Author Topic: The Ask black_floyd Thread (page 42)  (Read 125737 times)

Offline Nick

• A doctor.
  • Global Moderator
  • But not the medical kind.
Re: The Ask DTVT Thread (page 9)
« Reply #385 on: May 24, 2012, 09:46:38 PM »
The #1 on your list is in your sights, the only problem is El Barto is currently cleaning the front of the sun cannon. You will never get another chance, it's either fire now or he stays on the planet unharmed, what do you?
For the best online progressive radio: ProgRock.com
For the best in progressive news, reviews, and interviews: SonicPerspectives.com
For a trove of older podcasts and interviews: WPaPU.com
Awesome Majesty Pendant Club: Member #1

Offline MasterShakezula

• Owes H $10
« Reply #386 on: May 24, 2012, 10:37:25 PM »
What do you to to keep active and on-top-of-things?

Offline JayOctavarium

• I used to be a whorejerk
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • But then I took a Hef to the knee...
« Reply #387 on: May 24, 2012, 10:42:28 PM »
Shoe size?
I just don't understand what they were trying to achieve with any part of the song, either individually or as a whole. You know what? It's the Platypus of Dream Theater songs. That bill doesn't go with that tail, or that strange little furry body, or those webbed feet, and oh god why does it have venomous spurs!? And then you find out it lays eggs too. The difference is that the Platypus is somehow functional despite being a crazy mishmash or leftover animal pieces

-BlobVanDam on "Scarred"

Offline Nick

• A doctor.
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #388 on: May 24, 2012, 10:53:03 PM »
You have to eliminate one of the following elements (1, 2, 6, 7, 8) from future use, which do you choose? This means that all normal functions of the atom and molecules that go on naturally can continue, but you can't use the chosen element for experiments and research in the future.

Kind of a weird question, but it's chemistry, so why not.
For the best in progressive news, reviews, and interviews: SonicPerspectives.com

Offline Dr. DTVT

• DTF's resident Mad Scientist
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • What's your favorite planet? Mine's the Sun!
« Reply #389 on: May 24, 2012, 10:56:11 PM »
If you could only fire it three times, who'd be your Sun Cannon fodder?  Skipping the three shot limitation,  would it only be used on people who have personally offended you, or would scumbags you've never had to deal with be subjects?  If the only limiting factor is your own sense of morality, what percentage of the population do you think would need to be shot into space for the betterment of the enlightened few?

Three times...I'd use them on real scum of the earth types.  I would have to do research into who they would be, but I would choose 3 people who are still at large (under the guise of selling them the thing) with large human rights rap sheets.  The Hitler's, Pol Pot's, and Slobodan Milošević's of the modern world.

I'd set guidelines in place for who could be fired.  No one has personally wronged me to the degree that they should be killed, I'm not that sadistic, I just play one on the internet.  I would probably draw the line at rapists, those who have tortured others, and some murderers - crimes where there was willful and wanton pain inflicted.  People who can't be rehabilitated - and I don't think everyone can be, some people are just too broken to be fixed.  "Crimes of Passion" would probably not be considered.

I'd guess maybe 10%, but they wouldn't be the kinds of people that would be missed.  I joke about The Sun Cannon because I realize it's completely irrational.  My honest opinion:  There are lots of fucked up people, but most of them aren't naturally deviant, there is usually some external stimulus that causes someone to be detrimental to society.  My parents weren't the brightest people in terms of schoolastic intelligence, but they understood living within means, budgeting, parenting, and being good social citizens.  Results:  Worst thing they, my sister, or I ever got was speeding tickets.  They struggled to stay off welfare, but we weren't living it up.  We lived in a one bedroom apartment until I was 12.  That's four people sleeping in the same room for eight years because that's what they could afford.  No cable TV or other nice luxories until my dad got a promotion and we were able to move out.  They didn't resort to crime to get by.  Unfortunately not everyone has my parents resolve, morals, and common sense.  My mom wasn't spitting out children left and right.  There were two of us and my dad worked two jobs so my mom could stay home and raise us without having to worry about going hungry.  When I harp about dumb people, I don't mean people who are scholastically dumb, I'm talking about people who are socially dumb, like the guy who fathered 30 children to 11 different mothers and then asked the government for child support help because the only job he's qualified for is minimum wage (link: https://wreg.com/2012/05/16/tn-man-fathers-30-kids-but-cant-support-any/).  The mothers are part of the equation too.  That's just one example.  There are tons of examples of people who just don't get it.  The rules of a functioning society are amazingly simple, but it seems fewer people seem to grasp them every year.  I don't think I'm better than people because of my degrees, SAT scores, or IQ; it's the things that seem so simple that piss me off about other people.  Things that were largely common sense, before everyone felt entitled to everything and were largely shielded from consequences.  I'm not anti-social programs either.  But the cycle of poverty can be broken, but right now it seems as if people aren't willing to make the sacrifices for themselves or their children to have brighter futures, and at the same time make decisions that outright harm others.

