Author Topic: My thoughts on 'Dream Theater' (***SPOILERS***)  (Read 153595 times)

Offline Meatrose

• Built for heavy lifting
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Let me show you my new means of transportation...
Re: My thoughts on 'Dream Theater' (***SPOILERS***)
« Reply #420 on: August 20, 2013, 12:03:16 PM »
Haha, sorry.

I haven't eaten anything all day so I really need to go eat something before I start sorting through my memories. What I can tell you Swedish fans though is this: there will be a concert in Stockholm!  :metal

Online goo-goo

« Reply #421 on: August 20, 2013, 12:04:12 PM »

so how was it? details details details!!!

Offline JDW89

« Reply #422 on: August 20, 2013, 12:08:32 PM »
Anxious to hear how it sounded.

Offline eviljust

• I'm just a Dreamer...
  • HIC MANEMIBUS OPTIME
« Reply #423 on: August 20, 2013, 12:13:02 PM »
Envy :(
This story ends where it began.

me on lastfm

Offline kirksnosehair

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Bryce & Kylie's Grandpa
« Reply #424 on: August 20, 2013, 12:18:08 PM »
Some of the questions in this thread  ::)

So, anyway, here's my question:  What does the music smell like on this album?

:corn

Offline Zydar

• Creep With Tonality
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #425 on: August 20, 2013, 12:21:31 PM »
Haha, sorry.

I haven't eaten anything all day so I really need to go eat something before I start sorting through my memories. What I can tell you Swedish fans though is this: there will be a concert in Stockholm!  :metal

YAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAY!
Zydar is my new hero.  I just laughed so hard I nearly shat.

Offline aprilethereal

« Reply #426 on: August 20, 2013, 12:48:43 PM »
Come on, man! Tell us!

Offline Marion Crane

• Smile, you're on MurderTV.
« Reply #427 on: August 20, 2013, 01:22:50 PM »
SLOWEST
EATER
EVER

Offline Zydar

• Creep With Tonality
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #428 on: August 20, 2013, 01:23:48 PM »
SO ENERGY
SO HUNGRY
Zydar is my new hero.  I just laughed so hard I nearly shat.

Offline lyfeternl

« Reply #429 on: August 20, 2013, 01:30:05 PM »
HARDER
BETTER
FASTER
STRONGER

Aka, JP
"...the last is just a flurry of notes...so just do it and hope you don't suck..." - JP

Offline cyberdrummer

• Setlist Guru and DT.net Veteran
« Reply #430 on: August 20, 2013, 01:30:42 PM »
He'll have forgotten everything by the time he comes to type it out! :lol

Offline Marion Crane

• Smile, you're on MurderTV.
« Reply #431 on: August 20, 2013, 01:31:34 PM »
*insert obligatory Lost, Not Forgotten joke*

Offline TheGreatPretender

• The Second Dancing Turtle
  • You are reading these words.
« Reply #432 on: August 20, 2013, 01:32:10 PM »
"How's that for a slice of fried gold?"

Offline wasteland

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Jay Beckenstein was in Spyro Gyra, right?
« Reply #433 on: August 20, 2013, 01:32:38 PM »
He'll have forgotten everything by the time he comes to type it out! :lol

Damn, I hope didn't wash his sore throat with wine!  :biggrin:
:slayer: Somewhere, over the wasteland..... bootlegs fly :slayer:
MoraWintersoul is the BEST person.
- Marco

Offline illusionist

« Reply #434 on: August 20, 2013, 01:33:34 PM »
Meatroseeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee,we're waitiiiiiiiiing......
Don't want to sound impatient,but ...i am.
And also,it wasn't smart enough of you to reveal the listening party you were going to attend.Now you'll have to answer ALL the questions made to cyberdrummer about the new album.Courage my friend,, ;)

Offline ResultsMayVary

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Go Buckeyes!
« Reply #435 on: August 20, 2013, 01:40:27 PM »
WE DEMAND YOUR OPINION
Where would YOU be without prog?!
I'd be standing somewhere with dignity, respect, and bitches.
When Mike and Mob Unite, featuring the hit A Lawsuit in Lies

Offline SomeoneLikeHim

• The flame is gone
  • The fire remains
« Reply #436 on: August 20, 2013, 02:19:03 PM »
Haha, sorry.

