Author Topic: Radiohead - The King of Limbs (v. New Thom Yorke solo album out!)  (Read 101539 times)

Offline Nel

• Humorless Bore
Re: Radiohead - The King of Limbs (v. Omg cant wait for the new album)
« Reply #1015 on: February 25, 2013, 04:39:10 PM »
Negativity aside, I still love The Butcher and Staircase, and even though they're not technically on the album they're still from that era.

Just... felt like adding something positive.  :hat
Hire me. I'm talentless but malleable.

Online Mladen

« Reply #1016 on: February 26, 2013, 04:26:42 AM »
I heard Staircase a while ago for the first time and liked it better than anything on The King of limbs. Why it wasn't included on the album is beyond me.

Offline MirzekDT

« Reply #1017 on: February 26, 2013, 05:13:17 AM »
Staircase is great but my favorite TKOL B-side is The Daily Mail that song is amazing.

Offline Pols Voice

• Did ya see the latest Nintendo newsletter?
« Reply #1018 on: February 26, 2013, 05:59:48 AM »
I like Staircase. They finished it after releasing TKOL, but I wonder why they didn't work on it earlier to put it on the album, since it could have been the second or third best song on it.
WHOA, NICE GRAPHICS!

Offline ACID_FOX

• DTF's Offical Arctic Monkeys Fanboy.
  • But You're Just Fiction, And I'm A Twisted Boy.
« Reply #1019 on: February 26, 2013, 07:05:19 AM »
I enjoy TKOL more than the last three or so DT albums. There's nothing to 'get', you just like it or you don't.
I only like ablums that I can xanascholithoun.

Offline ACID_FOX

• DTF's Offical Arctic Monkeys Fanboy.
  • But You're Just Fiction, And I'm A Twisted Boy.
« Reply #1020 on: February 26, 2013, 07:06:26 AM »
Also How I Made My Millions is the best Radiohead B side ;D
I only like ablums that I can xanascholithoun.

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #1021 on: February 26, 2013, 09:19:34 AM »
Radiohead has too many great non-album tracks to count them all. 

Offline Lucidity

• Patron Saint of Time Signatures
« Reply #1022 on: June 15, 2013, 09:57:47 PM »
Radiohead has too many great non-album tracks to count them all.

Talk Show Host ;___;

Offline PuffyPat

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #1023 on: June 26, 2013, 05:16:20 PM »
I know I'm way behind on this, but I'm really starting to get into The King of Limbs. Really dig the whole vibe on the album. Makes me wanna start doing some weird dancing stuff, and I'm totally okay with that.

Little by Little and Lotus Flower are my favorites at the moment, with Lotus Flower just being one of my favorite Radiohead songs in general.
« Last Edit: June 26, 2013, 10:20:04 PM by PuffyPat »
prog sucks
Even if you're not serious, I'm going to pretend you are and use this as proof that not all heroes wear capes.

Offline TioJorge

• Constantly Contorting
  • Ashes to ashes, fun to funky.
« Reply #1024 on: June 26, 2013, 08:23:32 PM »
 :tup :tup

I still think it's one of their best. Really groovy album with some weird tendencies..which isn't a bad thing. I friggin love me some feral.

DTP says "WOW, LOOK AT THAT GREAT POST"
RIP DTP.

Offline Zantera

• Wolfman's brother
  • DTF.org Member
  • Bouncing around the room
« Reply #1025 on: June 27, 2013, 02:48:04 AM »
It was alright. A few good songs, one or two great ones, a few "eh"-ones. Not as good as most of their other albums, but not bad.

Offline PixelDream

• Maestro
« Reply #1026 on: June 27, 2013, 05:44:17 AM »
I enjoy the weird vibe but I do miss some epicness. My favorite tracks are Bloom (it's awesome as an album opener), Codex and Lotus Flower.

I can tell something could've been better just by seeing them live. The songs had so much more meat to it live. They really change up the rhythms and add extra parts etc.
Not 'Down To F***', but 'Dream Theater Forums' .

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #1027 on: February 08, 2014, 01:05:46 PM »
So yeah, a bunch of us decided to do karaoke last night, and a friend and I finished up the night by doing Radiohead's No Surprises.  The rest of our group was like, "What the hell kind of song is that?" :lol :lol  And the guy who was in charge of it said he was gonna take that song off the list so no one could ever do it there again. :rollin :rollin :rollin  But hey, we knew it was an odd choice, and, rather than going with a safe, predictable song, we defied conventional wisdom and did the oddball song.  Felt great. (even if my singing is, well, not good :lol). :hat :hat

Offline NotePad

« Reply #1028 on: February 12, 2014, 01:24:43 PM »
I'v just recently been getting more into Radiohead. What I really love about King of Limbs is the overall ambience of it. It is such a fantastic album, so honest, and i don't mean lyrically, but musically. It's real art, you know? No commercial bullshit.