The #1 on your list is in your sights, the only problem is El Barto is currently cleaning the front of the sun cannon. You will never get another chance, it's either fire now or he stays on the planet unharmed, what do you?

I wouldn't trade an innocent life for one that isn't, period.  Not firing.

Offline Dr. DTVT

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #390 on: May 24, 2012, 11:04:08 PM »
What do you to to keep active and on-top-of-things?

I exercise mentally all the time.  I read a lot, usually chemistry, science, sports, or other non-fiction.  I play games that require decision making and dealing with unknown elements - backgammon and poker in particular because there are consequences for poor play - but I also enjoy games like Settlers of Catan, Dominion, and Magic: The Gathering, although I've largely slinked away from Magic because of the monitary commitment needed to be a top player.

Shoe size?

10.5 extra wide.

You have to eliminate one of the following elements (1, 2, 6, 7, 8) from future use, which do you choose? This means that all normal functions of the atom and molecules that go on naturally can continue, but you can't use the chosen element for experiments and research in the future.

Kind of a weird question, but it's chemistry, so why not.

Helium.  While there are some properties of helium that make it nice for things like gas chromatoghaphy, nitrogen gas can replace it for most applications, and if light gas is required, hydrogen gas will usually work for most applications.

Offline JayOctavarium

• I used to be a whorejerk
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • But then I took a Hef to the knee...
« Reply #391 on: May 24, 2012, 11:15:55 PM »

Shoe size?

10.5 extra wide.

Well shit... same here. I don't need wide all the time... depends on the shoe but... now I know who to still shoes from in the case of an Apocalypse
I just don't understand what they were trying to achieve with any part of the song, either individually or as a whole. You know what? It's the Platypus of Dream Theater songs. That bill doesn't go with that tail, or that strange little furry body, or those webbed feet, and oh god why does it have venomous spurs!? And then you find out it lays eggs too. The difference is that the Platypus is somehow functional despite being a crazy mishmash or leftover animal pieces

-BlobVanDam on "Scarred"

Offline Dr. DTVT

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #392 on: May 24, 2012, 11:23:12 PM »
Well, if you need to come to the east coast for shoes you might have some other problems to deal with  :lol

The wide part sucks.  I have my own bowling shoes because of it, but I went to a climbing gym and they didn't have wide shoes, so my feet got crushed to the point they actually cramped up.

Offline robwebster

« Reply #393 on: May 25, 2012, 05:04:55 AM »

El Barto did kill that boy, though.

Offline Nick

• A doctor.
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #394 on: May 25, 2012, 07:22:44 AM »

And he shouldn't a did that, was just a boy.

Offline El Barto

• Rascal Atheistic Pig
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Bad Craziness
« Reply #395 on: May 25, 2012, 01:00:46 PM »

I'm confused.  Which one are y'all referring to?
Argument, the presentation of reasonable views, never makes headway against conviction, and conviction takes no part in argument because it knows.
E.F. Benson

Offline Nick

• A doctor.
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #396 on: May 25, 2012, 01:41:37 PM »
I was just making a South Park joke.

Offline robwebster

« Reply #397 on: May 25, 2012, 01:47:13 PM »

I'm confused.  Which one are y'all referring to?
The third one, the one they found out about.

Offline Scorpion

• Unreal Heir
  • DTF.org Member
  • Ragnarök around the Clöck!
« Reply #398 on: May 25, 2012, 01:51:01 PM »
I'm really interested in chemistry, but many people have told me that the actual studies at university have almost nothing to do with what you do at school and that many people that like chemistry at school completely hated them and vice cersea. Can you confirm that?
scorpion is my favorite deathcore lobster
Hey, the length is fine :azn: Thanks!

Offline Dr. DTVT

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #399 on: May 25, 2012, 09:38:05 PM »
I'm really interested in chemistry, but many people have told me that the actual studies at university have almost nothing to do with what you do at school and that many people that like chemistry at school completely hated them and vice cersea. Can you confirm that?

Are you asking if college chemistry is different than high school chemistry?  I'll answer that question, but if you meant something else or just want to follow up feel free to elaborate here or by PM.

