Author Topic: Official Queensryche Thread - NEW ALBUM INFO. p. 30  (Read 50320 times)

Offline Dark Castle

• DTF.org Member
  • SmegmaPrincessX
Re: Official Queensryche Thread - NEW ALBUM INFO. p. 30
« Reply #1225 on: May 23, 2013, 07:15:13 PM »
My thoughts on the matter: most of Queensryche's classic material are shorter and more compact songs. My three favorite QR albums (The Warning, Rage for Order and Promised Land) are all somewhere in the forty minute long range. Say what you will, but Operation: Mindcrime drags for me at times, especially on both Suite Sister Mary and Eyes of a Stranger. Mind you, Queensryche did some wonderful epics in the classic era such as Roads to Madness, Anybody Listening? and Promised Land. But generally speaking, the band is at their best with shorter songs that explode with progressive musical ideas like Screaming In Digital, The Needle Lies, One More Time and En Force.

This is also the first true Queensryche album since Tribe, and the first release from QR that wasn't affected by Tate's issues since Promised Land or possibly even Empire. Despite the fact that the band members have written musical material in outside projects during the Tateryche era, it's been awhile since these guys have really gotten to write new material for the true vision of Queensryche, and there's also Todd and Parker to consider too.

This is a band that's re-establishing themselves musically, but they also have to put out a great album. So I can see why the band would focus on writing shorter songs, since that's always been Queensryche's strong point. I would rather wait for the band to make an epic like RtM or PL until they are absolutely confident that it is top notch and a worthy addition to the album than just lop on a song to bump up the album length to forty five minutes. Similarly, I also wouldn't want them to over-saturate the album with a handful of other shorter songs of lesser quality to reach the forty-five minute mark.

I do think the next album will probably be a little longer though. Once the band has completely gelled together as a musical entity in terms of songwriting with both the original members dusting off the rust and Parker and Todd developing more experience as songwriters, I think we'll see them expand on their horizons with varying song lengths. I'd be very surprised if there isn't at least one song on the next album that's over five minutes long.

My .02 cents. :tup
You're steadily becoming one of my favorite members around here. You've got a good head on your shoulders.

Offline Mister Gold

• The Makers of Our Own Destiny
  • Human
« Reply #1226 on: May 23, 2013, 07:31:56 PM »
My thoughts on the matter: most of Queensryche's classic material are shorter and more compact songs. My three favorite QR albums (The Warning, Rage for Order and Promised Land) are all somewhere in the forty minute long range. Say what you will, but Operation: Mindcrime drags for me at times, especially on both Suite Sister Mary and Eyes of a Stranger. Mind you, Queensryche did some wonderful epics in the classic era such as Roads to Madness, Anybody Listening? and Promised Land. But generally speaking, the band is at their best with shorter songs that explode with progressive musical ideas like Screaming In Digital, The Needle Lies, One More Time and En Force.

This is also the first true Queensryche album since Tribe, and the first release from QR that wasn't affected by Tate's issues since Promised Land or possibly even Empire. Despite the fact that the band members have written musical material in outside projects during the Tateryche era, it's been awhile since these guys have really gotten to write new material for the true vision of Queensryche, and there's also Todd and Parker to consider too.

This is a band that's re-establishing themselves musically, but they also have to put out a great album. So I can see why the band would focus on writing shorter songs, since that's always been Queensryche's strong point. I would rather wait for the band to make an epic like RtM or PL until they are absolutely confident that it is top notch and a worthy addition to the album than just lop on a song to bump up the album length to forty five minutes. Similarly, I also wouldn't want them to over-saturate the album with a handful of other shorter songs of lesser quality to reach the forty-five minute mark.

I do think the next album will probably be a little longer though. Once the band has completely gelled together as a musical entity in terms of songwriting with both the original members dusting off the rust and Parker and Todd developing more experience as songwriters, I think we'll see them expand on their horizons with varying song lengths. I'd be very surprised if there isn't at least one song on the next album that's over five minutes long.

You're steadily becoming one of my favorite members around here. You've got a good head on your shoulders.

