Author Topic: Dream Theater self titled album discussion - [SPOILER FREE DISCUSSION ONLY]  (Read 916380 times)

Offline The Boomr

• The Boomr
Re: Dream Theater self titled album discussion - COVER ART/TRACK LIST on p. 5
« Reply #4200 on: August 01, 2013, 11:58:32 AM »
I mean...sure, most DT fans would've loved to be at that listening party, but having brought us into a listening party wouldn't make us more likely to buy the album....we're already going to buy it. He is confused. :facepalm:
James LaBrie: It's Always an octave higher.

Offline MoraWintersoul

• Gloom Cookie
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • welcome to the wasteland
« Reply #4201 on: August 01, 2013, 12:03:40 PM »
"They could sell their records in millions if they wouldn't let the mainstream in and just turned more to their existing fans" is what I'm hearing?  It's true no one they asked to attend the listening party wouldn't say anything bad about the record, but I'm also pretty sure every one of those journalistic blogs/zines/other outlets they sent invitations to have DT fans in their ranks and that those are the people that went. Fans. Working in the industry doesn't make 'em any less than that.

Don't try to BS her about Kevin Moore facts, she will obscure quote you in the face.

type : mora : and delete the spaces for a surprise

Offline robwebster

« Reply #4202 on: August 01, 2013, 12:05:28 PM »
Come on, he makes some valid points.
He really, really doesn't.

Is this the same blogger who mouthed off at Rena Petrucci a couple of months ago? It looks like the same blog layout, but then, that's the default Wordpress layout.

ETA: Just checked - yes, it is. Why are we giving this the oxygen of publicity? We've got enough grim internet nerds with axes to grind right here!

Offline The Boomr

• The Boomr
« Reply #4203 on: August 01, 2013, 12:06:02 PM »
Come on, he makes some valid points.

Most of it doesn't seem very valid, to me. For example:
Has anyone purchased a Dream Theater album because Billboard Magazine rated it highly or poorly or from a Village Voice review? The answer would be a definite NO. Why? Dream Theater built their career outside of the mainstream.

Going by that logic, inviting their real fans to a listening party would have....absolutely zero effect. Just like it wasn't needed in the first place to earn those fans. One point of this listening party is in fact to gain more mainstream attention, and what's wrong with that? Bands don't want to sit around with the same level of recognition and stagnate there, they want to continue moving up in the world and gaining more fans. You can't really gain more fans by appealing to your already existing fans.

Offline mikeyd23

« Reply #4204 on: August 01, 2013, 12:07:34 PM »
I mean...sure, most DT fans would've loved to be at that listening party, but having brought us into a listening party wouldn't make us more likely to buy the album....we're already going to buy it. He is confused. :facepalm:

Sure I would have loved to be there! But like you said I'll buy the record anyway.  Also, the comparison he makes to Metallica filling an arena for their Black Album listening party is a little off base for this case seeing how I don't think DT could financially swing that move!

Fans. Working in the industry doesn't make 'em any less than that.

Exactly this as well... Just because they work in the industry doesn't make them not fans of the band.  They are still fans even though they happen to have a particular job!

Offline theseoafs

• When the lights go down in the city, and the sun shines on the bayyyyy
  • Hello! My name is Elder Price
« Reply #4205 on: August 01, 2013, 12:08:27 PM »
Is this the same blogger who mouthed off at Rena Petrucci a couple of months ago? It looks like the same blog layout, but then, that's the default Wordpress layout.

ETA: Just checked - yes, it is. Why are we giving this the oxygen of publicity? We've got enough grim internet nerds with axes to grind right here!

Sorry to give this more oxygen, but what's that about mouthing off at Rena?

Offline sueño

• How Dare I Be So Beautiful?
« Reply #4206 on: August 01, 2013, 12:11:18 PM »
Fans. Working in the industry doesn't make 'em any less than that.

Exactly this as well... Just because they work in the industry doesn't make them not fans of the band.  They are still fans even though they happen to have a particular job!

Honestly, I'd think someone working in the music industry is even MORE of a "general music fan" than most people simply because this is the profession they've chosen.  Hard to believe a non-music fan would be there -- even if DT isn't what they live and breathe for.. ;)
"We spend most of our lives convinced we’re the protagonist of the story, but we rarely realize that we’re just supporting characters in everybody else’s story. Nobody thinks about you as much as you do."

