Author Topic: The Ask black_floyd Thread (page 42)  (Read 124760 times)

Offline 73109

• DTF.org Member
Re: The Ask Lonestar Thread
« Reply #210 on: April 28, 2012, 09:56:48 PM »
Do you see yourself moving up on the culinary food chain? And where are you on it, btw?

Offline lonestar

• DTF Executive Chef
  • Official DTF Tour Guide
  • Silly Hatted Knife Chucker
Re: The Ask Lonestar Thread
« Reply #211 on: April 29, 2012, 01:19:00 AM »
Do you see yourself moving up on the culinary food chain? And where are you on it, btw?

Good question, the structure of our kitchen is five manager/chefs, an Executive chef and sous chef, who oversee everything.  Three sous chefs for each department, banquets, Meritage(our fine dining restaurant) and Paragon(my place, a high end american bistro).  Under each sous is a union sous chef, which is my position(we actually make about the same money as the management sous, just can't write people up).  For all intensive purposes, this can be a retirement type job, pension, killer benefits, and long term job security.  At my present hotel, there really isn't room for upward mobility, since I would have to leave the union, and I really don't want to be in management at this particular property.  If I was to lok to move up, it would be an executive sous position at another hotel, or a sous or exec chef at a stand alone restaurant.  For the next few years at least, I really don't see myself going anywhere, I need the time to take care of the many personal issues going on in my life, and the comfort of a solid job is very helpful.  At some point in the future, it is a possibility though.

Offline Sir GuitarCozmo

• Official Forum Sous Chef and broler5
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Kelly Clarkson BEEFS
Re: The Ask Chino Thread
« Reply #212 on: April 29, 2012, 08:57:16 PM »
New week, new member.  This week, ask Chino.  Enjoy!

Offline Nick

• A doctor.
  • Global Moderator
  • But not the medical kind.
« Reply #213 on: April 29, 2012, 09:28:15 PM »
Aside from the drunken rail fall, what's the dumbest thing you've ever done?
For the best online progressive radio: ProgRock.com
For the best in progressive news, reviews, and interviews: SonicPerspectives.com
For a trove of older podcasts and interviews: WPaPU.com
Awesome Majesty Pendant Club: Member #1

Offline Gadough

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #214 on: April 29, 2012, 09:54:46 PM »
I've actually been meaning to ask you this for a while, Chino. I suppose now is a good time.

Have you seen this? https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uJarz7BYnHA
Gadough isn't Hitler. He's much, much worse.

Offline Dr. DTVT

• DTF's resident Mad Scientist
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • What's your favorite planet? Mine's the Sun!
« Reply #215 on: April 29, 2012, 10:04:34 PM »
Simple, but since you're younger you're less likely to have a canned answer.

Where do you see yourself in five years?

Offline lonestar

• DTF Executive Chef
« Reply #216 on: April 29, 2012, 10:44:27 PM »
I just wanted to thank everyone for the time, doing this was a blast, and I was glad to expose myself in a non perverted manner to DTF.

Chino, in another threadm, you mentioned how the now infamous balcony fall changed your view on life, could you go into more detail onthis?

Also, do you really love avatar that much, or are you just trolling the fuck out of us?

Offline Tick

• It's time to make a change
  • DTF.org Member
  • Just another tricky day for you
« Reply #217 on: April 30, 2012, 05:48:34 AM »
Chino. Do you think Dream Theater will ever come back to Connecticut's Oakdale again? Why do you think they keep skipping the venue?
Yup. Tick is dead on.  She's not your type.  Move on.   Tick is Obi Wan Kenobi

Offline ReaperKK

• Sweeter After Difficulty
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #218 on: April 30, 2012, 06:30:20 AM »

Chino, in another threadm, you mentioned how the now infamous balcony fall changed your view on life, could you go into more detail onthis?

I want to know this too.

Also, what are you majoring in?

Offline snapple

• Dad-bod Expert
« Reply #219 on: April 30, 2012, 06:57:08 AM »
If you could change one thing in the world, what would it be?

(beauty pageant question, but you always seem to have curious takes on things)

Offline Chino

• Be excellent to each other.
  • DT.net Veteran
« Reply #220 on: April 30, 2012, 07:13:06 AM »
Aside from the drunken rail fall, what's the dumbest thing you've ever done?

Getting pulled over after being clocked at 125mph when I was 18.

I've actually been meaning to ask you this for a while, Chino. I suppose now is a good time.

I will watch this when I have a chance in a few hours.

To be done with school and hopefully working toward my goal of making digital science text books for kids.

Chino. Do you think Dream Theater will ever come back to Connecticut's Oakdale again? Why do you think they keep skipping the venue?

I hope they do. I think it's shit on the venue's end. They only have like 3 events a month...

