Author Topic: 2012-08-19/20 - Luna Park - Buenos Aires, ARG (being filmed for DVD)  (Read 128061 times)

Offline wasteland

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Jay Beckenstein was in Spyro Gyra, right?
Re: 2012-08-19/20 - Luna Park - Buenos Aires, ARG (being filmed for DVD)
« Reply #385 on: August 20, 2012, 02:31:07 AM »
I think it would be really cool if TROAE was the encore for tomorrow, and they can use the ending they made for the 2012 European leg. It would be like closing the show with Octavarium since it is after all, a reprise of the main theme, and is really grandoise.

Or they could just cut off the bull's head and play Octavarium  :lol
:slayer: Somewhere, over the wasteland..... bootlegs fly :slayer:
MoraWintersoul is the BEST person.
- Marco

Offline Sketchy

• DTF.org Member
  • More tea is required.
« Reply #386 on: August 20, 2012, 02:51:16 AM »
JM's Solar Groove w/ Strings please.
This is as exciting as superluminal neutrinos. The sexy thing is that this actually exists :D

Offline MoraWintersoul

• Gloom Cookie
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • welcome to the wasteland
« Reply #387 on: August 20, 2012, 02:54:25 AM »
 :lol

Don't try to BS her about Kevin Moore facts, she will obscure quote you in the face.

type : mora : and delete the spaces for a surprise

Offline Sketchy

• DTF.org Member
  • More tea is required.
« Reply #388 on: August 20, 2012, 02:56:49 AM »
It's an amazing solo piece. I wish it appeared in an actual DT thing, not just the bass instructional video.
This is as exciting as superluminal neutrinos. The sexy thing is that this actually exists :D

Online Zydar

• Creep With Tonality
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #389 on: August 20, 2012, 02:57:05 AM »
Maybe a Canadian tackle, a revenge on JMX.
Zydar is my new hero.  I just laughed so hard I nearly shat.

Offline Sketchy

• DTF.org Member
  • More tea is required.
« Reply #390 on: August 20, 2012, 02:58:46 AM »
Jordan endering on a zipwire.

Offline wasteland

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #391 on: August 20, 2012, 03:02:41 AM »
JM's Solar Groove w/ Strings please.

The pure thought of JM standing alone on the dead center of the stage causes my brain to overflow.
- Marco

Offline MoraWintersoul

• Gloom Cookie
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #392 on: August 20, 2012, 03:14:09 AM »
It's too much, true.

Don't try to BS her about Kevin Moore facts, she will obscure quote you in the face.

Offline Sketchy

• DTF.org Member
  • More tea is required.
« Reply #393 on: August 20, 2012, 03:15:01 AM »
Well, yeah. That's why I added strings, so the epic wouldn't be quite at lethal levels anymore.

Offline Naikon

« Reply #394 on: August 20, 2012, 03:23:55 AM »
Wow, this thread went from almost 30 pages to 12?

Offline Gunnersthebest

« Reply #395 on: August 20, 2012, 03:32:59 AM »
*snip!*

« Last Edit: August 20, 2012, 08:25:18 AM by bosk1 »

Offline Dekost

« Reply #396 on: August 20, 2012, 03:34:32 AM »
Edited
« Last Edit: August 20, 2012, 05:18:04 AM by Dekost »

Offline wasteland

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #397 on: August 20, 2012, 03:35:06 AM »
ETA: You'd better take down those link, it's forbidden to post material from this show!

Well, yeah. That's why I added strings, so the epic wouldn't be quite at lethal levels anymore.

Wild Myung uses "Keep it spooky".
The audience is confused.
The audience tries to pogo. It hurts itself in its confusion.
Wild Myung uses "Keep it quiet".
The casual audience underestimates wild Myung.
Wild Myung uses Solar Groove.
A Critical Hit! It's supereffective!  :D
The audience fainted.
- Marco

Offline Sketchy

• DTF.org Member
  • More tea is required.
« Reply #398 on: August 20, 2012, 03:38:03 AM »
I always thought JMX would be Ghost/Dark. Nothing's super-effective against him.

Offline Jinx

• The Unicyclist's #1 fan!
  • Shaaaamaan take my haaaannd!!
« Reply #399 on: August 20, 2012, 03:42:36 AM »
Yeah I know a lot of people were nervous about a loud crowd hampering the recording of the DVD. From that vid I dont think theres anything to worry about  ???