High school chemistry, as I remember it from 1996, covers a lot of the basics that you will be taught in a freshman level general chemistry course.  I enjoyed chemistry in high school and for the most part in college (Physical chemistry is a very dry and challenging course), but in retrospect general chemistry can be the most boring course because it is a lot of fundamentals that lay the basis for all the really cool stuff later.  If you like chemistry now, you should like it more, although because college level chemistry is taught in higher detail, between being more difficult and covering some of the same material in HS, I can see where some people get turned off by it in college.  But if you stick with it, all the really cool stuff lies ahead.

Offline El Barto

• Rascal Atheistic Pig
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Bad Craziness
« Reply #400 on: May 25, 2012, 10:05:30 PM »
Just how much math is involved with what you do?  Everything I remember about HS chemistry concerns math I was completely incapable of doing.  I can't fathom a death fitting enough for that cocksucker Avagadro after what he put me through.  I understand that it's required to be able to do this sort of stuff, but is it actually something you do on a regular basis?
Argument, the presentation of reasonable views, never makes headway against conviction, and conviction takes no part in argument because it knows.
E.F. Benson

Offline Dr. DTVT

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #401 on: May 25, 2012, 11:43:21 PM »
Just how much math is involved with what you do?  Everything I remember about HS chemistry concerns math I was completely incapable of doing.  I can't fathom a death fitting enough for that cocksucker Avagadro after what he put me through.  I understand that it's required to be able to do this sort of stuff, but is it actually something you do on a regular basis?

Almost all the math I personally do is simple multiply/divide to figure out how many moles of a reagent I am using, then how much of another reagent I need.  Synthetic chemistry is really just the simple math.  Physical chemistry is where you need calculus, vector math, linear algebra, Fourier Transform, and other complex stuff a lot, but even most of that is done by computer now.  When I took Physical Chemistry of Polymers (graduate level course), I had to learn to solve all that shit by hand and it sucked monkey balls.  Thankfully now all I do is submit my sample to the technician, he runs the light scattering, SAXS, or WAXS, and the computer processes the information, gives me a plot of the data and I can say, "I have gyroidal microphase separation in this copolymer", or whatever the data tells me, which is really what 99% of other polymer chemists will care about anyway.

Like I said in response to Tick, a lot of my research I could have a high school graduate do.  Weigh out reagents, do some simple math, set up a reflux apparatus, and some basic knowledge of electronics and plumbing.  You just need the courses to understand what you would be doing.

Offline lonestar

• DTF Executive Chef
  • Official DTF Tour Guide
  • Silly Hatted Knife Chucker
« Reply #402 on: May 26, 2012, 01:56:03 AM »
You get to go back in time and ask one person one yes/no question, what person, what question?

Offline Scorpion

• Unreal Heir
  • DTF.org Member
  • Ragnarök around the Clöck!
« Reply #403 on: May 26, 2012, 02:44:36 AM »

Are you asking if college chemistry is different than high school chemistry?  I'll answer that question, but if you meant something else or just want to follow up feel free to elaborate here or by PM.

High school chemistry, as I remember it from 1996, covers a lot of the basics that you will be taught in a freshman level general chemistry course.  I enjoyed chemistry in high school and for the most part in college (Physical chemistry is a very dry and challenging course), but in retrospect general chemistry can be the most boring course because it is a lot of fundamentals that lay the basis for all the really cool stuff later.  If you like chemistry now, you should like it more, although because college level chemistry is taught in higher detail, between being more difficult and covering some of the same material in HS, I can see where some people get turned off by it in college.  But if you stick with it, all the really cool stuff lies ahead.

Thanks for that. It does support me in what I initially wanted to do, to stick to chemistry, but it never hurts to hear someone else's opinion.
 :tup
scorpion is my favorite deathcore lobster
Hey, the length is fine :azn: Thanks!

Offline Dr. DTVT

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #404 on: May 28, 2012, 09:48:36 AM »
You get to go back in time and ask one person one yes/no question, what person, what question?

I'd ask my late friend Mike if there was anything I could do to stop him from killing himself.

Offline Sir GuitarCozmo

• Official Forum Sous Chef and broler5
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Kelly Clarkson BEEFS
« Reply #405 on: May 28, 2012, 10:26:50 AM »
Technically, it IS Monday, so Antigoon is up.  I forgot all about it.

Offline jingle.boy

• I'm so ronery; so sad and ronery
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • DTF's resident deceased dictator
Re: The Ask antigoon Thread (page 12)
« Reply #406 on: May 28, 2012, 10:28:32 AM »
When are you going to start your Roulette?
What's the best thing that's happened to you in 2012?
That's a word salad - and take it from me, I know word salad
I fear for the day when something happens on the right that is SO nuts that even Stadler says "That's crazy".
Quote from: Puppies_On_Acid
Remember the mark of a great vocalist is if TAC hates them with a special passion

Offline Gadough

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #407 on: May 28, 2012, 10:45:29 AM »
Have you ever considered a career as a tailor?
Gadough isn't Hitler. He's much, much worse.

