Author Topic: Official Queensryche Thread - NEW ALBUM INFO. p. 30  (Read 50326 times)

Offline Zook

• Evil Incarnate
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Take My Hand
Re: Official Queensryche Thread - NEW ALBUM INFO. p. 30
« Reply #1155 on: May 20, 2013, 07:49:19 PM »
:puke:

Offline Mister Gold

• The Makers of Our Own Destiny
  • Human
« Reply #1156 on: May 22, 2013, 08:17:43 AM »
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00CXL6XP0/ref=sr_1_album_1_rd?ie=UTF8&child=B00CXL716A&qid=1369227091&sr=1-1

Amazon's got song samples for the whole album online now. :metal Open Road sounds amazing.

1. X2 1:09
2. Where Dreams Go To Die 4:25
3. Spore 3:25
4. In This Light 3:23
5. Redemption 4:16
6. Vindication 3:26
7. Midnight Lullaby 0:55
8. A World Without 4:11
9. Don't Look Back 3:13
10. Fallout 2:46
11. Open Road 3:54
Beyond the limits of the mortal frame
To the farthest boundary of eternity
Where I, the Cosmic Sea
Watch the little ego floating in me.

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #1157 on: May 22, 2013, 08:24:30 AM »
Wait, so the CD is only 33 minutes long or so?  I thought they had all of this creativity that was waiting to burst out all of those years Tate suppressed them?  Only 33 minutes worth??

Offline fibreoptix

« Reply #1158 on: May 22, 2013, 08:31:05 AM »
The real crazy thing is (although I'm really trying not to put too much stock into small samples) that this band might actually be on track to save their reputation. This stuff is sounding really good.

And if I'm honest, I'd rather 33 minutes of this than however much longer that Tate dross is going to be.

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #1159 on: May 22, 2013, 08:33:07 AM »
Well, sure, quality over quantity is always key, but still, 33 minutes is tragically short, especially by today's standards.  Hell, it was a bit on the short side by 30 years ago standards. :lol

Offline The King in Crimson

• Stuck in a glass dome since 1914!
  • Mr. Sandman, Give Me A Dream
« Reply #1160 on: May 22, 2013, 08:41:31 AM »
It is a bit short but some great albums sit within the realm of being 30 to 40 minutes in length. So I'm not going to prejudge on that factor. 33 minutes is a bit short though.

Honestly some bands could definitely benefit from realizing that you don't need to use every iota of space on a CD in order to make a good or even great album.

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #1161 on: May 22, 2013, 09:02:05 AM »
Wait, so the CD is only 33 minutes long or so?  I thought they had all of this creativity that was waiting to burst out all of those years Tate suppressed them?  Only 33 minutes worth??
No kidding. This might be shorter than those early Van Halen albums!
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
Winger Theater Forums........or WTF.  ;D
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
« Reply #1162 on: May 22, 2013, 09:06:56 AM »
Well, sure, quality over quantity is always key, but still, 33 minutes is tragically short, especially by today's standards.  Hell, it was a bit on the short side by 30 years ago standards. :lol

Just over 35 minutes, actually.  But, yeah, I feel the same way.  The upside is that from what I've heard, it's a VERY solid 35 minutes.  But still, yeah, the album length feels short, and with a couple of exceptions, the tracks themselves are on the short side as well, which I generally don't like. 

But, yeah, sounds like 35 minutes of pretty solid material.  And let's not forget, the album also includes the following:
1. Queen Of The Reich (live)
2. En Force (live)
3. Prophecy (live)
4. Eyes Of A Stranger (live) - Japanese Bonus Track only
"The Supreme Court of the United States has descended from the disciplined legal reasoning of John Marshall and Joseph Story to the mystical aphorisms of the fortune cookie."

Offline abydos

• DT.net
« Reply #1163 on: May 22, 2013, 09:22:32 AM »
Damn, I was expecting at least one 7-8 minute song. Something like Torre's contribution to Crimson Glory in Garden of Shadows.

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
« Reply #1164 on: May 22, 2013, 09:26:25 AM »
Initially, I was as well.  But once the album length was leaked a few weeks ago, simply math dictated that that wasn't going to be a likely possibility.
"The Supreme Court of the United States has descended from the disciplined legal reasoning of John Marshall and Joseph Story to the mystical aphorisms of the fortune cookie."

Offline abydos

• DT.net
« Reply #1165 on: May 22, 2013, 09:27:59 AM »
On the plus side, if they decide to go and record a live dvd they could play the entire album and still have a lot of time for the classics. I'm still hoping for a good live recording of Promised Land.

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
« Reply #1166 on: May 22, 2013, 09:39:24 AM »
I personally don't think they'll play the entire album live (unless it's for a one-off or a small string of shows).  But it DOES enable them to play a larger number of new songs than they otherwise might.

