Author Topic: MTV in the 80s Song of the Day  (Read 313112 times)

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
Re: MTV in the 80s Song of the Day
« Reply #3220 on: May 24, 2013, 09:32:46 AM »
I figured I'd be in the minority on this one. :lol

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #3221 on: May 24, 2013, 12:05:58 PM »
Paul McCartney - Spies Like Us

Ah, another song I completely forgot about until seeing it recently on Totally 80s. :lol  It seems like quite the oddball song for McCartney, as the song structure is rather unconventional, but it kind of works; it is oddly catchy.  The video was quite entertaining, too, featuring Chevy Chase and Dan Aykroyd (the stars of the movie of the same name). 

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
« Reply #3222 on: May 24, 2013, 12:25:36 PM »
Well, I just never liked INXS at all, so no point in making the effort to try to remember how that particular song does. 

I have no recollection of Spies Like Us.
"The Supreme Court of the United States has descended from the disciplined legal reasoning of John Marshall and Joseph Story to the mystical aphorisms of the fortune cookie."

Offline jingle.boy

• I'm so ronery; so sad and ronery
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • DTF's resident deceased dictator
« Reply #3223 on: May 25, 2013, 04:51:05 AM »
I recall it.  It was one of the first things I did with my dad after my parents split up - seeing that movie.  Don't really remember it, but I do recall the song.  Haven't heard it in eons, but it was a funky little tune.
That's a word salad - and take it from me, I know word salad
I fear for the day when something happens on the right that is SO nuts that even Stadler says "That's crazy".
Quote from: Puppies_On_Acid
Remember the mark of a great vocalist is if TAC hates them with a special passion

Offline masterthes

« Reply #3224 on: May 25, 2013, 07:02:47 AM »
As far as the INXS tune goes, very groovy song. I like it

Will have to get back to you about Paul's song, although I remember the movie

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #3225 on: May 25, 2013, 01:28:35 PM »
Tony Carey - A Fine, Fine Day

A friend played this song for me the other day and I was like, "OMG, I totally forgot about that song!"  Checking out the video, it sort of looks familiar, but I cannot remember how often MTV played it.  Fairly catchy song, one that I will have to throw on my 80s playlist to see how well it fits in.

Offline Jaq

• Favorite song by Europe: Carrie.
« Reply #3226 on: May 25, 2013, 01:32:14 PM »
I have no memory of this song. Nor the video.  :lol
The bones of beasts and the bones of kings become dust in the wake of the hymn.
Mighty kingdoms rise, but they all will fall, no more than a breath on the wind.

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #3227 on: May 25, 2013, 01:46:43 PM »
Haha, I thought that, too, when he mentioned the name of the song, but as soon as it started playing, it all started coming back to me and the chorus was kicking back into my subconscious before the song even got to it.

Offline jingle.boy

• I'm so ronery; so sad and ronery
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • DTF's resident deceased dictator
« Reply #3228 on: May 25, 2013, 01:50:41 PM »
I have no memory of this song. Nor the video.  :lol

wat he sed
That's a word salad - and take it from me, I know word salad
I fear for the day when something happens on the right that is SO nuts that even Stadler says "That's crazy".
Quote from: Puppies_On_Acid
Remember the mark of a great vocalist is if TAC hates them with a special passion

Offline King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Take that Beethoven, you deaf bastard!!
« Reply #3229 on: May 25, 2013, 07:14:39 PM »
I had to youtube it and I also never heard this song!
I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down'.” - Bob Newhart
So wait, we're spelling it wrong and king is spelling it right? What is going on here? :lol -- BlobVanDam
"Oh, I am definitely a jackass!" - TAC

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #3230 on: May 26, 2013, 12:02:31 AM »
Alrighythen, on to something a bit more familiar:

Billy Joel - Tell Her About It

Another one of Joel's awesomely fun 80s videos.  I have said before that Billy Joel was the 70s star who did the best job of taking advantage of the video explosion of the 80s without compromising or selling out at all.  He just kept doing his thing, and started making great videos to boot, and Tell Her About It is another great one.  The Ed Sullivan Show angle was great, and the Rodney Dangerfield bit was fantastic as well.  Great song and video!  :coolio

Offline masterthes

« Reply #3231 on: May 26, 2013, 09:56:12 AM »
Can't add anything more than that. Completely agreed

Offline DebraKadabra

• Witch Goddess of Lankershim Boulevard
  • DTF.org Member
  • Can I be as my god am?
« Reply #3232 on: May 26, 2013, 10:32:22 PM »
Paul McCartney - Spies Like Us

Cute song, funny vid from what I remember.

Tony Carey - A Fine, Fine Day

Who?

Billy Joel - Tell Her About It

One of his better 80s songs, for sure.

