Author Topic: Classic Rock Song of the Day (Deep Cuts now being featured!!)  (Read 160786 times)

Offline Jaq

• Favorite song by Europe: Carrie.
Re: Classic Rock Song of the Day
« Reply #1890 on: February 23, 2014, 07:39:04 AM »
Buried in the depths of my mind. Buried in the depths of my mind.  :lol
The bones of beasts and the bones of kings become dust in the wake of the hymn.
Mighty kingdoms rise, but they all will fall, no more than a breath on the wind.

Offline JayOctavarium

• I used to be a whorejerk
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • But then I took a Hef to the knee...
« Reply #1891 on: February 23, 2014, 08:50:37 AM »
-waits for story-
I just don't understand what they were trying to achieve with any part of the song, either individually or as a whole. You know what? It's the Platypus of Dream Theater songs. That bill doesn't go with that tail, or that strange little furry body, or those webbed feet, and oh god why does it have venomous spurs!? And then you find out it lays eggs too. The difference is that the Platypus is somehow functional despite being a crazy mishmash or leftover animal pieces

-BlobVanDam on "Scarred"

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #1892 on: February 23, 2014, 09:33:59 AM »
Okay, I have to do it...

Electric Light Orchestra - Evil Woman

Good song...I've always liked it...blah blah blah.  Now give us the story, Jaq. :biggrin:

Offline jingle.boy

• I'm so ronery; so sad and ronery
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • DTF's resident deceased dictator
« Reply #1893 on: February 23, 2014, 10:27:10 AM »
 :corn
That's a word salad - and take it from me, I know word salad
I fear for the day when something happens on the right that is SO nuts that even Stadler says "That's crazy".
Quote from: Puppies_On_Acid
Remember the mark of a great vocalist is if TAC hates them with a special passion

Offline King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Take that Beethoven, you deaf bastard!!
« Reply #1894 on: February 23, 2014, 11:44:46 AM »
Great tune, great melody, now wait for great Jaq story. :lol
I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down'.” - Bob Newhart
So wait, we're spelling it wrong and king is spelling it right? What is going on here? :lol -- BlobVanDam
"Oh, I am definitely a jackass!" - TAC

Offline Jaq

« Reply #1895 on: February 23, 2014, 12:34:00 PM »
Sigh.

You asked for it.

So I was a much younger Jaq. Younger and foolish and, let's face it, a virgin. Our default state, you know how it is. When I was in high school, I had three very close friends; my best friend, a friend of his from high school chorus, and a guy all three of us knew from various classes, who shared our nerdier interests of comic books and Dungeons and Dragons and whatnot. He had a sister a few years younger than us who would hang around and be irritating because she was his kid sister. Her name was Ann Marie.

Seasons change and time passes and we all got a little older and...Ann Marie hit her teens. And sprouted up into a tall, leggy, model attractive young lady. Who took a shine to me. Which annoyed my friend, because, you know, Sisters Are Off Limits. But Ann Marie made it abundantly clear to me that Sisters Weren't Off Limits. Oh, my. One Christmas break, I was hanging out over there, and she was asking me about bands I liked, and I said my interests went from Iron Maiden to ELO. Her eyes lit up but I didn't know why at the time. Anyway, her parents went out, leaving her, me, and her brother at home. She excused herself for a bit and went upstairs. Five minutes later she called "Jack, I need to ask you something!" I shrugged at her brother and went upstairs.

In her bedroom, I found her holding, of all things, a vinyl copy of the soundtrack to the movie Xanadu. Which, if you don't know, in the vinyl age, had one side devoted to the songs Olivia Newton John did, and one side devoted to the songs that ELO did. "So, you like ELO" she said. Younger Jack nodded as she closed her bedroom door and put the album on the ELO side. "Good, my brother won't hear us and you get music you like."

And that is how Jaq lost his virginity to the ELO side of the Xanadu soundtrack.  :rollin
Mighty kingdoms rise, but they all will fall, no more than a breath on the wind.

