Author Topic: MTV in the 80s Song of the Day  (Read 308393 times)

Offline masterthes

Re: MTV in the 80s Song of the Day
« Reply #2590 on: March 06, 2013, 09:21:08 AM »
I like Sharp Dressed Man second only to Legs

Offline King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Take that Beethoven, you deaf bastard!!
« Reply #2591 on: March 06, 2013, 11:00:11 AM »
I was never big on ZZ Top.  I dig a few tunes here and there but it's just not my cup of tea. 

Funny story about a this album.  My friend had a funny theory (it was a joke) that there was only one song recorded and ZZ Top slowed it down to call it one song, played it backwards and called it another song.  Played the album on it's side to... well you get the point.  :lol
I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down'.” - Bob Newhart
So wait, we're spelling it wrong and king is spelling it right? What is going on here? :lol -- BlobVanDam
"Oh, I am definitely a jackass!" - TAC

Online Orbert

• Recovering Musician
  • EZBoard Elder
  • In and around the lake
« Reply #2592 on: March 06, 2013, 11:16:49 AM »
Yeah, once they got to the 80's and added synths to their sound, there was a certain "sameness" to a lot of their stuff.  But if you liked that sound, it worked.  It was catchy and fun, and still rocked.  Hey, it was the 80's; pretty much everything was formulaic.

Offline DebraKadabra

• Witch Goddess of Lankershim Boulevard
  • DTF.org Member
  • Can I be as my god am?
« Reply #2593 on: March 06, 2013, 12:29:14 PM »
The spelling and grammar nazi inside me feels ashamed. :facepalm: :lol

As well you should. :police: (JK :laugh: )

Talking Heads - Once in a Lifetime
YES.  Awesome song (not more awesome than Burning Down The House though). :heart

Journey - I'll Be Alright Without You
No.  Just... nope.

ZZ Top - Sharp Dressed Man
Good tune. :tup

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #2594 on: March 06, 2013, 02:30:55 PM »
Soft Cell - Tainted Love

I was never a fan of this song, but it seems to be one of those go-to songs when shows or movies want to feature 80s songs. Or maybe I am just imaging that. :lol All I know is that when I hear this song now, I think of the Friends episode where Danny DeVito was the stripper for Phoebe's bachelorette party. :eek :facepalm: :lol

Offline masterthes

« Reply #2595 on: March 06, 2013, 02:39:58 PM »
One of favorite one hit wonders. I actually have on my iPod the extended 8 minute version with their version of Where Did Our Love Go

Online Orbert

• Recovering Musician
  • EZBoard Elder
  • In and around the lake
« Reply #2596 on: March 06, 2013, 02:46:15 PM »
I always think of the movie Coneheads.  Weird movie.

Offline King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2597 on: March 06, 2013, 04:10:25 PM »
Two words to express my feelings for this song.........

Get away. :biggrin:
I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down'.” - Bob Newhart
So wait, we're spelling it wrong and king is spelling it right? What is going on here? :lol -- BlobVanDam

Offline Jaq

• Favorite song by Europe: Carrie.
« Reply #2598 on: March 06, 2013, 05:12:39 PM »

:lol
The bones of beasts and the bones of kings become dust in the wake of the hymn.
Mighty kingdoms rise, but they all will fall, no more than a breath on the wind.

Offline Cool Chris

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2599 on: March 06, 2013, 05:19:47 PM »
I completely dislike 'Once in a Lifetime' (I won't go as far as to say I hate it, but this is just one step away from that).

One of favorite one hit wonders. I actually have on my iPod the extended 8 minute version with their version of Where Did Our Love Go

I usually think of these 2 songs together myself, though I don't care as much for 'Where Did Our Love Go.' 'Tainted Love' is an awesome song. Definitely in my top 20 dance songs from the 80s.
"Nostalgia is just the ability to forget the things that sucked" - Nelson DeMille, 'Up Country'

Offline Bolsters

• Lost Boy
  • DTF.org Member
  • What a hell of a day to embrace disorder
« Reply #2600 on: March 06, 2013, 08:31:56 PM »
Being Australian and not that old in the 80's, I'm more familiar with a cover of this song that was played on the radio during the 90's by The Living End. I was all about ROCK and not much else back in my early teens, so I never really warmed up to the Soft Cell version or the original.