Offline Nick

• A doctor.
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #408 on: May 28, 2012, 11:52:42 AM »
What's the best wacky/nonsensical old law still on the books that you've ever heard of?

Offline Sigz

• BLOOD FOR THE BLOOD GOD
  • DTF.org Member
  • THRONES FOR THE THRONE SKULL
« Reply #409 on: May 28, 2012, 11:54:58 AM »
What kind of law stuff are you interested in?
The world is a stage, but the play is badly cast.

Offline MasterShakezula

• Owes H $10
« Reply #410 on: May 28, 2012, 12:57:18 PM »
If you needed the cash, would you gun to ambulancE chasing?

Offline SomeoneLikeHim

• The flame is gone
  • The fire remains
« Reply #411 on: May 28, 2012, 02:30:27 PM »
I just started nightmare. Level 32 wizard. Really fun game but I suspect i wont make it much further than nightmare. Diablo kicked my ass a couple of times even on normal.
"We can walk our road together, if our goals are all the same
We can run alone and free, if we pursue a different aim"

Offline AcidLameLTE

• Nae deal pal
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #412 on: May 28, 2012, 02:50:43 PM »
Well done.

Anyway, are you ever going to finish your house on Minecraft?

Offline antigoon

• Not Elvis
  • DT.net Veteran
  • This was a triumph.
« Reply #413 on: May 28, 2012, 07:55:34 PM »
When are you going to start your Roulette?
What's the best thing that's happened to you in 2012?
1. I'm not sure what the right way to go about starting a roulette on hold is. I suppose I'm more or less ready, though.
2. I received my grades from my first semester of law school. 2 As and an A-.

Have you ever considered a career as a tailor?
:lol No. I like style and looking good (sometimes) but I don't know a lick about actually making clothes. There are, however, a few suiting companies who operate completely online that I think would be fun to work for. You get yourself measured by a tailor or a friend, and you send the company your measurements along with what kind of suit you want and they make it for you. Doing it for the next suit I buy.
(www.blacklapel.com; www.indochino.com)
What's the best wacky/nonsensical old law still on the books that you've ever heard of?
We actually don't learn much funny stuff like that in law school. Or, at least, we haven't yet.
What kind of law stuff are you interested in?
Civil liberties and constitutional law. I'm really looking forward to taking intellectual property and copyright courses next year, too. When I graduate I'd like to clerk for a judge for a few years.
If you needed the cash, would you gun to ambulancE chasing?
Given the current legal jobs market, I feel like I can't be too picky.
Well done.
Anyway, are you ever going to finish your house on Minecraft?
Yeah, I'm just hooked on Diablo 3 right now. Shit that game is fun.

Offline skydivingninja

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #414 on: May 28, 2012, 10:15:13 PM »
Given that you are a fan of Gordon Ramsay, have you cooked any of his dishes, and if so, which one was your favorite?

Offline lonestar

• DTF Executive Chef
  • Official DTF Tour Guide
  • Silly Hatted Knife Chucker
« Reply #415 on: May 29, 2012, 01:16:53 AM »
If there is one moment in history you could go be a part of, what would it be?

Offline antigoon

• Not Elvis
  • DT.net Veteran
  • This was a triumph.
« Reply #416 on: May 30, 2012, 05:09:13 PM »
Given that you are a fan of Gordon Ramsay, have you cooked any of his dishes, and if so, which one was your favorite?
I have! He had a really simple one in his book that I have. It's a squiggly pasta dish with sausage, sundried tomatoes, and olives. Yum city USA.
If there is one moment in history you could go be a part of, what would it be?
The American Revolution because FUCK YEAH AMERICA THAT'S WHY. I would love to have attended the Constitutional Conventions.

Offline lateralus88

• The Official DTF Stanley Kubrick Fanboi
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • I stabbed Euronymous because he drank my PBR
« Reply #417 on: May 30, 2012, 05:12:37 PM »
Seriously, how are you so fucking awesome? Seriously.
I felt its length in quite a few places.

Awesome Majesty Pendant Club: Member #3

Offline Gadough

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #418 on: May 30, 2012, 05:14:34 PM »
yeah man wtf share some awesome for the rest of us you fucking asshole
Gadough isn't Hitler. He's much, much worse.

Offline MasterShakezula

• Owes H $10
« Reply #419 on: May 30, 2012, 05:40:48 PM »
If you were a baby boomer and were drafted for Vietnam, would you have dodged, or would you have done your military crap and stuff?

How about the same situation, except WWII?

WWI?