Author Topic: To tame a land artwork  (Read 8638 times)

Offline TheGreatPretender

• The Second Dancing Turtle
  • You are reading these words.
Re: To tame a land artwork
« Reply #35 on: May 01, 2012, 10:06:40 PM »
I wish they rerecorded this one when they did the rest of the covers, James's vocals just aren't that good.

If they were going to RE-Record an Iron Maiden song from that album, I'd rather they did The Trooper.
"How's that for a slice of fried gold?"

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #36 on: May 01, 2012, 10:11:52 PM »
Edit: And while I think the mega-uber-remote chance of this left with Portnoy, I'd bust a nut if they ever covered this live and followed it with March of the Tyrant. (which is about a later Dune book)

Not that I'm doubting you, but where did you learn that MotT is based on a later Dune book? This is the first I've ever heard anything like this. Is it something referenced in the lyrics, an interview or something else?

Hmmm, I never noticed that.  I guess I should go back and listen to the song a bit more closely.  Well, I guess now I can count Dream Theater amongst the other great metal bands like Iron Maiden and Star One who have made songs based off that epic series, Frank Herbert's personal feelings about rock be damned!
It's the lyrics, CLEARLY about Dune, with references to the God Emperor and Arrakis and such.

If I remember correctly it's specifically about the book God Emperor of Dune.

Yes.  Bruce and Steve have both clarified this over the years too I believe.

Pssst! I was asking about MotT, not TTaL!   ;)

Sorry man.  That will teach me not to read people's posts thoroughly.   :facepalm:
Everyone else, except Wolfking is wrong.

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #37 on: May 01, 2012, 10:12:30 PM »
I wish they rerecorded this one when they did the rest of the covers, James's vocals just aren't that good.

If they were going to RE-Record an Iron Maiden song from that album, I'd rather they did The Trooper.

Where Eagles Dare would be my choice, or maybe even Still Life.
Everyone else, except Wolfking is wrong.

Offline Nick

• A doctor.
  • Global Moderator
  • But not the medical kind.
« Reply #38 on: May 02, 2012, 11:43:54 AM »

Because god knows we haven't had enough Maiden live versions of that, or versions on Maiden tribute albums. Covering that song would be like beating a large pack of dead horses.
For the best online progressive radio: ProgRock.com
For the best in progressive news, reviews, and interviews: SonicPerspectives.com
For a trove of older podcasts and interviews: WPaPU.com
Awesome Majesty Pendant Club: Member #1

Offline Ruba

« Reply #39 on: May 02, 2012, 11:47:01 AM »

Where Eagles Dare would be my choice, or maybe even Still Life.

KILLERS!  :metal :metal :metal.

I don't like James doing Bruce's vocals. They're so different.