I want to know this too.

Also, what are you majoring in?

It didn't really change my view on life. My thought process is the same now it used to be. The main difference is that I learned how easy it is for something to go terribly wrong even when you are convinced you are in control. I learned I dont have the limits I once thought I did. I now feel bad when I see the 16 and 17 year olds at my work talking about how shitty they get every weekend, even though it's something I did all the time.

I am majoring in MIS

If you could change one thing in the world, what would it be?

(beauty pageant question, but you always seem to have curious takes on things)

Im sorry if is offends some people, but I'm being honest.

I would do away with ALL religions and try and rid the world of racism. So much hate and death comes from something that may be entirely superstition. When I look at a black person, I don't think "stupid nigger", I think "wow, it's so crazy how skin color was determined by nature to best fit an environment, why should I hate them for that?"... I feel like if everyone thought of each other in a scientific sense, and not a biblical or hierarchy sense, the people of the world could get along much better.

Sorry if some of these answers are butchered. I'm typing fast on my iPad, on the toilet, about to be late for class...  :lol
« Last Edit: April 30, 2012, 07:22:52 AM by Chino »

Offline snapple

• Dad-bod Expert
« Reply #221 on: April 30, 2012, 07:23:29 AM »
I disagree, but that was why I asked. Good takes on things. (if we wanna argue we can start a topic in pr)

Offline Chino

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #222 on: April 30, 2012, 08:29:10 AM »

Of course I've seen that  :rollin I've had about a hundred people send me it. He makes a lot of really good points but doesn't take into account for a lot of things.... For example, the big eyes... The Na'vi have really big eyes out of necessity, not because they are cute. They live in a Forrest that gets alluminated bioluminecently at night, they need large eyes to see in those kind of conditions. There are plenty of forrest creatures on earth that have the same kind of eyes. If the Na'vi lived in a place that never went dark, they'd have smaller eyes.

Offline King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Take that Beethoven, you deaf bastard!!
« Reply #223 on: April 30, 2012, 04:16:58 PM »
Chino,  Besides smashing gingerbread houses, what do you do on your spare time?
I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down'.” - Bob Newhart
So wait, we're spelling it wrong and king is spelling it right? What is going on here? :lol -- BlobVanDam
"Oh, I am definitely a jackass!" - TAC

Offline Dr. DTVT

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #224 on: April 30, 2012, 05:36:39 PM »

To be done with school and hopefully working toward my goal of making digital science text books for kids.

Could I ask you to elaborate on this when you have some spare time?  As a scientist and an educator, you've piqued my interest here.

Offline Nick

• A doctor.
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #225 on: April 30, 2012, 05:45:13 PM »

Could I ask you to elaborate on this when you have some spare time?  As a scientist and an educator, you've piqued my interest here.

I've had digital textbooks all my life. I mean, how many books do you have that aren't operated by your digits? :neverusethis:
For the best in progressive news, reviews, and interviews: SonicPerspectives.com

Offline Chino

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #226 on: April 30, 2012, 08:24:01 PM »
Chino,  Besides smashing gingerbread houses, what do you do on your spare time?

During the semester my life is school. When not doing the whole school thing, I enjoy driving RC trucks and kayaking. I spend time with my girlfriend and like to ponder about insane thoughts. Every day I think of at least a dozen things I want to start threads about but never do.

First off, I believe that the general public's lack of scientific interest has hindered this country's development greatly. During the moon landing era (I'm paraphrasing NDT here) you couldn't open a magazine or a newspaper without seeing something about the city of tomorrow, the home of tomorrow, transportation of tomorrow... everyone was dreaming and wanted to be part of it. Once the moon landing era ended, all of that ended. As a country, we stopped dreaming, and that spark of interest in science died. Second, in 15 years time I don't think you are going to find physical text books in 90+% of schools. I want to help reignite that spark in kids by letting them play and see science, not be bored and tortured by just reading stuff they don't want to. Keep in mind, I want to work in the age group of 7-10.

Offline lonestar

• DTF Executive Chef
« Reply #227 on: April 30, 2012, 10:39:28 PM »
First off, I believe that the general public's lack of scientific interest has hindered this country's development greatly. During the moon landing era (I'm paraphrasing NDT here) you couldn't open a magazine or a newspaper without seeing something about the city of tomorrow, the home of tomorrow, transportation of tomorrow... everyone was dreaming and wanted to be part of it. Once the moon landing era ended, all of that ended. As a country, we stopped dreaming, and that spark of interest in science died. Second, in 15 years time I don't think you are going to find physical text books in 90+% of schools. I want to help reignite that spark in kids by letting them play and see science, not be bored and tortured by just reading stuff they don't want to. Keep in mind, I want to work in the age group of 7-10.

