Author Topic: MTV in the 80s Song of the Day  (Read 313063 times)

Offline DebraKadabra

• Witch Goddess of Lankershim Boulevard
  • DTF.org Member
  • Can I be as my god am?
Re: MTV in the 80s Song of the Day
« Reply #2625 on: March 10, 2013, 04:20:38 AM »
U2 - Sunday Bloody Sunday

MTV played the shit out of the live Red Rocks version, so this, to me, is still the definitive version of the song.  I never heard the studio version till years later, and while it is very good as well, nothing beats that Red Rocks live version.  Oh look, there I go again liking the version I heard first the best. ;) :lol  But really, a lot of U2 songs were good in the studio and great live, so Sunday Bloody Sunday is just one of many.

Love the live version/the song for the very same reason. :hifive:

Offline masterthes

« Reply #2626 on: March 10, 2013, 09:18:59 AM »
Never heard the live version, but a great old school U2 song nevertheless

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #2627 on: March 10, 2013, 09:32:43 AM »
Wrong thread.
« Last Edit: March 10, 2013, 11:01:28 AM by KevShmev »

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #2628 on: March 11, 2013, 10:32:51 AM »
Yes - Love Will Find a Way

Really enjoyable tune; one of the best on Big Generator, which, thanks in large part to the success of this song, was actually nominated for a grammy for Best Rock Performance by a Duo or Group with Vocal. :eek :eek  I am sure this is one of those songs that old school Yes fans (see: ones who scoff at everything they did with Trevor Rabin) dog on a regular basis, but this really is a damn fine song.  I guess I was fortunate at the time to still be ignorant to anything Yes had done, aside from the 90125 hits, so I wasn't predisposed to hate anything they did that wasn't full-on prog.

Offline Orbert

• Recovering Musician
  • EZBoard Elder
  • In and around the lake
« Reply #2629 on: March 11, 2013, 11:24:36 AM »
There's a lot of truth in what you say about old-school Yesfans hating on the Rabin-era stuff.  It's weird, though.  A lot of them just seem to hate it because it's not prog, and they don't need a better reason than that.  But prog fans often have very diverse and eclectic tastes, so there's no reason for any type of music to be written off.

Anyway, I'm not even sure which group I fall into.  During my Yes Discography thing, I gained a greater appreciation for each of the different phases of Yes, but I think my problem is that I just don't like most of Rabin's music.  It has nothing to do with whether or not it's Yes.

Offline DebraKadabra

• DTF.org Member
  • Can I be as my god am?
« Reply #2630 on: March 11, 2013, 11:49:54 AM »
Yes - Love Will Find a Way

Haven't heard this one in quite a while, but I remember liking Big Generator when it came out.

Offline Jaq

• Favorite song by Europe: Carrie.
« Reply #2631 on: March 11, 2013, 12:07:11 PM »
I knew about old Yes and still had no problem with Big Generator. It amazes me how close minded and conservative fans of progressive rock can be sometimes; they want the genre to stay locked forever in the year 1973 or so.   :lol
The bones of beasts and the bones of kings become dust in the wake of the hymn.
Mighty kingdoms rise, but they all will fall, no more than a breath on the wind.

Offline DebraKadabra

• DTF.org Member
  • Can I be as my god am?
« Reply #2632 on: March 11, 2013, 12:10:16 PM »
:hifive:

Offline King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Take that Beethoven, you deaf bastard!!
« Reply #2633 on: March 11, 2013, 06:39:59 PM »
I remember how long it took Yes to record that album.  My second favorite song on the album.  First being Final Eyes.
I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down'.” - Bob Newhart
So wait, we're spelling it wrong and king is spelling it right? What is going on here? :lol -- BlobVanDam
"Oh, I am definitely a jackass!" - TAC

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #2634 on: March 12, 2013, 09:29:00 AM »
Tom Petty & the Heartbreakers - You Got Lucky

This video was played a ton back in 1982, and I definitely liked it a lot; this was a song and video I never turned off.  It is still a darn good song, and although the video looks a little hokey and dated now, I still get a kick out of it on the rare occasions when I see it, in large part thanks to the nostalgia that kicks in.  :coolio

Offline Jaq

« Reply #2635 on: March 12, 2013, 12:20:55 PM »
Tom Petty's "welcome to the synthesizer era!" album. This is pretty much the only song I remember off of it, because my memory of the entire album was it was kind of pedestrian by Tom Petty's standards. I know there would have been other singles, and likely other videos, but I can't remember them.
Mighty kingdoms rise, but they all will fall, no more than a breath on the wind.

