Author Topic: Jingle Boy's Roulette v. drum rolll... pass the envelope please.  (Read 94057 times)

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
Re: Jingle Boy's Roulette v. you wanted Round 2 results?
« Reply #385 on: May 20, 2012, 08:34:53 PM »
You guys are some pushy bastards! Give the man a chance.  :lol
Everyone else, except Wolfking is wrong.

Online jingle.boy

• I'm so ronery; so sad and ronery
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • DTF's resident deceased dictator
« Reply #386 on: May 20, 2012, 08:40:07 PM »
Let's see if you can get them done before I clock out.

What time do you clock out?  They'll definitely be done before you go down for shut eye.

Sorry Diego... hope you slept well.  Just writing them up now - 30-40 minutes.
That's a word salad - and take it from me, I know word salad
I fear for the day when something happens on the right that is SO nuts that even Stadler says "That's crazy".
Quote from: Puppies_On_Acid
Remember the mark of a great vocalist is if TAC hates them with a special passion

Online jingle.boy

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #387 on: May 20, 2012, 09:24:24 PM »
Round 3 Results.  Most solid round so far.  Best song was easy to identify, as was the least best.  Everything in between was all very good, and very hard to rank. 

Lonestar:  Mandroid Echostar - Kingdom of the Crown
Getting heavy on me.  Some quality technical prog-metal here.  Excellent vocal performance.  The band puts together seamless time and key signature changes.  Damn fine.  Very talented bunch here.  Technically stunning… reminded me of Eumeria in that regard.  The only knock is that sometimes the technical brilliance is there just because they can, not because it makes sense, or fits appropriately. The last 90 seconds were chubby inducing though. 
Ranking: 3

JJ:  Black Sabbath – Headless Cross
Very good track.  Absolutely nothing wrong with it, but nothing stood out for me.  Unfortunately, in this round with this group, that puts it in the bottom of the pack.
Ranking: 5

King: Presto Ballet – One Tragedy at a Time
Finally!  This is the kind of stuff I've been waiting for and expecting from you.  What an amazing instrumental opening.  Rivals anything Spock's Beard has ever done.  A whole smorgasborg of great sounds coming at me.  14 minutes went by just like that *snap*.  That atmospheric out-take in the middle was dreamy, and the instrumental exit from it.  Song of the round here.   :hefdaddy
Ranking: 1

Zydar: Hellfueled – Let Me Out
No shit it's Ozzy/Wylde - You could've changed the meta-tags on the file to say so, and I would have NEVER known.  I was never a huge fan of Ozzy though.  Some crazy guitar licks and squeals.  Even has that Ozzy vocal feel of being hollow and echoing.  This was very nice.  Doesn't matter that I'm not normally being an Ozzy fan, I REALLY liked this one.  While the guitar work wasn't the best this round (Coz get's that award), the overall package was the most rockin one.  :2metal:
Ranking: 1

Nekov:  Von Hertzen Brothers - Faded Photographs
meh... can't put my finger on it, but it wasn't very memorable on first listen.  Decent though.  This is why you listen more than once - 2nd listen was much better than the first.  Had a nice Frost*(y) feel to it. This really got better with every listen.  Comparatively speaking though, it was missing a great hook, or a great solo, or a great melody… It was solid all around, just missing that “great” factor.
Ranking: 4

Spidey: Ozric Tentacles - Lost in the Sky
Geez, got something against vocals?  A little too ... dunno, is that genre labeled "post" something?  Got funky in the middle, and not in a good way.  In the way that some leftovers were forgotten in the back of the fridge for 7-8 weeks.  Some good, mostly not though… by and large, weird.  Some elements in the middle took my mind back to this.  Nothing wrong with it I guess, but there was nothing right with it either.  I think you also lost points because, when I checked them out to see what kind of genre they are, there was a mention of "dub", which is one mention too many.
Ranking: 5

Doc:  The Tangent – In Darkest Dreams
Bookends were great.  Keyboard starts like the greats of the 70s – Emerson, Wakeman, Wright etc... Some of the segments in the middle were a little experimental and wonky (Exhibit A - piano solo sounded like it was created by a 5 year old).  Felt like early 70s Jethro Tull got time-warped into 2012 and made some music - Exhibit B - flute and sax work on more than one occasion.  This has lasting value.  Overall though, there were some weak parts that kept it in the middle of the pack this round.
Ranking: 3

Obscure: Shaman – Over Your Head
You chose wisely this round Lady.  More Prog-metal here. More simple and straight-forward in the prog-metal ness of this song vs the Chefs submission (I only compare as I first listened to them back-to-back).  Very nice vocal screams - screams, not growls.  Killer instrumental wanking section – especially the keyboards, great outro too.   Loved it long time.  Have always like Matos’ voice, need to check more of him out.
Ranking: 2