Domo arigato, good sir! :biggrin: :tup
Beyond the limits of the mortal frame
To the farthest boundary of eternity
Where I, the Cosmic Sea
Watch the little ego floating in me.

Offline jammindude

« Reply #1227 on: May 23, 2013, 09:04:54 PM »

I agree with everything you said, with the exception that I believe Suite Sisister Mary is the greatest and most complete song in QR's entire catalog.
"Better the pride that resides in a citizen of the world.
Than the pride that divides when a colorful rag is unfurled." - Neil Peart

The Jammin Dude Show - https://www.youtube.com/user/jammindude

Offline Mister Gold

• The Makers of Our Own Destiny
  • Human
« Reply #1228 on: May 23, 2013, 09:12:33 PM »

I agree with everything you said, with the exception that I believe Suite Sisister Mary is the greatest and most complete song in QR's entire catalog.

Eh, different strokes for different folks, I guess. :biggrin: I definitely think it drags on a bit, but it's not a bad song by any means and it has some terrific moments, so I can see why others love it so much. :tup

That said, thanks man! :metal
Beyond the limits of the mortal frame
To the farthest boundary of eternity
Where I, the Cosmic Sea
Watch the little ego floating in me.

Offline Perpetual Change

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1229 on: May 24, 2013, 07:50:40 AM »
Shorter albums don't bother me one bit. They do really make the margin of error much more narrow, though. There's only 9 songs here, with an intro and a short instrumental track. Assume 3 or 4 of the songs are duds, and suddenly you've got a pretty average album, even if the other stuff ranges from good to great. 

BTW, regarding the "crap year for music" discussion... Not sure. I've heard a ton of great new music this year. I have not heard much great metal/rock music, though.

Offline Cruithne

« Reply #1230 on: May 24, 2013, 08:21:42 AM »
Shorter albums don't bother me one bit. They do really make the margin of error much more narrow, though.

Basically this.

I'd far rather have a really tight, 35 minute long album that's strong from start-to-finish than a 45 one that has 10 minutes of filler.

However, if all you're delivering is 35 minutes of music then it has to be damn good 35 minutes worth to feel like value for money these days and any tracks that seem like filler will feel like a kick in the teeth.

Still, what I've heard from the tracks that've been released and the samples it's sounding good - a hell of a lot better than the dreck they've been peddling post-Tribe. Until I hear the full thing I wouldn't like to say it's better than Tribe, HITNF or Promised Land, but I now feel like I can look forward to new QR material again instead of rubber necking the train wreck.

Offline Perpetual Change

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1231 on: May 24, 2013, 08:58:45 AM »
Ok, my big fear is that Redemption is either one of the better songs on the album, or it's smack in the middle. If we're generous, and we imagine Redemption basically ranks in the middle of songs, then you've got 4 songs on the album that are better than Redemption, and 4 songs that aren't, plus the intro and minute-long instrumental track. Since Redemption is pretty run-of-the-mill, not-bad-but-not-really-good, the idea of half the album, no matter how short, being worse than it is not very promising.

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #1232 on: May 24, 2013, 09:04:24 AM »
Ok, my big fear is that Redemption is either one of the better songs on the album, or it's smack in the middle. If we're generous, and we imagine Redemption basically ranks in the middle of songs, then you've got 4 songs on the album that are better than Redemption, and 4 songs that aren't, plus the intro and minute-long instrumental track. Since Redemption is pretty run-of-the-mill, not-bad-but-not-really-good, the idea of half the album, no matter how short, being worse than it is not very promising.
Yup.
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
Winger Theater Forums........or WTF.  ;D
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
« Reply #1233 on: May 24, 2013, 09:05:18 AM »
If Redemption is a "middle of the road" song for this album, most Queensryche fans will be thrilled, myself included.  Good song.
"The Supreme Court of the United States has descended from the disciplined legal reasoning of John Marshall and Joseph Story to the mystical aphorisms of the fortune cookie."

Offline Bertielee

• RIP, Dad (1935-2017)
« Reply #1234 on: May 24, 2013, 11:14:04 AM »
Not really thrilled by what I've heard so far. Some good things, but I was waiting for more from Todd. My expectations must have been too high, but I don't know if I will buy the album without listening to it in full first.

