looked like a women's figure skating champion."

Offline jingle.boy

• I'm so ronery; so sad and ronery
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • DTF's resident deceased dictator
« Reply #5 on: February 26, 2014, 01:47:25 PM »
Never.  I've never heard that this is customary.  They're just a cashier ringing up your food.  Do you tip the cashier at Taco Bell?  Tipping wait staff is because they bring the food directly to your table, bringing and refilling drinks, (should) share with bussers for clearing your table and host/ess for seating you etc...  To grab a bag or two of food off the counter behind them and ring it up isn't tip-worthy.
That's a word salad - and take it from me, I know word salad
I fear for the day when something happens on the right that is SO nuts that even Stadler says "That's crazy".
Quote from: Puppies_On_Acid
Remember the mark of a great vocalist is if TAC hates them with a special passion

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #6 on: February 26, 2014, 01:48:00 PM »
We pick up pizza every Friday night from the same place. When I get the bill, I always circle the total and cross a line through the tip line.

So, NO, I do not tip for take out.

It all depends.  If you are picking up a pizza or something from Subway or Quiznos, then, nah, no tip is necessary, but if you are picking up food that requires a lot of bagging and work the takeout person has to put together (like making salads or putting dressings or whatnot in little to-go containers), then, yeah, a tip of some kind is probably a good idea, if not appreciated.

What's the difference, really. They package their product that they are SELLING to you. It's the least they can do.
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
Winger Theater Forums........or WTF.  ;D
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #7 on: February 26, 2014, 01:55:41 PM »
Never.  I've never heard that this is customary.  They're just a cashier ringing up your food.  Do you tip the cashier at Taco Bell?  Tipping wait staff is because they bring the food directly to your table, bringing and refilling drinks, (should) share with bussers for clearing your table and host/ess for seating you etc...  To grab a bag or two of food off the counter behind them and ring it up isn't tip-worthy.

Often times, especially at non-fast food restaurants, they are not just grabbing a bag and handing it to you.  Say you order a takeout from a steakhouse that is a steak, baked potato and salad.  Do you think your salad dressing, butter and sour cream all just magically appear in little containers? Nope. The takeout person spent time putting that all together, so they did not just grab a bag and hand it to you.  I am not saying to tip 20% on a takeout, but a few bucks is more than doable, IMO.  Plus, in some places, the bartender is the takeout person (I never had to do it, but I sympathize with those who have had to), so they are taking time away from customers who will tip them to put your takeout together.

tips already have ballooned over the years (now 20% is essentially expected).

I agree with this.  15% is not a bad tip by any means, but a lot of servers nowadays are not happy unless they get 20%+.  Granted, they probably want 20+ from the "good" tippers to counteract the bad tips, in the hopes that their average over the course of a shift comes out to 15% or more, but still, 15% is not a bad tip by any stretch of the imagination.  Me, I never tip less than $5, even if I get a bill for only $15 (like if I am out and do a quick stop at Texas Roadhouse and get just a steak and ice water). 

Offline a51502112

• Canada!
« Reply #8 on: February 26, 2014, 01:57:52 PM »
I tip only for delivery... because that job looks like it sucks. :(

Also, Mr. Pink would like a word with you. ;)

Offline jingle.boy

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #9 on: February 26, 2014, 02:03:27 PM »

Often times, especially at non-fast food restaurants, they are not just grabbing a bag and handing it to you.  Say you order a takeout from a steakhouse that is a steak, baked potato and salad.  Do you think your salad dressing, butter and sour cream all just magically appear in little containers? Nope. The takeout person spent time putting that all together, so they did not just grab a bag and hand it to you.  I am not saying to tip 20% on a takeout, but a few bucks is more than doable, IMO.  Plus, in some places, the bartender is the takeout person (I never had to do it, but I sympathize with those who have had to), so they are taking time away from customers who will tip them to put your takeout together.

First of all, who orders steak as a takeout item!?!?   :lol  The only takeout I do is Pizza, Sushi and maybe fish and chips.