Offline Jaq

• Favorite song by Europe: Carrie.
« Reply #1167 on: May 22, 2013, 10:44:19 AM »
That is a short album, though. Like Rush in the late 70s short.  :lol Quality over quantity, though, so if it's 35 awesome minutes, it's all good. Besides which, epics were largely the exception to the rule with Queensryche-they did far more songs in the 4-6 minute range than they did the 7-10, so the lengths of the songs aren't really an issue.

Still. Pretty damn short.
The bones of beasts and the bones of kings become dust in the wake of the hymn.
Mighty kingdoms rise, but they all will fall, no more than a breath on the wind.

Offline jingle.boy

• I'm so ronery; so sad and ronery
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • DTF's resident deceased dictator
« Reply #1168 on: May 22, 2013, 12:04:28 PM »
I'll definitely take quality over quantity, but this is Eat 'em and Smile short.  Not bothered, because we also get 3-4 live tracks.  Overall, I'm cool with this.
That's a word salad - and take it from me, I know word salad
I fear for the day when something happens on the right that is SO nuts that even Stadler says "That's crazy".
Quote from: Puppies_On_Acid
Remember the mark of a great vocalist is if TAC hates them with a special passion

Offline Lowdz

« Reply #1169 on: May 22, 2013, 12:46:44 PM »
I thought with the emphasis on The Warning in the live show they may have done a Roads To Madness/No Sanctuary style epic to close the album. Ahh well. I'll take  30 odd minutes of great music over three hours of Tate-wreck any day.

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1170 on: May 22, 2013, 04:03:29 PM »
I'm completely fine with a 35 minute album.
Everyone else, except Wolfking is wrong.

Offline Dark Castle

• DTF.org Member
  • SmegmaPrincessX
« Reply #1171 on: May 22, 2013, 04:13:19 PM »

Offline ZKX-2099

• The Drifting Drifter
« Reply #1172 on: May 22, 2013, 04:19:06 PM »

Yes. Fine. Not much else. Definitely not what they need. They need a great album. Ones that short are rarely great.

But we'll see.

Offline Dark Castle

• DTF.org Member
  • SmegmaPrincessX
« Reply #1173 on: May 22, 2013, 04:21:07 PM »
I'd love to hear you try and prove that. I have many great albums in the 30-40 minute range

Offline Nick

• A doctor.
  • Global Moderator
  • But not the medical kind.
« Reply #1174 on: May 22, 2013, 04:23:16 PM »
Considering music is subjective I can't imagine how asking him to prove it could possibly go wrong.
For the best online progressive radio: ProgRock.com
For the best in progressive news, reviews, and interviews: SonicPerspectives.com
For a trove of older podcasts and interviews: WPaPU.com
Awesome Majesty Pendant Club: Member #1

Offline Zook

• Evil Incarnate
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Take My Hand
« Reply #1175 on: May 22, 2013, 04:25:49 PM »
My favorite band used to be The Offspring, who had barely 30 minute albums most of the time. Although I am a tad disappointed since Queensryche is a metal band, and my prog fan-ness wants more. Nemesea's In control is like 35-40 minutes, and I love that album so we'll see.

Offline ZKX-2099

• The Drifting Drifter
« Reply #1176 on: May 22, 2013, 04:41:27 PM »
I'd love to hear you try and prove that. I have many great albums in the 30-40 minute range

I apologize. Who am I to post my opinion...

Offline Orbert

• Recovering Musician
  • EZBoard Elder
  • In and around the lake
« Reply #1177 on: May 22, 2013, 04:43:51 PM »
It seems a bizarre and patently baseless thing to say.  "Ones that short" used to be the normal length for an album.  Nothing prior to 1975 or so is great?

Offline jammindude

« Reply #1178 on: May 22, 2013, 04:45:23 PM »
Reign in Blood is often heralded as the greatest thrash album ever made...and it's LESS than 30 min.

Another classic less than a half hour, S.O.D. Speak English or Die. Fantastic album.
"Better the pride that resides in a citizen of the world.
Than the pride that divides when a colorful rag is unfurled." - Neil Peart

The Jammin Dude Show - https://www.youtube.com/user/jammindude

Offline Dark Castle

• DTF.org Member
  • SmegmaPrincessX
« Reply #1179 on: May 22, 2013, 04:48:25 PM »
The past few posts is all I'm getting at, length shouldn't be an indication of greatness

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
« Reply #1180 on: May 22, 2013, 05:16:36 PM »
Reign in Blood is often heralded as the greatest thrash album ever made...and it's LESS than 30 min.

Another classic less than a half hour, S.O.D. Speak English or Die. Fantastic album.

Um...you're not helping your case.  :lol

The past few posts is all I'm getting at, length shouldn't be an indication of greatness

In the abstract, I agree.  But in this day and age, it is a factor.  It's easy to overlook 20 or 30 years ago when the media for albums didn't not support longer albums and when the time and expense of making albums was more prohibitive.  But in this day and age, expectations are different.  I'll admit that while I am still very optimistic, I also feel a bit short-changed.  Now if the shorter album means that we will be getting more frequent albums than the norm to make up for it, I will completely change my tune. 