Offline JayOctavarium

• I used to be a whorejerk
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • But then I took a Hef to the knee...
« Reply #1896 on: February 23, 2014, 12:39:12 PM »
:clap:
I just don't understand what they were trying to achieve with any part of the song, either individually or as a whole. You know what? It's the Platypus of Dream Theater songs. That bill doesn't go with that tail, or that strange little furry body, or those webbed feet, and oh god why does it have venomous spurs!? And then you find out it lays eggs too. The difference is that the Platypus is somehow functional despite being a crazy mishmash or leftover animal pieces

-BlobVanDam on "Scarred"

Offline jingle.boy

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1897 on: February 23, 2014, 12:48:11 PM »
I suppose the only time it's permissible to break the code is when you're gettin your cherry popped.

Did her bro ever find out, and get his obligatory head-or-gut shot in on ya?
I fear for the day when something happens on the right that is SO nuts that even Stadler says "That's crazy".
Remember the mark of a great vocalist is if TAC hates them with a special passion

Offline Jaq

« Reply #1898 on: February 23, 2014, 12:51:40 PM »
A couple years later he tried that.

My best friend decked him.  :lol

We were all massively drunk, though. My best friend decked him because he waited two years and sucker punched me, and was six foot four and 220 pounds where I was five foot nine and 150 pounds at the time. My best friend is only 5'10" but he's always been built like a brick outhouse  :lol

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #1899 on: February 23, 2014, 12:52:59 PM »
*golf clap*

Was that a one-time only thing with the sister?

Offline Jaq

« Reply #1900 on: February 23, 2014, 12:55:05 PM »
It came back a couple of more times before she moved away.

It dawns on me that I mentioned her before in a thread: she was the leggy girl whose highlight of cleverness was that night, and went downhill from there, who had the license plate OYOYOY that was supposed to be read "oh why oh why oh why" and everyone read as OI OI OI.  :lol

Offline jingle.boy

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1901 on: February 23, 2014, 01:14:31 PM »
A couple years later he tried that.

My best friend decked him.  :lol

We were all massively drunk, though. My best friend decked him because he waited two years and sucker punched me, and was six foot four and 220 pounds where I was five foot nine and 150 pounds at the time. My best friend is only 5'10" but he's always been built like a brick outhouse  :lol

Yeah, that's a douche move to pull.  The statute of limitations on payback expires about 30 seconds after the first time he's in your presence after finding out.

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #1902 on: February 24, 2014, 12:18:32 AM »
Yeah, that's pretty weak. 

Offline Orbert

• Recovering Musician
  • EZBoard Elder
  • In and around the lake
« Reply #1903 on: February 24, 2014, 07:13:39 AM »
Probably worth it, though.  You know, the hot sister.

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #1904 on: February 24, 2014, 09:17:00 AM »
Very true.

Pat Benatar - Heartbreaker

Like Loverboy, Pat Benatar usually gets thought of as an 80s artist, but she also rocked pretty good early on and spun out a few classic rock staples.  Heartbreaker is one of those songs.  It never really did a lot for me, although I don't dislike it or anything; the hook is obvious and very catchy.  It just doesn't do much for me.

Offline Podaar

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1905 on: February 24, 2014, 09:46:39 AM »
The best thing about Pat, even to this day, is attitude. I like the song when it shows up on the radio but wouldn't go out of my way to hear it. When I saw Pat and Spyder last summer they mixed in a few minutes of Led Zeppelin Heartbreaker in the middle of this song which was pretty fun.
"Owners of dogs will have noticed that, if you provide them with food and water and shelter and affection, they will think you are God. Whereas owners of cats are compelled to realize that, if you provide them with food and water and affection, they draw the conclusion that they are God.” — Christopher Hitchens

Offline Orbert

• Recovering Musician
  • EZBoard Elder
  • In and around the lake
« Reply #1906 on: February 24, 2014, 10:08:06 AM »
That same 80's band I was in for a while had a girl singer for a while who could singer Benatar and even looked quite a bit like her.  Petite, short haircut, sassy attitude.  She was actually a primo bitch to work with, but man she could sing.  Anyway, we did a bunch of Benatar, including this one.  Fun stuff, high energy.

Offline Cool Chris

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1907 on: February 24, 2014, 10:23:28 AM »
Can't think of, or hear, this song without thinking of George Steinbrenner singing it.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YTcZ9THPX1E
"Nostalgia is just the ability to forget the things that sucked" - Nelson DeMille, 'Up Country'

Offline jjrock88

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1908 on: February 24, 2014, 11:20:16 AM »
Can't think of, or hear, this song without thinking of George Steinbrenner singing it.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YTcZ9THPX1E

Yup, Seinfeld comes to mind immediately for me too

Offline King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1909 on: February 24, 2014, 03:17:06 PM »
Very true.