The Taco Bell guy also puts the hot sauce, sour cream packets, forks, napkins etc... in the bag.  The KFC guy has a lot to do as well.  No matter what they put in the bag, I don't think bagging your order is tip-worthy.  If they need a tip, tell them never to fry bacon in the nude.  Best tip ever.   :biggrin:

Also, Mr. Pink would like a word with you. ;)

:clap:
I fear for the day when something happens on the right that is SO nuts that even Stadler says "That's crazy".
Remember the mark of a great vocalist is if TAC hates them with a special passion

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #10 on: February 26, 2014, 02:09:39 PM »
It was one example. :facepalm: :lol

And that IS a great tip! :rollin :rollin

Offline Chino

• Be excellent to each other.
  • DT.net Veteran
« Reply #11 on: February 26, 2014, 02:10:03 PM »
It really depends. If I get take out from my favorite pizza places, I'll leave a few bucks. If I get take out from the Chinese places in town, I usually don't.

Online gmillerdrake

• Proud Father.....Blessed Husband
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • 1 Timothy 2:5
« Reply #12 on: February 26, 2014, 02:30:19 PM »
The majority of the time I do not on "simple" take out (pizza/Chinese) But there are occasions if the server/hostess/front of house representative is nice or makes it a pleasant experience, I will.

Having worked for near 10 years I have a tendency to generously tip. I do t use a percentage system, really just based on how god the service is and how difficult a job they had with my 'group'. I know when we go out as a family it's not a walk in the park for a waiter/waitress with us having 3 young boys. The table gets trashed as well as the floor so I always make sure to make it worth thier while. That being said,  the servers attitude determines how much their getting. I know it sucks to wait on 'families' with kids and if you're acting all put out by it then you won't be getting as much as the server who seems unphased by it.
Without Faith.....Without Hope.....There can be No Peace of Mind

Offline Chino

• Be excellent to each other.
  • DT.net Veteran
« Reply #13 on: February 26, 2014, 02:44:33 PM »
I don't like the percentage system. Say my girlfriend and I go to Plan B Burger Bar, and get two hamburgers and water. The bill would be like $22. If we got Steaks and beer, it would be $50+. The water/waitress did virtually no extra work whatsoever, yet they expect double the tip. I pay it because I'm not a dick, but it doesn't mean I have to like it.

Online El Barto

• Rascal Atheistic Pig
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Bad Craziness
« Reply #14 on: February 26, 2014, 02:45:48 PM »
Just to add to what Kev said, it's not just that they're bagging stuff up. If there are drinks involved they're dealing with that, as well. Plus, there tends to be more stuff required than just throwing in 3 packets of flavorless taco bell hot sauce. If you don't notice the difference between how quality Chinese is bagged to go and a couple of burritos, then you're not paying attention.

However, that's missing the bigger point, which is that a waiter or bartender is the one that has to stop what he's doing to take care of it. That means that they're taking away time from their real customers and their real tips. In some places they might even miss a customer that goes to the next guy because they're putting together your order.

Those are actually the two factors I use to determine whether or not to tip for takeout. Was it a bartender who had to deal with it (down here it usually is), and was it a complicated thing to take care of. The nice lady who bagged up my lunch today took the time to show me what and where everything was, and then ran back to get horseradish in case the cook forgot to include some (he didn't). That and a nice demeanor is certainly worth a buck or two to me.
Argument, the presentation of reasonable views, never makes headway against conviction, and conviction takes no part in argument because it knows.
E.F. Benson

Online cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #15 on: February 26, 2014, 03:16:27 PM »
Ive never tipped for carry out, but some places have the carry out parking spots where they actually carry out the food to you to your car in one of those spots.  In that case I tip a dollar or two, but that's because they are actually serving you.  If I have to go in and pick up the food myself, then why should I tip? There is not service there, just a cook and someone prepping the boxes/bags.

Offline TioJorge

• Constantly Contorting
  • Ashes to ashes, fun to funky.
« Reply #16 on: February 26, 2014, 03:24:40 PM »
 :lol Not even gonna answer being that I'm completely biased and so utterly saturated in the industry that I couldn't possibly start to answer and not go on a tangent at least a little bit.

But I'd like to give a big 'ole  :rollin to some of the(ignorance of the)comments. Also Barto knows what's up.