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2601 on: March 07, 2013, 04:22:47 AM »
Being Australian and not that old in the 80's, I'm more familiar with a cover of this song that was played on the radio during the 90's by The Living End. I was all about ROCK and not much else back in my early teens, so I never really warmed up to the Soft Cell version or the original.

I always knew the origial well, but when that cover came out, that was pretty special, love it more than the original.  Check it out;

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VxOpxeIJHBY
Everyone else, except Wolfking is wrong.

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #2602 on: March 07, 2013, 08:43:00 AM »
Janet Jackson - Nasty

I wasn't a big fan of this song when it was first out, but it wasn't one I would automatically turn off either; it was one I would occasionally enjoy.  Now, I never listen to it.  Even when in an 80s mood, if it comes on, I am skipping over it.  In other words, a song I never thought was that good has not aged well.

Offline King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2603 on: March 07, 2013, 08:47:30 AM »
Never was a Janet fan though I know many friends that love her.  Great performer but not my style of music.

Offline masterthes

« Reply #2604 on: March 07, 2013, 08:54:07 AM »
A very meh song indeed

Online Orbert

• Recovering Musician
  • EZBoard Elder
  • In and around the lake
« Reply #2605 on: March 07, 2013, 10:55:06 AM »
Great performer but not my style of music.

Offline DebraKadabra

• DTF.org Member
  • Can I be as my god am?
« Reply #2606 on: March 07, 2013, 12:24:07 PM »
Soft Cell - Tainted Love
Aw HELL naw.

Yep.

Janet Jackson - Nasty
This one didn't age well back in the day. :lol   Janet's had better hits than this (When I Think Of You is the first one to pop into my noggin).

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #2607 on: March 07, 2013, 01:47:07 PM »
And since we are getting some dreck out of the way today, I guess it's time to feature an artist that was too big in the 80s to not at least give one Song of the Day to...

Lionel Richie - All Night Long

This guy had a bunch of big hits in the 80s, and this was the one I can say I sort of liked (it had a catchy chorus, but the rest of it was pretty average, even by pop standards), so this is the one I am featuring. ;)

Online Orbert

• Recovering Musician
  • EZBoard Elder
  • In and around the lake
« Reply #2608 on: March 07, 2013, 01:53:41 PM »
Yeah, Lionel was pretty hot for a while, but I never really got into his solo stuff.  The Commodores were cool, though.

Best use of that particular song was the one-line quote in The Fifth Element.

Offline masterthes

« Reply #2609 on: March 07, 2013, 04:04:12 PM »
Great party song

Offline Jaq

« Reply #2610 on: March 07, 2013, 05:09:01 PM »
I went to school with a girl who legitimately, and without any subtext intended, thought this song was called All Nine Long.

When it hit her what her version of the song was suggesting, she turned the most amazing shade of red.  :rollin
Mighty kingdoms rise, but they all will fall, no more than a breath on the wind.

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #2611 on: March 07, 2013, 05:11:23 PM »
 :rollin :rollin :rollin

And, as always, Jaq, I thank you for your many contributions to this thread. :tup :tup

And everyone else, too, of course, but I think most of us would agree that Jaq's 80s stories are full of win. :coolio

Offline Jaq

« Reply #2612 on: March 07, 2013, 05:40:24 PM »
You're welcome.  :lol

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #2613 on: March 08, 2013, 08:56:35 AM »
Gotta get her out of the way here, too...

Whitney Houston - I Wanna Dance with Somebody

No thanks.  I know everyone used to salivate over her voice, but her songs never did anything for me, even back in the 80s.

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
« Reply #2614 on: March 08, 2013, 09:17:05 AM »
And since we are getting some dreck out of the way today, I guess it's time to feature an artist that was too big in the 80s to not at least give one Song of the Day to...

