Author Topic: MTV in the 80s Song of the Day  (Read 308404 times)

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
Re: MTV in the 80s Song of the Day
« Reply #2765 on: March 27, 2013, 12:45:19 PM »
Haha, yeah, that video would definitely have a different connotation if released nowadays.

As for Mutt Lange, he was married to Shania Twain for like 17 years, so he has lived a good life. :lol :coolio

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #2766 on: March 28, 2013, 11:57:26 AM »
Ratt - Way Cool Jr.

Out all of the Ratt songs that were popular and had videos in the 80s, this was favorite back then; I loved this when it came out.  Sadly, my love for it has greatly dissipated, but my guess is hearing so much music since then that influenced it (see: Judas Priest) made me realize how average this band really was.

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
« Reply #2767 on: March 28, 2013, 12:11:26 PM »
Ratt

:rollin

Nice.  In terms of the song, yeah, these guys wrote some really cool riffs.  I liked them a lot when I was in H.S., and then they just kind of fell by the wayside.  Couple of years ago, I picked up a greatest hits for $10, popped it in the car stereo, and had virtually the same reaction for every single song:
1.  Listen for about 30-45 seconds.
2.  "Yeah...I remember liking this back then...cool riff, but..."
3.  Listen another 30 seconds or so.
4.  "Man, I actually thought this was good back then?"
5.  Hit skip button.

Some catchy vocal hooks, creative riffing, and cool soloing.  But in terms of good songs, there is just no substance there.  It's kinda like eating Peeps at Easter.  When you are a kid, they are amazing.  Then you eventually get to an age where you can't stomach them anymore and actually get grossed out by them for being so over the top sugary emptiness.  Ratt are the Peeps of music.  Way Cool Junior would be the interesting looking and somewhat rare blue Peeps.
"The Supreme Court of the United States has descended from the disciplined legal reasoning of John Marshall and Joseph Story to the mystical aphorisms of the fortune cookie."

Offline DebraKadabra

• Witch Goddess of Lankershim Boulevard
  • DTF.org Member
  • Can I be as my god am?
« Reply #2768 on: March 28, 2013, 12:14:56 PM »
Stryper - Always There for You

No.

Huey Lewis & the News - Do You Believe in Love

Good song - always loved the vocal harmonies on this one.

Ratt - Way Cool Jr.

Anything much past their first three albums is dodgy at best.  It was okay back in the day, but... I suspect it hasn't aged too well. :lol

Some catchy vocal hooks, creative riffing, and cool soloing.  But in terms of good songs, there is just no substance there.  It's kinda like eating Peeps at Easter.  When you are a kid, they are amazing.  Then you eventually get to an age where you can't stomach them anymore and actually get grossed out by them for being so over the top sugary emptiness.  Ratt are the Peeps of music.  Way Cool Junior would be the interesting looking and somewhat rare blue Peeps.

:metalol:

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #2769 on: March 28, 2013, 12:15:50 PM »
Haha, that is a great way to put it, bosk.  Any Ratt song that ends up on my 80 CDs usually gets skipped over pretty quickly, even the ones I really liked back in the day (Round and Round, Wanted Man, Dance, Slip of the Lip and Way Cool Jr.).

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
« Reply #2770 on: March 28, 2013, 12:28:08 PM »
Kev, forgive me for going a bit off topic, but given the audience in this thread, I figure this is as good a place as any to get relevant responses.  So, here's the deal.  My "band" (a group of us that get together casually to play every now and then and have had a handful over VERY low-key "gigs") is booked to play two hours or so of music at an outdoor cycling fundraiser at the beginnig of May (the Tour de Cure Diabetes ride, to be specific).  We played it last year, and it was cool.  Basically, we are providing background music and entertainment for a couple of hours for the families hanging out and eating lunch, and for the cyclists who are finishing their race.  Problem is, our drummer bailed, so we have having to re-shuffle the band around, which means having to scratch some songs from the list and learn some newer, easier ones to fill in.  For me, growing up on MTV, '80s MTV songs are my wheelhouse. 

