Author Topic: To tame a land artwork  (Read 8640 times)

Offline olliemedsy

To tame a land artwork
« on: April 28, 2012, 03:33:08 PM »
I know this doesnt need a whole thread, but theres no other option really. When dream theater did there 6 covers back in 2009, they released artwork for each song. did they release one for TTAL 'cause i havent found it

Offline Nihil-Morari

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Check out the Zappa Discography thread!
Re: To tame a land artwork
« Reply #1 on: April 28, 2012, 04:00:19 PM »
I can't specifically remember them NOT releasing artwork for one of the singles. But I can't find it right now either.
They released a single each week though, wasn't this the last one, because it was already released?
The FZ Discography Thread! https://www.dreamtheaterforums.org/boards/index.php?topic=44650.0
Nihil-Morari is generally considered the resident Zappa person.

Offline robwebster

« Reply #2 on: April 28, 2012, 04:29:11 PM »
Yeah, TTAL wasn't released as its own single, so the artwork doesn't exist. I seem to remember track 6 was saved for release day.

Offline Setlist Scotty

« Reply #3 on: April 28, 2012, 11:40:09 PM »
Yeah, TTAL wasn't released as its own single, so the artwork doesn't exist.

Sorry Rob - you're wrong on that one. Artwork does exist tho apparently not as widely available as the others. Take a look at the BCaSL tourbook (on the last page of Rich Wilson's essay).   ;)
As a basic rule, if you hate it, you must solely blame Portnoy. If it's good, then you must downplay MP's contribution to the band as not being important anyway, or claim he's just lying. It's the DTF way.

Offline wolfandwolfandwolf

• Gym Rat
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Really Scrappy Player
« Reply #4 on: April 28, 2012, 11:42:40 PM »
I do know that the To Tame a Land cover is awesome.

Offline angelusredgrove

« Reply #5 on: April 29, 2012, 02:37:46 AM »

Uploaded with ImageShack.us

Not sure if this is fan-made or not, but it is cool

Offline BlobVanDam

• Future Boy
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Transform and rock out!
« Reply #6 on: April 29, 2012, 02:42:29 AM »
Going by the use of the incorrect DT font, it's definitely fan made. A nice pic though. I can't remember if I've seen the real one, so maybe this one looks better anyway (wonky font aside :biggrin: )
Only King could mis-spell a LETTER.
Yep. I think the only party in the MP/DT situation that hasn't moved on is DTF.

Offline Setlist Scotty

« Reply #7 on: April 29, 2012, 03:00:55 AM »
That's definitely not it - Blob called it regarding the crap font that's used. The real thing does look similar to that, but with much more sky and less ground, and far more gray in color (colors are much more muted) with elephants walking along the horizon on the left side.
« Last Edit: April 29, 2012, 03:16:26 AM by Setlist Scotty »
As a basic rule, if you hate it, you must solely blame Portnoy. If it's good, then you must downplay MP's contribution to the band as not being important anyway, or claim he's just lying. It's the DTF way.

Offline olliemedsy

« Reply #8 on: April 29, 2012, 03:44:31 AM »
i just looked in the tourbook, and i have never seen that before. if anyone ever finds it on the internet, please post it :P

Offline jonny108

• Snaaaake Eater
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • ille qui nos omnes servabit
« Reply #9 on: April 29, 2012, 03:55:05 AM »
Can't find any big versions anywhere?

Offline hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
« Reply #10 on: April 29, 2012, 04:43:52 AM »
I know it wasn't recorded at the same time as the others.  It was just added on to the BC&SL covers disc since it was another cover they had recorded.  That may have something to do with it.
Hef is right on all things. Except for when I disagree with him. In which case he's probably still right.

Offline Mladen

« Reply #11 on: April 29, 2012, 04:48:59 AM »

I believe this is the actual artwork. There was a Roadrunner video with Mike talking about the covers, and they would cut to the artwork when he starts talking about that particular cover. I remember this cover appeared the moment he mentioned To tame a land.