Offline Meatrose

• Built for heavy lifting
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Let me show you my new means of transportation...
« Reply #4207 on: August 01, 2013, 12:11:36 PM »
Yeah, he's not making any sense at all. The best way to market the album is to invite existing fans that are already passionate enough to even attend something like this instead of inviting people from the industry? Right. He should also argue that advanced copies should go out to fans instead of reviewers...

Offline robwebster

« Reply #4208 on: August 01, 2013, 12:11:39 PM »

It wasn't! I made a mistake. He was mouthing off about John.

https://destroyerofharmony.wordpress.com/2013/05/27/dream-theater-why-the-silence-on-the-live-at-luna-park-dvd-release/

"All of these projects where co-ordinated and overseen by Mike Portnoy.
"Now that he has gone, we don’t have nothing. No DVD was released after the Black Clouds tour and no Ytse Jam recordings. At the moment it looks like nothing will be released after the recent tour.
"Someone in the band needs to take on Mike Portnoy’s work ethic.
"I wonder how Dream Theater would have sounded today, if John Petrucci left instead of Mike Portnoy back in 2010."

Someone, probably Rena, responded with the name "Rena (aka Yoko)," so I expanded that as being more two-sided in my head - but, in fairness, he did immediately apologise to the commenter, so I've completely misremembered in my haste. Sorry for the confusion theseoafs, and further apologies to the anonymous grouchy blogger with terrible grammar!

Offline noxon

• Fan Club Professional
« Reply #4209 on: August 01, 2013, 12:14:04 PM »
There is one point that could be made about letting fans participate in a listening party, and that is the word of mouth of how well the band treats their fans. I know for a fact that a lot of people still are hardcore fans and support and respect the band -even though- they haven't really enjoyed their latest output, and it's purely because of how the band has treated them in the past. Dream Theater has always been very well aware of the fact that the best way to build a -steady- following is by being respectful towards the fans, and giving them a lot without ever really having to.

But the way he's wording his statement shows a certain lack of maturity and egoism that's quite offputting, so any valid point he may have had falls flat.

Offline robwebster

« Reply #4210 on: August 01, 2013, 12:18:30 PM »
There is one point that could be made about letting fans participate in a listening party, and that is the word of mouth of how well the band treats their fans. I know for a fact that a lot of people still are hardcore fans and support and respect the band -even though- they haven't really enjoyed their latest output, and it's purely because of how the band has treated them in the past. Dream Theater has always been very well aware of the fact that the best way to build a -steady- following is by being respectful towards the fans, and giving them a lot without ever really having to.

But the way he's wording his statement shows a certain lack of maturity and egoism that's quite offputting, so any valid point he may have had falls flat.
Word. It's the difference between, "Hey, wouldn't this be cool?" and "How dare you treat me like this, I deserve better than this swill you serve me, I am going to write an article and post it to THE INTERNET!"

There's an interesting argument to be constructed and potentially an interesting discussion to be had, but he hasn't constructed it, and he's quite clearly only interested in hectoring. It's an impotent yawn of a non-story.

Offline Shadow Ninja 2.0

• Heir Transparent
  • Transcribing Existence Rivets
« Reply #4211 on: August 01, 2013, 12:20:03 PM »
Never Enough

:neverusethis:

Offline lyfeternl

« Reply #4212 on: August 01, 2013, 12:20:54 PM »

https://destroyerofharmony.wordpress.com/2013/05/27/dream-theater-why-the-silence-on-the-live-at-luna-park-dvd-release/

"Now that he has gone, we don’t have nothing. No DVD was released after the Black Clouds tour and no Ytse Jam recordings. At the moment it looks like nothing will be released after the recent tour.
"I wonder how Dream Theater would have sounded today, if John Petrucci left instead of Mike Portnoy back in 2010."

Someone, probably Rena, responded with the name "Rena (aka Yoko)," so I expanded that as being more two-sided in my head - but, in fairness, he did immediately apologise to the commenter, so I've completely misremembered in my haste. Sorry for the confusion theseoafs, and further apologies to the anonymous grouchy blogger with terrible grammar!

This completely invalidates any point the blogger was trying to make
"...the last is just a flurry of notes...so just do it and hope you don't suck..." - JP

Offline hipodilski

« Reply #4213 on: August 01, 2013, 12:21:20 PM »
Left him a nice comment. :D

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
« Reply #4214 on: August 01, 2013, 12:21:34 PM »
hectoring

Wait...what?  Did you just make that word up?  :lol
"The Supreme Court of the United States has descended from the disciplined legal reasoning of John Marshall and Joseph Story to the mystical aphorisms of the fortune cookie."

