Author Topic: Devin Townsend v. Do You Feel Like A Bit Of Fun?  (Read 251755 times)

Offline Shadow Ninja 2.0

• Heir Transparent
  • Transcribing Existence Rivets
Re: Devin Townsend v. Coolness on the horizon
« Reply #2205 on: June 17, 2014, 02:08:19 AM »
So, does anyone know if the 2-disc version will be made available for those who didn't pledge, or are we just out of luck?

Offline adace

« Reply #2206 on: June 19, 2014, 12:44:55 AM »
acoustic version of Hyperdrive: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VDQh9ODiFgI

Offline TioJorge

• Constantly Contorting
  • Ashes to ashes, fun to funky.
« Reply #2207 on: June 19, 2014, 01:06:47 AM »
God damn that's gorgeous. I like it more than the Retinal Circus version since there's no noisy crowd.

DTP says "WOW, LOOK AT THAT GREAT POST"
RIP DTP.

Offline Konrad

• hi
  • RECYCLE!!! RECYCLE!!!
« Reply #2208 on: June 22, 2014, 04:32:07 PM »
Does anybody know if Casualties' guitars are Open C or Standard? halp pl0x

Offline Shadow Ninja 2.0

• Heir Transparent
  • Transcribing Existence Rivets
« Reply #2209 on: June 22, 2014, 04:37:36 PM »
I would assume Open C, simply because Devin has said he can barely play in standard any more.

Offline Onno

• Well, it's just entertainment, folks!
« Reply #2210 on: June 23, 2014, 02:22:11 AM »
Wow, Devin just retweeted a pic of me and my dad recording our vocals for the Z2 Univeral Choir :D

Offline ZKX-2099

• The Drifting Drifter
« Reply #2211 on: June 23, 2014, 06:35:40 AM »
Nice ponytail.

Offline Metro

• DTF Resident Sloth
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Random Access Sloth
« Reply #2212 on: June 23, 2014, 07:13:57 AM »
I would assume Open C, simply because Devin has said he can barely play in standard any more.

For the most part, the songs are in Open C, but I've noodled around and found several riffs in standard as well.

Offline Onno

« Reply #2213 on: June 23, 2014, 04:18:04 PM »

Offline Konrad

• hi
  • RECYCLE!!! RECYCLE!!!
« Reply #2214 on: June 23, 2014, 09:38:53 PM »

I would too, but im not sure... I also didn't notice many sounds below E.

For the most part, the songs are in Open C, but I've noodled around and found several riffs in standard as well.
Which riffs are these?

Online Sacul

• Spinettapilled
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • ¿De qué sirvió haber cruzado a nado la mar?
« Reply #2215 on: June 25, 2014, 08:10:23 PM »
Will leave this by here.

Offline PolarizeMe

« Reply #2216 on: June 25, 2014, 08:29:47 PM »

Offline ZKX-2099

• The Drifting Drifter
« Reply #2217 on: June 27, 2014, 02:44:41 PM »
Doesn't even involve the finest bean...

Offline Onno

« Reply #2218 on: June 27, 2014, 04:12:59 PM »
Doesn't even involve the finest bean...
Of course not, that's still hidden.

Offline ZKX-2099

• The Drifting Drifter
« Reply #2219 on: June 27, 2014, 04:50:11 PM »
Oh they know where it is... they know.

Offline Scorpion

• Unreal Heir
  • DTF.org Member
  • Ragnarök around the Clöck!
« Reply #2220 on: June 27, 2014, 05:38:36 PM »
Probably (like, 98.5% certain) seeing Devin in Berlin on the 7th of August!

I IZ EXCITED
scorpion is my favorite deathcore lobster
Hey, the length is fine :azn: Thanks!

Offline Onno

« Reply #2221 on: June 28, 2014, 12:23:46 AM »
Probably (like, 98.5% certain) seeing Devin in Berlin on the 7th of August!

I IZ EXCITED
:tup
I'm seeing him on the 5th in Utrecht :D

Oh they know where it is... they know.
Maybe that's what Z2 is about...