Pat Benatar - Heartbreaker

Like Loverboy, Pat Benatar usually gets thought of as an 80s artist, but she also rocked pretty good early on and spun out a few classic rock staples.  Heartbreaker is one of those songs.  It never really did a lot for me, although I don't dislike it or anything; the hook is obvious and very catchy.  It just doesn't do much for me.

When I want my straightforward hard rockin' playlist this always makes the cut.  Her voice is so good live, it's criminal.
I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down'.” - Bob Newhart
So wait, we're spelling it wrong and king is spelling it right? What is going on here? :lol -- BlobVanDam

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #1910 on: February 24, 2014, 11:16:34 PM »
Aerosmith - Walk This Way

I don't remember the first time I heard this song, but I know it was at least a year or two after hearing the remake with Run-D.M.C..  Kind of funny that I had to get used to the original, since I was used to how it sounded in the newer version. :lol  But it's an obvious classic and a good rocking tune.  I also like the fact that they thought of the title for the song because of Igor's "walk this way" line in Young Frankenstein. :coolio

Offline bl5150

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1911 on: February 24, 2014, 11:21:16 PM »
I'm pretty sure I heard the Run DMC version first too.   I was always a bit of a casual fan of Aerosmith but I saw them live (twice) last year and am a bit more of a convert now.   Tyler's well into his 60's and I think it was some of the best live singing I've seen.
"I would just like to say that after all these years of heavy drinking, bright lights and late nights, I still don't need glasses. I drink right out of the bottle." - DLR

www.theguitardojo.com.au

Offline Orbert

• Recovering Musician
  • EZBoard Elder
  • In and around the lake
« Reply #1912 on: February 25, 2014, 07:00:54 AM »
Damn you guys, making me feel old again!

I of course grew up with the original version, which I never even thought of as rap at the time, because rap, at least in my white-boy, middle-class world, did not exist yet.  When the Run-DMC version came out, I thought "What the fuck is this?  They've taken an Aerosmith song and turned it into a rap song.   Wait a minute..."

I still don't like it though (edit: the Run-DMC version, that is).  To my ears, ghetto rap has a harsh arrogance about it that I just don't like.  Steven Tyler's original rendition has arrogance as well, but it's more of swagger, bragging about some cool shit he did back in high school.  Run-DMC's version sounds more like "Listen the fuck up!  This is what fucking went down, 'kay homey?"  Also, Steven Tyler's voice was already blown by time he and Joe Perry recorded their parts.  He already had over a dozen years of screaming "Walk This Way" and "Dream On" behind him, and his voice has never been the same.

The original, however, is a classic.  One of the only rap songs I actually like.
« Last Edit: February 25, 2014, 09:34:12 AM by Orbert »

Offline jingle.boy

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1913 on: February 25, 2014, 07:19:06 AM »
I too was first exposed to this track via the Run DMC mashup.  Dug it then, and it took a few years until I finally migrated out of pop/radio friendly music to real rock.  Not a huge Aerosmith fan (at least their 70s stuff)... have Perm Vaca, Pump and Get a Grip.  Three solid albums.  I do have Pandora's box, and go to it every couple of years.

Not their best 'known' song, but still enjoyable.

Offline Podaar

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1914 on: February 25, 2014, 08:26:10 AM »
Damn you guys, making me feel old again!

Talk about!

Due to my obsession with Aerosmith (album) and Get Your Wings I was a first day purchaser of Toys In The Attic so I was already intimately familiar with the song by the time it was released to radio. I remember telling the other kids on the middle-school bus when it was being played over the radio (yes our driver was that cool) to wait until 10 Inch Record was released.  Rocks is my favorite Aerosmith album but TITA is a close second largely because of this song! It's still fun to try and sing along with.  :lol
"Owners of dogs will have noticed that, if you provide them with food and water and shelter and affection, they will think you are God. Whereas owners of cats are compelled to realize that, if you provide them with food and water and affection, they draw the conclusion that they are God.” — Christopher Hitchens

Offline Orbert

• Recovering Musician
  • EZBoard Elder
  • In and around the lake
« Reply #1915 on: February 25, 2014, 09:44:31 AM »
Yeah, Rocks is pretty heavy-duty stuff, probably the closest they've come to straight-on Rock and Roll.  Most Aerosmith is a blend of blues and old-school R&B, with a heavy beat.  This is of course what ultimately evolved into Rock and Roll, but with Aerosmith, you can usually feel the R&B influence a lot more.