:omg: :omg: :omg:

:metal :metal :metal :metal
"We can walk our road together, if our goals are all the same
We can run alone and free, if we pursue a different aim"

Offline cyberdrummer

• Setlist Guru and DT.net Veteran
« Reply #437 on: August 20, 2013, 02:29:25 PM »
Can this stop before it becomes a 2+ page long thing?  :mehlin

Can we keep this on topic please.

Offline Meatrose

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #438 on: August 20, 2013, 04:10:46 PM »
Edit: I'm copying cyberdrummer's disclaimer and pasting it here cause I'll probably need it.

Disclaimer: I might be remembering the album all wrong, so don't rip me apart when you all hear it! These are just my memories and opinions.

Okay, here we go.

I'm going to assume that we are allowed to talk about our impressions since no one there asked us to keep it to ourselves. Not that I expect that anyone who attended will be able to share a lot of detailed information about the songs anyway, only bits and pieces. It would be easier to take mental notes if you were allowed to stream it once sitting at home, using your own stereo or headphones. Now you're basically bombarded with new sounds and impressions while sitting in a room where everyone is pretty much geeking out simultaneously.  ;)

Anyways, John and James came in and talked to us. They told us they've been in Europe for the past 10 days or so, promoting the album (additional interviews should start surfacing soon I guess). They've hosted listening parties in London, Paris (IIRC) and now Stockholm. After a while they started taking questions from us. I didn't get to ask any of the two questions I was going to ask but the most important one was asked by someone else anyhow; "what happened to the Swedish gig that was first announced and then almost instantly removed". They both assured us that they are definitely coming to Stockholm. The rest of the questions were about stuff that we all already know here. You know, stuff like "why did you go for a self-titled album", "is it hard to stay motivated and creative after this many years of writing-recording-touring" and of course the obligatory question about John's chocolate cake. I didn't get to ask John if he had eaten any kiwis today.  :'(

After that we went upstairs where we had our photos taken with the guys and we were allowed to bring one item to get signed. I asked John if Eren and the string section would be Along For The Ride, so to speak. He thought it was a cool idea and that it would be nice to do that for some special event or something. In other words, it seems they won't be traveling with the band, touring the world (which is honestly quite understandable given how long they'd be on the road). We finished with a group shot of everyone together and before we headed back inside they gave us our "I heard it first" laminates. (see my post close to the bottom of page 12 in this thread)

When we were all back in the room where the actual listening was going to take place John and James addressed us one last time, saying that they had to get going and that they hoped that we were going to enjoy the album. John told us that the room we were in was not exactly blessed with the most divine 5.1 sound in the world and that we should keep that in mind while listening. Yes, we got to listen to the 5.1 mix which was quite interesting.

Well then, enough with the fairy tails. Let's talk about the actual music. I'm afraid I won't be able to go into much detail. It was a lot to take in and I really should have memorized the track order before going there. Now it often took me several minutes before I figured out which song I was even listening to which made it even harder to properly "file" all the impressions in my head.

Okay, keep in mind that this text is probably not going to be very accurate at all. I usually need to listen to a new album several times before I can even start forming an opinion. So, remember to take this with a large grain of salt and don't read too much into this as I'm sure it's not very accurate at all.

NEEDLESS TO SAY; IN CASE YOU DON'T WANT TO READ ANY SPOILERS - STOP READING!

1. False Awakening Suite

This didn't really feel like a "song" to me, more like a really cool, cinematic intro featuring elements of progressive metal (which quite frankly was pretty much what I was expecting). I don't think that I'll be listening to this much as a stand-alone song but it's certainly going to be a cool opener live. There is no seamless transition into The Enemy Inside, the sound actually fades out before it starts but that doesn't mean it'll be that way live. noxon already stated this but the new material we got to see in the fourth "In the studio" clip is literally the first thing you hear on the album.

2. The Enemy Inside

Don't really need to say anything about this one, right? The only thing I will say is that it seems as if James' vocals are louder in the 5.1 mix. I immediately noticed a difference when we got to the first verse. Sure, it could be that the far from optimal 5.1 system we were listening to was unbalanced but the difference was definitely noticeable.

3. The Looking Glass

This was like taking a trip down memory lane. It definitely makes you think of their earlier material and I think that a lot of people will enjoy this song.