Offline PolarizeMe

« Reply #2222 on: June 30, 2014, 11:53:29 AM »
I just received an eMail from Devy's record label regarding the Z2 Universal Choir. They told me the tracks I submitted appears to be good enough to be used on the actual album.  :metal

Offline Onno

« Reply #2223 on: June 30, 2014, 12:33:52 PM »
Got a similar mail :D

Offline Scard

• Custom Title
  • RORORO
« Reply #2224 on: July 01, 2014, 01:28:53 AM »
Got a similar mail :D

Oh no! Was I that bad? I haven't received an email and I submitted over a week ago!

Offline Onno

« Reply #2225 on: July 01, 2014, 01:46:24 AM »
Just wait, they'll probably send you an email later!

Offline Cruithne

« Reply #2226 on: July 01, 2014, 02:00:05 AM »
Oh no! Was I that bad? I haven't received an email and I submitted over a week ago!

I submitted mine around about the 17th and haven't received anything other than the legal docs automated mail - no response, automated or otherwise, to the legal docs scans I sent.

I may be no Devin, but I'm quite certain there's nothing wrong with my singing. I could see them rejecting two out of the four files I submitted if they didn't want the harmonies (that are in Devin's original files... I didn't make up my own) all in one mix, but the other two are a single voice and I should think would be fine.

They have said that there were roughly 1300 submissions so it is a lot to wade through, but I will be sad if my parts aren't used without so much as a "Sorry, but thanks for trying" email.

Offline WebRaider

• Like What You Like, People...
« Reply #2227 on: July 07, 2014, 05:42:31 PM »
Devin Townsend ‏@dvntownsend 3m

So hey! April 13, 2015... We're going to do a 'Ziltoid musical' at the Royal Albert Hall! ...indeeeed! :)

;D

Offline TioJorge

• Constantly Contorting
« Reply #2228 on: July 15, 2014, 05:08:24 PM »
Holy shit I just got my bone-usb in and it's fucking incredible, I did not expect this! (I actually completely forgot I had gotten this) The actual item is pretty simple, still awesome, but the extras on the actual drive are super sexy secrets. It's got a few pledge-exclusive tracks that I didn't know existed. Just for kicks and wondering of actual exclusivity, I searched the nets and googled galore'd and found nothing. So this is pretty boner-inducing for me. Pic of my bone:

Here's the tracks, for anyone interested, exactly as listed, and there's a document with this explanation from Devy (I'm gonna pretend he wrote it himself...which is entirely possible given the level of awesomeness of the man):

"The original sequence of the main Casualties album was to include 'GONE IS GONE' before Broken, but couldn’t because of the length limitations of a standard CD.

There are the following four songs, in a new sequence with crossfades and extra ambience etc that you can insert into media player to replace Forgive Me - Broken – Bones

09) FORGIVE ME (Alternate Sequence)
10) GONE IS GONE (Alternate Sequence)
11) BROKEN (Alternate Sequence)
12) BONES (Alternate Sequence)

Enjoy!"

:omg: :metal
Then there are the two extras:

Cold Feet (Pledge Exclusive Demo Track) (3:39 track time)
THING (Pledge Exclusive Demo Track) (6:43 track time, feels like hyperbolic time chamber on acid)
CoC DISK 1 COMMENTARY (1:15:13 track time  :eek )
CoC DISK 2 COMMENTARY (1:05:05)

I've heard the two new tracks once each but I need to meditate more. I haven't yet sat down with the commentary but I'm gonna do that later when I have time. Okay...I'm gonna do my best to explain these, and I assure you this isn't just the excitement but even upon first listen...these are two of my favorite Devy tracks, especially THING; both are so different and I can't imagine why they didn't make it onto the actual bonus disc but perhaps he'll make them available later for a compilation or new edition. They don't even sound like demos, they are very refined and have as many layers and turns as the songs on the album. Give me some more time with them and I'll come back with a play-by-play if anyone is interested. Oh yeah, it also came with a bunch of extremely huge, high-res images of different promo images of Devy and Che'. Some I've seen before but not at this quality, and there's a few I haven't seen. They are now my wallpapers because sexy.

Ed:
THING is perhaps, in moments, heavier than anything on Decon (not the song in it's entirety, but it's latter half)....