Offline The Dark Master

• Veteran of the Psychic Wars
« Reply #12 on: April 29, 2012, 06:07:17 PM »
I think the one that Jonny posted is the correct one, although personally I much prefer that fan made piece.  As a HUUUUUGE fan of the song's subject material, I've always felt they could have done something so much cooler with the artwork for the single that would have related to the lyrics a bit more strongly while at the same time having that typical DT album cover otherworldly simplicity.  Not something as blatant as a ginormous sandworm, perhaps, but something a bit more subtle that was still distinctly Dune-esuqe would have been much more satisfactory. 

Now something like that, with the DT band name, single name, maybe just have one eye with the Majesty symbol on it, that would have been bad ass.

Offline Nick

• A doctor.
  • Global Moderator
  • But not the medical kind.
« Reply #13 on: April 29, 2012, 06:27:41 PM »
That's really cool artwork, ties into Dune much better than elephants!
For the best online progressive radio: ProgRock.com
For the best in progressive news, reviews, and interviews: SonicPerspectives.com
For a trove of older podcasts and interviews: WPaPU.com
Awesome Majesty Pendant Club: Member #1

Offline The Dark Master

« Reply #14 on: April 29, 2012, 08:58:19 PM »
I know.  My first thought when seeing the TTAL artwork was "What?  Elephants?  Pachyderms can't survive on Arrakis, there's no where near enough water!"

Offline Nick

• A doctor.
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #15 on: April 29, 2012, 09:31:11 PM »
I mean, I know they wanted to incorporate the elephants and all, so at least have them being gobbled up by Shai-halud.
For the best in progressive news, reviews, and interviews: SonicPerspectives.com

Offline TheGreatPretender

• The Second Dancing Turtle
  • You are reading these words.
« Reply #16 on: April 29, 2012, 09:56:34 PM »
I really don't see why it matters. I mean, the cover looks nice, that's all that matters and it vaguely touches the subject. It's not exactly like Stargazer has anything to do with an observatory, either.
"How's that for a slice of fried gold?"

Offline Nick

• A doctor.
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #17 on: April 29, 2012, 10:04:39 PM »
I really don't see why it matters. I mean, the cover looks nice, that's all that matters and it vaguely touches the subject. It's not exactly like Stargazer has anything to do with an observatory, either.

Difference is I don't think anyone cares about whatever Stargazer IS about, whereas Dune fans can be fucking nuts. :lol

Edit: And while I think the mega-uber-remote chance of this left with Portnoy, I'd bust a nut if they ever covered this live and followed it with March of the Tyrant. (which is about a later Dune book)

« Reply #18 on: April 29, 2012, 10:13:59 PM »

Difference is I don't think anyone cares about whatever Stargazer IS about, whereas Dune fans can be fucking nuts. :lol

Edit: And while I think the mega-uber-remote chance of this left with Portnoy, I'd bust a nut if they ever covered this live and followed it with March of the Tyrant. (which is about a later Dune book)

Ohh, okay, so it's not so much about being a Dream Theater fan, or an Iron Maiden fan, it's more about being a Dune fan. Ah well, could be worse, they could've covered a song about Star Wars.

Offline wolfandwolfandwolf

• Gym Rat
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Really Scrappy Player
« Reply #19 on: April 29, 2012, 10:51:58 PM »
Or write a song based on a graphic novel or something.

Offline Setlist Scotty

« Reply #20 on: April 30, 2012, 12:31:59 AM »

Not that I'm doubting you, but where did you learn that MotT is based on a later Dune book? This is the first I've ever heard anything like this. Is it something referenced in the lyrics, an interview or something else?

Offline The Dark Master

« Reply #21 on: April 30, 2012, 02:36:58 AM »

Stargazer is actually one of my favourite Dio written songs, but truth be told, the story in the lyrics was a bit too esoteric to be summed up in a single image, so the band chose a pic that was a literal representation of the song title.  It may not have been the most creative cover for the single, but it still related to the song at least in name, if not in spirit.