DTP says "WOW, LOOK AT THAT GREAT POST"
RIP DTP.

Offline jammindude

« Reply #17 on: February 26, 2014, 03:26:30 PM »
In my experience (although I have since heard that it varies from place to place) the wait staff shares a cut of the tips with the rest of the staff.  (busboys and cooks)

I don't see why the cooks should miss out on their cut just because I picked it up.   So I usually tip a slightly smaller amount, and specify that it is for the cook. 
"Better the pride that resides in a citizen of the world.
Than the pride that divides when a colorful rag is unfurled." - Neil Peart

The Jammin Dude Show - https://www.youtube.com/user/jammindude

Offline King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Take that Beethoven, you deaf bastard!!
« Reply #18 on: February 26, 2014, 03:26:47 PM »
I always throw a couple buck their way since I am at home and they're bringing it to me.

What pissed me off is the Tip Cup at Dunkin' Donuts.  Now that's ridiculous.
I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down'.” - Bob Newhart
So wait, we're spelling it wrong and king is spelling it right? What is going on here? :lol -- BlobVanDam
"Oh, I am definitely a jackass!" - TAC

Offline Big Hath

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #19 on: February 26, 2014, 03:33:15 PM »
I always throw a couple buck their way since I am at home and they're bringing it to me.

we're talking about carry out, not delivery
Winger would be better!

. . . and if you gaze into the abyss, the abyss gazes also into you.

Offline King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #20 on: February 26, 2014, 03:41:43 PM »

we're talking about carry out, not delivery

Someone can read and someone cannot. :lol

No way in hell do I tip for carry out.
I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down'.” - Bob Newhart
So wait, we're spelling it wrong and king is spelling it right? What is going on here? :lol -- BlobVanDam

Online El Barto

• Rascal Atheistic Pig
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Bad Craziness
« Reply #21 on: February 26, 2014, 03:44:49 PM »
Tipping people who pour you a cup of coffee is pretty damned excessive. And what's worse, I went to some trendy-ass coffee house with my bro/sis, and the guy spins the touch-screen monitor around to you where in giant letters it reads "HOW MUCH WOULD YOU LIKE TO TIP: $1 $2 $3 OTHER NOTHING" so that everybody in line can see if you're a cheap bastard or not. Now we're publicly shaming people into tipping coffee pourers.
E.F. Benson

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #22 on: February 26, 2014, 03:48:32 PM »
Tipping people who pour you a cup of coffee is pretty damned excessive. And what's worse, I went to some trendy-ass coffee house with my bro/sis, and the guy spins the touch-screen monitor around to you where in giant letters it reads "HOW MUCH WOULD YOU LIKE TO TIP: $1 $2 $3 OTHER NOTHING" so that everybody in line can see if you're a cheap bastard or not. Now we're publicly shaming people into tipping coffee pourers.

Wouldn't matter to me. I'll wear a t-shirt stating I TIPPED NOTHING!
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Offline King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #23 on: February 26, 2014, 03:53:11 PM »

I agree.  It gives waitresses a bad name.    Where was my tips when I bagged groceries for the shoppers?

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #24 on: February 26, 2014, 04:01:13 PM »

I agree.  It gives waitresses a bad name.    Where was my tips when I bagged groceries for the shoppers?
Yeah dammit! And you probably used those little ice cream bags too for an old lady's sherbert! :lol

Online cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #25 on: February 26, 2014, 04:03:19 PM »
When I worked at Boston Market in high school, if I received a tip I could be fired.  Even though I prepped and sometimes served the meal to people.

Offline Dark Castle

• DTF.org Member
  • SmegmaPrincessX
« Reply #26 on: February 26, 2014, 04:04:18 PM »
Yeah, at some places you're not allowed to take tips.

Anywho, the only time I ever tip is if I get delivery, or at restaurants obviously.

Offline ReaperKK

• Sweeter After Difficulty
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #27 on: February 26, 2014, 04:04:40 PM »
I tip, but it's a lot less than what I normally do if I had walked in and sat down, usually something like 10%

Offline King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #28 on: February 26, 2014, 04:05:06 PM »
Looked them in the eyes to greet them.  Did not carry on a conversation with my bagger about what's going down tonight and said please and thank you

Offline Jamesman42

• There you'll find me
  • DT.net Member
  • Spiral OUT
« Reply #29 on: February 26, 2014, 04:10:06 PM »
Only if there is a tip jar.