Holy fucking hell. It starts off sounding like an ocean in outer space..like a space-country version of a song on Biomech; the beginning chants, in the lowest actual singing (without any growling) I've heard from the guy, he meditatively repeats with elongated annunciations "I know, the mind it goes away". It slowly ascends into another kind of higher-pitched...almost elated chant, still ever ominous and oddly dark, the only thing elated are the vocals, the guitars begin to get heavier. As it progresses you notice this is much more Devy-present and there's ZERO Che' in the song, it feels very classic but with the production of CoC. As it kicks up there's continual overlapping of looped guitars in the devy way and it gets very epic when there's this odd repeating vocal sound, and Dev starts singing in a high pitched, almost operatic voice. As it gets to the heaviest part of the album's entirety and bonuses and b-sides BY FAR (arguably of the whole project with obvious exception to guest spots on Decon), it begins to get heavier in the operatic singing (or even newer, it sounds like some of the singing shown on the youtube videos for Z2). It's an epic near 7 minutes that feels like a journey through different parts of the DTP. There are a few repeating lines, played backwards, and with a low chime and with a heavy whisper he says "My sicknesses grow" and...SYL kicks in, Devy grunts and with the most down-tuned guitar playing I've heard on DTP, this industrial beat hits you over the penis head with this absolutely churning, chugging beat until the heavy, (oldschool)Akerfeldt-growls kick in with a line of more chants that sound like Devy is summoning Satan, I can't even decipher the words yet and... abruptly ends. It is by far and away my favorite track from anything out of CoC and perhaps Decon. It's absolutely amazing.

Cold Feet sounds like it fits more into line with the first, main disc, wedged somewhere between a slower-paced, Devy-present Daddy, with the initial grooves of a more melodic The Code..it's got Devy singing pretty dreamily throughout at a...well I know shit about notes and singing, but he's very 'level' throughout. Musically it's very even keel and 'singular' when compared to THING's robust changes. I can almost picture where it'd fit in the album but Ulti would probably be better at figuring that out than I.  :D It's very pretty sounding and is one of my favorites in the CoC collection, definitely one of my favorites if it were on Disc 1.
« Last Edit: July 15, 2014, 08:36:07 PM by TioJorge »

RIP DTP.

Offline WebRaider

• Like What You Like, People...
« Reply #2229 on: July 15, 2014, 05:47:02 PM »
Holy shit I just got my bone-usb in and it's fucking incredible, I did not expect this! (I actually completely forgot I had gotten this) The actual item is pretty simple, still awesome, but the extras on the actual drive are super sexy secrets. It's got a bunch of pledge-exclusive tracks that I didn't know existed. Just for kicks and wondering of actual exclusivity, I searched the nets and googled galore'd and found nothing. So this is pretty boner-inducing for me. Pic of my bone:

Here's the tracks, for anyone interested, exactly as listed, and there's a document with this explanation from Devy (I'm gonna pretend he wrote it himself...which is entirely possible given the level of awesomeness of the man):

"The original sequence of the main Casualties album was to include 'GONE IS GONE' before Broken, but couldn’t because of the length limitations of a standard CD.

There are the following four songs, in a new sequence with crossfades and extra ambience etc that you can insert into media player to replace Forgive Me - Broken – Bones

09) FORGIVE ME (Alternate Sequence)
10) GONE IS GONE (Alternate Sequence)
11) BROKEN (Alternate Sequence)
12) BONES (Alternate Sequence)

Enjoy!"

:omg: :metal
Then there are the two extras:

Cold Feet (Pledge Exclusive Demo Track) (3:39 track time)
THING (Pledge Exclusive Demo Track) (6:43 track time, feels like hyperbolic time chamber on acid)
CoC DISK 1 COMMENTARY (1:15:13 track time  :eek )

I've heard the two new tracks once each but I need to meditate more. I haven't yet sat down with the commentary but I'm gonna do that later when I have time. Okay...I'm gonna do my best to explain these, and I assure you this isn't just the excitement but even upon first listen...these are two of my favorite Devy tracks, especially THING; both are so different and I can't imagine why they didn't make it onto the actual bonus disc but perhaps he'll make them available later for a compilation or new edition. They don't even sound like demos, they are very refined and have as many layers and turns as the songs on the album. Give me some more time with them and I'll come back with a play-by-play if anyone is interested. Oh yeah, it also came with a bunch of extremely huge, high-res images of different promo images of Devy and Che'. Some I've seen before but not at this quality, and there's a few I haven't seen. They are now my wallpapers because sexy.