Coz: Paul Gilbert – Bliss
Mind blowing axe work, but would you expect anything less from Gilbert? His vocals weren't nearly as cringe-worthy as I was expecting.  In fact they were pretty decent. Simple, but decent.  It was good that he didn't try to do anything more than he was capable of (vocally).  On the axe, he's capable of anything, and showed it here.  Great main riff.  Tough round though, lots of stuff had a more complete package.  This re-affirms that I should get more Gilbert in my library.  Better vocals, this would’ve ranked higher.
Ranking: 4

Wolf: Vanishing Point – Closer Apart
Eventually, you'll run out of Aussie bands to use!  Until then, keep sending me this great shit coming from down under.  Another excellent track.  I'd heard a bit of VP before (I recall Mason using them in a Roulette I was in with him).  Excellent prog-rock here ... not nearly as heavy as some of the other tracks this round.  Can't say anything bad about this one.  You brought it again this round.  Vocals were calm, cool and collected.  Very soothing.  Great guitar melodies and solo.  Not too flashy, just simple and very appealing in that regard.  The unison outro was very nice.
Ranking: 2

Rankings:
Total   Playa
5   The Koala
8   The Skipper
8   The DJ
8   The Viking
9   The Guitar Hero
9   The Quack
10 The Tarantula
11 The Blue Bomber
11 The Maradona
11 The Monarch

Side competition standings in a later post.
I fear for the day when something happens on the right that is SO nuts that even Stadler says "That's crazy".
Remember the mark of a great vocalist is if TAC hates them with a special passion

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
Glad you liked it, I thought it would appeal to you.  I have a few more good Aussie bands though  :lol  Hellfuelled are a great band too, love their first two albums a lot.  I have to check Presto Ballet.

I think I have a feeling I might lose my lead in the next round, I'm quite stuck at the moment with this guilty pleasure round.  Chad in your side competition post, can you possibly give us a little more info on what you'd like to see come the next round?

Online jingle.boy

• DTF.org Alumni
More than my pre-amble earlier?  Not sure what more I can say.

Ok, since you're in a planning mood, here's my Round 4 pre-amble.

This is going to be the most restrictive of all the rounds.  We all have that song, artist or album that is a complete departure from our usual tastes.  As an example, for me there are quite a few songs by Celine Dion that I dig.  Send me something that will make me think "Wow, wasn't expecting you'd like *that*" - either because of the band, style or whatever.  I will completely suspend all judgments of said band, style, genre etc that I have.  Send me rap, send me kids songs, send me anything that you dig that is out of the norm for you.  It still has to be a decent tune though!  However, if it's something you really dig, I'll respect that first, put my own (potential) discrimination aside, and listen with a completely open mind.  It is likely to be hit-or-miss this round, so the America vs International competition will be temporarily suspended.

Send something that's out of the norm for you're usual tastes.  Something you normally wouldn't even admit you like.  I gave one of mine earlier.

Here's another.  https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=diYAc7gB-0A

Can't even blame that one on my childhood when I only knew pop music.  Could have something to do with the video though.

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
Sorry mate, must have missed that.  Alright, got some thinking to do tonight.  :justjen

Online jingle.boy

• DTF.org Alumni
Side competition is heating up. 

Lonestar v jj
Winner: Lonestar 2UP
King v Zydar
Winner: Halved
Nekov v Spidey
Winner: Nekov 1UP
Doc v obscure
Winner: obscure 1UP
Wolf vs Coz
Winner: Wolf 2UP

Interesting results… jj, Spidey and King are all feast or famine.  Zydar and King are both robbed of a victory this round cuz they faced each other.  Doc gets screwed a second round in a row by going up against someone who submits something just a little bit better than his.  And Wolf hands coz his first loss. 

By wins (13 wins the competition)
Team America - 6
Team ROW - 9

By Ranking points (lower is better)
Team America - 48
Team ROW - 42
(second round in a row each team tied with 15 points)

Offline obscure

• Properly Silly
  • DTF.org Alumni
congrats Zydar & King

joe... what the fuck was that????  :omg:

Offline lonestar

• DTF Executive Chef
  • Official DTF Tour Guide
  • Silly Hatted Knife Chucker
Cool, standing in second place, that's a brand spanking new band I sent yuou, only one EP released, fucking beastly though, lots of promise.  If my chance I took in the next round pays off, I could be sitting pretty.

Offline Zydar

• Creep With Tonality
  • DTF.org Alumni
Wohoo! I knew you were going to like that one :metal
Zydar is my new hero.  I just laughed so hard I nearly shat.

Offline Dr. DTVT

• DTF's resident Mad Scientist
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • What's your favorite planet? Mine's the Sun!
Your title is wrong.  He's not out of the basement, he's sharing the basement.  More gimps for j.b!