I love the electronic direction they went with Kid A and Amnesiac. I don't know how hardcore fans feel about them, but I think they're a couple of their best albums. I also love Thom Yorke's solo album The Eraser. Musically, it sounds very simple at times, and it's all the better for it. It has such a great, cold ambiance to it. I don't know if he's done another solo album since, but he should. (there's a video of him playing a song, i think Clocks?, but it was play on an acoustic guitar and really ruins it IMO. But with music like that, would playing it live just requite pressing play on a laptop? so i understand)

Sometimes I wonder what Tool will do on their next album, because Lateralus seems to be their definitive album and sound, how can they go father? they don't have to go 'farther'. I think they should take an approach similar to the style of King of Limbs, not in sound, but in style of music and style of writing. Just let the music flow and have more soul. Tool's last CD didn't have any flow, it was great, but kind of a step down from Lateralus. I want them to take an approach similar to the recent Radiohead.

Offline Shadow Ninja 2.0

• Heir Transparent
  • Transcribing Existence Rivets
« Reply #1029 on: February 12, 2014, 01:29:11 PM »
You know when you were a kid, and you played with Play-Doh? And your parents always told you not to mix the Play-Doh with other colors, because you'd never be able to separate them?

You keep mixing the Play-Doh, Notepad.

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #1030 on: February 12, 2014, 02:06:13 PM »
I'v just recently been getting more into Radiohead. What I really love about King of Limbs is the overall ambience of it. It is such a fantastic album, so honest, and i don't mean lyrically, but musically. It's real art, you know? No commercial bullshit.

I agree that the overall ambience of King of Limbs is pretty sweet, but while it is an extremely enjoyable listen from start to finish, none of the individual songs are even close to be among my favorites by them. 

Offline TioJorge

• Constantly Contorting
  • Ashes to ashes, fun to funky.
« Reply #1031 on: February 12, 2014, 02:11:50 PM »
Absolutely love TKOL. I think it stands out as a whole and as individual songs; Codex being the standout. Separator is a close second.

It's just such a groovy album, it flows fantastically and has some awesome beats. Feral.. :heart

DTP says "WOW, LOOK AT THAT GREAT POST"
RIP DTP.

Offline NotePad

« Reply #1032 on: February 12, 2014, 02:17:25 PM »

I agree that the overall ambience of King of Limbs is pretty sweet, but while it is an extremely enjoyable listen from start to finish, none of the individual songs are even close to be among my favorites by them.

I cant list any particular songs because I don't know any song names. I can't remember any melodies but I'v only listened to the album a couple times ;p

One thing I remember from my listens was that all the songs flowed into each other. Not directly, of course. But it's that not one song felt out of place. It's the Radiohead album that most feels like one cohesive piece. You can't take one of it's songs and put it on another Radiohead album.

Offline Outcrier

« Reply #1033 on: February 12, 2014, 02:19:52 PM »
I love TKOL: Live from the Basement, it's the definitive version of the album imo.
My favorites are Bloom, Little by Little, Codex, Lotus Flower and Staircase (i also add These Are My Twisted Words in the TKOL playlist even though is not a song from the album).
You only heard the studio version, Notepad?
Outcrier: Toughest cop on the force.

Offline NotePad

« Reply #1034 on: February 12, 2014, 02:26:28 PM »
Yea, only the studio version. Personally, I don't think it's possible for me to consider a live performance of an album to be the albums definitive version. But that's neither here nor there.... I will definitely have to see or hear the live performance tho.

Offline Outcrier

« Reply #1035 on: February 12, 2014, 02:37:05 PM »
They transformed this album live (plus, it has The Daily Mail and Staircase, 2 praised songs that were left of the studio album i think), believe me, it's a must listen.

EDIT: Just hear "Bloom - Live from the Basement" in Youtube and see the difference.
« Last Edit: February 12, 2014, 02:46:45 PM by Outcrier »

Offline Outcrier

Re: Radiohead
« Reply #1036 on: February 12, 2014, 02:54:47 PM »
Ah, now i see that Zantera started this topic long ago.

Radiohead really continues to surprise me, just when i think the rest of their songs will be worse than what i've heard, a song like Go To Sleep comes on, and changes my opinion. =)
gogo radiohead!

