Author Topic: Do you think the band is aware of the "bad planet cut" in their album cover?  (Read 24434 times)

Offline DarkLord_Lalinc

• pr0nman extraordinaire
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Hostages love me
This ain't meant to be a bashing thread or anything like that, but I think it's safe to ask now that all the cool kids in the forum are discussing the track list and album cover of the new album. The more I look at the cover, the more I can't help to cringe because as you all know, what was seen cannot be unseen. I mean, the new majesty symbol is very cool but the background looks so amateurish that it brings the whole thing down.

Take the ADTOE cover, for example. It wasn't their best received cover for many reasons already talked to death in this place, but at least the concept was clear and was executed without mistakes. Yeah, in an extremely lazy way that made Hugh Syme look very bad but hey, we all kind of learned to live with it. With this new album cover, there are very few redeeming qualities. I can't imagine the band being OK with such mistake (it can't be anything else, it looks like an image editing error), so I want to hear your opinions. Is Dream Theater OK with their good ole planet being cut in 200 degrees of the circle? Did Mike Portnoy hjack the designer's file and tried to destroy Dream Theater's new album? Is Charlie Dominici seeking revenge?

keep this srs pls
Quote from: TioJorge
MAN FUCK YOU KUJA.
Quote from: hefdaddy42
The Darklord is amazing

Offline atmyne

• Dog Face no space
I think they have seen it the way I did (and most people had) on first inspection, and didn't notice the cut. When I saw the cover for the first time I thought it was really classy and high quality. Then I came back to this forum to have that detail pointed out to me...
I still like it better than the adtoe cover though  :biggrin:

Offline ronnibran

Personally, I don't see an issue and don't assume it's a "mistake".  I think the cover is awesome and don't care if the planet cut isn't symmetrical. But that's just my opinion, I don't have a problem with others being bothered by it.

Offline DarkLord_Lalinc

• pr0nman extraordinaire
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Hostages love me
Personally, I don't see an issue and don't assume it's a "mistake".

I'm interested by this, why don't you think it's a mistake? What else could it possibly be?

Also, don't take me wrong. I take this one over ADTOE's cover any day, but it could have been miles better IMO.
MAN FUCK YOU KUJA.
The Darklord is amazing

Offline SystematicThought

• DTF.org Member
  • Carpe Diem-2020
I guess I'm more of in a fog as to what the issue is. Just tell me where to look and I'll find it and read more about the issue
God have mercy on a man
Who doubts what he's sure of.
-Bruce Springsteen

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
I don't really care, but I can see why peple would be a bit annoyed with it.  It's pretty sloppy.
Everyone else, except Wolfking is wrong.

Offline theseoafs

• When the lights go down in the city, and the sun shines on the bayyyyy
  • Hello! My name is Elder Price
I don't think the band noticed, and I'll tell you why:  I cannot for the life of me see where the planet is cut off in normal conditions.  Yeah, when you invert the colors, it's obvious, but the colors aren't inverted.  Even with my laptop on its brightest setting, I can't see the cut, and if I can't see the issue with a very bright backlight, then I doubt I'll see it when it's printed on an album cover.  So yeah, I think it's entirely possible the band is not aware of the "issue".

Offline Implode

• Lord of the Squids
  • DTF.org Alumni
From my end I'm amazed that it hasn't been caught already. I would think that graphic designers test what something will look like on different light levels and different displays. It's incredibly obvious to me on my computer screens as well as my iPhone screen. It's definitely a mistake, and I do hope that it's fixed before the artwork is printed.

Offline Marion Crane

• Smile, you're on MurderTV.
Can someone explain in detail what the issue is with the album cover? I don't see any problem with it

Offline Implode

• Lord of the Squids
  • DTF.org Alumni

You can see where the picture of the planet ends very easily. Also the planet part looks like it has been compressed to shit. jpg artifacts abound. You can even see white pixels around the dt logo. And same (but less so) goes for the whole picture. That I'm not worried about because I'm sure they didn't take care in resizing the picture for promotional purposes on facebook.

