Author Topic: MTV in the 80s Song of the Day  (Read 313134 times)

Offline Orbert

• Recovering Musician
  • EZBoard Elder
  • In and around the lake
Re: MTV in the 80s Song of the Day
« Reply #2520 on: February 21, 2013, 10:49:34 AM »
The movie is awesome.  There's a street in our neighborhood, Whitfield Avenue, and we always call it Carlton Whitfield Avenue.

I don't remember the song.  I was never a huge Night Ranger fan.

Offline King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Take that Beethoven, you deaf bastard!!
« Reply #2521 on: February 21, 2013, 11:00:40 AM »
That album was the start of their popularity slipping and right after that album, the keyvboardist left.  Very good song though.
I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down'.” - Bob Newhart
So wait, we're spelling it wrong and king is spelling it right? What is going on here? :lol -- BlobVanDam
"Oh, I am definitely a jackass!" - TAC

Offline Jaq

• Favorite song by Europe: Carrie.
« Reply #2522 on: February 21, 2013, 11:42:37 AM »
The only thread I have ever started here, as far as I remember, was dedicated to the precise moment a band blew it. It was a little bit of a misunderstood thread, since so many people jumped in citing the Black Album by Metallica, but my point was not to list the album where you stopped liking a band, but the thing a band did that snatched failure from the jaws of success.

My example in the opening post was The Secret of My Success by Night Ranger. That song was the beginning of the end for Night Ranger-it turned loads of people off-and inside of two years, Night Ranger went from headlining 13,000 seat arenas to opening for Kansas on a club tour. Needless to say, I think you can guess my opinion of this song.  :lol
The bones of beasts and the bones of kings become dust in the wake of the hymn.
Mighty kingdoms rise, but they all will fall, no more than a breath on the wind.

Offline Orbert

• Recovering Musician
  • EZBoard Elder
  • In and around the lake
« Reply #2523 on: February 21, 2013, 12:25:47 PM »
I remember that thread.

Offline Jaq

« Reply #2524 on: February 21, 2013, 04:42:28 PM »
That makes two of us, apparently.  :lol
Mighty kingdoms rise, but they all will fall, no more than a breath on the wind.

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
« Reply #2525 on: February 21, 2013, 04:44:31 PM »
I don't remember it, but I agree with the general premise--at least as you've described it above.
"The Supreme Court of the United States has descended from the disciplined legal reasoning of John Marshall and Joseph Story to the mystical aphorisms of the fortune cookie."

Offline King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2526 on: February 21, 2013, 04:45:05 PM »
 :lol

But seriously, it was the start.  They still were filling 15,000 a night for that tour but it went downhill fast after that.  Though I liked the album, "Man In Motion" after it. 
I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down'.” - Bob Newhart
So wait, we're spelling it wrong and king is spelling it right? What is going on here? :lol -- BlobVanDam

Offline Jaq

« Reply #2527 on: February 21, 2013, 04:47:45 PM »

But seriously, it was the start.  They still were filling 15,000 a night for that tour but it went downhill fast after that.  Though I liked the album, "Man In Motion" after it.

Oh, there was nothing wrong with the REST of Big Life, the album that Secret To My Success was on in addition to the movie's soundtrack-hell, Color of Your Smile and Rain Comes Crashing Down are two of my favorite Night Ranger songs-and Man In Motion was borderline amazing. But once people stopped giving a damn about Night Ranger, they fell apart QUICK, and it did start with that song.

Offline King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2528 on: February 21, 2013, 04:55:03 PM »
I saw them on the 7 Wishes tour and they killed live.  Too bad.

BTW the opening band was Starship and they open and closed with "We Built This City".  WFT?! :lol

Offline Orbert

• Recovering Musician
  • EZBoard Elder
  • In and around the lake
« Reply #2529 on: February 21, 2013, 05:15:21 PM »
The same song, twice?  That's bad.

When I saw Styx, like 100 years ago, the opening band was Ram Jam, who had that song "Black Betty".  They opened with it, and played the rest of their EP, which is all they had.  They were really good, though, and the crowd was screaming for an encore.  Since they'd already played all their songs, they came back out and did "Black Betty" again.  Blam-a-lam.