Offline MoraWintersoul

• Gloom Cookie
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • welcome to the wasteland
« Reply #4215 on: August 01, 2013, 12:23:47 PM »

Yup, me.

Word. It's the difference between, "Hey, wouldn't this be cool?" and "How dare you treat me like this, I deserve better than this swill you serve me, I am going to write an article and post it to THE INTERNET!"
Yeah. The dude probably had no ill intention and I'm terribly sorry to be criticizing him like this, but this article is literally the worst thought process and writing process that could have originated from his legitimately okay idea.

Don't try to BS her about Kevin Moore facts, she will obscure quote you in the face.

type : mora : and delete the spaces for a surprise

Offline Thematt202

« Reply #4216 on: August 01, 2013, 12:24:13 PM »
Sorry but some of those points are valid.  I'm no Portnoy fanboy (much prefer Mangini on every level), but the level of interaction between the band and the fans has dropped to almost nothing.  Jordan tweets several times a day but never about DT or the new album.   We're less than two months away from a major new album release but you'd never guess it from the level of publicity so far.

Just my opinion guys. 

:corn
Shaman take my haaaaand!

Offline Joshin U

• On a wrecking ball to view a fashion show
« Reply #4217 on: August 01, 2013, 12:25:20 PM »
hectoring

hec·tor  (hktr)
n.
A bully.
v. hec·tored, hec·tor·ing, hec·tors
v.tr.
To intimidate or dominate in a blustering way.
v.intr.
To behave like a bully; swagger.

The more you know  :lol

Offline The Boomr

• The Boomr
« Reply #4218 on: August 01, 2013, 12:26:11 PM »
Sorry but some of those points are valid.  I'm no Portnoy fanboy (much prefer Mangini on every level), but the level of interaction between the band and the fans has dropped to almost nothing.  Jordan tweets several times a day but never about DT or the new album.   We're less than two months away from a major new album release but you'd never guess it from the level of publicity so far.

Just my opinion guys. 

Fair enough, but saying you wish there was more publicity and saying anything like what he said are two completely different things, haha.

Offline The Boomr

• The Boomr
« Reply #4219 on: August 01, 2013, 12:26:32 PM »
hectoring

hec·tor  (hktr)
n.
A bully.
v. hec·tored, hec·tor·ing, hec·tors
v.tr.
To intimidate or dominate in a blustering way.
v.intr.
To behave like a bully; swagger.

The more you know  :lol

:clap:

Offline robwebster

« Reply #4220 on: August 01, 2013, 12:26:42 PM »
hectoring

I wish!

verb (used with object) 
( lowercase ) to treat with insolence; bully; torment: The teacher hectored his students incessantly.

It's a brilliant word, though. One of my special favourites. q:

This completely invalidates any point the blogger was trying to make
Oh, yeah. Double-negatives, an inability to differentiate between simple homophones - don't get me wrong, it's a terrible bit of writing for plenty of reasons beyond the fairly nasty and self-centred message it's conveying! Just... why reach past the nastiness?

I will admit a degree of hypocrisy in as much as I'm completely going to town on that blog right now, with a little more venom than is possibly warranted. But he put himself on a podium, and increased demands on my time have left me - to my regret - less tolerant of those who waste it. I'm sure he'd be able to find other stuff we'd agree on, but as far as DT goes, I think, if the author of that blog is going to elect himself as some kind of writer, he needs to spend a bit more time thinking about his opinions before he belches them all over the internet.

Offline The Boomr

• The Boomr
« Reply #4221 on: August 01, 2013, 12:28:19 PM »

But...but I don't understand. Why is he so angry if "we don't have nothing"??  ???

Offline The Boomr

• The Boomr
« Reply #4222 on: August 01, 2013, 12:30:23 PM »
Oh, yeah. Double-negatives, an inability to differentiate between simple homophones - don't get me wrong, it's a terrible bit of writing for plenty of reasons beyond the fairly nasty and self-centred message it's conveying! Just... why reach past the nastiness?