Offline ReaPsTA

• DT.net Veteran
  • Addicted to the pain
« Reply #30 on: February 26, 2014, 04:11:44 PM »
I won't do it.  Tipping is bad for everyone.  It's an excuse for restaurant owners not to pay their servers and an excuse for normal people to be constantly guilty.

Anything you already have to tip for should be grandfathered in.  That's fine.  But no more tipping for anything else.
Take a chance you may die
Over and over again

Offline jammindude

« Reply #31 on: February 26, 2014, 04:19:39 PM »
Someone who just "pours a cup of coffee" doesn't get a tip....but BARISTAS DO.   That's a *really hard* freaking job.   (I should qualify that...  Hard do to *correctly*)

Being a barista is EXACTLY the same as being a bartender.    Learning different drinks and how to make them all.   Starbucks sends them to a school, but I honestly think baristas should form a union and get licensed.    Really good, quality baristas are difficult to find and I tip them WELL.
"Better the pride that resides in a citizen of the world.
Than the pride that divides when a colorful rag is unfurled." - Neil Peart

The Jammin Dude Show - https://www.youtube.com/user/jammindude

Offline jingle.boy

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #32 on: February 26, 2014, 04:55:59 PM »
Just to add to what Kev said, it's not just that they're bagging stuff up. If there are drinks involved they're dealing with that, as well. Plus, there tends to be more stuff required than just throwing in 3 packets of flavorless taco bell hot sauce. If you don't notice the difference between how quality Chinese is bagged to go and a couple of burritos, then you're not paying attention.

I wouldn't notice the difference because I don't order take out from those places.   :biggrin:

However, that's missing the bigger point, which is that a waiter or bartender is the one that has to stop what he's doing to take care of it. That means that they're taking away time from their real customers and their real tips. In some places they might even miss a customer that goes to the next guy because they're putting together your order.

Those are actually the two factors I use to determine whether or not to tip for takeout. Was it a bartender who had to deal with it (down here it usually is), and was it a complicated thing to take care of. The nice lady who bagged up my lunch today took the time to show me what and where everything was, and then ran back to get horseradish in case the cook forgot to include some (he didn't). That and a nice demeanor is certainly worth a buck or two to me.

Fair points.  I've just never ordered takeout from a place that doesn't cater specifically to take-out.  A bar/restaurant is a different story.  And I have no problem in tipping for above ordinary service like you cite above... I just wouldn't do it just because.

Online El Barto

• Rascal Atheistic Pig
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Bad Craziness
« Reply #33 on: February 26, 2014, 05:17:06 PM »
I won't do it.  Tipping is bad for everyone.  It's an excuse for restaurant owners not to pay their servers and an excuse for normal people to be constantly guilty.
So are you one of those people that actually has the balls to go full on Mr. Pink at a restaurant? I've never actually met a person that'd do that.

Now, I agree with you completely. I'd much rather they just up the prices of their food enough to pay their waitstaff their own damn selves. The problem is that we've now passed the point where that's doable. Hell, I'd be fine if they just added a 15% line on the check and called it a day. Probably be better for everybody (except the cheap bastards).
E.F. Benson

Offline Tick

• It's time to make a change
  • DTF.org Member
  • Just another tricky day for you
« Reply #34 on: February 26, 2014, 05:20:16 PM »
My feeling is this...

If I am spending my time, money and gas to pick up an order, I do not tip. I see no reason to. I am doing them the favor of business in general.
So if this is a trend, I personally am not on board.

Now If I am getting served and get good service I always tip well. I went out Monday and my bill was 48 bucks. I gave the girl 60 bucks and called it a day. She gave good service, I gave what I feel is a solid tip.

To each his own. You want to tip when you pick up and order, be my guest. For me, nope.
Yup. Tick is dead on.  She's not your type.  Move on.   Tick is Obi Wan Kenobi