Poll

Which Dream Theater Album Has The Best Vocals (excluding I&W and Awake)

When Dream And Day Unite
Falling Into Infinity
Scenes From A Memory
Six Degrees Of Inner Turbulence
Train Of Thought
Octavarium
Systematic Chaos
Black Clouds And Silver Linings
A Dramatic Turn Of Events
Other (please explain)

Author Topic: Which Dream Theater Album Has The Best Vocals (excluding I&W and Awake)  (Read 3566 times)

Offline Shadow Ninja 2.0

• Heir Transparent
  • Transcribing Existence Rivets
So, as everyone has probably noticed, the other poll is leaning very strongly towards Images And Words and Awake. I think this poll may be somewhat more telling, as we eliminate the clear favorites.

Have at it!

Offline Tomislav95

SFAM. I like James' performance on every song, especially on Strange Deja Vu (probably his best post Awake performance) and Finally Free.
...the years just pass like trains
I wave but they don't slow down...

Offline 425

Just as in the other one, Octavarium for the superior range of emotions that James displays throughout that album. Any album where the same guy sings Panic Attack and The Answer Lies Within is fantastic in that regard. James is just all-around stellar on the album, with only Never Enough not really having great vocals and that's just because of the effects and not very good melodies to work with.

The title track alone takes James through a variety of styles, starting with his slow, soft singing in Someone Like Him and progressing to the harsher style in Intervals and then back to a clean (but more operatic this time) style in Razor's Edge.
And if spirit's a sign,
Then it's only a matter of time

Offline Tom Bombadil

• We Do Not Sow
Ah this one is far more challenging, but I went with SDOIT. I think James' perfermances on misunderstood and disappear are his best since awake. ADTOE was pretty close though, I really liked his sound on that album

Offline Tomislav95

Just as in the other one, Octavarium for the superior range of emotions that James displays throughout that album. Any album where the same guy sings Panic Attack and The Answer Lies Within is fantastic in that regard. James is just all-around stellar on the album, with only Never Enough not really having great vocals and that's just because of the effects and not very good melodies to work with.

The title track alone takes James through a variety of styles, starting with his slow, soft singing in Someone Like Him and progressing to the harsher style in Intervals and then back to a clean (but more operatic this time) style in Razor's Edge.
I always thought his voice was somewhat limited on Octavarium. I love his singing but too much effects was added IMO.
...the years just pass like trains
I wave but they don't slow down...

Offline ?

• Apparently the best username
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Less=Moore, Even Less=Wilson
Tough question... I'll decide later.

Offline YtseJamittaja

• Yub Nub
  • DTF.org Alumni
OCTAVARIUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMM

Best mellow vocals, best heavy vocals.
Do you even whahíbrido pickingant?

M Y  L A S T. F M  P R O F I L E

Offline Elite

• The 'other' Rich
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • also, a tin teardrop
I voted Systematic Chaos, but I don't really know why.
Hey dude slow the fuck down so we can finish together at the same time.  :biggrin:
Squ
scRa are the resultaten of sound nog bring propey

Offline Shadow Ninja 2.0

• Heir Transparent
Because Systematic Chaos is awesome, that's why.

Offline ?

• DTF.org Alumni
Voted for ADTOE; James sounds relaxed and he gets to show off all the different aspects of his voice.

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns

What? I think Never Enough is easily James' strongest vocal on the album.
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
Winger Theater Forums........or WTF.  ;D
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Offline Shadow Ninja 2.0

• Heir Transparent
Even over Octavarium? (the song)

Offline ?

• DTF.org Alumni
The verses in Never Enough are among my least favorite vocal moments in the DT catalogue...

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
I love 8V, and yes, James is great on it.
I find the chorus (especially) great on Never Enough. I love when James is going high.
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
Winger Theater Forums........or WTF.  ;D
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Offline 425

James does well on the chorus of Never Enough but I feel like the verses are so bogged down in distortion that I can't rank his performance on them anywhere near the greatness of the rest of the album. Other songs use effects, too, but not to the point where you can scarcely recognize James' voice like on the Never Enough verses.

Sidebar: I don't have anything against Never Enough as a song; I wouldn't want DT to make a whole album like it, but it's still a good song. The vocals (due to the rather unimaginative melodies and heavy distortion) just are unremarkable to me. That's all.
And if spirit's a sign,
Then it's only a matter of time

Offline Nekov

• DTF.org Alumni
SFAM. Labrie's delivery on every song is exactly what it needs to be
When Ginobili gets hot, I get hot in my pants. 

Offline senecadawg2

SFAM. Labrie's delivery on every song is exactly what it needs to be
Quote from: black_floyd
Oh seneca, how you've warmed my heart this evening.

