Poll

What did you think of Shadow Ninja's Top 50?

Awesome
4 (20%)
Just Okay
7 (35%)
Disappointing
1 (5%)
Horrible, a disgrace to the entire DTF community
1 (5%)
Who's Shadow Ninja?
7 (35%)
wat
0 (0%)

Total Members Voted: 20

Author Topic: Shadow Ninja's Super Incredibly Awesome Top 50 EXTRAVAGANZA!!!!1!!! v. #1  (Read 21250 times)

Offline ?

• Apparently the best username
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Less=Moore, Even Less=Wilson
I disagree with the placement of both songs, but I can forgive you because that gif is awesome :lol

Offline Shadow Ninja 2.0

• Heir Transparent
  • Transcribing Existence Rivets
Yeah, I didn't expect this to be a popular update. :lol

Offline 425

Great choices! I'd easily put both above Voices. TSCO I would have higher, but the two you've just listed are both seriously good songs, particularly TMOLS.
And if spirit's a sign,
Then it's only a matter of time

Offline Shadow Ninja 2.0

• Heir Transparent
That is an unexpected, but welcome, opinion.

Offline 425

Ministry is one of those songs where I guess I can see why people don't like it, but absolutely love it. I'm definitely one of the few members of the TMOLS fan club right along with you.

o/
And if spirit's a sign,

Offline Lucien

• James 5:1-5
I'm actually kind of in between. It feels like a song that will grow on me, that hasn't yet, kind of like Scarred.
"Kind of a stupid game, isn't it?" - Calvin

Offline Lolzeez

• DTF.org Member
I disagree with the placement of both songs, but I can forgive you because that gif is awesome :lol

Offline Viking of the Sagas

Umm... I have a feeling that next up will come more Scenes and Awake...

Offline hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
Both decent songs, but putting them above Voices is blasphemy.
Hef is right on all things. Except for when I disagree with him. In which case he's probably still right.

Offline Shadow Ninja 2.0

• Heir Transparent
Umm... I have a feeling that next up will come more Scenes and Awake...

Don't put too much stock in your instincts.

Offline wasteland

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Jay Beckenstein was in Spyro Gyra, right?
I hope there will come a day when I finally make peace with TMOLS :lol
:slayer: Somewhere, over the wasteland..... bootlegs fly :slayer:
MoraWintersoul is the BEST person.
- Marco

Offline Onno

• Well, it's just entertainment, folks!
TMOLS is super awesome, Wither is good but too high IMO.

Offline serrano

• DTF.org Alumni
 I would rank TMOLS even higher.

Offline Shadow Ninja 2.0

• Heir Transparent
25. Innocence Faded - Awake

Well, this is lovely little song. James' softer vocals sound great here, especially in context of the album, since he'd been using his harsher style up till now. Now, I admit, I have no idea what he's saying during the really high part, but he sounds good so it doesn't matter. Listening through this song again, I noticed Mike doing a lot of cool little fills and stuff in the background, and Moore is doing the same sort of thing, just staying in the back. Probably the best part about this song, though, is the chorus. Gets stuck in my head for quite a while afterwards.

24. Endless Sacrifice - Train Of Thought

This song is often unfairly (in my view) hated on. I love it, though. I love the way it goes from the soft opening, to the huge riff and chorus, one of my favorites from DT (yeah, I know I say that a lot. :P) "TRY TO STAY ALIVE-EEEE UNTIL I HEAR YOUR VOICE I'M GONNA LOSE MY MIND-EEEEE". I love the harmonics there. I think I heard someone describe it as "nu-metal bleeps" before. :lol Now, I've said before that I mostly don't worry much with lyrics, but on this song I really like them, and I think they add a lot to the song, at least for me. A lot of people have problems with the instrumental, but I really don't, as it's a slammin' :adrenalinemob: instrumental. :metal

Offline 425

I like Innocence and LOVE Endless Sacrifice. I also am a fan of the "nu-metal bleeps" and the instrumental section. Great choice!  :tup
And if spirit's a sign,

