Author Topic: The Ask black_floyd Thread (page 42)  (Read 126185 times)

Offline Adami

• Moderator of awesomeness
Re: The Ask Nick Thread (page 9)
« Reply #350 on: May 20, 2012, 10:31:40 PM »
Wait you're a doctor? Next thing you'll tell me Snapple is getting married.
fanticide.bandcamp.com

Offline Dr. DTVT

• DTF's resident Mad Scientist
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • What's your favorite planet? Mine's the Sun!
« Reply #351 on: May 20, 2012, 10:38:42 PM »

Offline Nick

• A doctor.
  • Global Moderator
  • But not the medical kind.
« Reply #352 on: May 20, 2012, 10:47:32 PM »
Sorry I had a busy weekend guys, but let me try and wrap this up.

And slightly related to the good doctor's question, you find a lamp with a genie, usual rules apply plus you can't wish for anything for yourself, what are your three wishes?

I see this as a tough question, because hypothetically if I ask for world peace, would that not benefit me? So it's tough to really make wishes in general that will have no beneficial impact on me. I've tried coming up with a bunch of wishes, but every time it comes back around benefiting me in some way.

Zombies have taken over most of the Earth.  Thankfully there was a DTF convention on a small island and everyone from DTF survived (ROOOOAAAAHHHHH!!).  Each mod is taking 4 other members to survey a part of the country.  Who's on your zombie survival/reconnaissance and why?  Resident zombie expert Metal Junkie was drafted by bosk, so MJ and the other mods are not available.

I was thinking about this, and I knew how I wanted to end my answer but couldn't find the first 3 people which would be serious answers, so pretend I did...

And then I'd take Volk, because if this story is ever made into a movie of course we'll need a black guy to kill off at some point.

So when can we expect a M:TG rematch against the good Dr.?

Next time he comes up to visit I'll break out the cards!

For the best online progressive radio: ProgRock.com
For the best in progressive news, reviews, and interviews: SonicPerspectives.com
For a trove of older podcasts and interviews: WPaPU.com
Awesome Majesty Pendant Club: Member #1

Offline Adami

• Moderator of awesomeness
« Reply #353 on: May 20, 2012, 10:58:27 PM »

I'm kidding of course, I plan on getting my doctorate too and you can bet I will tell every living soul about it for quite some time if I get it.
fanticide.bandcamp.com

Offline MasterShakezula

• Owes H $10
« Reply #354 on: May 20, 2012, 11:00:00 PM »
How many years were you being educated from first year of 4-year to your graduation?

Offline Dr. DTVT

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #355 on: May 20, 2012, 11:48:59 PM »
How many years were you being educated from first year of 4-year to your graduation?

Too many.  I'll give a timeline in school years:

Aug. 1997 - Dec. 2001 - B.S in Chemistry, worked as a football coach and scout the first 3 of those years, which is why I needed the extra semester since I was taking light class loads those first 3 falls.

Jan. 2002 - July 2003 - Worked a few odd jobs after graduation before getting a research technician position at Alcoa Inc.  Worked there and then was laid off before starting grad school.  I wasn't going to be laid off, 12 others lower on the totem pole were, but I saved one of them by telling my boss I was leaving in 2 months anyway.  Since I was there just over one year, I qualified for a six month severance package which was really nice.

Aug. 2003 - April 2012 - Grad school.  Research wise, very little went right, which explains the long ass tenure.  Thankfully I can teach my ass off, and eventually my advisor saw that it wasn't a lack of trying that got me nowhere.

May 2012 - July 2012 - Cleaning my lab, developing some new experiments, and testing some new equipment until I start my new faculty position this coming fall.  The chemistry dept is doing me a real solid for paying me until the end of June, and with a raise to boot.  Still will have no income in July and first half of August, but I'll be house hunting and visiting family in PA during that time.   

Offline jingle.boy

• I'm so ronery; so sad and ronery
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • DTF's resident deceased dictator
Re: The Ask DTVT Thread (page 9)
« Reply #356 on: May 21, 2012, 05:56:42 AM »
Aug. 2003 - April 2012 - Grad school.  Research wise, very little went right, which explains the long ass tenure.  Thankfully I can teach my ass off, and eventually my advisor saw that it wasn't a lack of trying that got me nowhere.

What was it that caused you to get nowhere?
What was the coolest/weirdest/scariest experiment you ever did?