B.Lee
"Life is divided into two sets of people : people who have lost and people who haven't yet." George Michael

Offline Lowdz

« Reply #1235 on: May 24, 2013, 03:23:47 PM »
So the album is short. Why on earth do they need a 2 cd edition with the 3 live bonus tracks on a 2nd disc? They must be Grateful Dead length jams on the live tracks if they couldn't fit on one cd.

Offline jjrock88

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1236 on: May 24, 2013, 04:06:35 PM »
So the album is short. Why on earth do they need a 2 cd edition with the 3 live bonus tracks on a 2nd disc? They must be Grateful Dead length jams on the live tracks if they couldn't fit on one cd.

I  think the deluxe edition is still just one cd, with the three live tracks at the end of it.

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1237 on: May 24, 2013, 04:10:40 PM »
For some reason there's a single cd edition with the bonus tracks but there is also a digi 2 cd version but with the same bonus tracks.
Everyone else, except Wolfking is wrong.

Offline Zook

• Evil Incarnate
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Take My Hand
« Reply #1238 on: May 24, 2013, 06:58:56 PM »
Let's see:

Taking off the atrocious NM 156 (deal with it) and Prophecy (since it was only added to the remaster) The Warning would come to 43:59 which is pretty short, but at least there would be no bad songs.

Taking off the even more atrocious Gonna Get Close to You and London, since it's nothing special, Rage For Order comes to 36:11. A minute longer, but no bad songs.

Operation: Mindcrime is perfect as is.

I don't have much issue with Empire.

35 minutes isn't a bad length if there are no bad tracks.

Offline jammindude

« Reply #1239 on: May 24, 2013, 11:10:29 PM »
Let's see:

Taking off the atrocious NM 156 (deal with it) and Prophecy (since it was only added to the remaster) The Warning would come to 43:59 which is pretty short, but at least there would be no bad songs.

Taking off the even more atrocious Gonna Get Close to You and London, since it's nothing special, Rage For Order comes to 36:11. A minute longer, but no bad songs.

:(

I'm absolutely dumbstruck. 

The Warning as a whole is just above average....but NM 156 is absolutely BRILLIANT.    If there is a weak track off RFO at all, it would be Chemical Youth.   OMC would have been perfect were it not for Breaking the Silence (it was so incredibly forgettable that I had to actually look up what it was named...and I've heard that album at least a thousand times).   And for the love of God, please forget that Jet City Woman and Another Rainy Night ever existed.    QR almost died for me when I heard that dreck.

Offline PowerSlave

« Reply #1240 on: May 24, 2013, 11:41:49 PM »
Let's see:

The Warning as a whole is just above average....but NM 156 is absolutely BRILLIANT.    If there is a weak track off RFO at all, it would be Chemical Youth.   OMC would have been perfect were it not for Breaking the Silence (it was so incredibly forgettable that I had to actually look up what it was named...and I've heard that album at least a thousand times).   And for the love of God, please forget that Jet City Woman and Another Rainy Night ever existed.    QR almost died for me when I heard that dreck.

On occasion I'm reminded how I can be a fan of a band and have opinions about them that are completely at odds with other fans of that band. This is one of those times lol...
All of this has happened before and all of this will happen again

Offline Lowdz

« Reply #1241 on: May 25, 2013, 04:34:57 AM »
For some reason there's a single cd edition with the bonus tracks but there is also a digi 2 cd version but with the same bonus tracks.

I'm not a huge fan of live tracks tacked onto the end of an album so would prefer a 2nd disc with them on, but when an album is this short in this day and age charging extra for it is a piss take.

A short album doesn't upset me, many of my top 50 albums were of a similar length. Better that than being 2/3 songs too long like Empire (although not bad, I would cut Della Brown, One And Only and Hand On Heart).
But Zook, NM156??? Great song. I like GGCTY and London too. And BTS. Really albums 1,2,3,and 4 are pretty flawless as albums go imo.
If we're talking crap songs, Dis ConNec Ted. Not even bacon can save that song.