You know, that might be a good point. Maybe this is like a first draft that they wanted to post as soon as it was ready, and the full quality render is being touched up for the prints.

• DTF.org Member
  • Carpe Diem-2020
If someone hadn't told me, I guess I would never have really noticed. I'm sure it will look fine on the physical release.
God have mercy on a man
-Bruce Springsteen

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
It's pretty easy to see, and my eyesight is shit.
Everyone else, except Wolfking is wrong.

Offline Rattlehead

You know, that might be a good point. Maybe this is like a first draft that they wanted to post as soon as it was ready, and the full quality render is being touched up for the prints.

That makes sense... let's hope that's the case because it would be downright inexcusable for them to release the album like that  :lol

Offline Marion Crane

• Smile, you're on MurderTV.
If someone hadn't told me, I guess I would never have really noticed. I'm sure it will look fine on the physical release.

This....hadn't noticed until someone pointed out. Doesn't bother me in the slightest

Offline senecadawg2

Maybe it has something to do with the concept of 'Illumination Theory'. Or maybe it was just a mistake. Either way, I'm planning on never looking too closely at it, and therefore don't really care one way or the other.
Quote from: black_floyd
Oh seneca, how you've warmed my heart this evening.

Offline wolven74

• DTF.org Alumni
  • My body is not well

This....hadn't noticed until someone pointed out. Doesn't bother me in the slightest
+1  :tup
Everything is immaterial. Do you know that reality is immaterial? This is not reality.
In what friggin' universe is a 68 minute long album "short"?

Offline mrjazzguitar

• I play guitar.
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • rump horrot
still don't see anything wrong with it

Offline TheAtliator

• Sixdegrematichaos onachristmasmorning
On my macbook I can see it better when I tilt my screen down

Offline DarkLord_Lalinc

• pr0nman extraordinaire
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Hostages love me
still don't see anything wrong with it
This.
After playing with the color curves of the image, this was seen.

MAN FUCK YOU KUJA.
The Darklord is amazing

Offline theanalogkid7

• Just a guy
  • There are many knots I cannot untie.
Honestly, when we all sit down and think about, are we going to care about the album cover when it's all said and done?

Wait, this is DTF, of course we're going to care about the album cover.
We are here to make everything better. We are going to make airplanes out of beef. - Alex Lifeson

• DTF.org Member
  • Carpe Diem-2020
Now I can see it......

......And I can't unsee it
God have mercy on a man
-Bruce Springsteen

Offline FiberglassMoon

On both my monitor and my phone I saw it immediately.  Didn't have to look for it...it stuck out so much that my eye was just glued to it.  Honestly, if it isn't fixed by the time the album is released, I'll be pretty damn disappointed.  It is just so sloppy and amateurish and I can't see a band like DT letting it become a permanent part of their catalog.  If the cover wasn't so sloppy, I think it would be very elegant and atmospheric.

Offline Bolsters

• Lost Boy
  • DTF.org Member
  • What a hell of a day to embrace disorder
I think the lousy quality of this cover reflects poorly on the band. Something should definitely be done about it.

• DTF.org Member
  • Carpe Diem-2020
I don't see it on my Mac, but on my iPhone, I do see it. Goddammit, I retract my earlier statement. Maybe we'll hit up Randy
God have mercy on a man
-Bruce Springsteen

Offline Zook

• Evil Incarnate
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Take My Hand
We all remember this right:

It was cropped when the CD was released, so hopefully they fix this new cover as well. Also, Octavarium had a first rough draft, so maybe the new cover is also a demo.

• DTF.org Member
  • Carpe Diem-2020
The gap is still there on the vinyl edition  :-[
God have mercy on a man
-Bruce Springsteen

Offline Zook

• Evil Incarnate
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Take My Hand
The gap is still there on the vinyl edition  :-[

Wow, that's shitty.