Boomerang question ... in your move, the movers for some reason pack the sun canon in line with your CD collection, and it accidentally goes off, vaporizing all your music.  You get to raid one DTF member's CD collection, whose do you go after?
That's a word salad - and take it from me, I know word salad
I fear for the day when something happens on the right that is SO nuts that even Stadler says "That's crazy".
Quote from: Puppies_On_Acid
Remember the mark of a great vocalist is if TAC hates them with a special passion

Offline snapple

• Dad-bod Expert
« Reply #357 on: May 21, 2012, 06:09:13 AM »
What is/was your favorite color to play in magic?

How has magic helped you earn your Dr. title?

Are you going to sign everything as Dr. now?

Offline Tick

• It's time to make a change
  • DTF.org Member
  • Just another tricky day for you
« Reply #358 on: May 21, 2012, 08:54:03 AM »
Do you believe people of limited intelligence can work in a line of work such as yours, if they work extra hard?
Yup. Tick is dead on.  She's not your type.  Move on.   Tick is Obi Wan Kenobi

Offline lonestar

• DTF Executive Chef
  • Official DTF Tour Guide
  • Silly Hatted Knife Chucker
« Reply #359 on: May 21, 2012, 08:55:39 AM »
I know you're a huge fan of hot sauce and stuff, what is the absolute hottest thing you have eaten?

Offline Dr. DTVT

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #360 on: May 21, 2012, 09:20:44 AM »
What was it that caused you to get nowhere?

In short, some of the precursors I required turned out to be impossible to synthesize period, impossible to synthesize on a reasonable timeframe, and a few of them I was able to make, but they formed micelles in solution which prevented the desired association event from happening.  I was, among other things, able to find a system that was synthesizable and did not form micelles in solution, but it does not associate nearly as strong as the original desired targets.

What was the coolest/weirdest/scariest experiment you ever did?

Coolest - I made a molecular host and attached a dye molecule to it, which was an opaque purple.  When it complexed with vertain guests it changed to a transparent light blue, so it underwent a red-shift and a change in intensity.

Weirdest - I accidentally made this:

Which was a perfect sphere hanging from the ceiling of my hood.  It had the consistancy of a hornets nest.

Scariest - The scariest ACTUAL experiment I did involved making a diazo compound, which are some of the touchiest and most explosively reactive species in organic chemistry.  I would have felt safer working with TNT.  To make matters worse, making the diazo compound required me to do a Swern-like oxidation, which generated dimethyl sulfide, which smells like rancid ass.

The scariest thing that happened to me was I had a major explosion cleaning up a still (because my lab mates didn't maintain it the two weeks I was out of town).  I had pieces of glass embedded in me, lots of bruising, and a large chunk of shrapnel hit and shattered my perscription safety goggles.

This was one of the bruises a week after it happened:

Boomerang question ... in your move, the movers for some reason pack the sun canon in line with your CD collection, and it accidentally goes off, vaporizing all your music.  You get to raid one DTF member's CD collection, whose do you go after?

On one hand, I know Nick has a large legitamate collection because I've seen it in person.  But Nick doesn't have a lot of the heavier stuff I like.  Wolfking might have some of that stuff.  I think Yorost probably has a decent collection that might be more varied.  According to last.fm, Nem, carl320, and letters (banned) would also be candidiates, but letters has a lot of vinyl and I don't have a record player.

I guess I'd go with Nick, because I could always sell the stuff like Coheed and start to replace my Opeth and BTBAM, and he has complete DT, Rush, Iron Maiden, Enchant, Marillion, Threshold, and lots of other discogs, so the only major losses in terms of quantity would be Therion, Opeth, Arena, BTBAM, The Ocean, Enslaved, Epica, Hammers of Misfortune, Slough Feg, and a few others.  Losing the first Power of Omens album would suck though...its worth a lot on the secondary market now.

What is/was your favorite color to play in magic?

My favorite casual deck was a super fast red/green deck back from Ice Age.

My go to tournament decks were usually black/blue discard/disc/denial/control decks.  I forget the set name, but the set that came out in 2002 did this best.

While I've used all colors both casually and in tournament, I would rank them in order of how much I generally like them: Blue, Black, Red, Green, White.

How has magic helped you earn your Dr. title?

Serious answer to what might have been a joke question.  Being a good M:TG player requires you to understand multiple aspects of the game, even the ones you don't utilize yourself.  Higher level chemistry often also requires knowledge of things outside your area of expertise.  M:TG is also about balance.  Your deck has to fast, but not sputter in late game scenarios.  You need to have enough mana, but not too much or you draw dead late.  You need a mix of cheap casts and big casts so you options as the game progresses.  You need to be prepared for a variety of opposing decks, both from a mental and deck construction stand point.  There is a lot of balance in chemistry as well aside from simple stoiciometry.

