Author Topic: Classic Rock Song of the Day (Deep Cuts now being featured!!)  (Read 161327 times)

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
Re: Classic Rock Song of the Day
« Reply #1295 on: June 18, 2013, 12:14:44 PM »
 :rollin :rollin

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #1296 on: June 19, 2013, 08:53:12 AM »
James Gang - Walk Away

I always liked this one.  It is fun and catchy.  Not much else to add here.

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #1297 on: June 19, 2013, 08:55:49 AM »
Triumph - Magic Power

Triumph is another one of those classic rock bands that is mostly well-known for their four classic rock radio mainstays, but they have dozens of great songs.  That aside, as this is not the time to go off on that tangent, Magic Power is a great song, and one of those aforementioned mainstays.  If you have ever listened to classic rock radio, you know this song.  It is catchy and rocking, while having a ton of staying power, all at the same time.  Great song by a great band! :coolio

A great track.

story...
:metal
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
Winger Theater Forums........or WTF.  ;D
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Offline Podaar

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1298 on: June 19, 2013, 08:58:23 AM »
James Gang - Walk Away

I always liked this one.  It is fun and catchy.  Not much else to add here.

The main riff by Joe Walsh is a true classic! I'd love it if a metal band did an updated cover of this song. It would be cool to hear the riff with a modern guitar production.

[EDIT] I just realized I'm a confused ol' man. The riff I was thinking of was for Funk #49 oops. So, yea, Walk Away is a great song! Stupid CMS is going to be the death of me
« Last Edit: June 19, 2013, 09:08:20 AM by Podaar »
"Owners of dogs will have noticed that, if you provide them with food and water and shelter and affection, they will think you are God. Whereas owners of cats are compelled to realize that, if you provide them with food and water and affection, they draw the conclusion that they are God.” — Christopher Hitchens

Offline Jaq

• Favorite song by Europe: Carrie.
« Reply #1299 on: June 19, 2013, 09:02:09 AM »
Not a song I am familiar with.  But anytime I hear his name, I can't help but think of this:

:rollin

That's all I would have said about that song, even though it did get played here fairly often.

Walk Away's AMAZING. That song said "hi, I'm Joe Walsh, and I'm a kick ass guitar player." In a very loud fashion.
The bones of beasts and the bones of kings become dust in the wake of the hymn.
Mighty kingdoms rise, but they all will fall, no more than a breath on the wind.

Offline Orbert

• Recovering Musician
  • EZBoard Elder
  • In and around the lake
« Reply #1300 on: June 19, 2013, 10:35:23 AM »
Joe Walsh is great.  We're currently learning "Rocky Mountain Way".  Fun stuff.

Joe always seemed to have a bit of southern rock to his sound, at least to me, but that didn't stop him for getting down and dirty, and rocking out when the time came.  Great guitarist.  Also, a crazy, funny guy.

Offline masterthes

« Reply #1301 on: June 19, 2013, 11:04:50 AM »
Definitely a great song

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #1302 on: June 20, 2013, 09:06:30 AM »
Speaking of the James Gang, I believe they were Drew Carey's band here:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BoEMzuU4fhA

Joe Walsh was actually pretty funny in the few episodes he was in.

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #1303 on: June 21, 2013, 09:49:05 AM »
Dust - From a Dry Camel

Very much of a classic in the obscure sense, I will be curious to see if anyone else knows this one.  This is a KSHE classic here in St. Louis, as it was played a lot back in the 70s, back when songs that long - 9:51 - would actually get regular radio air play.  I heard it on the classics show once like 15 years ago, and then a friend who loved the song and had it hooked me up with a copy of it.  Great tune.

Offline Jaq

« Reply #1304 on: June 21, 2013, 01:55:37 PM »
Dust!  :metal

No, this song didn't get played here, but I heard of these guys a few years back, and they're awesome. Kenny Aaronson was the bassist and Marky Ramone, under his real name, was the drummer. Both their albums were re-issued fairly recently, remastered, of course. The 70s were FULL of bands like this that did one or two albums, had some regional success, and then vanished. Really great band.
Mighty kingdoms rise, but they all will fall, no more than a breath on the wind.

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #1305 on: June 22, 2013, 08:49:49 AM »
Well, it's good to see that at least one person knew this band and this song. :lol

And I am not surprised that it was you, Jaq (I figured you or Orbert were safe bets). :hat

Offline Jaq

« Reply #1306 on: June 22, 2013, 11:29:05 AM »
 :lol

I have a deep fondness for relatively obscure 70s hard rock/early metal bands, especially American ones. Dust is especially interesting given how some of the members went on to greatness in vastly different areas. Got into them because I think Kenny Aaronson is a killer bassist.