Offline BlackInk

• DTF.org Member
Love the idea of the new cover. But of course the cut-off bothers me something terribly. Even if you try not to look at it's it's impossible to not see. I'd hate for this cool cover to be forever known as the one with the cut off image of a planet. Even though it probably already will be, I'd hate for it to be permanent.

Offline fadetoblackdude7

I hope they fix it before the release. It bothers me quite a bit.

Offline BlobVanDam

• Future Boy
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Transform and rock out!
The cut is more visible on many monitors than it realistically is, because most people these days are using run of the mill LCD monitors with relatively poor black levels, set overly bright, and with viewing angles that give inaccurate colour reproduction.

I'm using a CRT monitor calibrated for correct gamma, and I can't make it out (although my monitor is a bit darker than it should be). I only spotted it when brightening the image.
I would assume that working professionally for print, that Hugh Syme has a high end monitor properly calibrated to closely approximate how it's going to look in print, and if he didn't notice a problem, I find it highly unlikely it will be noticed on the physical album. When taken as a linear value, the brightness of the transition is only a jump of 0.5% brightness, which should be negligible.

And if it's really going to be noticeable when displayed on a computer as a tiny thumbnail when listening to your music (if you're going to be staring at the cover on your computer/mp3 player while listening to it), then here's a "fixed" version. Problem solved!

« Last Edit: July 15, 2013, 02:39:26 AM by BlobVanDam »
Only King could mis-spell a LETTER.
Yep. I think the only party in the MP/DT situation that hasn't moved on is DTF.

Offline Zook

• Evil Incarnate
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Take My Hand
The cut is more visible on many monitors than it realistically is, because most people these days are using run of the mill LCD monitors with relatively poor black levels, set overly bright, and with viewing angles that give inaccurate colour reproduction.

I'm using a CRT monitor calibrated for correct gamma, and I can't make it out (although my monitor is a bit darker than it should be). I only spotted it when brightening the image.
I would assume that working professionally for print, that Hugh Syme has a high end monitor properly calibrated to closely approximate how it's going to look in print, and if he didn't notice a problem, I find it highly unlikely it will be noticed on the physical album. When taken as a linear value, the brightness of the transition is only a jump of 0.5% brightness, which should be negligible.

And if it's really going to be noticeable when displayed on a computer as a tiny thumbnail when listening to your music (if you're going to be staring at the cover on your computer/mp3 player while listening to it), then here's a "fixed" version. Problem solved!

Meh, I like the original better. :neverusethis:

Offline BlackInk

• DTF.org Member
My god, it calms my soul just to look at the fixed version.

Offline BlastParadigm

That fixed version is the savior of times to come  :hefdaddy

But seriously, I hope the band is aware, or that someone on the team is aware. It doesn't matter if you stare at the cover for 24 hours straight or not, that cursed cut will still be there, and the cover WILL be called bad or whatever because of that cut. There's no escaping that.

Online Zydar

• Creep With Tonality
  • DTF.org Alumni
My god, it calms my soul just to look at the fixed version.

Yeah, thanks Blob :tup
Zydar is my new hero.  I just laughed so hard I nearly shat.

Offline Sycsa

Is Charlie Dominici seeking revenge?

keep this srs pls
:lol

I don't think the band noticed, and I'll tell you why:  I cannot for the life of me see where the planet is cut off in normal conditions.  Yeah, when you invert the colors, it's obvious, but the colors aren't inverted.  Even with my laptop on its brightest setting, I can't see the cut, and if I can't see the issue with a very bright backlight, then I doubt I'll see it when it's printed on an album cover.  So yeah, I think it's entirely possible the band is not aware of the "issue".

It's blatantly obvious on my perfectly calibrated monitor and on my smartphone too.

Sycsa is perhaps the most brilliant and insightful man I have ever encountered.