Author Topic: Classic Rock Song of the Day (Deep Cuts now being featured!!)  (Read 160771 times)

Offline jingle.boy

• I'm so ronery; so sad and ronery
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • DTF's resident deceased dictator
Re: Classic Rock Song of the Day
« Reply #2345 on: May 10, 2014, 04:31:57 AM »
I agree with jingle.boy
That's a word salad - and take it from me, I know word salad
I fear for the day when something happens on the right that is SO nuts that even Stadler says "That's crazy".
Quote from: Puppies_On_Acid
Remember the mark of a great vocalist is if TAC hates them with a special passion

Offline King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Take that Beethoven, you deaf bastard!!
I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down'.” - Bob Newhart
So wait, we're spelling it wrong and king is spelling it right? What is going on here? :lol -- BlobVanDam
"Oh, I am definitely a jackass!" - TAC

Offline Lucien

• James 5:1-5
"Kind of a stupid game, isn't it?" - Calvin

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #2348 on: May 10, 2014, 08:52:57 AM »
Crosby, Stills, Nash & Young - Deja Vu

I went through a spell in the early 90s where I was obsessed with CSNY's Deja Vu record, and the title track was one of my favorites.  That brief spell didn't last long, but my love for this song has never waned.  This band, even when it was just three of them, before Young came on board, always knew how to deliver awesome vocal harmonies.  And they are on fine display here. 

Online Orbert

• Recovering Musician
  • EZBoard Elder
  • In and around the lake
« Reply #2349 on: May 10, 2014, 08:59:34 AM »
My love for CSN (and sometimes Y) has never waned.  I love those guys.  Finally saw them in '96, it was already pretty late in their career, but they were still great.  So is this song.

I love the "joke" about how the song starts, then starts again, since the title is "Deja Vu".  Hee hee.

Offline King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2350 on: May 10, 2014, 09:03:08 AM »
Just saw them (minus Y) on Palladia and he David has his son James Raymond from CPR, which I love, on keys touring with them and their harmonies are impeccable.
I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down'.” - Bob Newhart
So wait, we're spelling it wrong and king is spelling it right? What is going on here? :lol -- BlobVanDam

Online Orbert

• Recovering Musician
  • EZBoard Elder
  • In and around the lake
« Reply #2351 on: May 10, 2014, 04:51:17 PM »
CPR are also awesome.  I have both of their albums, and they're kinda like CSN but with keyboards, which is sweet.

Offline King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2352 on: May 10, 2014, 05:56:20 PM »
I wish they'd make a 3rd album. 

Offline masterthes

« Reply #2353 on: May 11, 2014, 03:13:25 AM »
Great number from a great band. Their harmonies are off the chart. I love the trippy bridge section

Offline nicmos

• Having said that...
« Reply #2354 on: May 11, 2014, 02:42:24 PM »
CPR are also awesome.  I have both of their albums, and they're kinda like CSN but with keyboards, which is sweet.

Is that a gimmick cover band or something?  playing on the fact that CSN are really old now?  :D

Offline DebraKadabra

• Witch Goddess of Lankershim Boulevard
  • DTF.org Member
  • Can I be as my god am?
« Reply #2355 on: May 11, 2014, 04:49:01 PM »
Long Distance Runaround:  GREAT song, but I absolutely agree that you HAVE to have The Fish after it.

Deja Vu:  Been a while since I heard this one.  Forgot that I liked it too - oops. :blush

Offline King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2356 on: May 11, 2014, 05:50:15 PM »

Is that a gimmick cover band or something?  playing on the fact that CSN are really old now?  :D

Nope, it's a side project and the CPR name has multiple meanings.  Read up on them.  Here is a song from them.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=N8Vb8iJ1z8M

Online Orbert

• Recovering Musician
  • EZBoard Elder
  • In and around the lake
« Reply #2357 on: May 11, 2014, 06:16:25 PM »

No, it was a serious band, and a pretty good one, too.  Crosby, Pevar, and Raymond.  Jeff Pevar is a guitarist, and James Raymond is David Crosby's son.