Offline Podaar

• DTF.org Alumni
I liked Endless Sacrifice a lot before seeing it played on Budokan but afterward...I love it! Whenever I hear it now I see JLB shaking his hand while emphasising, "End-less-sac-ri-fice!" Raaaaawk!
"Owners of dogs will have noticed that, if you provide them with food and water and shelter and affection, they will think you are God. Whereas owners of cats are compelled to realize that, if you provide them with food and water and affection, they draw the conclusion that they are God.” — Christopher Hitchens

Offline Tom Bombadil

• We Do Not Sow
Both great picks :tup

Offline GentlemanofDread

• The dreaded man
  • The One Who Help To Set The Sun
Bloody Yes Endless Sacrifice!  :metal

Not so keen on Innocence Faded, but I can see the merits of why people like it!
i don't even like dt but i had keyboard and an ipad so what the fuck
Jordan is actually DT's tax advisor. He just happens to do their taxes on stage, that's why he has that iPad there.

Offline Ruba

Innocence Faded. :heart :hefdaddy

Endless Sacrifice used to be one of my favourite DT songs. It's still good.

Offline Onno

• Well, it's just entertainment, folks!
Endless Sacrifice  :heart

Offline Shadow Ninja 2.0

• Heir Transparent
23. The Best Of Times - Black Clouds And Silver Linings

This is sure to generate some controversy. The opening is just perfect. Jordan playing piano with JP's acoustic guitar is just sublime. The guitar riff after that is definitely reminiscent of The Spirit Of Radio, except that this song is much, much better than The Spirit Of Radio. :P  Now, some people have problems with the lyrics. I don't. I think if you're expecting them to be beautiful poetry, you have the wrong idea. It's just Mike talking to his dad, which, to me at least, is very touching. I can't say I really relate to the lyrics (my dad's still alive), but I feel Mike did a good job saying how he felt.   Also, JP's outro guitar solo is transcendent, though it's not particularly flashy.

22. The Silent Man - Awake

To be honest, even after I started really liking Awake, I never thought much of this track. I don't mean I disliked it, I simply didn't think of it at all. I was aware of it's existence, but I couldn't really recall anything from it, nor did I care to. Then, sometime fairly recently, I was listening through Awake and I realized how gorgeous this song is. It's not often you hear a DT song played entirely on an acoustic guitar. The melodies are really lovely, and JP's :neverusethis: backing vocals are really good. I think a lot of people may be like I was for a while, not really paying much attention to this one. If that's you, go ahead and try it again. You may find something new this time. :)

Offline 425

I feel the same way about TSM as you did before your transformation. It's one of the few DT songs that's really just kind of there for me. I do like James on it and John's little acoustic guitar solo.

The Best of Times is my least favorite on Black Clouds, but I don't not like it, it just doesn't really reach any incredible heights for me.
And if spirit's a sign,

Offline Scorpion

• Unreal Heir
  • DTF.org Member
  • Ragnarök around the Clöck!
The guitar solo is the only part of The Best of Times that I really like. The rest is not bad, but I never really want to listen to it either.

The Silent Man is great.
scorpion is my favorite deathcore lobster
Hey, the length is fine :azn: Thanks!

Offline Evermind

• DTF.org Alumni
I love the intro and outro of TBoT, but other parts are killing the song for me. If I listen to BC&SL, I always end up skipping the song as electric guitar comes in.

TSM is a fine pick.
This first band is Soen very cool swingy jazz fusion kinda stuff.

Offline Shadow Ninja 2.0

• Heir Transparent
21. Disappear - Six Degrees Of Inner Turbulence

So, I believe I've already mentioned how I came to appreciate The Great Debate. It's pretty much the same with Disappear. Actually, I think it may have been the same day. The first few times I heard it, I didn't really care for the weird vocal effects coupled with Rudess's odd-sounding synth. The more I listened to it, though, the more I liked it. I really love the way James' vocals echo at the beginning.  This song is also hard to listen to  without feeling sad. In fact, this may be DT's saddest song.  :sad:  ….. moving on. :'(

20. Home - Scenes From A Memory

This is another track I hand't really expected to place very high on this list. Then I listened to it. :lol  This is one of DT's most-like tracks, and for good reason. It pretty much has everything, from odd eastern-sounding synths, great vocals, fantastic drumming, and above everything else, WOMP WOMP. Simply one of the best riffs DT have ever done. The only thing that's not good about this one is the sex scene in the background. I mean, who's idea was that? It's just annoying. But, anyway, this is a fantastic song, thus why I placed it so highly. :P

Offline ?