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #1307 on: June 22, 2013, 11:51:31 AM »
Wow, I had no idea until just now that Kenny Aaronson played bass on two B.O.C. studio albums.  See, this is why I love these threads: you find out all kinds of new and interesting stuff. :coolio

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #1308 on: June 22, 2013, 12:18:57 PM »
Pat Travers - Boom Boom (Out Go the Lights)

I used to work with a guy who was nuts about Pat Travers, but while the few songs I know by him are okay, he never did much for me.  This is a fun song and all, but has never been one I have ever felt the urge to go out of my way to hear.

Offline Orbert

• Recovering Musician
  • EZBoard Elder
  • In and around the lake
« Reply #1309 on: June 22, 2013, 01:18:01 PM »
Same here.  Good song, but not enough to make me go buy the album or anything.

I did see Pat Travers once, opening for Aerosmith, and was surprised at how many of his songs I knew.  This was one that I recognized but didn't know was his.  He put on a good show.

Online jingle.boy

• I'm so ronery; so sad and ronery
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • DTF's resident deceased dictator
« Reply #1310 on: June 22, 2013, 02:08:47 PM »
Agree on all fronts.  Cool and fun tune.  Wouldn't change the station if it was on, but don't know anything else by him, nor do I feel a compelling need to go an change that.
That's a word salad - and take it from me, I know word salad
I fear for the day when something happens on the right that is SO nuts that even Stadler says "That's crazy".
Quote from: Puppies_On_Acid
Remember the mark of a great vocalist is if TAC hates them with a special passion

Offline Jaq

« Reply #1311 on: June 22, 2013, 02:17:49 PM »
It wasn't quite required listening in my circle of friends to own the Pat Travers live album this came off of...but man, it was pretty freaking CLOSE.  :lol Pat Travers is an amazing guitar player, and his band at the time had Pat Thrall in it, another amazing guitar player, and Tommy Aldridge was killing it on the drums on this album. Great song, great album. Gonna go play it right now.

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #1312 on: June 22, 2013, 10:50:43 PM »
ZZ Top - La Grange

This is, far and away, ZZ Top's most popular classic rock tune, and I can see why: it's a great song, it is pretty straight-forward and it rocks.  Billy Gibbons' playing in this song is simply awesome. :metal

Offline Unlegit

« Reply #1313 on: June 22, 2013, 10:52:25 PM »
Definitely my favorite ZZ Top song from their early days.  :tup

Online jingle.boy

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1314 on: June 23, 2013, 06:27:55 AM »
Dat riff.  Perfect combination of blues and rock.
I fear for the day when something happens on the right that is SO nuts that even Stadler says "That's crazy".
Remember the mark of a great vocalist is if TAC hates them with a special passion

Online jjrock88

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1315 on: June 23, 2013, 07:45:23 AM »
Dat riff.  Perfect combination of blues and rock.

Offline masterthes

« Reply #1316 on: June 23, 2013, 08:01:27 AM »
Awesome kick ass tune

Offline nicmos

• Having said that...
« Reply #1317 on: June 23, 2013, 08:22:39 AM »
Only ZZ Top song worth listening to.

Offline Jaq

« Reply #1318 on: June 23, 2013, 09:04:01 AM »
Funny how radio works things out. Back in the day, Tush was pretty much THE 70s ZZ Top song that got played, with La Grange thrown in for occasional variety. Nowadays Tush has largely vanished from local radio-it still gets played on occasion-while La Grange has become an every day standard.

A while back, I worked with my father as the assistant superintendent to his superintendent running construction projects. If you work construction for long enough, you will grow used to how construction crews, unless expressly forbidden, will bring radios to the job site to have something to listen to, and on this particular day, the local classic rock station was blaring, and La Grange got played. Around then, my dad yelled for me to go with him to the local Lowes to pick up some wood or whatnot. We were wandering the aisles and my dad remarked that they had a lot of nice things there. Back in the day, one of my most perpetually misheard lyrics was the line in La Grange that goes "they gotta lot of nice girls" as "they got a lot of nice things." Needless to say, the combination of having just heard the song and my dad inadvertently reminding me of that lyric mistake caused me to break into laughter, and then I had to explain why, which featured me mumble-singing the line in question.