Offline Jaq

« Reply #3233 on: May 27, 2013, 12:09:32 AM »
Billy Joel in the early 80s especially did pull off the neat trick of remaining pretty much the artist he was in the 70s while adapting to the music video, image heavy era of the 80s with ease. There were some that updated themselves for the decade nicely-ZZ Top comes to mind-and some that more or less re-invented themselves (Bruce Springsteen went from the guy who wrote sprawling epics about the American Dream to a guy cranking out jingoistic claptrap, yeah, I don't like Born in the USA much)-but Billy Joel was just Billy Joel, with music videos. A neat trick.
Mighty kingdoms rise, but they all will fall, no more than a breath on the wind.

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #3234 on: May 27, 2013, 05:13:12 AM »
Never was a fan of Billy Joel.
Everyone else, except Wolfking is wrong.

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #3235 on: May 27, 2013, 11:41:23 AM »
David Bowie - Modern Love

Fun, catchy song, and the video, while enjoyable, was kind of strange to me at first, as I hadn't quite figured out how "out there" David Bowie could get, so his appearance being fairly different from those in Let's Dance and China Girl threw me at first.  And when the Blue Jean video came out a year or two later, there was no doubt anymore as to Bowie's weirdness. :lol

Offline Jaq

« Reply #3236 on: May 27, 2013, 11:48:08 AM »
The height, the sheer height, of David Bowie the pop superstar. I always liked how the chorus, lyrically, was a series of apparent tangents that gradually made their way back around to the start. David Bowie has a reputation for being weird and all about re-inventing himself every ten minutes, but the man's a damn clever songwriter, and rarely gets credit for that.

Offline DebraKadabra

• DTF.org Member
  • Can I be as my god am?
« Reply #3237 on: May 27, 2013, 04:32:35 PM »
Modern Love is AWESOME.  LOVE that song. :heart :heart :heart :heart

Offline masterthes

« Reply #3238 on: May 27, 2013, 05:43:04 PM »
My favorite song off of Let's Dance

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #3239 on: May 28, 2013, 08:01:37 AM »
The height, the sheer height, of David Bowie the pop superstar. I always liked how the chorus, lyrically, was a series of apparent tangents that gradually made their way back around to the start. David Bowie has a reputation for being weird and all about re-inventing himself every ten minutes, but the man's a damn clever songwriter, and rarely gets credit for that.

So true. :hat

Offline ZirconBlue

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #3240 on: May 28, 2013, 01:09:22 PM »
(Bruce Springsteen went from the guy who wrote sprawling epics about the American Dream to a guy cranking out jingoistic claptrap, yeah, I don't like Born in the USA much)

I don't like Springsteen at all, but I think you misunderstood the point of the song.

Lyrically, the song deals with the negative effects of the Vietnam War on Americans, but is often misunderstood to be a patriotic or nationalistic anthem.

Offline Jaq

« Reply #3241 on: May 28, 2013, 05:39:30 PM »
No, I didn't. Compared to what Springsteen used to do-saying the same sort of message with far better songwriting-Born in the USA is jinogistic claptrap. Yes I know what it's about, and how idiots thought it was about something it wasn't, especially Ronald Reagan's campaign managers. But compared to what he was CAPABLE of...claptrap.

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #3242 on: May 28, 2013, 05:45:21 PM »
Modern Love is one of my fav Bowie songs.
« Last Edit: May 29, 2013, 06:12:39 AM by wolfking »
Everyone else, except Wolfking is wrong.

Offline T-ski

« Reply #3243 on: May 29, 2013, 12:16:12 AM »
When "Modern Love" was released, I knew nothing of David Bowie other than "Let's Dance".  I couldn't believe it was the same guy singing both songs.

Both songs are great.
Is all that we see or seem, but a dream within a dream?

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #3244 on: May 29, 2013, 07:53:25 AM »
The Power Station - Some Like It Hot

Decent song, but one that never appealed to me.  Every time I hear it, I think of the parody lyric a friend of mine used to do for it: "Some like it hot, so I microwave my cock and balls!" :lol :lol

Offline Sir GuitarCozmo

• Official Forum Sous Chef and broler5
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Kelly Clarkson BEEFS
« Reply #3245 on: May 29, 2013, 08:36:36 AM »
Modern Love was a damn good Bowie tune.  VERY catchy.  Also it was a VERY long time before I realized that SRV did the guitar on Let's Dance.

Some Like it Hot = meh.

Offline Jaq

« Reply #3246 on: May 29, 2013, 08:39:58 AM »
This album's sound pretty much was the blueprint for the rest of Robert Palmer's career, and damn near killed Duran Duran stone dead. My enduring memory of the Power Station wasn't this song, or even their cover of  Get It On (Bang A Gong), but, rather, their somewhat hapless appearance at Live Aid. For whatever reason, Robert Palmer wasn't able to make it, so they brought in Michael Des Barres to replace him, and to say it was a mess would be an understatement. (Actually, a LOT of Live Aid was a mess, but people tend to remember the glorious bits like Queen's set.) The way he sang Get It On was particularly hilarious, with his voice oddly warbling on the chorus. "Get itttttttttt onnnnnnnnnnnn, Bannngggggggg a gongggggggggggg"-it sounded like he was sitting in a car driving over a bumpy road and singing at the same time.  :lol

This was around the same time that New Coke came out, and failed miserably. I was out one summer night with the usual gang of misfits I ran around with, and one of them had made some rum and coke with New Coke, and we were really less than impressed with it. The New Coke. The rum we were just fine with. The Power Station came on the radio, and I started ragging on their dreadful performance at Live Aid, and imitated how Des Barres had mangled the chorus of Get It On. One of my friends then came up with the brain wave that given how shitty New Coke was, perhaps the Des Barres led Power Station could do commercial jingles for Coke, and sang a sample. "Coke is itttttttttttttttttttt, it's the shitttttttttttttttttttttt, Coke is ittttttttttttttttttttt!"