So here's what I'm asking for:  Can you guys quickly give me some suggestions for songs you think would be appropriate for the crowd, catchy and recognizable, and fairly straightforward and easy to learn?  As far as instruments, we have drums, bass, guitar, and me on vox.  (one of our guitarists is moving over to fill in on drums, and we may be able to bring in a backup guitarist to fill in on the second guitar spot, but the guy who is now doing drums is somewhat limited in the drumming dept.)  So nothing overly keyboard heavy, or at least that can't have the keyboard part played on guitar, which is basically what we are doing with Just What I Needed (the Cars).

Suggestions?

To give a flavor of some of the stuff we are already doing:  Wanted Dead Or Alive (Bon Jovi), Still Rock And Roll To Me (Billy Joel), Back In The USSR (the Beatles), Purple Haze, a couple of Tom Petty tunes, etc.  I was thinking about maybe adding a Huey Lewis song--just trying to think of the best one that isn't too keyboard or horn heavy.  But '80s is mostly where it's at.  What do you guys suggest?
"The Supreme Court of the United States has descended from the disciplined legal reasoning of John Marshall and Joseph Story to the mystical aphorisms of the fortune cookie."

Offline DebraKadabra

• DTF.org Member
  • Can I be as my god am?
« Reply #2771 on: March 28, 2013, 12:36:06 PM »
I'd say "Heart of Rock and Roll", but that's horn-heavy.

Offline Sir GuitarCozmo

• Official Forum Sous Chef and broler5
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Kelly Clarkson BEEFS
« Reply #2772 on: March 28, 2013, 12:36:50 PM »
PM Sent

Online jingle.boy

• I'm so ronery; so sad and ronery
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • DTF's resident deceased dictator
« Reply #2773 on: March 29, 2013, 05:54:44 AM »
PM Sent

And that's probably all that Bosk needs.  I could offer some thoughts, but have no idea whether they are hard/easy to learn and play.
That's a word salad - and take it from me, I know word salad
I fear for the day when something happens on the right that is SO nuts that even Stadler says "That's crazy".
Quote from: Puppies_On_Acid
Remember the mark of a great vocalist is if TAC hates them with a special passion

Offline Sir GuitarCozmo

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Kelly Clarkson BEEFS
« Reply #2774 on: March 29, 2013, 07:51:28 AM »
You could say it's just what he needed.

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
« Reply #2775 on: March 29, 2013, 09:17:10 AM »
Nah, I needed someone to feed.

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #2776 on: March 29, 2013, 09:47:37 AM »
I think Hip to Be Square would be a good pick.  It has keyboards in it, but you could easily make it work with just guitar.  And it is upbeat and familiar enough to get people moving.

Offline King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Take that Beethoven, you deaf bastard!!
« Reply #2777 on: March 29, 2013, 10:17:28 AM »
Eddie Money -- Shakin
The Knack -- My Sharona
Foreinger - Hot Blooded
Kiss -- Love Gun
VH -- Everybody Wants Some
I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down'.” - Bob Newhart
So wait, we're spelling it wrong and king is spelling it right? What is going on here? :lol -- BlobVanDam
"Oh, I am definitely a jackass!" - TAC

Online jingle.boy

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2778 on: March 30, 2013, 05:23:39 AM »
Eddie Money -- Shakin
The Knack -- My Sharona
Foreinger - Hot Blooded
Kiss -- Love Gun
VH -- Everybody Wants Some

dude... I love that song.  Had the vinyl.  Quality fro on that one guy.  And I almost considered submitting it to Nem for her roulette!!!!  :lolpalm:

Ok, here are my decent childhood rock memories:

Bob Seger - Shakedown
Dexy's Midnight Runners and the Emerald Express - Come on Eileen
John Cafferty - On The Dark Side
Kenny Loggins - Danger Zone
Kenny Rogers - The Gambler

:derail:
I fear for the day when something happens on the right that is SO nuts that even Stadler says "That's crazy".
Remember the mark of a great vocalist is if TAC hates them with a special passion