Are you going to sign everything as Dr. now?

Professional documents, yes.  Things like receipts from stores, no.  E-mail depends on they type and frequency of correspondence.

Offline AcidLameLTE

• Nae deal pal
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #361 on: May 21, 2012, 09:23:18 AM »
This was one of the bruises a week after it happened:

JESUS

Offline Dr. DTVT

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #362 on: May 21, 2012, 09:58:01 AM »
Do you believe people of limited intelligence can work in a line of work such as yours, if they work extra hard?

Yes and no.  I could train a HS graduate to run my about 60% of my experiments.  At the research level though, it requires a high level of understanding to plan an apporpriate multi-step synthesis.  It's that level of understanding that usually leads to the creativity that separates a technitian from a senior lab chemist (generally the title of an entry level position for a Ph.D.).  It really becomes less about hard work to get a Ph.D. than it is about conceiving new ideas and developing methods to achieve those goals.  There are certainly some aspects that an average person are probably better equipped to deal with, like failure.  Up until grad school, I generally excelled at anything I did.  Those first few failures in grad school were a real shock to the system, and I'm not alone in that assessment.  There are some grad students who never learn to take that punch; they usually either wash-out or become insufferable asses because they lash out when things don't go the way they planned.

I know you're a huge fan of hot sauce and stuff, what is the absolute hottest thing you have eaten?

This one is relatively easy...it's Defcon 0.  It's an extract made by one of my friends in the business, here's his site: https://www.defconsauces.com.  His regular products are really good.  But Defcon 0 is unholy hot, and I've sampled it a few times.  The second time was probably the funniest though.  I was at the Firey Foods and BBQ trade show in Albuquerque in 2008 and John (the guy who makes the stuff) and I were just talking, it was early day 2 which is usually the slowest part.  Then two University of New Mexico football players came by the booth.  I nudged John and gave him a mischevious look, and he knew what I wanted to do.  He asked me if I was going to try the 0 (he knew I would since I did the previous day), and I gave a timid response.  I ended up saying I'd do it if someone else would do it with me.  Well, one of the players got all macho and said he'd do it, and convinced his friend to join along.  John gave us a giant toothpick dipped in 0, and told us to swab our tongue, which we all did.  Having built up a tolerance over the years, it was uncomfortable and painful, but nothing that would drive me insane (and it's almost 50% capsaicin, so I don't think anything would be too much to try on a toothpick).  The football players, though, were in a world of pain.  They made a beeline for the alcohol stand, and John told me to follow.  They begged to be let to the front of the line, and each bought a frozen margarita and downed it in about 2 seconds.  One of the wheezed "It's not working!"  and they sprinted (through a crowded convention center) to a booth giving free 6 oz. iced teas.  They each opened and downed several in succession, much to the chagrin of the vendor.  By this time both of them are beat red in the face, sweating profusely, and literally crying from the pain (in all fairness, my face was red and I was also sweating from the heat, and in some level of discomfort).  I told them to go eat bread and drink milk, from which I got an evil look because they just realized I'd set them up for this, and they left the convention center.  I ran into them a few hours later and apologized, and they were cool with it.  I sent them to a few booths where they could get some good stuff and they were grateful.

Offline lonestar

• DTF Executive Chef
  • Official DTF Tour Guide
  • Silly Hatted Knife Chucker
« Reply #363 on: May 21, 2012, 10:06:56 AM »
 :lol

I like it,too bad they couldn't have been Noted Dame guys.

Offline Nick

• A doctor.
  • Global Moderator
  • But not the medical kind.
« Reply #364 on: May 21, 2012, 01:36:29 PM »
You have a choice to make everyone on earth immortal while making them all sterile as well. No artificial babies either, and any already conceived children can be born normally. Do you do it?
For the best online progressive radio: ProgRock.com
For the best in progressive news, reviews, and interviews: SonicPerspectives.com
For a trove of older podcasts and interviews: WPaPU.com
Awesome Majesty Pendant Club: Member #1

Offline Dr. DTVT

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #365 on: May 21, 2012, 01:45:31 PM »
:lol

I like it,too bad they couldn't have been Noted Dame guys.

I wouldn't have told Notre Dame players to get milk and bread.

You have a choice to make everyone on earth immortal while making them all sterile as well. No artificial babies either, and any already conceived children can be born normally. Do you do it?