Ruined a perfectly good shirt, knowing the time likely pastel colored, spitting out my shitty New Coke and rum at that one.  :lol

Offline Big Hath

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #3247 on: May 29, 2013, 09:24:05 AM »
I will forever associate this song with Rusty's dance club fantasy in European Vacation
Winger would be better!

. . . and if you gaze into the abyss, the abyss gazes also into you.

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #3248 on: May 29, 2013, 09:26:54 AM »
This album's sound pretty much was the blueprint for the rest of Robert Palmer's career, and damn near killed Duran Duran stone dead. My enduring memory of the Power Station wasn't this song, or even their cover of  Get It On (Bang A Gong), but, rather, their somewhat hapless appearance at Live Aid. For whatever reason, Robert Palmer wasn't able to make it, so they brought in Michael Des Barres to replace him, and to say it was a mess would be an understatement. (Actually, a LOT of Live Aid was a mess, but people tend to remember the glorious bits like Queen's set.) The way he sang Get It On was particularly hilarious, with his voice oddly warbling on the chorus. "Get itttttttttt onnnnnnnnnnnn, Bannngggggggg a gongggggggggggg"-it sounded like he was sitting in a car driving over a bumpy road and singing at the same time.  :lol

This was around the same time that New Coke came out, and failed miserably. I was out one summer night with the usual gang of misfits I ran around with, and one of them had made some rum and coke with New Coke, and we were really less than impressed with it. The New Coke. The rum we were just fine with. The Power Station came on the radio, and I started ragging on their dreadful performance at Live Aid, and imitated how Des Barres had mangled the chorus of Get It On. One of my friends then came up with the brain wave that given how shitty New Coke was, perhaps the Des Barres led Power Station could do commercial jingles for Coke, and sang a sample. "Coke is itttttttttttttttttttt, it's the shitttttttttttttttttttttt, Coke is ittttttttttttttttttttt!"

Ruined a perfectly good shirt, knowing the time likely pastel colored, spitting out my shitty New Coke and rum at that one.  :lol

Stellar, as always! :lol :lol :tup :tup

I will forever associate this song with Rusty's dance club fantasy in European Vacation

I don't remember that, but then again, I never liked European Vacation that much.  As awesome as the original Vacation and Christmas Vacation are, European is very much of a dog.

Offline DebraKadabra

• DTF.org Member
  • Can I be as my god am?
« Reply #3249 on: May 29, 2013, 12:22:55 PM »

Well, I'm apparently the aberration today - I still really dig this one, MUCH more so than Palmer's solo stuff and some of 80s Duran Duran. :dunno:

Offline ZirconBlue

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #3250 on: May 29, 2013, 02:34:52 PM »
No, I didn't. Compared to what Springsteen used to do-saying the same sort of message with far better songwriting-Born in the USA is jinogistic claptrap. Yes I know what it's about, and how idiots thought it was about something it wasn't, especially Ronald Reagan's campaign managers. But compared to what he was CAPABLE of...claptrap.

Call it "claptrap" all you want.  I don't care for the song (or Springsteen in general), but, it's clearly not jingoistic. 

Offline Cool Chris

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #3251 on: May 29, 2013, 03:47:39 PM »
I liked this song when it was out, though I can't imagine listening to it today.

I do recall it from European Vacation (once someone mentioned it), and isn't it in "It's a Trap" when Lando tells Wedge to shoot the Power Station in the middle of the Death Star?
"Nostalgia is just the ability to forget the things that sucked" - Nelson DeMille, 'Up Country'

Offline King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #3252 on: May 29, 2013, 04:29:41 PM »

Decent song, but one that never appealed to me.  Every time I hear it, I think of the parody lyric a friend of mine used to do for it: "Some like it hot, so I microwave my cock and balls!" :lol :lol

I loved that album.  I also have the second CD that they released 10 years after and it's a rocker.  I love it.
I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down'.” - Bob Newhart
So wait, we're spelling it wrong and king is spelling it right? What is going on here? :lol -- BlobVanDam

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #3253 on: May 30, 2013, 02:00:40 PM »
Debbie Gibson - Shake Your Love

This pretty much sounds like your standard 80s pop hit.  Catchy enough to have been a hit at the time, but while not awful, not much staying power. 

Offline King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #3254 on: May 30, 2013, 03:23:39 PM »
Her looks have passed the test of time.  Her music on the other hand.......