4. Enigma Machine

A cool and rather heavy instrumental. Mike does some pretty awesome things in this song, which by the way goes for all of the guys (except for poor James of course  :lol). There was one thing that Mike did that made both me and the guy sitting next to me laugh out loud at the same time.

5. The Bigger Picture

James said that this is probably one of his favorite songs on the album and I can understand why. This song has a lot going on melodically and after this first listen I'm expecting it to be one of the fan favorites. There, I said it. I think that there was something about it that occasionally made me think of Voices. I can't really put my finger on what it was though. It could have been the song structure.

6. Behind The Veil

This starts out slow and dramatic but as it turns out it's not your usual ballad after all (none of the songs on the album are). James delivers yet another solid performance and both Rudess and Myung brought their A-games. I'm not sure what I would compare this song to though. One of the songs here (somewhere in the middle of the album) featured a keyboard sound that made me think of one of Jordan's solos in Blind Faith. It could have been this song but to be honest I don't remember. Sorry. :/

7. Surrender To Reason

Another promising song that I think that a lot of people will come to like. Right around here it was getting harder and harder to keep the songs and all the impressions they kept bombarding me with separated in my head. I can't really remember a lot of things that stood out in particular but I think that a lot of the song's atmosphere comes from Rudess' playing (and Petrucci using his acoustic guitar to stuff chocolate cake in our ears).

8. Along For The Ride

Another cool song. When I first read the title I thought it would be pretty funny if this was somehow related to The Count Of Tuscany. It's not, but the funny thing is that before the instruments came in there was this sound that made me think of TCOT's fading outro sound. Anyhow, the way I remember this song it's kind of alternating between pretty straightforward, melodic verses and sections with cool riffs. Jordan brings out the sound from his solo in Beneath The Surface. A lot is spinning around in my head right now and I don't know if there really is a difference or if the non-optimal sound system in the listening room was playing tricks on me but when I heard it I thought that "this is the Beneath The Surface sound mixed with some pan flute sound". I can't wait to hear it again so I can compare it to BTS and see if I'm actually right about that. I'm probably not though.  :lol

9. Illumination Theory

The epic. There are a lot of cool riffs going on and I if I recall correctly parts of the second movement made me think of Bridges In The Sky. The majority of this song is actually instrumental and there's a break in the middle of the song, sort of like the one in The Count of Tuscany but less melodic (the way I remember it it's more or less only warping, morphing sounds with no real tone and I seem to also remember... wind chimes). After a little while the string section starts playing though and the arrangement is quite beautiful. I'm almost sure that I heard something that resembled Jordan's solo sound from Blind Faith in this song but I could of course be dead wrong about that. The final part of the song (after the break) is quite epic indeed but I won't spoil it by talking too much about it, especially not since this wall of text will probably turn out to be pretty inaccurate. You can't say that I didn't warn you about that though.  :angel:

I'm not going to talk about what I think of the album at the moment. What I can say though is that this album doesn't really sound like any of the other albums. It is different, but it's still "Dream Theater". If I had to try to describe my first impressions of the album by referring to other DT albums I would have to say that the songwriting on DT12 makes me think of some kind of cross-breed between Images And Words and Awake with a "modern DT twist"... or something like that.

This is definitely not a review of the album or anything even remotely similar to that. I'll probably listen to the album 10 to 20 times before I even start thinking of evaluating the content (or ranking it). I just wanted to share as much as possible since I know that a lot of you are thirsting for information just as much as I am (was?).
« Last Edit: August 20, 2013, 04:25:25 PM by Meatrose »

Offline wasteland

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Jay Beckenstein was in Spyro Gyra, right?
« Reply #439 on: August 20, 2013, 04:17:31 PM »
Thank you so much for that, mate! That was really lovely. :)

Now fly, you fool! Questions are coming.  :laugh:
:slayer: Somewhere, over the wasteland..... bootlegs fly :slayer:
MoraWintersoul is the BEST person.
- Marco

Offline Jaffa

• Just Jaffa
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #440 on: August 20, 2013, 04:19:08 PM »
9. Illumination Theory

I seem to also remember... wind chimes

I must hear this. 
Sincerely,
Jaffa

Offline Nearmyth

« Reply #441 on: August 20, 2013, 04:21:29 PM »
 :eek

Thank you for the post!
"Now I'm not one to soon forget
And I bet I never will...