Very cool! Thanks for the report on that and I'd love to hear more.

Offline TioJorge

• Constantly Contorting
« Reply #2230 on: July 15, 2014, 05:56:47 PM »
 :tup :tup Just edited with as good an explanation as I could give for THING and am still going over Cold Feet but sadly have to run out for a bit so I'll update more later. It's incredible how absolutely polar opposite THING is to absolutely anything else in CoC and I have no idea how this came out of the project at all.  :rollin :lol But am glad about that fact.  :metal

RIP DTP.

Offline seasonsinthesky

• roo)))m noise
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2231 on: July 15, 2014, 08:12:52 PM »
there's also a commentary track for disc 2! it's great. he's more tired in that one though :P

Offline TioJorge

• Constantly Contorting
« Reply #2232 on: July 15, 2014, 08:28:07 PM »
there's also a commentary track for disc 2! it's great. he's more tired in that one though :P

Ah right, forgot to put that down. Still haven't gotten around to listening to 'em, but I'll have to in a bit. I forgot how many of these they made, I wonder how long it'll be before it starts making the rounds on the net? For as much as I dislike piracy now, I'm excited for when this is made commercial and/or leaks (which is inevitable) so the masses can hear the magnificence of THING.  :metal
« Last Edit: July 15, 2014, 08:34:50 PM by TioJorge »

RIP DTP.

Online Ben_Jamin

• I'm just a man, thrown into existence by the gods
« Reply #2233 on: July 15, 2014, 08:54:29 PM »
I'm guessing this will be included in the boxset,  which I don't expect to be here until the holidays.
I don't know how they can be so proud of winning with them odds. - Little Big Man
Follow my Spotify:BjamminD

Offline TioJorge

• Constantly Contorting
« Reply #2234 on: July 15, 2014, 09:07:06 PM »
Man I wish I could've gotten the box set... I'd assume that too, but it didn't really state what it comes with and many of the extras don't include into others as you pledge more. Pics when it arrives, please!

RIP DTP.

Online Ben_Jamin

« Reply #2235 on: July 15, 2014, 09:51:13 PM »
I'll do my best...

This is what they said so far:
The Fan Box set is still a bit of an issue unfortunately. With only 200 on order it’s a big problem finding a good package and a manufacturer who wants to take on such a low order (usually the very minimum they do is a 1000 units). We’re now thinking of a really nice handcrafted wooden box with the logo & title burned onto the lid (maybe numbered but not sure if that’s possible yet) that holds several items such as the 2CD, the USB stick but also some cool wooden sunglasses with logo burned onto its temples, lenticular print postcards and a thank you note from Dev himself. We’re waiting to get prices back for all these items and if they’re good we can add one or two more items, TBC. We may not make the July 14th fulfilment date on these but we hope you understand that these things simply take time. Either way, buyers will definitely have something exclusive in their hands when done.
I don't know how they can be so proud of winning with them odds. - Little Big Man

Offline TioJorge

• Constantly Contorting
« Reply #2236 on: July 15, 2014, 09:59:48 PM »
Ah nice! Damn that sounds awesome. I'm hoping he'll have some awesome stuff for Z2, but we're getting so much with that album already that I just wanna hear it!

RIP DTP.

Online Ben_Jamin

« Reply #2237 on: July 15, 2014, 10:07:24 PM »
As long as the USB stick was included I'm happy. But if they do the wooden box thing then that'd be awesome.

Offline TioJorge

• Constantly Contorting
« Reply #2238 on: July 15, 2014, 10:22:50 PM »
Listening to the commentary....so fucking awesome. "The second time I brought Matia-...hang on I gotta'nother sip'a coffee...*slurping sounds of coffee*"  :lol

RIP DTP.

Offline TioJorge

• Constantly Contorting
« Reply #2239 on: July 16, 2014, 01:36:33 PM »
I am more than sure this has been brought up before and I just haven't seen it, but I just noticed that the end flute on Heart Baby has a quick progression of notes right out of Ocarina of Time's opening menu theme. I mean, almost exactly the same. It's pretty awesome.  :azn:

RIP DTP.