• Apparently the best username
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Less=Moore, Even Less=Wilson
21. Disappear - Six Degrees Of Inner Turbulence

In fact, this may be DT's saddest song.  :sad:
Space-Dye Vest says hello ;)

Offline Shadow Ninja 2.0

• Heir Transparent
Nah. I love Space-Dye Vest, but DT have sadder songs.

Offline 425

Two songs that are unquestionably good but that I would definitely not put this high.
And if spirit's a sign,

Offline Nearmyth

IMO Space Dye Vest isn't that sad, when you think about the somewhat ridiculous subject matter.

Now Disappear... What a song. That one didnt get anywhere with me for a long time, until my fourth or fifth full listen of it. It's great, good pick!
"Now I'm not one to soon forget
And I bet I never will...

WAAHH WAAHH DIGA DIGA WAAHH WAAHH"

Offline Scorpion

• Unreal Heir
  • DTF.org Member
  • Ragnarök around the Clöck!
Disappear is too low.
scorpion is my favorite deathcore lobster
Hey, the length is fine :azn: Thanks!

Offline Bolsters

• Lost Boy
  • DTF.org Member
  • What a hell of a day to embrace disorder

Offline Ruba

IMO Space Dye Vest isn't that sad, when you think about the somewhat ridiculous subject matter.

It's not ridiculous at all. I can relate well to it.

Two fantastic songs. :tup

Offline Shadow Ninja 2.0

• Heir Transparent
19. Panic Attack - Octavarium

Where to start with this one? The start, perhaps. It opens with a blazing bass line from Mr. Myung, leading into a huge guitar riff. The best thing about this song is it's energy, it's pretty much fast-paced all the way through. I like the way Jordan uses his synths to emphasize the main riff. Mike's got some really cool drums rhythms as well, which I hadn't really noticed until I listened to it again to write this.

That's really all i've got for this one. :metal

18. A Nightmare To Remember - Black Clouds And Silver Linings

Yeah. This is number eighteen.

This is the first song off BC&SL that I heard, and at the time I was only familiar with a few songs from Images And Words. The first time I heard this one, it was way too heavy for my tastes. (which is kind of funny to think about now). Anyway, I did really like the "Beautiful Agony" section, so I guess that's why I kept listening to it. And it's a good thing I did, because this is a monster of a song. Jordan's opening piano is really great, and the following riff is crushing. James sounds really great here, I think he does the "metal" voice a lot better on BC&SL than he did on Train Of Thought (which I feel is a bit weak vocally, at times).

Some people don't like the solos. Eh, I can see where they're coming from, I suppose, but I love 'em. Some of JP and JR's best, in my opinion. I also like Mike's vocals, though it does seem odd to be singing "everyone survived" in his tough guy voice. But, oh well. Doesn't really take away from the song, in my opinion. So, there you are. I await the rage. :P

Offline GentlemanofDread

• The dreaded man
  • The One Who Help To Set The Sun
Woah woah woah woah woah slow down a minute.

People don't like the ANTR solos? Huh. (Good picks for 19/18, maybe panic attack should be a bit higher? I unno.)
i don't even like dt but i had keyboard and an ipad so what the fuck
Jordan is actually DT's tax advisor. He just happens to do their taxes on stage, that's why he has that iPad there.

Offline Evermind

• DTF.org Alumni
I quite like ANTR. There are sections I thoroughly enjoy, there are sections I want to headbang to and there is that section I laugh everytime I hear it. Wouldn't place it in top 20, but it would surely make my top 50.
This first band is Soen very cool swingy jazz fusion kinda stuff.