If I remember correctly, James was given up for adoption, as Crosby and the boy's mother (whose name I forget) were very young and not in a position to raise a child of their own.  After reaching adulthood, Raymond looked into who has parents were, and his father turned out to be David Crosby.  They got together, and Raymond seems to have inherited Crosby's musical talent, but plays keyboards rather than guitar.  They jammed a bit, and decided to put a band together.  CPR made two albums before breaking up, but Raymond plays keys for CSN and Crosby-Nash when they tour.

Their albums are both great.  Harmonies similar to CSN, music has a similar sound, but different.

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #2358 on: May 11, 2014, 11:52:48 PM »
The Doors - Touch Me

I don't remember the exact moment when I first heard this song; I just know that I thought it was all kinds of awesome when I heard it.  While Jim Morrison probably has far better examples of his vocal prowess, his vocals really stood out to me in this song.  Plus, the melodies themselves are absolutely wonderful.  A definite classic.

Offline King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2359 on: May 12, 2014, 06:17:41 AM »
To add to what Orbert said, James found out the Crosby was in critical condition and needed a blood doner(sp?) and he of course what a match that lead to him admitting he was his son.  Hence the dual meaning to the band name CPR.

Touch me is my favorite Doors song.  Great passion and the song gets me in a great mood every time I hear it.

Offline Jaq

• Favorite song by Europe: Carrie.
« Reply #2360 on: May 12, 2014, 09:02:42 AM »
The Doors seemed to have two modes as a band: writers of immaculate pop songs, and writers of really weird, hard to get a hold of for the time period, songs. This is about as perfect an example of the former as you can get.
The bones of beasts and the bones of kings become dust in the wake of the hymn.
Mighty kingdoms rise, but they all will fall, no more than a breath on the wind.

Online Orbert

• Recovering Musician
  • EZBoard Elder
  • In and around the lake
« Reply #2361 on: May 12, 2014, 10:56:22 AM »
To add to what Orbert said, James found out the Crosby was in critical condition and needed a blood doner(sp?) and he of course what a match that lead to him admitting he was his son.  Hence the dual meaning to the band name CPR.

Oh yeah, I forgot about that part!  I saw them on some show (Letterman or maybe Leno) talking about it.

Touch me is my favorite Doors song.  Great passion and the song gets me in a great mood every time I hear it.

The Doors seemed to have two modes as a band: writers of immaculate pop songs, and writers of really weird, hard to get a hold of for the time period, songs. This is about as perfect an example of the former as you can get.

Yes and yes.  Great song.  The only thing that brings it down, just slightly, is the fact that it's the same verse repeated again and again.  But the words themselves are great, and hey, it was the 60's.  Or was it the 70's?  I don't remember.

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #2362 on: May 12, 2014, 01:09:36 PM »
1969. Close enough.  :lol

Offline masterthes

« Reply #2363 on: May 12, 2014, 02:00:37 PM »
one of my favorite Doors tunes

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #2364 on: May 13, 2014, 08:31:07 AM »
The Beatles - Strawberry Fields Forever

This has long been one of my favorite Beatles songs, and remains so to this day.  I love everything about it.  It's interesting to note that the mellotron was used in this song thanks to the influence of Moody Blues keyboard wizard Mike Pinder, who introduced the instrument to John Lennon.  Awesome tune.

Online Orbert

• Recovering Musician
  • EZBoard Elder
  • In and around the lake
« Reply #2365 on: May 13, 2014, 09:49:18 AM »
Great song.  Kinda weird and offbeat, but cool.

Offline DebraKadabra

• Witch Goddess of Lankershim Boulevard
  • DTF.org Member
  • Can I be as my god am?
« Reply #2366 on: May 13, 2014, 12:20:33 PM »
Touch Me - okay song, but it got WAY overplayed.  Thank you, classic rock radio. :angry:

Strawberry Fields Forever - so, the story on this one is that John had played the song two different ways in the studio and couldn't decide which one to go with.  He ended up telling George Martin to use them both but to try to splice them together in a semi-cohesive manner.  The end result is one of my favorite Beatles songs ever.

Online Orbert

• Recovering Musician
  • EZBoard Elder
  • In and around the lake
« Reply #2367 on: May 13, 2014, 12:25:55 PM »
If I'm not mistaken, the two versions were also in different keys, and George Martin had to play with the tape speeds to get them to sound in the same key when he put them together.  I may be thinking of a different song.  But I know he did it at least once.  George Martin was a genius.  To me, he was the real Fifth Beatle.