Offline King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2779 on: March 30, 2013, 07:04:13 AM »
I have the album on my I-Pod.  It still rocks.  It really does.
I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down'.” - Bob Newhart
So wait, we're spelling it wrong and king is spelling it right? What is going on here? :lol -- BlobVanDam

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #2780 on: March 30, 2013, 10:13:25 AM »
Jane Wiedlin - Rush Hour

By far the biggest hit the Go-Go's guitarist and main songwriter had as a solo artist.  I like it; it is oddly catchy, despite her chipmunk-like voice, which was normally better for background vocals rather than lead (or doing a bridge, like in The Go-Go's Our Lips Are Sealed).  Silly video, too, featuring her swimming around with dolphins.  I think this song is off the radar now for even most 80s fans, but I remembered it when it came time to assemble my ultimate 80s collection of tunes. :tup :tup

Offline DebraKadabra

• DTF.org Member
  • Can I be as my god am?
« Reply #2781 on: March 30, 2013, 09:37:49 PM »
Didn't remember that one, so I pulled up the YT vid for it - didn't make it past about a minute or so.  WAY too cheesy.

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #2782 on: March 31, 2013, 12:17:29 PM »
Living Colour - Cult of Personality

Cool song.  I liked it a lot when it first came out, but it kind of wore off of me pretty quickly for whatever reason.  However, it's had a bit of resurgence with me since wrestler CM Punk has been using it as his entrance theme for the last year and a half.  Very much of a  :metal song.

Offline Cool Chris

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2783 on: March 31, 2013, 12:56:03 PM »
Never liked this song, and for whatever reason, prefer when wrestlers don't use popular songs for their entrances. But, not a bad song, just one I never care to listen to.
"Nostalgia is just the ability to forget the things that sucked" - Nelson DeMille, 'Up Country'

Offline Jaq

• Favorite song by Europe: Carrie.
« Reply #2784 on: March 31, 2013, 01:48:04 PM »
I loved Living Color's debut album. I bought it on New Year's Eve the year it came out and it was the album blasting when the clock hit midnight. Living Color should have been a lot bigger for a lot longer, but they kind of fell on their faces with their second album. They had huge crossover appeal and an audience that didn't really judge them in terms of race (well, to be fair, no one I knew who liked them did) but after their second album they just kind of faded away. Never really could figure out why.
The bones of beasts and the bones of kings become dust in the wake of the hymn.
Mighty kingdoms rise, but they all will fall, no more than a breath on the wind.

Offline Orbert

• Recovering Musician
  • EZBoard Elder
  • In and around the lake
« Reply #2785 on: March 31, 2013, 04:26:53 PM »
I like the song.  The guitarist has a great, crunchy tone, the singer is awesome, but somehow I was never motivated to check out the band any further.

Offline King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2786 on: March 31, 2013, 05:24:31 PM »
My brother and I saw Middle Man video on all things 120 Minutes show on Sunday nights.  I had to order the CD because no place had it around here.  So I play the CD at a party and none of my friends really say anything and then a few months later, "Cult" comes out and all the same friend try to talk to me about it.  "You hear that awesome song?!"

I tell them, yeah, 2 months ago when you all ignored it when I tried playing it for you. :lol

Offline DebraKadabra

• DTF.org Member
  • Can I be as my god am?
« Reply #2787 on: March 31, 2013, 06:26:37 PM »
Living Colour - Cult of Personality

Always loved this one.

Offline BlobVanDam

• Future Boy
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Transform and rock out!
« Reply #2788 on: March 31, 2013, 08:41:35 PM »
I quite like this song, especially how it mixes it up with the little bars of 3/4 during the riff, and the pre-chorus of the 3/4 riff over a 4/4 drum beat. The guitar solo is absolutely horrid though.
Only King could mis-spell a LETTER.
Yep. I think the only party in the MP/DT situation that hasn't moved on is DTF.

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #2789 on: March 31, 2013, 10:33:09 PM »
My brother and I saw Middle Man video on all things 120 Minutes show on Sunday nights.  I had to order the CD because no place had it around here.  So I play the CD at a party and none of my friends really say anything and then a few months later, "Cult" comes out and all the same friend try to talk to me about it.  "You hear that awesome song?!"