Absolutely not.  I don't want to rob myself or others of the opportunity to raise children.  Also, I think people would get sick of their jobs after a while.  Even if we're immortal and don't need food or health care, there is a going to be the need of some sort of labor force.  I think ultimately it would cause more problems than it would potentially cause.

Offline Ħ

« Reply #366 on: May 21, 2012, 01:46:40 PM »
When did you know that you wanted to do o chem?
"All great works are prepared in the desert, including the redemption of the world. The precursors, the followers, the Master Himself, all obeyed or have to obey one and the same law. Prophets, apostles, preachers, martyrs, pioneers of knowledge, inspired artists in every art, ordinary men and the Man-God, all pay tribute to loneliness, to the life of silence, to the night." - A. G. Sertillanges

Offline Dr. DTVT

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #367 on: May 21, 2012, 02:13:22 PM »
When did you know that you wanted to do o chem?

Well, I went into college as a chemistry major because chemistry was the only subject I felt that would be both challanging and interesting (sorry math).  Didn't know what I exactly I wanted to do with a degree in chemistry coming out of HS, but I figured it was a start.  When I took O-chem, I started studying a lot of people from my HS and lab mates more for their benefit than my own.  My junior year I made the realization that I didn't want to teach HS in order to coach football, and at near the same time was appoached by several professors inquiring about my post-graduation plans, all with the intent of pushing me toward grad school.  I thenrealized that teaching at the college level would all me to continously learn and evolve intellectually, and I find teaching to be a personally rewarding experience - it just lacks the competition aspect of football coaching, but I found ways to fill that void.

Offline jingle.boy

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #368 on: May 21, 2012, 03:03:58 PM »
Any motto's or 'rules' that you live your life by?
I fear for the day when something happens on the right that is SO nuts that even Stadler says "That's crazy".
Remember the mark of a great vocalist is if TAC hates them with a special passion

Offline King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Take that Beethoven, you deaf bastard!!
« Reply #369 on: May 21, 2012, 03:28:34 PM »
Is there a song close and personal to your heart?  We all have songs that mean so much more to us personally and since you are immersed like I am, I've always wondered that about a few of you on this forum.
I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down'.” - Bob Newhart
So wait, we're spelling it wrong and king is spelling it right? What is going on here? :lol -- BlobVanDam
"Oh, I am definitely a jackass!" - TAC

Offline Dr. DTVT

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #370 on: May 21, 2012, 04:28:31 PM »
Any motto's or 'rules' that you live your life by?

About the only ones I have are I try to be honest/uphold my word, try to be a positive influence on everyone I know, or at least not negative, and be generous when I can.

While I don't believe in karma, I would say everytime I've been confronted with crisis or uncertainty things always seem to work out for the better.  See my current job.  I was worried I wasn't going to have a job lined up when I graduated, and I knew my boss couldn't afford to keep me on since I've been there so long...the day I defended I got a site interview, 5 days later I nailed the interview, and less than 48 hours after my interview they offered me job as their unanimous top candidate.  In less than two weeks time I went from soon to be unemployed graduate student to a doctor with a professorship offer.

Is there a song close and personal to your heart?  We all have songs that mean so much more to us personally and since you are immersed like I am, I've always wondered that about a few of you on this forum.

I've said it a few times, but "Song for a Dead Friend" on Kevin Gilbert's Thud makes me more emotional than any other song.  It's too powerful and raw for me to handle most days.  The worst way to lose a friend is to suicide, and that song doesn't just tug at my heartstrings, its just rips them out.

Offline carl320

• The Knight of Cups
  • EZBoard Elder
« Reply #371 on: May 21, 2012, 08:53:29 PM »

Absolutely not.  I don't want to rob myself or others of the opportunity to raise children.  Also, I think people would get sick of their jobs after a while.  Even if we're immortal and don't need food or health care, there is a going to be the need of some sort of labor force.  I think ultimately it would cause more problems ]than it would potentially solve.

I guess my question would be:  did you mean this?  :P
In high school my buddies and I built a Van Der Graaf generator.  You know, to get girls.

Offline Dr. DTVT

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #372 on: May 21, 2012, 08:55:39 PM »

Absolutely not.  I don't want to rob myself or others of the opportunity to raise children.  Also, I think people would get sick of their jobs after a while.  Even if we're immortal and don't need food or health care, there is a going to be the need of some sort of labor force.  I think ultimately it would cause more problems ]than it would potentially solve.

I guess my question would be:  did you mean this?  :P

Yeah.  My brain goes faster than my fingers.