This guy had a bunch of big hits in the 80s, and this was the one I can say I sort of liked (it had a catchy chorus, but the rest of it was pretty average, even by pop standards), so this is the one I am featuring. ;)

Aw HELL naw.

I mean, it wasn't that bad, but it wasn't very good either.

Gotta get her out of the way here, too...

No thanks.  I know everyone used to salivate over her voice, but her songs never did anything for me, even back in the 80s.

Aw HELL naw.

Yeah, in all fairness, she really DID have an amazing voice.  But that doesn't mean her songs were enjoyable to listen to.  In case it hasn't already been said:

Aw HELL naw.
"The Supreme Court of the United States has descended from the disciplined legal reasoning of John Marshall and Joseph Story to the mystical aphorisms of the fortune cookie."

Offline masterthes

« Reply #2615 on: March 08, 2013, 09:18:41 AM »
I'll admit, I enjoy this song

Offline Jaq

« Reply #2616 on: March 08, 2013, 05:04:34 PM »
My best friend in high school came back from an aborted tenure at the Air Force Academy owning Whitney Houston's debut album. As his tastes were largely identical to mine, and I didn't much like her music, I wondered why he owned it. "Guy I knew at the Academy said owning it would help you with the ladies," was his answer.

"How'd that work out for you?" I asked.

He was quiet for a moment, then he said "shut the fuck up, man."  :lol

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
« Reply #2617 on: March 08, 2013, 05:32:46 PM »
:lol
"The Supreme Court of the United States has descended from the disciplined legal reasoning of John Marshall and Joseph Story to the mystical aphorisms of the fortune cookie."

Offline DebraKadabra

• DTF.org Member
  • Can I be as my god am?
« Reply #2618 on: March 08, 2013, 06:16:13 PM »

Decent song back in the day, but... it didn't age well at ALL. :lol

bosk stole what I was gonna post for this one. :laugh:

My best friend in high school came back from an aborted tenure at the Air Force Academy owning Whitney Houston's debut album. As his tastes were largely identical to mine, and I didn't much like her music, I wondered why he owned it. "Guy I knew at the Academy said owning it would help you with the ladies," was his answer.

Nice. :rollin

Offline King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2619 on: March 08, 2013, 08:06:39 PM »

In the 80's we all knew that answer. :lol

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #2620 on: March 09, 2013, 11:01:45 AM »

:lol :lol :lol

Okay, back to something good...

U2 - Sunday Bloody Sunday

MTV played the shit out of the live Red Rocks version, so this, to me, is still the definitive version of the song.  I never heard the studio version till years later, and while it is very good as well, nothing beats that Red Rocks live version.  Oh look, there I go again liking the version I heard first the best. ;) :lol  But really, a lot of U2 songs were good in the studio and great live, so Sunday Bloody Sunday is just one of many.

Offline Jaq

« Reply #2621 on: March 09, 2013, 11:08:18 AM »
I think almost everyone who wasn't a hardcore fan of U2 back then came to this song from the live version. I always found the studio version to be almost clunky in comparison, the live version had so much more energy.

Offline King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2622 on: March 09, 2013, 11:11:01 AM »
I recorded that Red Rocks show on Showtime before they made it into an MTV video.  It was a great show with so much energy.

Shout out to my parents for paying for cable when no one had it in the neighborhood. :lol

Online Orbert

• Recovering Musician
  • EZBoard Elder
  • In and around the lake
« Reply #2623 on: March 09, 2013, 03:35:44 PM »
I think almost everyone who wasn't a hardcore fan of U2 back then came to this song from the live version.

I don't know about that.  The studio version was all over the place, and is still the version that gets played on classic rock stations.  I think I've heard the live version maybe three or four times in 30 years.  I'm not a U2 fan, so it didn't sound much different to me.

Offline Jaq

« Reply #2624 on: March 09, 2013, 07:19:58 PM »
Back then, it was a different story. I don't think Sunday Bloody Sunday got much airplay UNTIL the live EP that this was on came out.

Of course, around 30 years have gone by and the studio version is all that gets played now. But back then, the live version was the one that got the most time.

Now I'm going off to sit in a corner and feel fucking OLD.  :lol