That's just plain awesome man, I hope you achieve your dream. :tup

Offline MasterShakezula

• Owes H $10
« Reply #228 on: April 30, 2012, 10:46:33 PM »
I have 2 questions. 

1.  How do you feel about electronic music?

2.  Would you recommend majoring in a science in college and going to grad school? 

3 (I lied).  I have a problem with motivation in general.  How can I fix this? 

4.  What I probably should be asking is "How do I get started fixing this?"

Offline Implode

• Lord of the Squids
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #229 on: May 01, 2012, 01:20:51 AM »
Hey, Chino.

What made you a huge DeGrasse Tyson fan? Or when did that start?

Offline wolfandwolfandwolf

• Gym Rat
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Really Scrappy Player
« Reply #230 on: May 01, 2012, 08:36:14 AM »
Chino, you can be an all star athlete in any of the big four North American sports.  Which sport do you play?

Offline lonestar

• DTF Executive Chef
« Reply #231 on: May 01, 2012, 08:54:56 AM »
You are in my restaurant and can have any four course meal you want, price is no object.  What am I cooking?

Offline Dr. DTVT

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #232 on: May 01, 2012, 07:37:30 PM »
In some bizarro situation, you have to go gay for 1 week, but you can choose your partner.  Who are you going gay for?

Offline lonestar

• DTF Executive Chef
« Reply #233 on: May 01, 2012, 07:43:35 PM »
Thank you for not asking me that. :tup

Offline Dr. DTVT

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #234 on: May 01, 2012, 09:08:04 PM »
That's because I already knew the answer.

Offline Omega

« Reply #235 on: May 01, 2012, 09:19:46 PM »
My questions for you, Chino, are similar to lonestar's:

Why do you or don't you believe in (a) God? Do you believe there is any deeper meaning to our lives other than to replicate our DNA before we all inevitably pass out of existence? Is there any deeper purpose to life other than the meaning we can subjectively give it?

Thanks, and, once again, sorry for getting all depressing / philosophical on you  :blush
ΩΩΩΩΩΩΩΩΩΩΩΩΩΩΩΩΩΩΩΩΩΩΩΩΩΩΩΩΩΩΩΩΩΩΩΩΩΩΩΩΩΩΩΩΩΩΩΩΩΩΩΩΩΩΩΩΩΩΩΩΩΩΩΩΩΩΩΩΩΩΩΩΩΩΩΩΩΩΩΩΩΩΩΩΩΩΩΩΩΩΩΩΩΩΩΩΩ

Offline Chino

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #236 on: May 02, 2012, 09:10:30 AM »
I have 2 questions. 

1.  How do you feel about electronic music?

2.  Would you recommend majoring in a science in college and going to grad school? 

3 (I lied).  I have a problem with motivation in general.  How can I fix this? 

4.  What I probably should be asking is "How do I get started fixing this?"

1) I don't usually like it, but there are a few songs here and there that I think are sick.

2) Yes I would.

3) Just don't worry about things. Many things in life take time to sort themselves out. Sitting around dwelling on them won't change anything.

4) Find something that can take your mind off of things that bother you. Buy a CO2 pistol and just unload on glass objects.

Hey, Chino.

What made you a huge DeGrasse Tyson fan? Or when did that start?

That's a great question. I transfered into a public school as a sophmore in highschool. In my biology class we discussed natural selection. This was the first time I was hearing of it and it totally blew my mind. At that moment I became hooked on life in a way I never had before. I read the Origin of Species over that Christmas break and fell in love. One day I am flipping through the channels and stumble across a show called Cosmos (never saw it before) and Carl Sagan was talking about the crabs that looked like samurai warriors. It reminded me of natural selection we discussed in school. Next thing I knew, I bought the 13 part series and have since seen it at least 20 times. That is what really got me into science and space. I just began watching all the shows I could and eventually stumbled across NDT.  I always found this to be really cool.... https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eeqrN3Bfro8

Chino, you can be an all star athlete in any of the big four North American sports.  Which sport do you play?

Baseball.

You are in my restaurant and can have any four course meal you want, price is no object.  What am I cooking?

- Bacon, Sausage, Hashbrown, Egg, and Cheese Breakfast Sammich.
- Some really awesome wings.
- 42oz Siroloin with shoepeg corn and mashed potatoes.
- Cheesecake run through a frozen yogurt machine and put into a sugar cone.

In some bizarro situation, you have to go gay for 1 week, but you can choose your partner.  Who are you going gay for?

Ryan Reynolds

My questions for you, Chino, are similar to lonestar's:

Why do you or don't you believe in (a) God? Do you believe there is any deeper meaning to our lives other than to replicate our DNA before we all inevitably pass out of existence? Is there any deeper purpose to life other than the meaning we can subjectively give it?