Offline Ruba

« Reply #1242 on: May 25, 2013, 05:41:13 AM »
Guysguysguys...

NM 156 is the tits.
Gonna Get Close to You is my favourite on RFO.
London is decent.
Breaking the Silence is the worst song on O:M, but pretty good still.
Another Rainy Night is a top 15 QR song for me.
Dis Con Nec Ted is at its best when paired with Promised Land, but it's very good as an individual track too.

Chemical Youth is probably the only song from the three first albums I don't particularly care about. Neue Regel isn't really high in my ranks, but it's grown on me (takes cover before jammindude comes around).

Offline Zook

• Evil Incarnate
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Take My Hand
« Reply #1243 on: May 25, 2013, 07:46:12 AM »
@Lowdz: I don't like the robot voice stuff in the verses. Does nothing for me.

Offline jammindude

« Reply #1244 on: May 25, 2013, 08:40:37 AM »
Guysguysguys...

NM 156 is the tits.
Gonna Get Close to You is my favourite on RFO.
London is decent.
Breaking the Silence is the worst song on O:M, but pretty good still.
Another Rainy Night is a top 15 QR song for me.
Dis Con Nec Ted is at its best when paired with Promised Land, but it's very good as an individual track too.

Chemical Youth is probably the only song from the three first albums I don't particularly care about. Neue Regel isn't really high in my ranks, but it's grown on me (takes cover before jammindude comes around).

Finally...someone that agrees with me on Dis Con Nec Ted.   

But then you had to go and ruin it by dissin on Neue Regal.   ;)   (NR is my second favorite all time QR track behind SSM)

Offline Nick

• A doctor.
  • Global Moderator
  • But not the medical kind.
« Reply #1245 on: May 25, 2013, 09:02:02 AM »
Let's see:

Well, I have issue with you and Zook and Prophecy and Chemical Youth are my two favorite Queensryche songs. :lol
For the best online progressive radio: ProgRock.com
For the best in progressive news, reviews, and interviews: SonicPerspectives.com
For a trove of older podcasts and interviews: WPaPU.com
Awesome Majesty Pendant Club: Member #1

Offline Zook

• Evil Incarnate
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Take My Hand
« Reply #1246 on: May 25, 2013, 09:54:34 AM »
I have no problems with Prophecy. I was just trying to justify the short album length with examples.

Offline Lowdz

« Reply #1247 on: May 25, 2013, 03:02:28 PM »
@Lowdz: I don't like the robot voice stuff in the verses. Does nothing for me.

Fair enough. I can understand that. It was the first song I fell in love with on TW after THOTF which I'd heard prior to getting the album. At the time it was pretty cool and topical. AAAHHH the killer computers are taking over!!!! :biggrin:

Offline jammindude

« Reply #1248 on: May 25, 2013, 10:07:04 PM »
NM 156 was actually supposed to open the album.   The track listing was changed without the bands knowledge (or approval) by EMI.  The bands track listing was:

Side 1:

NM 156
En Force
Deliverance
No Sanctuary
Take Hold of the Flame

Side 2:

Child of the Fire
Before the Storm
Warning
Roads to Madness

Offline Lowdz

« Reply #1249 on: May 26, 2013, 04:29:25 AM »
NM 156 was actually supposed to open the album.   The track listing was changed without the bands knowledge (or approval) by EMI.  The bands track listing was:

Side 1:

NM 156
En Force
Deliverance
No Sanctuary
Take Hold of the Flame

Side 2:

Child of the Fire
Before the Storm
Warning
Roads to Madness

Yeah I was aware of this. The album flows so much better the way the band intended. Record companies huh? What do they know?
The album took a long time for me to really get into. Looking back it was probably the track order that caused it. Warning never really sat right as an opener.

Offline Phoenix87x

• From the ashes
  • The Phoenix shall rise
« Reply #1250 on: May 26, 2013, 05:17:53 AM »
The Warning

Pretty much love the album from beginning to end. I love its song order and its flow and its my favorite QR album.