Offline The King in Crimson

• Stuck in a glass dome since 1914!
  • Mr. Sandman, Give Me A Dream
« Reply #1181 on: May 22, 2013, 06:29:54 PM »

Yes. Fine. Not much else. Definitely not what they need. They need a great album. Ones that short are rarely great.

But we'll see.
The 70's disagree with you. :)

Offline Dark Castle

• DTF.org Member
  • SmegmaPrincessX
« Reply #1182 on: May 22, 2013, 06:36:31 PM »

In the abstract, I agree.  But in this day and age, it is a factor.  It's easy to overlook 20 or 30 years ago when the media for albums didn't not support longer albums and when the time and expense of making albums was more prohibitive.  But in this day and age, expectations are different.  I'll admit that while I am still very optimistic, I also feel a bit short-changed.  Now if the shorter album means that we will be getting more frequent albums than the norm to make up for it, I will completely change my tune.
Bands aren't obligated to write longer albums just because the technology allows it. I'd rather get a kickass punch in the gut of an album instead of an album with way too much fluff. Shorter albums are just fine.
« Last Edit: May 22, 2013, 06:42:40 PM by Dark Castle »

Offline Mister Gold

• The Makers of Our Own Destiny
  • Human
« Reply #1183 on: May 22, 2013, 07:02:09 PM »

While I love me my lengthy albums, I do have to say that I think the band made a smart move in going with a shorter and more compact album. A majority of Queensryche's best songs from the classic line-up range from being three-to-five minutes long. While I'd love to see them write another amazing epic like Anybody Listening? or Promised Land, I'd rather have three shorter amazing songs with a really epic vibe to them all than one six minutes-plus long epic that drags on purely as a means for the band to make a song that lasts longer than the others.

Beyond the limits of the mortal frame
To the farthest boundary of eternity
Where I, the Cosmic Sea
Watch the little ego floating in me.

Offline Nick

• A doctor.
  • Global Moderator
  • But not the medical kind.
« Reply #1184 on: May 22, 2013, 08:21:41 PM »

Bands aren't obligated to write longer albums just because the technology allows it. I'd rather get a kickass punch in the gut of an album instead of an album with way too much fluff. Shorter albums are just fine.

I would rather have an album that is 35m killer than an album that is 35m killer and 35m filler as you've suggested. However taking it a step farther I'd rather have an album that is 70m killer than one that's 35m killer.
For the best online progressive radio: ProgRock.com
For the best in progressive news, reviews, and interviews: SonicPerspectives.com
For a trove of older podcasts and interviews: WPaPU.com
Awesome Majesty Pendant Club: Member #1

Offline millahh

• Retired Pedantic Bastard
  • Moderator Emeritus
  • RIP Mark
« Reply #1185 on: May 22, 2013, 08:22:40 PM »
I have no problem with a 35 minute album.  Ghost's Opus Eponymous (released in 2011) is ~34 minutes, and it's glorious.  It arrives, kicks ass, and leaves before it has a chance to overstay it's welcome...and it has no weak tracks.
Quote from: parallax
WHEN WILL YOU ADRESS MY MONKEY ARGUMENT???? NEVER???? THAT\' WHAT I FIGURED.:lol

Offline Dark Castle

• DTF.org Member
  • SmegmaPrincessX
« Reply #1186 on: May 22, 2013, 08:54:17 PM »

I would rather have an album that is 35m killer than an album that is 35m killer and 35m filler as you've suggested. However taking it a step farther I'd rather have an album that is 70m killer than one that's 35m killer.
You can't force a song to be longer than it needs to be. Besides, 70m is quite the stretch for any band.

Offline ZKX-2099

• The Drifting Drifter
« Reply #1187 on: May 22, 2013, 11:17:12 PM »

You can't force a song to be longer than it needs to be. Besides, 70m is quite the stretch for any band.

Yeah. It would be silly to try for more. Half assing it always works out well.

Bands should just release singles anyway.  ::)

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #1188 on: May 22, 2013, 11:19:11 PM »

I apologize. Who am I to post my opinion...

Yeah. It would be silly to try for more. Half assing it always works out well.

Bands should just release singles anyway.  ::)

You don't handle opposing views well, do you?

Offline PowerSlave

« Reply #1189 on: May 22, 2013, 11:36:05 PM »
I'll admit that I'm in the camp of people that was hoping/expecting a longer album. However, it's absolutely silly to judge the merits of the album on the length of the songs alone. It's quite possible that they decided to take steps to trim the fat so to speak and are trying to give us their strongest effort possible. If that's true then there is no way to fault them in my opinion.
All of this has happened before and all of this will happen again