Author Topic: Space-Dye Vest's one and only live performance  (Read 7020 times)

Offline rumborak

• DT.net Veteran
Re: Space-Dye Vest's one and only live performance
« Reply #35 on: September 09, 2013, 09:10:37 AM »
Actually, the comparison to Moonlight Sonata is a pretty damn good one.
"I liked when Myung looked like a women's figure skating champion."

Offline wasteland

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Jay Beckenstein was in Spyro Gyra, right?
« Reply #36 on: September 09, 2013, 10:38:20 AM »
I feel like Jordan's addons just Jordanified the piece and did not add or emphasize the original feel and mood of the song. I think that is what people are complain about.  I've heard Jordan climb scales too many times and it's a bit stale to me now. I don't know why he cant just dumb his playing down a bit and add tasteful accents that make you go "huh, that was really thoughtful and really adds to the piece.".

I don't want to sound blunt or uncourteous, believe me, I really don't. But Jordan Rudess is not a music student who is supposed to listen to his teachers in order to learn his craft. He is an adult musician and should not change to fit anybody's aims. And when interpreting a piece of music he should not be doing so according to anybody's canon of taste other than his own.

He's not asking people to like it or claiming it's the best rendition of the song that has ever been done because clearly both of those scenarios can't belong to reality. But please, don't ask him to sound like someone else, to play like someone else. Just like nobody ever asked Kevin to tech-up his playing to add complex solos and many-voices orchestral textures on a regular basis.

Again, I'm really sorry for being somewhat on the aggressive side, but I really don't like when people, instead of saying "I don't like THIS because he did THAT", which is perfectly alright to say, go with "He should sound/do/act like THAT/HIM/HER". I fucking dislike Steven Seagal, for instance, but I never asked him to act like Jack Nicholson, I just say I dislike his acting and as a consequence tend to avoid his movies. I'm probably going onto this semi-rant because I was recently given a near-lethal dose of this behaviour from acquaintances of mine. I've always been rather touchy about this, but now it's a bit of an uncovered nerve.
:slayer: Somewhere, over the wasteland..... bootlegs fly :slayer:
MoraWintersoul is the BEST person.
- Marco

Offline Cool Chris

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #37 on: September 09, 2013, 12:14:57 PM »
I see this as more of an interpretation of a DT song by a couple of band members during a special performance. As such it doesn't bother me. If it were played this way during a full DT show and billed as such, I would feel differently.
"Nostalgia is just the ability to forget the things that sucked" - Nelson DeMille, 'Up Country'

Offline theseoafs

• When the lights go down in the city, and the sun shines on the bayyyyy
  • Hello! My name is Elder Price
« Reply #38 on: September 09, 2013, 12:31:44 PM »
No idea what you guys are talking about.  Jordan's embellishments were perfectly appropriate and the song was still plenty dark and moody.  If he had played the song note-for-note like the original, it would have been tremendously boring, since this performance is missing 3 other instruments (and a bunch of samples).  This is an interpretation of SDV, not a verbatim live recitation.

Offline Grizz

« Reply #39 on: September 09, 2013, 01:09:31 PM »
Ah, but there needs to be balance. The mood during the transition from the first half to the second was gone, and almost highlights the differences between Jordan and Kevin.
"I raised the baby, I changed the baby's diapers.  Whenever the baby had projectile diarrhea, I was there in the line of fire.  I even got a little in my mouth!  I sacrificed so much for my baby.  Now my baby hates me and thinks Mike Mangini is its real father!"

Offline MoraWintersoul

• Gloom Cookie
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • welcome to the wasteland
« Reply #40 on: September 09, 2013, 01:57:05 PM »
highlights the differences between Jordan and Kevin.
Well, that's what it should do. When I'm hearing a version of SDV played by Jordan (especially stripped of samples and other instruments), I'm really not expecting to hear Kevin Moore's Space-Dye Vest. Even though I think what Kevin did to that specific song is better than anything Jordan could do to it, both due to my personal preferences and the nature of the song, it doesn't automatically mean Jordan playing it is bad, for me. No song should be "sacred" and exempt from further development, even by someone who didn't write it or originally perform it. Every note of it is loaded with meaning for me, and you could say it is very close to sacred, but in the end of the day, it's just a song, and if I heard this version on a concert I'm attending, I'd like it. It's lovely and I love the fact Jordan is not trying to channel Kevin, I don't want him neutering his style because there are people who would cry blasphemy.

Heaven forbid if the backlash they received on this version discouraged DT from doing it as a full band on future tours. I'd like to see what they could do with it.

Don't try to BS her about Kevin Moore facts, she will obscure quote you in the face.

type : mora : and delete the spaces for a surprise

Offline ?