It's pretty funny to see his reactions because that's exactly what happened to me when i discovered Radiohead, obsessing over every new song heard  :rollin

Offline Zantera

• Wolfman's brother
  • DTF.org Member
« Reply #1037 on: February 12, 2014, 03:26:42 PM »
I still very much like the band, but TKOL killed off a lot of my interest in the band. Don't get me wrong, I thought the album was fine, and had some good songs, but the direction they have been heading lately just feels kinda boring to me. I will check out a new album, but most of Thom Yorke's recent stuff has been like that for me. I really didn't care for Atoms For Peace at all.

Offline ariich

• Roulette Supervillain
  • Global Moderator
  • sexin' you later
« Reply #1038 on: February 12, 2014, 03:43:45 PM »
I was the same. TKOL is fine, but it's quite samey and not very exciting. Especially after In Rainbows which is just fantastic!

Ariich is a freak, or somehow has more hours in the day than everyone else.
I be am boner inducing.

Offline orcus116

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #1039 on: February 12, 2014, 04:32:33 PM »
I really hope they bring back actual guitar riffs and such but I can't see it happening.

Offline Kotowboy

• Yes THAT Kotowboy.
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1040 on: February 12, 2014, 04:34:05 PM »
I really hope they bring back actual guitar riffs and such but I can't see it happening.

Same. I enjoyed Kid A as a one-off but I hated Amnesiac and have not been tempted back since.

You know what would be *really* surprising ?

If they bought out another "Bends" - they've been doing this aphex twin lite bollocks for ages now.

Offline orcus116

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #1041 on: February 12, 2014, 04:41:35 PM »
That would make me so happy.

Offline Kotowboy

• Yes THAT Kotowboy.
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1042 on: February 12, 2014, 04:43:18 PM »
I completely lost interest after Amnesiac. Then Thom's solo album was the same stuff and now Atoms For Peace is the same stuff.

Doesn't he get bored of doing minimalist electro with vocoder-ed whiny vocals ?

Offline Zantera

• Wolfman's brother
  • DTF.org Member
« Reply #1043 on: February 12, 2014, 05:56:01 PM »
I think Amnesiac and Kid A are probably my favorites. In Rainbows is a close third. I know a lot of people prefer OK Computer and The Bends, and I would say both those albums are good. I just like the experimental side of the band a bit more, and the "rock" albums are a bit too safe for my taste. Some good songs, but not as interesting or enjoyable to listen to. With that said, the newer Thom Yorke stuff (TKOL included) is towards the experimental way, I just feel like we've been hearing the same stuff for a couple of years now, so it isn't very exciting. Despite some lukewarm reviews, I actually really enjoyed The Eraser. I thought it was a pretty solid and fun album, but after TKOL and Atoms For Peace, I feel like it's just the same Thom Yorke-electronica all over again. It's nowhere near as exciting as it was on Amnesiac and Kid A.

Offline Outcrier

« Reply #1044 on: February 12, 2014, 06:50:30 PM »
You know what would be *really* surprising ?

If they bought out another "Bends" - they've been doing this aphex twin lite bollocks for ages now.

They already did that with In Rainbows :neverusethis:
TKOL sounds like some demos compared to the live one, it's a must listen for everyone who didn't liked the album very much.

Offline orcus116

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #1045 on: February 12, 2014, 06:54:35 PM »
Got a link? I only managed one listen of TKOL before dismissing it.

Offline Kotowboy

• Yes THAT Kotowboy.
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1046 on: February 12, 2014, 06:54:53 PM »
I thought Hail To The Thief was supposed to be their return to more band based rock.

Lots of people praised In Rainbows so I gave it a go but couldn't get past the first couple of songs.

Offline orcus116

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #1047 on: February 12, 2014, 06:56:16 PM »
Have you heard the B-sides? The songs are so much better than the ones on the album. Much more HTTT based (guitars/piano).

Offline Kotowboy

• Yes THAT Kotowboy.
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1048 on: February 12, 2014, 06:57:43 PM »
Have you heard the B-sides? The songs are so much better than the ones on the album. Much more HTTT based (guitars/piano).

To be honest I don't listen to radiohead at all these days. I was a huge fan around Pablo Honey / The Bends / Ok Computer days.

I liked Kid A but after Amnesiac I just went off them entirely.

Offline Outcrier

« Reply #1049 on: February 12, 2014, 07:01:49 PM »
Got a link? I only managed one listen of TKOL before dismissing it.

www.youtube.com/watch?v=XuDcsKDGGHM