WAAHH WAAHH DIGA DIGA WAAHH WAAHH"

Offline Estiui

« Reply #442 on: August 20, 2013, 04:25:39 PM »
Great post!

I don't know if I'm looking too much forward into the new CD, but that mixture of I&W, Awake and modern DT can become an amazing music disc.

Online goo-goo

« Reply #443 on: August 20, 2013, 04:42:29 PM »
Thanks for the insight!

This got me excited:
What I can say though is that this album doesn't really sound like any of the other albums. It is different, but it's still "Dream Theater"

You, cyber, and noxon (sp?) have said similar statements. So this pumps me up!

Offline RMGadelha

• Language nerd
  • Блин...
« Reply #444 on: August 20, 2013, 04:55:46 PM »
Well, 3 different sources saying the same thing. I can say I'm past the point of excitement and I'm now officially dying to hear the album.

Offline Kotowboy

• Yes THAT Kotowboy.
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #445 on: August 20, 2013, 04:58:54 PM »
Did anyone who has heard the album smile whilst listening to it / get shivers / goosebumps / do a bit of a head bob in certain sections?

To me - an album fails if it doesn't make you react in any way.

Nothing worse than a new album that leaves you cold. Just that feeling of :  :| why aren't I enjoying this ?

Offline RMGadelha

• Language nerd
  • Блин...
« Reply #446 on: August 20, 2013, 05:03:48 PM »
Nothing worse than a new album that leaves you cold. Just that feeling of :  :| why aren't I enjoying this ?

Dude, I really hate when that happens to me, specially with albums that I'm anticipating which usually leads me to re-listen to it several times.

Offline Kotowboy

• Yes THAT Kotowboy.
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #447 on: August 20, 2013, 05:13:23 PM »
If every song on Dream Theater makes me react like I did with The Enemy Inside then it will be a killer album.

This was me listening to The Enemy Inside the first Time :
Holy Shit ! Holy Shit ! Holy Shit ! Holy Shit ! Holy Shit ! Holy Shit ! Holy Shit !

Offline Tomislav95

« Reply #448 on: August 20, 2013, 05:20:30 PM »
How would you rank Dream Theater among their other albums?

:neverusethis:

Just kidding, thank you for posting :tup. Can't wait to hear new album.
...the years just pass like trains
I wave but they don't slow down...

Offline Tis BOOLsheet

• Banned
« Reply #449 on: August 20, 2013, 05:21:03 PM »
So you have no comment with regard to whether or not you actually enjoyed any of the songs or the album in general?

Offline Kotowboy

• Yes THAT Kotowboy.
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #450 on: August 20, 2013, 05:21:33 PM »
Guys !!

I PREDICT  that " Dream Theater " will go down in history as their 12th album... :neverusethis:

Offline Meatrose

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #451 on: August 20, 2013, 05:24:56 PM »
Thanks guys. Just remember to take it with a grain of salt.

Thank you so much for that, mate! That was really lovely. :)

Now fly, you fool! Questions are coming.  :laugh:

Haha, my pleasure mate. I don't know how well I would be able to answer questions at this point but hey, perhaps they would end up jolting my memory.  ;)

Did anyone who has heard the album smile whilst listening to it / get shivers / goosebumps / do a bit of a head bob in certain sections?

To me - an album fails if it doesn't make you react in any way.

Did I smile? Yes, I even laughed at one point (and I mean that in a good way).

Shivers or goosebumps? No, but to be fair... I think that there's only one Dream Theater song that has given me shivers/goosebumps the first time I listened to it. I usually need multiple listens before I start getting goosebumps (if ever).

Head bobbing in certain sections? Definitely.

Offline Kotowboy

• Yes THAT Kotowboy.
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #452 on: August 20, 2013, 05:30:47 PM »
I love when a song makes me bob my head form side to side with my eyes shut because i'm so into it.

Offline Voices

• Like a scream but sort of silent.
« Reply #453 on: August 20, 2013, 05:54:14 PM »
Well, I'm really hyped up.

You made some comparisons with songs I really enjoy, that makes me way more anxious to hear it myself!

But I wanna know...how about JM in this new record? What can you tell about his contribution and performance?

Offline JDW89

« Reply #454 on: August 20, 2013, 06:02:52 PM »
Great post!

I don't know if I'm looking too much forward into the new CD, but that mixture of I&W, Awake and modern DT can become an amazing music disc.
Amen.