Thanks, and, once again, sorry for getting all depressing / philosophical on you  :blush

I don't believe in a "God". I guess at best I can say that there is a possibility that some action of another being triggered the creation of our universe. For instance, if scientists created a micro universe in a lab that was a scaled down version of our own. Something that we will never be able to comprehend. The purpose of all life is to replicate our DNA. We just happen to be the first species that have truely perfected it and have free time to wonder what else we could do when we are not trying to populate. I believe that we are the first species that now does not need to worry about procreation. Some of us can focus out attention on other things. For example, my doctor never go married, but she has saved the lives of hundred of children. To me, that is better for our species than someone just cranking out kids. But at our core, our only purpose is to procreate.... and even that's not really a purpose, it's just something we do.
« Last Edit: May 02, 2012, 09:36:55 AM by Chino »

Offline Sir GuitarCozmo

• Official Forum Sous Chef and broler5
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Kelly Clarkson BEEFS
« Reply #237 on: May 02, 2012, 10:01:33 AM »
- Bacon, Sausage, Hashbrown, Egg, and Cheese Breakfast Sammich.
- Some really awesome wings.
- 42oz Siroloin with shoepeg corn and mashed potatoes.
- Cheesecake run through a frozen yogurt machine and put into a sugar cone.

^Food pr0n

Offline Sigz

• BLOOD FOR THE BLOOD GOD
  • DTF.org Member
  • THRONES FOR THE THRONE SKULL
« Reply #238 on: May 02, 2012, 11:33:51 AM »
Would you give a blowjob for money? If so, what would your minimum fee be? You can do two prices, one assuming you know there's no risk of STDs and another without that guarantee.
The world is a stage, but the play is badly cast.

Offline Nick

• A doctor.
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #239 on: May 02, 2012, 11:38:04 AM »
Every time Neil Degrass Tyson is on The Daily Show I feel like a better person after than I was before. He's seriously just an amazing individual, and his fun fact tweets are usually excellent.

Offline Phoenix87x

• From the ashes
  • The Phoenix shall rise
« Reply #240 on: May 02, 2012, 11:49:05 AM »
Every time Neil Degrass Tyson is on The Daily Show I feel like a better person after than I was before. He's seriously just an amazing individual, and his fun fact tweets are usually excellent.

Amen to that. Neil Degrass Tyson inspires just as Sagan did before him.

Offline Chino

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #241 on: May 02, 2012, 11:50:31 AM »
Would you give a blowjob for money? If so, what would your minimum fee be? You can do two prices, one assuming you know there's no risk of STDs and another without that guarantee.

It all depends on how long I have to suck, if it's going to be made public, and where his load goes. As long as it's kept private, no STD's, and I didn't come into contact with his semen, I'd probably blow a guy for 3 minutes for like a grand. I have no shame. It'd be the easiest thousand dollars I ever got.

Offline lonestar

• DTF Executive Chef
« Reply #242 on: May 02, 2012, 11:51:19 AM »
I can't remember if you mentioned this at the time, but I know you were asleep when you fell off the balcony.  Did you wake up during the fall, and if so, what went through your head?

If you want to avoid this question, I totally understand.

Offline Chino

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #243 on: May 02, 2012, 12:06:14 PM »

Amen to that. Neil Degrass Tyson inspires just as Sagan did before him.

You'll enjoy this; https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eeqrN3Bfro8

I can't remember if you mentioned this at the time, but I know you were asleep when you fell off the balcony.  Did you wake up during the fall, and if so, what went through your head?

If you want to avoid this question, I totally understand.

I dozed off for a split second. As soon as my weight shifted I woke up. I was able to realize what was happening and watched my hand come off the railing. I heard people yelling "WHOA! WHOA! DUDE! DUDE! I kept my eyes open the entire way down. Surpisingly, the thought of death didn't even run through my head. The only thing that registered was me thinking to myslef "this is gonna hurt like fuck, but you got this"  :lol I made contact and lost vision for a second or two as I started tumbling. I came to rest face down and the voices yelling that I had heard earlier actually ended up being some friends from my home town. They didn't realize it was me until I started yelling back at them. I think I said something like "Did you see that!". At that point I felt pretty fine actually. I tried getting up, I felt like I could, but no one would let me. The cops were there within minutes and one of them was more or less sitting on my back. It took forever for the amnulence to get there, and my left arm started going numb because it was trapped under mine and the cop's weight for like 25 minutes. He wouldn't let me move it. By that point the pain started really kicking in and I started blacking out. The last thing I remember was the cop saying "Stick with me man, don't go anywhere"... I responded "Where am I going to go, you're sitting on me".

Offline Chino

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #244 on: May 02, 2012, 12:07:12 PM »

He tweeted me!!!