I will admit a degree of hypocrisy in as much as I'm completely going to town on that blog right now, with a little more venom than is possibly warranted. But he put himself on a podium, and increased demands on my time have left me - to my regret - less tolerant of those who waste it. I'm sure he'd be able to find other stuff we'd agree on, but as far as DT goes, I think, if the author of that blog is going to elect himself as some kind of writer, he needs to spend a bit more time thinking about his opinions before he belches them all over the internet.

Oh dear, it seems I've unleashed the wrath and fury of DTF on this guy..... :rollin

Offline lyfeternl

« Reply #4223 on: August 01, 2013, 12:32:15 PM »

Just my opinion guys. 

Okay guys/girls, let's be real: Yes, MP was the frontrunner of the band.

But MP is gone and that leaves the rest of the band (mostly JP) to pick up that role and run with it. MP had "25 years" of practice, trial and error, etc. I think it is foolish to expect a similar output from JP on a fan-base interaction level right out of the gate.

I know this is DTF and what I am about to say goes against the grain and is contradictory to this entire thread and general attitude of most members, but how about we practice some...
 PATIENCE

My opinion is that DT is doing a great job considering the events that have taken place in the past few years and, in my mind, things can only get even better going forward.
"...the last is just a flurry of notes...so just do it and hope you don't suck..." - JP

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
« Reply #4224 on: August 01, 2013, 12:34:06 PM »

Just my opinion guys. 

That's fine.  But your opinion ignores all the interaction the band has had and is continuing to have.  But, yes, you are welcome to your opinion.
"The Supreme Court of the United States has descended from the disciplined legal reasoning of John Marshall and Joseph Story to the mystical aphorisms of the fortune cookie."

Offline commanderbob

« Reply #4225 on: August 01, 2013, 12:34:24 PM »
I don't mean to hector the blogger guy, but we do get to go to huge listening parties.

They're called CONCERTS!

Offline JayOctavarium

• I used to be a whorejerk
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • But then I took a Hef to the knee...
« Reply #4226 on: August 01, 2013, 12:34:51 PM »
I don't mean to hector the blogger guy, but we do get to go to huge listening parties.

They're called CONCERTS!

I just don't understand what they were trying to achieve with any part of the song, either individually or as a whole. You know what? It's the Platypus of Dream Theater songs. That bill doesn't go with that tail, or that strange little furry body, or those webbed feet, and oh god why does it have venomous spurs!? And then you find out it lays eggs too. The difference is that the Platypus is somehow functional despite being a crazy mishmash or leftover animal pieces

-BlobVanDam on "Scarred"

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
« Reply #4227 on: August 01, 2013, 12:35:22 PM »
Y'all need to stop hectoring each other in this thread.

Online Zydar

• Creep With Tonality
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #4228 on: August 01, 2013, 12:35:46 PM »
Who's this Hector guy you're talking about?
Zydar is my new hero.  I just laughed so hard I nearly shat.

Offline jonny108

• Snaaaake Eater
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • ille qui nos omnes servabit
« Reply #4229 on: August 01, 2013, 12:37:07 PM »

Offline Shadow Ninja 2.0

• Heir Transparent
  • Transcribing Existence Rivets
« Reply #4230 on: August 01, 2013, 12:37:20 PM »
 :lol :lol

Online Zydar

• Creep With Tonality
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #4231 on: August 01, 2013, 12:38:03 PM »
Zydar is my new hero.  I just laughed so hard I nearly shat.

Offline RoDT

« Reply #4232 on: August 01, 2013, 12:38:41 PM »
At this point, I feel the band is doing enough to keep in contact with the fans. Of course, many people got used to the level of contact that MP practiced during his DT years. And now (seems like we keep going back to this) these people feel entitled to all sorts of information of their everyday's life.

In retrospective: Keep giving us great music, and I'll stay happy lol.

Offline Joshin U

• On a wrecking ball to view a fashion show
« Reply #4233 on: August 01, 2013, 12:38:53 PM »

I was literally posting that picture right when you did. Damn, ninja'd.
 :lol

Offline wasteland

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Jay Beckenstein was in Spyro Gyra, right?
« Reply #4234 on: August 01, 2013, 12:39:12 PM »

Oh dear, it seems I've unleashed the wrath and fury of DTF on this guy..... :rollin

You have done this guy a far worse service: you have unleashed ROBWEBSTER on him.  :hat

@Hector: I've discovered a new verb today. Thanks to over the dtf for the English Class.
:slayer: Somewhere, over the wasteland..... bootlegs fly :slayer:
MoraWintersoul is the BEST person.
- Marco