Offline FlyingBIZKIT

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #373 on: May 21, 2012, 09:02:57 PM »
How many times have you encountered a Grizzly Bear?

Offline Dr. DTVT

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #374 on: May 21, 2012, 09:44:45 PM »

never.  Except in my dreams.

Offline FlyingBIZKIT

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #375 on: May 21, 2012, 09:48:42 PM »

I thought you met JP? ???

Offline PuffyPat

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #376 on: May 21, 2012, 09:54:24 PM »
In my experience with M:TG people tend to not like blue (at least the players I've played with), so I ask: What brought you to rank blue as your favorite?
prog sucks
Even if you're not serious, I'm going to pretend you are and use this as proof that not all heroes wear capes.

Offline Dr. DTVT

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #377 on: May 21, 2012, 10:06:53 PM »

I thought you met JP? ???

He wasn't in bear mode the times I've met him.

In my experience with M:TG people tend to not like blue (at least the players I've played with), so I ask: What brought you to rank blue as your favorite?

I find most people don't like blue because they think it's slow (which was true in the early days but not so much now), and its also leads to an anti-social game - by that I mean that blue is a good grieffing deck and it will get you labeled as an asshole in social settings.  Blue has a lot of incredibly underrated cards though.  Blue can handle pretty much any deck mechanic due to counterspell, it has the most cantrips - repulse being a deck staple of pretty much any deck with blue - so it can cycle your library quickly.  And addressing the speed issue, I find most players are ill equipped to deal with the "Phantasimal" creatures that were recently introduced (cheap for their cost, destroyed if targetted).  Blue decks tend to require the most planning and tend to be the most complex, i.e. a good stasis deck.  In the M:TG online game, I haven't found anyone who could consistantly beat my tuned monoblue deck.  It's fast, it cycles, and I can handle whatever you throw at me.
« Last Edit: May 22, 2012, 09:09:15 AM by Dr. DTVT »

Offline Dr. DTVT

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #378 on: May 24, 2012, 07:38:07 PM »
Well, this thread died a horrible death.

Offline FlyingBIZKIT

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #379 on: May 24, 2012, 07:41:11 PM »
I'll ask another perhaps. What is your favorite word? How many times a day do you think you blink? Why are you on DTF? What do you think of your name in reverse? Nosam? Do you wish you could have an extra nose, so you could smell up to 6 billion scents in 2 seconds? If you were a plane, where would you land? Coasters or Koozies?

Offline jingle.boy

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #380 on: May 24, 2012, 08:08:37 PM »
Can you describe you level of annoyance when people ask you meaningless shit?

Offline FlyingBIZKIT

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #381 on: May 24, 2012, 08:10:38 PM »
If you're implying that it is meaningless..

..well you're wrong.

Offline Dr. DTVT

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #382 on: May 24, 2012, 08:27:16 PM »
What is your favorite word?

I say "fuck" all the fucking time.  Other than that, "desymmetrization", because I've found several ways of converting symmetrical molecules into unsymmetrical ones - it is actually quite a challenge in chemistry.

How many times a day do you think you blink?

I'll go with this:  https://answers.yahoo.com/question/index?qid=20071122214057AApxm7f

Why are you on DTF?

I actually had no intention of staying.  I originally just wanted M&G information 3 years ago.  Most people here are cool, or at least entertaining.

What do you think of your name in reverse? Nosam?

It's better than being named Ecafkcuf.

Do you wish you could have an extra nose, so you could smell up to 6 billion scents in 2 seconds?

No, because I deal with a lot of bad smelling stuff in the laboratory.

If you were a plane, where would you land?

I'd nose dive directly onto your house.

Coasters or Koozies?

Coasters.

Can you describe you level of annoyance when people ask you meaningless shit?

Now you understand why I want to build "The Sun Cannon®".

Offline FlyingBIZKIT

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #383 on: May 24, 2012, 08:30:30 PM »
Appreciate it!  :tup

Online El Barto

• Rascal Atheistic Pig
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Bad Craziness
« Reply #384 on: May 24, 2012, 08:35:57 PM »
If you could only fire it three times, who'd be your Sun Cannon fodder?  Skipping the three shot limitation,  would it only be used on people who have personally offended you, or would scumbags you've never had to deal with be subjects?  If the only limiting factor is your own sense of morality, what percentage of the population do you think would need to be shot into space for the betterment of the enlightened few?
Argument, the presentation of reasonable views, never makes headway against conviction, and conviction takes no part in argument because it knows.
E.F. Benson