Offline King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2636 on: March 12, 2013, 12:26:42 PM »
That video was huge!  You could not turn on MTV in the day without seeing that video playing.
I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down'.” - Bob Newhart
So wait, we're spelling it wrong and king is spelling it right? What is going on here? :lol -- BlobVanDam

Offline Orbert

• Recovering Musician
  • EZBoard Elder
  • In and around the lake
« Reply #2637 on: March 12, 2013, 01:36:19 PM »
We used to laugh at Tom Petty's videos, "Refugee" and the other early, crappy ones.  So when this one came out, we agreed that is was pretty cool, and excellent for Tom Petty.  Some of us were sci-fi geeks, which helped.  I like how the atmospheric low synth effect at the beginning (before the song starts, while they're still investigating) is actually the hook line, two octaves down.  Didn't notice that until a later viewing, probably like an hour later.

By the way, I tend to speak of "we" and "us" a lot when I think of these 80's videos because the early 80's is when I lived in a house with five other guys, basically the band I was playing in plus a few hangers-on.  We spent literally countless hours together watching MTV, smoking non-tobacco, and laughing about the songs while at the same time trying to figure out which ones we needed to learn.

Offline masterthes

« Reply #2638 on: March 12, 2013, 02:27:03 PM »
The song is alright, but yeah, the video was pretty cool for it's day

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #2639 on: March 13, 2013, 08:47:07 AM »
We used to laugh at Tom Petty's videos, "Refugee" and the other early, crappy ones.  So when this one came out, we agreed that is was pretty cool, and excellent for Tom Petty.  Some of us were sci-fi geeks, which helped.  I like how the atmospheric low synth effect at the beginning (before the song starts, while they're still investigating) is actually the hook line, two octaves down. Didn't notice that until a later viewing, probably like an hour later.

By the way, I tend to speak of "we" and "us" a lot when I think of these 80's videos because the early 80's is when I lived in a house with five other guys, basically the band I was playing in plus a few hangers-on.  We spent literally countless hours together watching MTV, smoking non-tobacco, and laughing about the songs while at the same time trying to figure out which ones we needed to learn.

I always thought that was really cool, too!  Good call. :tup :tup

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #2640 on: March 13, 2013, 08:52:03 AM »
Heart - There's the Girl

This was the least successful of Heart's three top 40 hits from the Bad Animals record, but I always thought it was easily the best of the three (although I understand why the other two were bigger hits, especially the ballad, Alone). There is just something about this song that I really love.  I love the verses, and the way they transition into the chorus is very cool.  Plus, it's neat that a Nancy Wilson lead vocal resulted in another hit (like These Dreams).

Offline Jaq

« Reply #2641 on: March 13, 2013, 09:16:24 AM »
I barely remember this song, and probably wouldn't have if you hadn't mentioned Nancy sang it.   :lol

Offline masterthes

« Reply #2642 on: March 13, 2013, 09:23:31 AM »
I never knew Nancy sang These Dreams. I'll have to check this song out later after work

Offline Orbert

• Recovering Musician
  • EZBoard Elder
  • In and around the lake
« Reply #2643 on: March 13, 2013, 10:27:09 AM »
By time Heart got to Bad Animals, it already felt to me like this was a comeback of sorts.  I know that that's not really fair, but their 70's albums were so strong, it was like they hit the 80's and stumbled big time, actually fell down, then had to work their way back.  I didn't follow the band closely enough to know that Roger Fisher left during the Bebe le Strange sessions, but in retrospect, it makes perfect sense.  They lost something there.  And I lost most of the early 80's, so I missed out on whatever Heart did during that time.

I have this CD and have played it a few times, but it just doesn't satisfy like the first album, or any of the other early albums.  Those were all killer albums.  Bad Animals isn't horrible or anything, but it just doesn't kick my ass like the 70's albums did.

Offline King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2644 on: March 13, 2013, 10:41:46 AM »
I barely remember this song, and probably wouldn't have if you hadn't mentioned Nancy sang it.   :lol

Jaq man, that damn video was all over MTV!!!!  You couldn't miss it! :lol

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #2645 on: March 13, 2013, 11:36:53 AM »
BTW, this thread will be one year old tomorrow. :eek

I have been saving a personal favorite of mine for the occasion. :coolio

Offline DebraKadabra

• DTF.org Member
  • Can I be as my god am?
« Reply #2646 on: March 13, 2013, 12:23:03 PM »
Tom Petty & the Heartbreakers - You Got Lucky

Good song, crap video. :lol

Heart - There's the Girl

Don't remember this one.

I never knew Nancy sang These Dreams.