To Tame A Land is a wholly different creature.  Dune is one of the best selling works of science fiction literature in the history of the genre, considered by many to be the sci-fi counterpart to The Lord Of The Rings, and has spawned a multi-media franchise of numerous sequels, prequels, films and video games, with an influence that can be felt in many of the most prominent sci-fi works that have followed it, from Star Wars to Warhammer 40000 to Avatar.  A song adaptation of such a work is inherently subject a much higher level of scrutiny concerning it's loyalty to it's thematic basis, and physical representation of such a song is subject to the same.  Granted, what the band chooses as the image for a cover single is not all that important, but when that song is based off a franchise like Dune, people are going to expect some sort of meaningful visual tie-in, rather then just some random pic of unrelated creatures in a wide open space vaguely reminiscent of the primary setting of the book.

(It should be noted that the cover of TTAL roughly relates to the literal title of it's respective song, although nowhere near as well as the cover of Stargazer)

Where did you hear that MOTT is based off a Dune book, because if that's true, then it's badass!  :metal

Offline angelillo

« Reply #22 on: April 30, 2012, 05:52:46 AM »
Well, it would make sense that it does not have an artwork, as to Tame A Land was not recorded in the BC&SL sessions (If I am not wrong). I don't have the booklet with me now, but this was recorded as a compilation of covers in a Maiden tribute by Kerrang mag I think in which DT particpated along with other acts as 'Tallica and I don't remember who else and that is not really relevant here.

So my guess is that they just added that cover at the end of this covers bonus album but it is not part of the BC&SL sessions (per se)...

Now that I think about it again... how does this prevent them from having a artwork for it? LOL

« Last Edit: April 30, 2012, 05:57:49 AM by angelillo »

Offline robwebster

« Reply #23 on: April 30, 2012, 06:42:51 AM »

Stargazer is actually one of my favourite Dio written songs, but truth be told, the story in the lyrics was a bit too esoteric to be summed up in a single image, so the band chose a pic that was a literal representation of the song title.  It may not have been the most creative cover for the single, but it still related to the song at least in name, if not in spirit.

To Tame A Land is a wholly different creature.  Dune is one of the best selling works of science fiction literature in the history of the genre, considered by many to be the sci-fi counterpart to The Lord Of The Rings, and has spawned a multi-media franchise of numerous sequels, prequels, films and video games, with an influence that can be felt in many of the most prominent sci-fi works that have followed it, from Star Wars to Warhammer 40000 to Avatar.  A song adaptation of such a work is inherently subject a much higher level of scrutiny concerning it's loyalty to it's thematic basis, and physical representation of such a song is subject to the same.  Granted, what the band chooses as the image for a cover single is not all that important, but when that song is based off a franchise like Dune, people are going to expect some sort of meaningful visual tie-in, rather then just some random pic of unrelated creatures in a wide open space vaguely reminiscent of the primary setting of the book.

(It should be noted that the cover of TTAL roughly relates to the literal title of it's respective song, although nowhere near as well as the cover of Stargazer)
The elephants (which I've only just learnt exist - cheers Scotty!) are just there 'cos they're on the cover of BCSL. There's the crow on the Odyssey cover, too, and the little boy in the Stargazer observatory. A bunch of them had tie ins. It's just a desert - possibly the surface of the planet - BCSLed. They might have been on a small corner of the planet which doesn't have a worm bursting out of it at this moment in time. Nor massive eyes on the horizon.

They're all relatively minimalist, they're not gonna change the style to make sure everybody's heard about Dune.

Offline Another_Won

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Attest to the mighty river.Let the truth be heard!
« Reply #24 on: April 30, 2012, 07:26:55 AM »

I believe this is the actual artwork. There was a Roadrunner video with Mike talking about the covers, and they would cut to the artwork when he starts talking about that particular cover. I remember this cover appeared the moment he mentioned To tame a land.
Funny I was just looking for this on Friday and wondering why I couldn't find it.

Someone please let us know if there is a bigger version - Thanks!

Offline The Dark Master

« Reply #25 on: April 30, 2012, 12:47:41 PM »

The elephants (which I've only just learnt exist - cheers Scotty!) are just there 'cos they're on the cover of BCSL. There's the crow on the Odyssey cover, too, and the little boy in the Stargazer observatory. A bunch of them had tie ins. It's just a desert - possibly the surface of the planet - BCSLed. They might have been on a small corner of the planet which doesn't have a worm bursting out of it at this moment in time. Nor massive eyes on the horizon.