Rage for order

Love it a lot, but not as much as The Warning. Initially I didn't like Gonna Get close to you, but it has long since grown on me. Its quirky and different. Overall, I think that the album is fantastic, but some of the songs are hit or miss depending on what mood I'm in. But regardless of all that, The killing words is hands down my favorite QR song

Operation mindcrime

There was a time when I listened to it constantly, but not so much at this point. I think I may have over listened to it upon initial discovery. I still highly respect it, but find myself only listening to it on special occasions.

Offline Nick

• A doctor.
  • Global Moderator
  • But not the medical kind.
« Reply #1251 on: May 26, 2013, 06:17:04 AM »
While NM156 would have been a great opener, and a good indication of what their sound would be evolving to, especially on the next album, I think Warning is a fantastic opening track and a great indication of where they were coming from and where they still were at that point in time. I don't like that the record company did that, but I think the album actually benefits from the move.
For the best online progressive radio: ProgRock.com
For the best in progressive news, reviews, and interviews: SonicPerspectives.com
For a trove of older podcasts and interviews: WPaPU.com
Awesome Majesty Pendant Club: Member #1

Offline PowerSlave

« Reply #1252 on: May 26, 2013, 02:42:56 PM »
While NM156 would have been a great opener, and a good indication of what their sound would be evolving to, especially on the next album, I think Warning is a fantastic opening track and a great indication of where they were coming from and where they still were at that point in time. I don't like that the record company did that, but I think the album actually benefits from the move.

Yeah, I couldn't imagine the song order any other way than the way that it was released. However, that is probably because I've listened to it for so long the way it is.
All of this has happened before and all of this will happen again

Offline Jaq

• Favorite song by Europe: Carrie.
« Reply #1253 on: May 27, 2013, 11:42:39 AM »
Re-ordering the songs on The Warning was a rare case of good meddling from the record label.

The awful, biteless mix the label insisted on, now...
The bones of beasts and the bones of kings become dust in the wake of the hymn.
Mighty kingdoms rise, but they all will fall, no more than a breath on the wind.

Offline Mindflux

• DT.net Veteran
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1254 on: May 27, 2013, 06:21:49 PM »
Amazon just notified me that the Auto-Rip of this album is available now because the album is coming out soon.  I guess I'll download it.   :metal

After logging into Cloud Player it seems they've mistaken the new album for the original EP.

:rollin

Offline MoraWintersoul

• Gloom Cookie
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • welcome to the wasteland
« Reply #1255 on: May 28, 2013, 01:40:14 AM »
Amazon just notified me that the Auto-Rip of this album is available now because the album is coming out soon.  I guess I'll download it.   :metal

After logging into Cloud Player it seems they've mistaken the new album for the original EP.

Ahahahahahahah awesome :lol

Don't try to BS her about Kevin Moore facts, she will obscure quote you in the face.

type : mora : and delete the spaces for a surprise

Offline ZKX-2099

• The Drifting Drifter
« Reply #1256 on: May 28, 2013, 07:05:24 AM »

Yeah, they may have made a bad name choice there.

Untainted would have been good.

Offline Shadow Ninja 2.0

• Heir Transparent
  • Transcribing Existence Rivets
« Reply #1257 on: May 28, 2013, 10:51:50 AM »

Auto Rip is a freaking pain. It still doesn't have about half the albums it told me were available. Sometimes albums show up with only a few of the songs.  >:(

Offline Mindflux

• DT.net Veteran
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1258 on: May 28, 2013, 07:47:20 PM »

Auto Rip is a freaking pain. It still doesn't have about half the albums it told me were available. Sometimes albums show up with only a few of the songs.  >:(

Yeah I don't get that...

Offline Bertielee

• RIP, Dad (1935-2017)
« Reply #1259 on: May 31, 2013, 12:21:10 AM »
A review of the new album :

https://gunshyassassin.com/reviews/review-toddryches-queensryche-a-moody-dark-lp-that-exceeds-expectations/

Interesting, if only for what he says on Tatewreck... :lol

B.Lee
"Life is divided into two sets of people : people who have lost and people who haven't yet." George Michael