Your story reminded me of a story of my own (yes kids, this is what happens when fogeys get together -- deal with it).

In our junior high yearbook, in the back, you could purchase "dedications" to fellow classmates.  This helped fund the yearbooks themselves and was a fun way to add something personal.  Most people shouted out to their best friends, quoted song lyrics, etc.  One of the "popular" guys sent a dedication to a somewhat less-liked classmate: "Suck on my big 10 inch."  I couldn't believe that the yearbook adviser allowed it, but I'm sure the kid defended it by saying it was song lyrics, and they'd forgotten to stipulate that inappropriate dedications wouldn't be allowed.  So for $10 (or whatever it was), there it was for all eternity.

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #1916 on: February 25, 2014, 09:48:25 AM »
The somewhat less-liked classmate should have responded with a quote from AC/DC's Big Balls: "It's my belief that my big balls should be held every night."

Offline Orbert

• Recovering Musician
  • EZBoard Elder
  • In and around the lake
« Reply #1917 on: February 25, 2014, 09:53:22 AM »
That would've been cool, but the brilliance (such as it was) of the original play was that there was no opportunity for retaliation.  The yearbooks were published and handed out, and there it was.  It was brutal, a dick move by a popular guy who I never liked, but I had to admire it just the same.

Offline masterthes

« Reply #1918 on: February 25, 2014, 03:26:16 PM »
I likes both versions just fine, and Heartbreaker is probably my favorite Pat Benatar song

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #1919 on: February 26, 2014, 09:18:26 AM »
Ozzy Osbourne - You Can't Kill Rock and Roll

We were lucky in St. Louis, as this was a solo Ozzy song that got played a ton on the radio, as opposed to just the first two songs from Diary of a Madman (both of which are probably more well-known).  A definite classic, it is definitely a standout tracks in regards to Randy Rhoads' guitar-playing, since we get lots of both electric and classical guitar.  Great tune.

Offline Podaar

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1920 on: February 26, 2014, 09:39:44 AM »
This is actually my favorite song of Diary of a Madman which probably makes me a bit of a heretic. I love all of it, the mood, the playing the vocals and that Rhoads solo in the middle is just  :omg:

Oh, and for years I misheard the lyric, "And they don't really know even what they are talking about." as "And they don't even know even what they are talking about." That used to drive me crazy and then I found it was my poor comprehension!  :lol

Offline bl5150

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1921 on: February 26, 2014, 03:08:46 PM »
This is actually my favorite song of Diary of a Madman which probably makes me a bit of a heretic.

I reckon it'd be mine too along with S.A.T.O.

Randy  :hefdaddy
"I would just like to say that after all these years of heavy drinking, bright lights and late nights, I still don't need glasses. I drink right out of the bottle." - DLR

www.theguitardojo.com.au

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #1922 on: February 26, 2014, 03:14:23 PM »
Great choice Kev! Awesome tune. Awesome album.

Randy  :hefdaddy

YES!!
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
Winger Theater Forums........or WTF.  ;D
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Offline King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1923 on: February 26, 2014, 03:34:41 PM »
Aerosmith - Walk This Way

I don't remember the first time I heard this song, but I know it was at least a year or two after hearing the remake with Run-D.M.C..  Kind of funny that I had to get used to the original, since I was used to how it sounded in the newer version. :lol  But it's an obvious classic and a good rocking tune.  I also like the fact that they thought of the title for the song because of Igor's "walk this way" line in Young Frankenstein. :coolio

Great tune that was so damn overplayed I can never listen to it.

Ozzy Osbourne - You Can't Kill Rock and Roll

We were lucky in St. Louis, as this was a solo Ozzy song that got played a ton on the radio, as opposed to just the first two songs from Diary of a Madman (both of which are probably more well-known).  A definite classic, it is definitely a standout tracks in regards to Randy Rhoads' guitar-playing, since we get lots of both electric and classical guitar.  Great tune.

The whole album is awesome and this song is killer.  When the heavy guitar part comes in,  I want to headbang but I have no more hair to do so. :lol

Offline jjrock88

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1924 on: February 26, 2014, 05:16:12 PM »