WAT :omg:

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #2647 on: March 13, 2013, 02:02:41 PM »

I never knew Nancy sang These Dreams.

WAT :omg:

Did you never see the video?  Because if you have, it makes it pretty clear that Nancy sings the lead vocal.

Offline DebraKadabra

• DTF.org Member
  • Can I be as my god am?
« Reply #2648 on: March 13, 2013, 07:12:20 PM »
 :lol  You misunderstood my post there, Mister Shmev - I wasn't saying "WAT" about Nancy singing These Dreams (knew that back in the day).  I was saying that because of masterthes's post. :lol

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #2649 on: March 13, 2013, 10:32:24 PM »
Okay then, my post was directed at masterthes. :biggrin: :P

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #2650 on: March 13, 2013, 11:39:19 PM »
Time to celebrate one year of this thread with what is probably my favorite video of the 80s and one of my all-time favorite songs:

U2 - All I Want Is You

I am gonna use what I wrote about this song when it was number 1 on my U2 top 50 two years ago:

This is my number 1 U2 song by a pretty wide distance.  This is the song that made U2 my favorite band for about a two-year stretch (from '88-'90, until I discovered Pink Floyd, and then Rush in '91).  If I had to make a list of my all-time favorite songs, this would be top 20, easily, and maybe even top 10.  It is that awesome.  Everything about this song is awesome.  And it has one of the coolest videos you will ever see, featuring a story about a little man who is in love with a trapeze artist who breaks his heart, and one where you see the band once, walking on the sand near the end of the song, for about three seconds.  The Edge's playing following the final vocal section, and before the beautiful outro, should be put in a time capsule for people centuries from now to hear; I am not sure I would even call that a solo, but my goodness, that is some of the most bad ass guitar playing you will ever hear.  This is the perfect U2 song.  This song is perfection.

Video: https://www.dailymotion.com/video/xj1ad_u2-all-i-want-is-you_music#.UUFhl451PHg

:hefdaddy :hefdaddy :hefdaddy :hefdaddy

Offline masterthes

« Reply #2651 on: March 14, 2013, 04:24:07 AM »
I probably haven't seen the video in years, so lay off lol

Anyway, U2, LOVE that song. So amazing!

Offline Jaq

« Reply #2652 on: March 14, 2013, 03:41:01 PM »
Damn, I was hoping the anniversary song would be one I had an epic story to tell, but Rattle and Hum was about when I started tuning out where U2 was concerned, which means I don't have much memory of this song at all.  :lol

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #2653 on: March 14, 2013, 04:12:55 PM »
Bummer. ;)

But here's another one for fun today:

A Flock of Seagulls - Space Age Love Song

I Ran is the song everyone thinks of when this band is mentioned, but many forget that they had two other pretty popular hits, this being one of them.  In some respects, I think this was the best of the three.  Hell, that lead guitar sound even influenced someone like Alex Lifeson!  Listen to the soaring lead in this song, and then go listen to Rush's Grace Under Pressure.  The influence is definitely there.

Offline Orbert

• Recovering Musician
  • EZBoard Elder
  • In and around the lake
« Reply #2654 on: March 14, 2013, 04:29:43 PM »
Fun song.  I have it and the other A Flock of Seagulls hits on my iPod, and when they come round on shuffle, I always have to look and see what they are because they all start with synthy, spacey stuff.  Then I remember I put them on because I thought the synthy, spacey stuff was cool.

Offline King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2655 on: March 14, 2013, 04:37:18 PM »
That was one of the U2 songs that I just thought it was ok.  They had such a better catalog than that song.

Space Age Love song was good but not great.  I wouldn't turn if off when it was on MTV but I ran was so much catchier.

Offline DebraKadabra

• DTF.org Member
  • Can I be as my god am?
« Reply #2656 on: March 14, 2013, 06:37:14 PM »
Emmm... yeah, not a big fan of the last two.  Sorry.

BUT--congrats on one year for this here thread! :metal

Offline T-ski

« Reply #2657 on: March 15, 2013, 12:20:40 AM »
"Space Age Love Song" is great.  I've always gone back and forth on my favorite FoS song between this one and "The More You Live, The More You Love".

Did anyone here know FoS won a Grammy for Best Rock Instrumental?  No really, they did.
Is all that we see or seem, but a dream within a dream?

Offline Orbert

• Recovering Musician
  • EZBoard Elder
  • In and around the lake
« Reply #2658 on: March 15, 2013, 07:11:10 AM »
Which tune?

Offline masterthes

« Reply #2659 on: March 15, 2013, 07:37:31 AM »
"D.N.A"