Offline Stonestef

« Reply #400 on: August 20, 2012, 04:05:51 AM »
Oh come on people, they've been playing this setlist for so long that there's not a chance of making mistakes any more. Do you really think that they would replace them and take a risk with songs they've never played live before? The DVD will be a document of the band's situation at this point in time, they want it to be flawless, they don't worry (and don't have to) if you know that the setlists have been the same. It's not like you've been to every gig. Also, there is a big part of the world that hasn't been to a DT concert supporting ADTOE. The only song we've heard live in Greece is OTBOA! I don't care if I know the setlist for the past few months.

Also, some of you misinterpreted what MM said about the long sound check. It's not because they wanted to rehearse ultra super mega rare songs. They wouldn't do it on the day of the shooting, they would it for the past few months. But guess what they did the past few months: they were playing the songs that will be on the DVD. The long sound check is because there is a DVD shooting and they have to be sure everything is ok.

I think I read yesterday on a thread that DT said there would be no surprises on the setlist. Why is everyone saying that they had announced surprises on the setlist? The only thing I remember them saying about surprises is for the whole DVD, not for the concert part of the DVD.

Offline MoraWintersoul

• Gloom Cookie
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #401 on: August 20, 2012, 04:29:25 AM »
The only thing I remember them saying about surprises is for the whole DVD, not for the concert part of the DVD.
I mostly disagree with your other points but this one is pretty close to what I had in mind this morning. However, the "whole DVD" does include the "concert part" by definition.

Offline robwebster

« Reply #402 on: August 20, 2012, 04:36:40 AM »
Oh it's cool. I don't mind weird goofy stuff like that.

And on War Inside My Head.........I dunno that actually seemed like JP. And I wouldn't be surprised if he were singing them live.
Yep, I thought that sounded like Petrucci. Backing tracks on Test, though - presumably because it's a tricky vocal part over a tricky guitar part. There's a Spirit Carries On vocal demo out there that would vouch that John's, er, not got good form for falsetto.

Petrucci, that is. Myung's falsetto is exquisite.

Not particularly galvanised by last night's setlist, but I'm excited about the DVD. So far we know we're getting good, high-quality live footage of songs like 6:00, The Dark Eternal Night, The Root of All Evil (presumably with that outro), A Fortune in Lies, and a full 100% of the new album. That's pretty darned cool.

The Spirit Carries On... bleh, but it is kind of the flagship song of their current "era." It's what they called the drummer doc, I'm not at all surprised they brought it back out. Hoping tomorrow for These Walls at the very least - we need footage of These Walls - and the remaining two songs from Dramatic Turn. Anything else is a bonus. Caught in a Web would be cool.

Again, enormously unlikely, and I broadly tend to agree with Stonestef. The main thing they're trying to chronicle is this (really cool!) tour, but I wonder if they might play all three songs from the drummer doc..? Because A Nightmare to Remember would be welcome. It's my least favourite Dream Theater album, but it's still decent, I'd still like to see just a sliver of it. Toss in Wither - that'd do!

Offline nikatapi

« Reply #403 on: August 20, 2012, 04:41:03 AM »
Completely agree with you robwebster about These Walls, i really hope they include this, just imagine the epic ending with the powerful Argentinian crowd participating!

Offline robwebster

« Reply #404 on: August 20, 2012, 04:51:57 AM »
Yeah - it'd be great, wouldn't it?! That said, I don't think we'll need to wish very hard for this one. Chances are if they're not doing the alternate set, they'll be doing a modified version of it, so I'd expect to see it either way. Still! You never know. Fingers crossed.

Offline MoraWintersoul

• Gloom Cookie
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #405 on: August 20, 2012, 05:03:08 AM »
These Walls rocks.

Offline hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
« Reply #406 on: August 20, 2012, 06:19:02 AM »
Not sure why everyone got on Adami's case.  He is as entitled to his opinion as everyone else.  No reason for others to try to make him feel bad about his honest opinions.

And hopefully, WIMY/TTTSTA and TSCO get cut from the DVD.
Hef is right on all things. Except for when I disagree with him. In which case he's probably still right.

Offline Cedar redaC

• DTF.org Member
  • Streams of Light Unite With Water
« Reply #407 on: August 20, 2012, 06:41:31 AM »
This just in: James LaBrie/John Myung solos tomorrow night. Haven't heard much yet, aside from the word "scat" being thrown around.
:rollin

I can just imagine it, James doing something to the effect of Clark Terry's "Mumbles"

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eJuFDvH8wGs
Imagine DT playing this song  :rollin :rollin :rollin :rollin :rollin

We're finally gonna get that version of "Learning to Live" we've all been waiting for:

*learning to live with scat*

And then James ends the set with "but you know what? If I keep talkin' like this, I'm certain to get elected."
Perhaps you should ask bosk to reverse the "e" and "a" in the second half of your user name.
Cedar redaC swoops in for the kill!