Online King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Take that Beethoven, you deaf bastard!!
congrats Zydar & King

joe... what the fuck was that????  :omg:

Gimp not sure.  I'll go back to my gimp 2 bedroom apartment. :lol

Glad you loved the song but I am afraid of the next round.  RJ.  I might have to change what song I am using.  I'm not sure he'll like it.
I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down'.” - Bob Newhart
So wait, we're spelling it wrong and king is spelling it right? What is going on here? :lol -- BlobVanDam
"Oh, I am definitely a jackass!" - TAC

Offline Nekov

• DTF.org Alumni
 :'(

I'm sucking in this roulette.

Sent guilty pleasure.
When Ginobili gets hot, I get hot in my pants. 

Offline Zydar

• Creep With Tonality
  • DTF.org Alumni
I have no idea what to send for Round 4. I'll have to scour my hard drive tonight for some guilty pleasures.

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
The next round could go either way.  I have no idea what to send.  It's hard to find something that I think Chad wouldn't know.

Offline Lowdz

ooh, I'm really liking that Presto Ballet. A quick trip to YouTube has now meant a quick trip to Amazon. Very nice.

Online jingle.boy

• DTF.org Alumni
Title is just fine.  Gimp is out of the basement for Round 3.

Diego.. your songs don't suck dude, I've liked them plenty.  If I was ranking them out of 10, they'd be solid 7s.  I'm liking them, just happen to be liking others a bit more.  This is a tough group, who all know what floats my boat.

You wanna see sucking, take a look where I am in Jirpo's roulette.  That's one big honk on bobo.

folks... judgment will come no later than Thursday evening.

Offline Lowdz

Liking the Mandroid Echostar too. Never heard of them before but like what I hear. now to track down the album.

Online jingle.boy

• DTF.org Alumni
Cool to know others are following. 

BTW Lowdz... I really wanted to include you in this too, but given the structure of how I'm running it, had to stop at 10.  You were a tough one to leave out.

Online King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
Chad, not that I'm using them but is there any buzz about I Mother Earth getting back together and the new song up in Canada?
I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down'.” - Bob Newhart
So wait, we're spelling it wrong and king is spelling it right? What is going on here? :lol -- BlobVanDam

Online jingle.boy

• DTF.org Alumni
Not on any media outlets I pay attention to.

Offline Nekov

• DTF.org Alumni
Title is just fine.  Gimp is out of the basement for Round 3.

Diego.. your songs don't suck dude, I've liked them plenty.  If I was ranking them out of 10, they'd be solid 7s.  I'm liking them, just happen to be liking others a bit more.  This is a tough group, who all know what floats my boat.

You wanna see sucking, take a look where I am in Jirpo's roulette.  That's one big honk on bobo.

folks... judgment will come no later than Thursday evening.

Thanks. Still, I'm second to last so....
When Ginobili gets hot, I get hot in my pants. 

Offline Lowdz

Cool to know others are following. 

BTW Lowdz... I really wanted to include you in this too, but given the structure of how I'm running it, had to stop at 10.  You were a tough one to leave out.

Good to know. Thanks.

Offline lonestar

• DTF Executive Chef
Liking the Mandroid Echostar too. Never heard of them before but like what I hear. now to track down the album.

It's a name your own price download on Bandcamp.

Offline Zydar

• Creep With Tonality
  • DTF.org Alumni
Song sent :P

Offline Dr. DTVT

• DTF's resident Mad Scientist
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • What's your favorite planet? Mine's the Sun!
You already know my "guilty pleasure", even though I'm proud to say I like them.  I just recall you saying you don't care for them.

Offline obscure

• Properly Silly
  • DTF.org Alumni
if you're proud... that doesn't count..... it has to be a GUILTY pleasure.....

Offline lonestar

• DTF Executive Chef
if you're proud... that doesn't count..... it has to be a GUILTY pleasure.....

Yeah, like when I sit in bed with a bag of Ruffles and some onion dip watching Battlestar Galactica back episodes.

Offline Sir GuitarCozmo

• Official Forum Sous Chef and broler5
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Kelly Clarkson BEEFS
The most important question - what brand of onion dip?  For me, 100% of the time, it has to be Heluva Good brand.  I have never tasted onion dip that rivals it.

Offline obscure

• Properly Silly
  • DTF.org Alumni
you guys have some very innocent guilty pleasures  :P

Offline lonestar

• DTF Executive Chef
you guys have some very innocent guilty pleasures  :P

Little girl, I destroyed my quota of the naughty ones a loooooooooooong time ago.

Online King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
Man I am torn on what song to send now.  Damn you!!  All of you!!

Offline Lowdz

It's a name your own price download on Bandcamp.

Thanks for the heads up. Parting with some cash now.

Offline obscure

• Properly Silly
  • DTF.org Alumni

:lol :lol :lol

Online King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni

:lol :lol :lol

I'm torchering myself Nem! :lol  Do I send a really good song of a band you all will hate or.... or...or....  DAMMIT!!