Offline wolven74

• DTF.org Alumni
  • My body is not well
I voted for SFAM first, so the poll took that, now I can't change it. :lol

I'd say SFAM is my second favorite of all those listed in this poll. It's a good representation of JLBs voice. It is exactly what it needed to be, when it was called for...

...but I would say my final vote would go to 6DOIT because the range JLB has on that album is clearly much better than SFAM. He goes from songs like TTTSTA, to GNK... from brutal and harsh to tender and loving.

That's not to say that his voice doesn't do that on SFAM, but on 6DOIT it's so much more noticeable and clean.
Everything is immaterial. Do you know that reality is immaterial? This is not reality.
In what friggin' universe is a 68 minute long album "short"?

Offline Ruba

Six Degrees. It's been downhill ever since, but JLB is still good.

The last lyrics in The Great Debate are possibly my favourite JLB moment ever.

WE DEFY OUR OWN MORRRTALITY THESE DAYS  :metal :metal :metal!

Offline Jaffa

• Just Jaffa
  • DTF.org Alumni
I voted Systematic Chaos, but I don't really know why.

This exactly.

The more I think about it, the more I think I should have voted for SDOIT.  But I didn't. 
Sincerely,
Jaffa

Offline Shadow Ninja 2.0

• Heir Transparent
Not even one vote for WDADU....

Offline 54_diplomats

I voted SFAM but Octavarium and 6DOIT are close as well. Besides I&W + Awake, I think A Change of Seasons has the best vocals but it isn't an album so yeah...

Offline DarkLord_Lalinc

• pr0nman extraordinaire
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Hostages love me
OCTAVARIUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMM

Best mellow vocals, best heavy vocals.

SO HEAVY SOUND YAAHHHHHH

Seriously, JLB's studio records are incredible. The whole 8VM era was a high point in James' vocal career (tour and album).
Quote from: TioJorge
MAN FUCK YOU KUJA.
Quote from: hefdaddy42
The Darklord is amazing

Offline mallorier

• Blissciple
Well this was waaaaaay harder than the other poll, but in the end I gave my vote to SDOIT. SFAM could have gotten my vote (Finally Free is full of awesome James vocals...I've always had a particular soft spot for the "Feeling good this Friday afternoon" section, and of course "...someday soooooooooon"), and Octavarium definitely has some great moments as well, but Misunderstood, Disappear, and the title track (particularly About To Crash (Reprise) and Losing Time/Grand Finale) gave SDOIT the edge for me :tup

Offline serrano

• DTF.org Alumni
6DOIT close followed by SFAM

Offline Mister Gold

• The Makers of Our Own Destiny
  • Human
Definitely 6DoIT. :tup
Beyond the limits of the mortal frame
To the farthest boundary of eternity
Where I, the Cosmic Sea
Watch the little ego floating in me.

Offline wasteland

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Jay Beckenstein was in Spyro Gyra, right?
I'm in the slim minority that voted for FII. I really like his delivery in songs like Peruvian Skies, Anna Lee and the great Trial Of Tears. TAMP too!
:slayer: Somewhere, over the wasteland..... bootlegs fly :slayer:
MoraWintersoul is the BEST person.
- Marco

Offline SeRoX

• DTF.org Member
  • The VoiceMaster
SDOIT just because its vocal style somehow closes to both I&W and Awake. Close behind SFAM.
Quote from: Plasmastrike
SeRoX is right!
Quote from: Nihil-Morari
SeRoX is DTF's JLB!
As usual, SeRoX is correct.

Offline Destiny Of Chaos

• DTF.org Alumni
WDADU from a technical standpoint. Charlie could wail.

Offline theseoafs

• When the lights go down in the city, and the sun shines on the bayyyyy
  • Hello! My name is Elder Price
WDADU from a technical standpoint. Charlie could wail.

Really -- Charlie is more talented technically than James?

Offline Shadow Ninja 2.0

• Heir Transparent
Hmm, now TOT and BCSL are the only ones without a single vote.

Offline Unlegit

Six Degrees with Scenes at a close second.

Offline matte.braso

I'm not an expert but I think the most difficult piece sung by James after those in I&W and Awake is Losing Time....the vocal melody contains insane intervals from low to high notes, I think it's so stressful for the vocal chords (certainly mine when I've tried to sing it....transposed 2 tones downward ;D).
But In the name of God backup vocals are truly challenging as well.

Offline Voices

• Like a scream but sort of silent.
Systematic Chaos. He's powerful and agressive...I really like it.

Just let me share a vid I just watched...we're talking about James, so this is a GREAT performance of him singing Learning To Live in 2011.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=my6ydGWxFhI

Offline matte.braso

:omg: in this video James shows his improvements through the years...he's just stronger than ever...he's 50 years old but I'm sure he'll continue for some year keeping this level