Offline ReaperKK

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2368 on: May 13, 2014, 01:21:26 PM »
Strawberry is a good song not great, however it's one of my favorites from The Beatles.

Offline masterthes

« Reply #2369 on: May 13, 2014, 08:06:55 PM »
Definitely my 2nd favorite song off of Magical Mystery Tour (I Am the Walrus is number 1)

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #2370 on: May 14, 2014, 08:21:41 AM »
Since this will be the 300th song/combo to be featured, I tried to find a song that is 3:00.  And I did.

Boston - Rock and Roll Band

Ah, yet another timeless classic from Boston's debut record.  It seems almost too easy to say I love this song, but screw it, there is nothing with calling a great song great, so yeah, this song is great! :lol :biggrin:

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #2371 on: May 14, 2014, 08:25:37 AM »
Oh, and after 300 features, here are the artists that have been featured the most so far:

Led Zeppelin 7
Boston 5
Pink Floyd 5
Queen 5
The Who 5
Blue ึyster Cult 4
The Doobie Brothers 4
The Doors 4
Eagles 4
Electric Light Orchestra 4
Journey 4
Kansas 4
Lynyrd Skynyrd 4
Rush 4
Styx 4
Supertramp 4
Van Halen 4

Online Orbert

• Recovering Musician
  • EZBoard Elder
  • In and around the lake
« Reply #2372 on: May 14, 2014, 09:51:10 AM »
The idea of a rock and roll band writing a song about being a rock and roll band and calling it "Rock and Roll Band" may sound cheesy -- and it is -- but this really is a great song.  Catchy, packs some punch, short and sweet.

Offline jjrock88

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2373 on: May 14, 2014, 11:12:56 AM »
you can't go wrong with any song from Boston

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #2374 on: May 14, 2014, 12:15:56 PM »
Very true, referring to both of your posts.

Honestly, Boston's debut is probably the one classic rock album that will probably see every song from it featured at some point (assuming the thread lasts long enough).

Offline Jaq

• Favorite song by Europe: Carrie.
« Reply #2375 on: May 14, 2014, 12:26:01 PM »
The interesting thing about Rock And Roll Band, of course, is the fact that it's a history of Boston that never really happened. There were no bar band days for them- Tom Scholz once said that being a bar band would be a step up for him. Boston was really just a mad scientist and a couple of his friends making demos in a basement until someone finally noticed them. I hold Boston's debut in ridiculously high regard-it made #6 in my top 50, and could go higher if I ever did something foolish like that again-and Rock And Roll Band was a perfect song to launch the album's second side.
The bones of beasts and the bones of kings become dust in the wake of the hymn.
Mighty kingdoms rise, but they all will fall, no more than a breath on the wind.

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #2376 on: May 14, 2014, 12:28:24 PM »
Great song. Great album.
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
Winger Theater Forums........or WTF.  ;D
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Offline King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2377 on: May 14, 2014, 12:28:40 PM »
A little nugget for you folks.  I once jammed with Brad Delp when I was 15.  He was so good to us and we had a blast.  Sad to see him off himself.  He lived in the same town as my brother which was one town away from where I grew up.

As for the 1st album.  You can put any song from that album and I will tell you it's a masterpiece.

Offline hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
« Reply #2378 on: May 14, 2014, 02:14:15 PM »
Hef is right on all things. Except for when I disagree with him. In which case he's probably still right.

Offline djbj

« Reply #2379 on: May 14, 2014, 05:06:16 PM »
The interesting thing about Rock And Roll Band, of course, is the fact that it's a history of Boston that never really happened. There were no bar band days for them- Tom Scholz once said that being a bar band would be a step up for him. Boston was really just a mad scientist and a couple of his friends making demos in a basement until someone finally noticed them.

I've wondered about this before. I read that Tom Scholtz was an MIT grad who made their first album in his basement using homemade technology, and that didn't seem to mesh with the supposed story of them as a bar band that "barely made enough to survive". I doesn't really matter though, because I see this song less as "their story" and more as a general anthem for all start-up bands dreaming of making it big.

Also, I like how over-the-top Delp goes for the "Sign a record company contract!" line. It's like he's squee-ing.