• Apparently the best username
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Less=Moore, Even Less=Wilson
« Reply #41 on: September 09, 2013, 01:58:49 PM »
:iagree:

Offline Whatsername

• Love is the Dance of Eternity
« Reply #42 on: September 09, 2013, 03:24:30 PM »
highlights the differences between Jordan and Kevin.
Well, that's what it should do. When I'm hearing a version of SDV played by Jordan (especially stripped of samples and other instruments), I'm really not expecting to hear Kevin Moore's Space-Dye Vest. Even though I think what Kevin did to that specific song is better than anything Jordan could do to it, both due to my personal preferences and the nature of the song, it doesn't automatically mean Jordan playing it is bad, for me. No song should be "sacred" and exempt from further development, even by someone who didn't write it or originally perform it. Every note of it is loaded with meaning for me, and you could say it is very close to sacred, but in the end of the day, it's just a song, and if I heard this version on a concert I'm attending, I'd like it. It's lovely and I love the fact Jordan is not trying to channel Kevin, I don't want him neutering his style because there are people who would cry blasphemy.

Heaven forbid if the backlash they received on this version discouraged DT from doing it as a full band on future tours. I'd like to see what they could do with it.

This. I would love to see what the band could do with SDV. Also I would love to just see SDV period. :heart
We move in circles. Balanced all the while on a gleaming razor's edge.
A perfect sphere colliding with our fate. This story ends where it began.

Offline Shadow Ninja 2.0

• Heir Transparent
  • Transcribing Existence Rivets
« Reply #43 on: September 09, 2013, 04:01:59 PM »
I see this as more of an interpretation of a DT song by a couple of band members during a special performance. As such it doesn't bother me. If it were played this way during a full DT show and billed as such, I would feel differently.

It would hardly be the first time DT played a song slightly differently from the studio version.

Offline Cool Chris

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #44 on: September 09, 2013, 04:30:57 PM »

It would hardly be the first time DT played a song slightly differently from the studio version.

Indeed. That is why I said I would feel differently. I can't say I would be criticial without hearing the product. Should have said I might feel differently.
"Nostalgia is just the ability to forget the things that sucked" - Nelson DeMille, 'Up Country'

Online orcus116

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #45 on: September 09, 2013, 04:51:00 PM »
Sorry, but Jordan butchered the tune. If I were a music teacher judging his performance, my comment would be "student did not understand the song.",

This plus LaBrie sits there and sings the song like he's completely uninterested.

Offline Mebert78

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #46 on: September 09, 2013, 06:15:30 PM »
I was fortunate enough to attend this performance.  I thought they did an okay job.  My favorite part was JLB's beautiful word about Kevin Moore right before the song.  Classy all the way.
An unofficial online community for fans of keyboardist Kevin Moore (ex-Dream Theater, Chroma Key, OSI):

Offline Ravenfoul

« Reply #47 on: September 09, 2013, 06:54:47 PM »
Sorry, but Jordan butchered the tune. If I were a music teacher judging his performance, my comment would be "student did not understand the song.",

This plus LaBrie sits there and sings the song like he's completely uninterested.
I thought that was kind of the whole point of the song - lots of apathy behind it?

Offline JiM-Xtreme

« Reply #48 on: September 09, 2013, 07:27:34 PM »
It was great to see a live performance of this song at last and there's a nice bit of insight from LaBrie at the beginning of the video. Unfortunately they played it a little too fast for my tastes, which I'm sorry to say kind of killed the mood for me.

Offline adastra

« Reply #49 on: September 10, 2013, 11:14:56 PM »
Maybe it is my lack of understanding english, but I really don't understand what the first parts of the lyrics mean  ;D

Falling through pages of martens on angels
Feeling my heart pull west
I saw the future dressed as a stranger
Love in a space-dye vest

Love is an act of blood and I'm bleeding
A pool in the shape of a heart
Beauty projection in the reflection
Always the worst way to start
Stay by my side / as I fade / so you can point to the end of my struggle /and the twilight of eternal days / at the low, dark edge of life.

Offline ?

• Apparently the best username
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Less=Moore, Even Less=Wilson
« Reply #50 on: September 10, 2013, 11:24:44 PM »
It's easier to "get" it if you know the meaning of the song: https://faq.dtnorway.com/question?questionid=89
Quote from: Kevin Moore
I was looking through a clothing catalog and saw a picture of a girl modeling this piece of clothing called a space-dye vest. And, so, I fell in love with her [laughs] for some strange reason & so the minute I did that, the minute I was just like obsessed with this person, I was like, 'why am I doing that?' and I noticed that I was doing it a lot lately. And I think the prime reason that I was doing that, and this is what I figured out at the time, was that I had just come out of a relationship where I'd gotten dumped, basically, and so I think the situation was that I wasn't finished giving all that I was ready to give, so I was just, like, throwing it around, you know, just aiming it in different directions. It was a total case of projection. And this song is just trying to sort it out and just kind of admitting that I'm just kind of lost. So it's kind of a dark song. It was very cathartic though.