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #408 on: August 20, 2012, 07:47:51 AM »
Not sure why everyone got on Adami's case.  He is as entitled to his opinion as everyone else.  No reason for others to try to make him feel bad about his honest opinions.

And hopefully, WIMY/TTTSTA and TSCO get cut from the DVD.

Regarding Adami, I am guessing because he has repeated it like 741 times over the last two months. :lol :biggrin:

And I hope those two don't get cut.  From the one clip from a few months ago, the light show looks pretty crazy during WIMY/Test, and The Spirit Carries On is too iconic for it to be one of the songs they omit from these shows.  Them not playing it is one thing, but playing it and then it being one of the few they don't include on the DVD/Blu-Ray would seem weird.

Offline Perpetual Change

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #409 on: August 20, 2012, 08:03:57 AM »
As I posted above, I'm just really hoping we get a rarity like "To Live Forever". Yeah, it's on two DVDs already, but it's also on DT's greatest hit album, and it has the potential to be an iconic song for them. I even think it'd make a good closer. Just imagine JP's clean guitar intro coming in during an encore, right after the band have come back on, and then played with the jam, and ending with JLB thanking everyone and waving "good night" after the last climactic "to live forever" as the crowd is going nuts. I think it'd work.

As for Adami, I did kinda poke fun at his disappointment. But it was all in jest, hence the subsequent liberal use of nuggets. In line with what Kev said, at first I was more responding to what I perceived as a general disappointment from various posters, but when I got back to my room (where, unlike the phone I was using from the school, I can see peoples avatars/signatures) I realized it was just one guy voicing an opinion multiple times :P

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
« Reply #410 on: August 20, 2012, 08:09:19 AM »
they said that there would be a lot of surprises/crazy stuff

They said there would be a lot of surprises for the Blu Ray, not necessarily the show itself.  I wouldn't expect them to go totally nuts with the set list.  Just from the standard set lists this tour, we are getting a pretty amazing collection of songs.  I know it's easy to forget that when we've been here on the Internet seeing the sets posted after every show.  But we really are getting a tremendous set of material even if they don't change a thing (and, honestly, why WOULD they change it up?).  That said, while I wouldn't expect them to go nuts and deviate too far from what has been done, I would guess there will still be a surprise or two in tonight's set. 

The Spirit Carries On... bleh, but it is kind of the flagship song of their current "era." It's what they called the drummer doc, I'm not at all surprised they brought it back out.

From seeing them twice on this tour, I can tell you that it also gets a tremendous crowd reaction, and JP, James, and Jordan are incredibly jazzed about playing it each night. After the last SF show, Yesh commented to James backstage about the crowd reaction, and James' face just lit up and he started going on about how he just soaks in the crowd reaction each time they play it.  It truly has become a concert staple that the band really feels creates a bond between them and the fans when they play it.  So there's literally no way it wasn't going to be included on the DVD.  To the band, it's much more than "just another song" to fill a spot in the set list.  They truly view it as a very special song and one of the high points in their shows (and for those at the shows, it really is, which we tend to forget when we're, again, looking at set lists on the Internet and seeings songs on there that we've listened to so many times that we forget the emotional impact they can have in a live setting). 
"The Supreme Court of the United States has descended from the disciplined legal reasoning of John Marshall and Joseph Story to the mystical aphorisms of the fortune cookie."

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #411 on: August 20, 2012, 08:21:16 AM »

The Spirit Carries On... bleh, but it is kind of the flagship song of their current "era." It's what they called the drummer doc, I'm not at all surprised they brought it back out.

From seeing them twice on this tour, I can tell you that it also gets a tremendous crowd reaction, and JP, James, and Jordan are incredibly jazzed about playing it each night. After the last SF show, Yesh commented to James backstage about the crowd reaction, and James' face just lit up and he started going on about how he just soaks in the crowd reaction each time they play it.  It truly has become a concert staple that the band really feels creates a bond between them and the fans when they play it.  So there's literally no way it wasn't going to be included on the DVD.  To the band, it's much more than "just another song" to fill a spot in the set list.  They truly view it as a very special song and one of the high points in their shows (and for those at the shows, it really is, which we tend to forget when we're, again, looking at set lists on the Internet and seeings songs on there that we've listened to so many times that we forget the emotional impact they can have in a live setting).

Exactly.  I should be surprised that some fans don't get this...but I'm not.

Offline TheKillingHand

« Reply #412 on: August 20, 2012, 08:24:47 AM »
It would be great if they brought back a couple of the songs from the first leg they did with Mangini....Learning To Live and Fatal Tragedy. They haven't been on a dvd since Live Scenes.