They're all relatively minimalist, they're not gonna change the style to make sure everybody's heard about Dune.

Ok, fair enough.  I guess  I can see how the elephants are tied into BC&SL.  My point was simply that unlike the pic for Stargazer, the pic for TTAL didn't tie in very well to either the title or the theme of of the song.  And I also posted that pic with the eyes just to demonstrate that DT could have done a minimalist cover that would have tied into the theme of the song, but I guess they just wanted to make each single cover a tie in to the main album, so whatever.

« Reply #26 on: April 30, 2012, 12:54:51 PM »
Ok, fair enough.  I guess  I can see how the elephants are tied into BC&SL.  My point was simply that unlike the pic for Stargazer, the pic for TTAL didn't tie in very well to either the title or the theme of of the song.  And I also posted that pic with the eyes just to demonstrate that DT could have done a minimalist cover that would have tied into the theme of the song, but I guess they just wanted to make each single cover a tie in to the main album, so whatever.

Well, it does feature a desert, which does tie into the song at least somewhat. About as much as the Stargazer cover does. I mean, Stargazer is not about "someone who likes to gaze at stars".

Offline Nick

• A doctor.
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #27 on: April 30, 2012, 01:47:22 PM »

Not that I'm doubting you, but where did you learn that MotT is based on a later Dune book? This is the first I've ever heard anything like this. Is it something referenced in the lyrics, an interview or something else?

It's the lyrics, CLEARLY about Dune, with references to the God Emperor and Arrakis and such.

If I remember correctly it's specifically about the book God Emperor of Dune.

Offline The Dark Master

« Reply #28 on: May 01, 2012, 01:18:11 PM »

Hmmm, I never noticed that.  I guess I should go back and listen to the song a bit more closely.  Well, I guess now I can count Dream Theater amongst the other great metal bands like Iron Maiden and Star One who have made songs based off that epic series, Frank Herbert's personal feelings about rock be damned!
It's the lyrics, CLEARLY about Dune, with references to the God Emperor and Arrakis and such.

Offline Flacracker

« Reply #29 on: May 01, 2012, 04:56:24 PM »
Going by the use of the incorrect DT font, it's definitely fan made. A nice pic though. I can't remember if I've seen the real one, so maybe this one looks better anyway (wonky font aside :biggrin: )
What do you mean about incorrect DT font? I have heard this before. Something is different about the logo? Looks the same to me.

Offline Setlist Scotty

« Reply #30 on: May 01, 2012, 05:13:12 PM »
What do you mean about incorrect DT font? I have heard this before. Something is different about the logo? Looks the same to me.

Pure and simple, it's a hack version of the font. Compare that font to what you see on official CD covers, and you'll notice that the finer details of the typeface look off in the "incorrect" DT font.

Offline Zook

• Evil Incarnate
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Take My Hand
« Reply #31 on: May 01, 2012, 06:01:02 PM »
Hey, at least they got the R right in Theater. Something that can't be said for official press releases...

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #32 on: May 01, 2012, 09:08:07 PM »
I wish they rerecorded this one when they did the rest of the covers, James's vocals just aren't that good.
Everyone else, except Wolfking is wrong.

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #33 on: May 01, 2012, 09:09:35 PM »

Hmmm, I never noticed that.  I guess I should go back and listen to the song a bit more closely.  Well, I guess now I can count Dream Theater amongst the other great metal bands like Iron Maiden and Star One who have made songs based off that epic series, Frank Herbert's personal feelings about rock be damned!

Yes.  Bruce and Steve have both clarified this over the years too I believe.
Everyone else, except Wolfking is wrong.

Offline Setlist Scotty

« Reply #34 on: May 01, 2012, 09:54:17 PM »

Yes.  Bruce and Steve have both clarified this over the years too I believe.

Pssst! I was asking about MotT, not TTaL!   ;)