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2530 on: February 21, 2013, 05:25:30 PM »

BTW the opening band was Starship and they open and closed with "We Built This City".  WFT?! :lol

Was it the whole song, or was the closer just like a reprise or something?

Also, the latest Night Ranger album was pretty cool.
Everyone else, except Wolfking is wrong.

Offline black_biff_stadler

• 6th place finalist at New Orleans Skullet Fest 2010
  • DT.net Member
  • blackwater_floyd, get it?
« Reply #2531 on: February 21, 2013, 05:29:55 PM »
The same song, twice?  That's bad.

Not nearly as bad as getting stuck covering Sweet Home Alabama three times at the same show for drunken rednecks in Slidell, LA.
Users who've sigged me (Join today!): LCArenas, Jakartabassplayer, LeeHarveyKennedy, Global Laziness, Portrucci, obscure, FlyingBIZKIT, alirocker08, senecadawg2, DebraKadabra, JayOctavarium, Cedar redaC, (almost) bout to crash, ? (the forum member, not the fucking punctuation mark), Zeltar, lonestar, ASacrificedSon

Offline King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2532 on: February 21, 2013, 08:06:01 PM »

The whole song. When they first played it they broke into it like it was going to be a reprise but they played it fully.

Offline DebraKadabra

• Witch Goddess of Lankershim Boulevard
  • DTF.org Member
  • Can I be as my god am?
« Reply #2533 on: February 21, 2013, 08:11:01 PM »
That song, twice?  It's terrible enough once.

FTFY :xbones

As for the Night Ranger tune... never was a fan of that one, or anything that came afterwards.  Their gold was before that.

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2534 on: February 22, 2013, 05:38:40 AM »

The whole song. When they first played it they broke into it like it was going to be a reprise but they played it fully.

Sweet Jesus.
Everyone else, except Wolfking is wrong.

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #2535 on: February 22, 2013, 09:08:21 AM »
I don't think it was that unheard of back in the day, for bands with very little material to play their most well-known early hit twice at a concert.  I think Europe did it with The Final Countdown, and I think U2 even did it with I Will Follow on their first U.S. tour.  But I won't even try to defend Starship or that atrocity of a song called We Built This City.

Offline black_biff_stadler

• 6th place finalist at New Orleans Skullet Fest 2010
  • DT.net Member
  • blackwater_floyd, get it?
« Reply #2536 on: February 22, 2013, 09:19:09 AM »
I wanna see a band troll the audience by playing the same song repeatedly for the entire set.

*Goes and watches live AC/DC vids on youtube*
Users who've sigged me (Join today!): LCArenas, Jakartabassplayer, LeeHarveyKennedy, Global Laziness, Portrucci, obscure, FlyingBIZKIT, alirocker08, senecadawg2, DebraKadabra, JayOctavarium, Cedar redaC, (almost) bout to crash, ? (the forum member, not the fucking punctuation mark), Zeltar, lonestar, ASacrificedSon

Offline Cedar redaC

• DTF.org Member
  • Streams of Light Unite With Water
« Reply #2537 on: February 22, 2013, 03:53:20 PM »
I wanna see a band troll the audience by playing the same song repeatedly for the entire set.

This guy!
Perhaps you should ask bosk to reverse the "e" and "a" in the second half of your user name.
Cedar redaC swoops in for the kill!

Offline DebraKadabra

• DTF.org Member
  • Can I be as my god am?
« Reply #2538 on: February 22, 2013, 08:44:14 PM »

:metalol:

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #2539 on: February 23, 2013, 08:51:46 AM »
The Police - Synchronicity II

This was not only my favorite of the hits from the Synchronicity record, but it was easily my favorite Police song.  And it still is.  Everything about this song is absolutely killer.  Cool as hell video, too.  The ominous shots of the lake during the choruses add a darkness to the video that makes it that much more awesome.  This is high up on my list of favorite songs and videos that fit in this thread. :coolio

Offline Orbert

• Recovering Musician
  • EZBoard Elder
  • In and around the lake
« Reply #2540 on: February 23, 2013, 09:15:06 AM »
In an interview very early in The Police, Sting said that he saw the band lasting five albums, then they'd go their separate ways.  The Police lasted five albums, and it was pretty clear by then that they were moving in different directions.  What is the deal with Andy's guitar solo?  I mean, I love it, I love that kind of thing, but it comes out of nowhere and is so bizarre in the context of that song.  The video makes it work, with the footage of coming across the lake like that.  But just listening to the song, you can practically hear the band coming apart at the seams.