I tell them, yeah, 2 months ago when you all ignored it when I tried playing it for you. :lol

I have experienced that several times before, too. :lol :lol

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
« Reply #2790 on: April 01, 2013, 09:07:25 AM »
I like the song.  The guitarist has a great, crunchy tone, the singer is awesome, but somehow I was never motivated to check out the band any further.

Pretty much this. 

Offline Sir GuitarCozmo

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Kelly Clarkson BEEFS
« Reply #2791 on: April 01, 2013, 11:11:40 AM »
In Guitar Magazine's December 2004 issue, they had a joke article - The 100 Worst Riffs, Licks, and Solos of All Time.  They went through and took beloved solos and just roasted on them, poking fun and generally being mean for the humor in it.  For each one, it listed the artist, the song, the album, the year, and the guitarist.  Each one had little icons to indicate what sucked about it.  There were about 10 of them - things like "lazy", boring", and (among other things) "Involves C.C. DeVille".  The entire article can be found HERE.  Cult of Personality came in at #61:

61. LIVING COLOUR
“Cult of Personality”
Vivid (1988)
GUITARIST:Vernon Reid

Vernon Reid shows us what it would sound like if you tried to play a solo with a boat motor.

That said, I love this song.  Absolutely killer.

Online jingle.boy

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2792 on: April 01, 2013, 11:44:15 AM »
The entire article can be found HERE

Some of these are brilliant - the comments, not the solo's.

Offline Sir GuitarCozmo

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Kelly Clarkson BEEFS
« Reply #2793 on: April 01, 2013, 12:04:33 PM »
Despite their harshness, some of them are right on.  What sucks is that in the original article, there were little sidebars that they didn't reprint online.  One was about the live version of "Freebird", noting that if their sound was known as the "triple guitar attack", then this song was the equivalent of the slaughter at Gettysburg.  Great stuff.

Offline DebraKadabra

• DTF.org Member
  • Can I be as my god am?
« Reply #2794 on: April 01, 2013, 12:19:39 PM »
Quote from: Guitar World
In this plodding, lethargic remake of the Guess Who hit, Lenny Kravitz sucks all the bounce and air out of Randy Bachman’s classic riff like a vampire performing cunnilingus on a blow-up doll. If songs could give out restraining orders, Kravitz would be forced to stay away from everything recorded between 1960 and 1979.

:rollin :rollin :rollin :rollin :rollin

Offline Sir GuitarCozmo

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Kelly Clarkson BEEFS
« Reply #2795 on: April 01, 2013, 12:26:48 PM »
Yeah, sorry for the derailment.  Maybe I should make a separate thread for that particular article.  :lol

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #2796 on: April 01, 2013, 12:33:09 PM »
Okay, I hate to break up the party, but a song as awesome as the one I gonna feature here demands out full attention...

Wham! - Wake Me Up Before You Go-Go

:lol :lol

This song is just for you, Orbert.  Enjoy. :biggrin: :biggrin: :biggrin:

Offline Sir GuitarCozmo

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Kelly Clarkson BEEFS
« Reply #2797 on: April 01, 2013, 12:38:10 PM »
Wham! is the sound of the door slamming on Orbert's way out of this thread.

Offline Orbert

• Recovering Musician
  • EZBoard Elder
  • In and around the lake
« Reply #2798 on: April 01, 2013, 12:56:55 PM »
I'll just say that when George Michael "came out" it was a surprise to no one who had ever heard this song.

Quote from: Guitar World
In this plodding, lethargic remake of the Guess Who hit, Lenny Kravitz sucks all the bounce and air out of Randy Bachman’s classic riff like a vampire performing cunnilingus on a blow-up doll. If songs could give out restraining orders, Kravitz would be forced to stay away from everything recorded between 1960 and 1979.

:rollin :rollin :rollin :rollin :rollin

Love it.  Even without the song title, I know exactly which song they're talking about, and I agree 100%.

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #2799 on: April 01, 2013, 12:57:40 PM »
I'll just say that when George Michael "came out" it was a surprise to no one who had ever heard this song.

Or seen the video.