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
« Reply #413 on: August 20, 2012, 08:29:29 AM »
*snip!*

I know we're pretty liberal in allowing links to video and audio from shows.  But just as a reminder:  We do NOT allow any bootleg material whatsoever from shows that are planned for an official label or Ytsejam release.  Please do not post them.  Obviously, we can't stop them from being posted on YouTube, but just because something is on YouTube doesn't mean it's fair game.  I know we're all excited about these shows and want to get a "sneak peek" at what we'll be seeing on the DVD, but just be patient.  Thanks.
« Last Edit: August 20, 2012, 10:27:30 AM by bosk1 »
"The Supreme Court of the United States has descended from the disciplined legal reasoning of John Marshall and Joseph Story to the mystical aphorisms of the fortune cookie."

Offline Nekov

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #414 on: August 20, 2012, 08:40:26 AM »
Ok guys, some thoughts about last night show. I'll try to address all your questions

JLB: As everyone has previously said he is back in his prime. There was a little problem with the sound and on some points he got lost behind JR and JP. He was very active on the stage, he talked to the crowd a lot, he pushed us to cheer for them every time and interacted a lot with the rest of the guys. At one point he almost bumps against JP but he didn't.
I almost forgot, after 6:00 Labrie started giving a speech about filming the DVD and whatnot and he said that people in there should enjoy the show and tell everyone else about it later. I felt a little bad posting the updates after that.

JM: He was JM.

JR: He was great, he cheered with the crowd a lot, he played a hell of a solo and seemed very happy throughout the show.

JP: He is truly the guitar god. He was fantastic all the show and did not overplay every solo as I had seen from him the last 2 shows I attended. He also interacted a lot with the crowd and with JLB.

MM: I must say I was surprised my the genie, when I heard that he was playing a drum solo I wasn't very pumped because I thought it was going to be some super technical and fast stuff but contrary to that his solo was very melodic and ended up with Neil Pearts solo where he crosses hands playing at an insane speed.
He was also very cheerful with the crowd and smiled a lot. The only thing against him was that he overplayed surrounded and killed the beautiful mood a bit.

The crowd: It was not as great as I thought it would be but whenever we got the classics, TSCO, Metropolis, Surrounded the crowd was very loud. Other than that I think it was just normal.

TTTSTA: The vocals were recorded.

War inside my head: JP did the backing vocals but I'm pretty sure that there was also a recording.

String quartet: This part was beautiful and kind of special since they were local musicians, I would have gone on stage and kissed JP and JLB if I could (no homo)

Pic of me yesterday (low quality)  :-\

When Ginobili gets hot, I get hot in my pants. 

Offline MoraWintersoul

• Gloom Cookie
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #415 on: August 20, 2012, 08:48:51 AM »
Great update! Thanks a bunch for taking the time to inform us and stuff, you're the best. If we ever meet, you get a bear hug from me.

Also, put a smile on that face!

Online Zydar

• Creep With Tonality
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #416 on: August 20, 2012, 08:51:39 AM »
Thanks for your efforts Nekov :tup
Zydar is my new hero.  I just laughed so hard I nearly shat.

Offline Nekov

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #417 on: August 20, 2012, 09:00:13 AM »
Great update! Thanks a bunch for taking the time to inform us and stuff, you're the best. If we ever meet, you get a bear hug from me.

Also, put a smile on that face!

I'll smile if I get more than a bear hug  ;)

You're welcome guys. More to come tonight  :)
When Ginobili gets hot, I get hot in my pants. 

Offline Gunnersthebest

« Reply #418 on: August 20, 2012, 09:24:49 AM »
*snip!*

I know we're pretty liberal in allowing links to video and audio from shows.  But just as a reminder:  We do NOT allow any bootleg material whatsoever from shows that are planned for an official label or Ytsejam release.  Please do not post them.  Obviously, we can't stop them from being posted on YouTube, but just because something is on YouTube doesn't mean it's fair game.  I know we're all excited about these shows and want to get a "sneak peek" at what we'll be seeing on the DVD, but just be patient.  Thanks.

I truly am sorry about that. I joined the forum not long ago, so I'm not familiar with all the rules yet. Thanks again for the prescription!  ;D

Offline ResultsMayVary

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Go Buckeyes!
« Reply #419 on: August 20, 2012, 09:31:34 AM »
I think it would be really cool if TROAE was the encore for tomorrow, and they can use the ending they made for the 2012 European leg. It would be like closing the show with Octavarium since it is after all, a reprise of the main theme, and is really grandoise.

Or they could just cut off the bull's head and play Octavarium  :lol
I second this. They should play Octavarium tonight.
Where would YOU be without prog?!
I'd be standing somewhere with dignity, respect, and bitches.
When Mike and Mob Unite, featuring the hit A Lawsuit in Lies