For the rest of that job-several months-my dad would out of the blue just look at something and mumble, ZZ Top style, "they got a lot of nice things there." It wound up becoming a code for a subcontractor that was utterly terrible, to boot-Dad would see a crew do something terrible, and out would come the lyric- so my misheard lyric wound up, after about 25 years, having some worth!

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #1319 on: June 23, 2013, 09:21:56 AM »
 :lol :lol

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #1320 on: June 23, 2013, 09:31:49 AM »
Norman Greenbaum - Spirit in the Sky

This is another one of those songs that if you listen to classic rock radio at all, you know it.  Many probably have no clue who it is by, but they know it, nonetheless.  It's a good song.  Never a favorite, but pretty enjoyable.

Offline Orbert

• Recovering Musician
  • EZBoard Elder
  • In and around the lake
« Reply #1321 on: June 23, 2013, 03:07:45 PM »
La Grange

Love this one.  I love the riff, the low voice that suits it so well, and especially the fact that the song, like so many ZZ Top songs, is just an excuse for a jam.  There's just the one verse.  It goes into a jam, it comes back, and you think it's gonna go into a second verse, but no, it goes off into another jam, and it never does come back.  Ha!

Spirit in the Sky

Great song.  We've played this one in church a couple of times.  I love those late 60's, early 70's songs that were blatantly religious, but people were too stoned to pay attention, or didn't care, or maybe it all worked anyway because it was a simpler time and most of the listening audience was Christian anyway.  We did "Morning Has Broken" today, and it's a hymn straight out of the hymnal, and Cat Stevens had a Top 10 hit with it  (although Rick Wakeman's famous arrangement and contributions on piano probably helped).

Offline masterthes

« Reply #1322 on: June 23, 2013, 04:36:40 PM »
That guitar riff. Great one hit wonder

And as far as ZZ Top, my classic radio stations play Cheap Sunglasses a lot

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #1323 on: June 24, 2013, 08:44:07 AM »
Jethro Tull - Teacher

A classic rock mainstay, this was always a song I enjoyed a lot in my early classic rock-listening days.  As I got to know more of Tull's material over the years, this song kind of moved down on my list of favorites, but every time I hear it, it still sounds pretty great, so, yeah.

Offline Orbert

• Recovering Musician
  • EZBoard Elder
  • In and around the lake
« Reply #1324 on: June 24, 2013, 10:20:29 AM »
I've always loved this one, still do.  The verses have a slow build, and once the chorus breaks loose, it's awesome.

♫♫ Hey man, what's the plan? What was that you sa-a-id?

Offline Jaq

« Reply #1325 on: June 24, 2013, 10:47:01 AM »
This thread has made me realize, once again, how much classic rock radio around here sucks. Time was Teacher and half a dozen other Tull songs, including the abbreviated version of Thick As A Brick, got airplay here. Now? Aqualung, Locomotive Breath, and on odd occasions Bungle In The Jungle. And not all that often. Tull's been shoved aside by a lot of other bands on the radio here, which well and truly sucks.

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #1326 on: June 24, 2013, 12:01:28 PM »
I think a lot of classic rock stations are now playing some 80s and early 90s stuff, since that material is old enough to now be considered classic rock I guess, so bands like Tull are likely seeing their 2nd tier classics fall by the wayside as far as airplay goes.

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #1327 on: June 25, 2013, 12:01:35 PM »
Blues Image - Ride Captain Ride

Pretty good song.  Very much of a classic rock mainstay, probably because that hook in the chorus is very memorable.  The rest of the song is rather average, but that hook is very good.  Similar to Get Together in that regard.

Online jingle.boy

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1328 on: June 25, 2013, 12:08:25 PM »
Good meat-and-potatoes rockin tune.  However, from a few years ago, I will always think of Shat's entrance (on a horse) to this song for his Comedy Central Roast when I hear this song.

Online El Barto

• Rascal Atheistic Pig
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Bad Craziness
« Reply #1329 on: June 25, 2013, 12:10:34 PM »
Jethro Tull - Teacher

A classic rock mainstay, this was always a song I enjoyed a lot in my early classic rock-listening days.  As I got to know more of Tull's material over the years, this song kind of moved down on my list of favorites, but every time I hear it, it still sounds pretty great, so, yeah.
IIRC, Ian Anderson really despised that song.
Argument, the presentation of reasonable views, never makes headway against conviction, and conviction takes no part in argument because it knows.
E.F. Benson