Offline King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2541 on: February 23, 2013, 05:26:00 PM »
I love, love, love the atmosphere of this song and Andy's creepy as all hell solo.  Like you said Kev the video was perfect for this song.

Offline jjrock88

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2542 on: February 23, 2013, 05:42:42 PM »
Very cool song!

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #2543 on: February 23, 2013, 11:11:54 PM »
Interesting take, Orbert.  :hat

Offline DebraKadabra

• DTF.org Member
  • Can I be as my god am?
« Reply #2544 on: February 25, 2013, 01:02:05 AM »
The Police - Synchronicity II

Good song, but not my favorite from the album.  Or the band, for that matter.  The video was pretty cool though, from what I remember.

Online Zydar

• Creep With Tonality
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2545 on: February 25, 2013, 01:04:17 AM »
Very very good song, could possibly be my favourite by them.
Zydar is my new hero.  I just laughed so hard I nearly shat.

Offline masterthes

« Reply #2546 on: February 25, 2013, 01:34:33 AM »
good song, but really odd too. I'm more partial to Every Little Thing She Does, Don't Stand So Close to Me, Message In A Bottle, Walking on The Moon, even Every Breath You Take

I haven't been able to find the video on YouTube. All they have are live performances

Offline DebraKadabra

• DTF.org Member
  • Can I be as my god am?
« Reply #2547 on: February 25, 2013, 01:58:03 AM »
From Synchronicity, I'm real partial to Wrapped Around Your Finger and Murder By Numbers.  Oh, and Tea in the Sahara too.

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #2548 on: February 25, 2013, 08:13:00 AM »
Billy Joel - Allentown

He had a lot of hits in the 80s, but this is the best of them all.  In fact, this might very well my favorite Billy Joel song ever; I love it that much.  The video was enjoyable, but not really noteworthy; definitely not the best video he ever did.  But the song is just too great for words.  This is on my "whoever doesn't love this song is a communist" list. :biggrin:

Offline Orbert

• Recovering Musician
  • EZBoard Elder
  • In and around the lake
« Reply #2549 on: February 25, 2013, 08:26:36 AM »
I guess that makes me a communist, although to be honest, I've never understood why people consider communism such a horrible thing.  It's a social/political system that works very well in certain situations.

But I know your comment was a joke, just as this song was.  After a great series of amazing, kickass singles, Billy Joel released a slow, boring, depressing, plodding, boring, slow, plodding, depressing, boring, slow song about a town slowly dying.  The video somehow shows all of this, then finishes with a big "America Fuck Yeah Red White and Blue!!" ending which comes out of nowhere and makes no sense.  So I guess the video is about as good as the song.

Offline King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2550 on: February 25, 2013, 08:45:18 AM »
My favorite song by Mr. Joel.

Offline Jaq

« Reply #2551 on: February 25, 2013, 09:01:04 AM »
Call me a communist then, because I didn't like Allentown much either.  :rollin

There were too many artists in the 80s singing about unemployment and the American Dream dying that, after a while, it felt almost contrived. Like the road to relevance was singing a song about a factory closing down. I can forgive Dire Straits for doing this, since their song that mentioned unemployment was the fourteen minute long Telegraph Road. :P But it just felt like it was a shorthand for pop stars to show how much they cared about the poor to write songs about unemployment.

Offline masterthes

« Reply #2552 on: February 25, 2013, 09:23:14 AM »
I like Allentown a lot, but when it comes to 80's Joel, it's songs from An Innocent Man all the way

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #2553 on: February 25, 2013, 12:14:11 PM »
My favorite song by Mr. Joel.

I like this post. :tup :tup

As for you "communists" identifying yourselves, bah. :P :biggrin:

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
« Reply #2554 on: February 25, 2013, 04:17:56 PM »
I don't know if I love the song, but I like it muchly.
"The Supreme Court of the United States has descended from the disciplined legal reasoning of John Marshall and Joseph Story to the mystical aphorisms of the fortune cookie."