Author Topic: MTV in the 80s Song of the Day  (Read 308399 times)

Online jingle.boy

• I'm so ronery; so sad and ronery
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • DTF's resident deceased dictator
Re: MTV in the 80s Song of the Day
« Reply #1540 on: October 23, 2012, 09:15:51 AM »
Great tune.  Open Up was a monumental improvement over Look What the Cat Dragged in.  It actually had intelligent writing.  This too was probably my initial favorite from the album.  Nice video too.
That's a word salad - and take it from me, I know word salad
I fear for the day when something happens on the right that is SO nuts that even Stadler says "That's crazy".
Quote from: Puppies_On_Acid
Remember the mark of a great vocalist is if TAC hates them with a special passion

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #1541 on: October 23, 2012, 09:58:13 AM »
I actually do not remember that Poison song. They were one band that I had NO respect for.

Bon Jovi, on the other hand was the real deal. I actually saw them open for the Scorps in 1984, and they were incredible.

Slippery When Wet just blew up and really opened up the airways and charts for the hard rock/hair rock movement. But the follow up, New Jersey, is fantastic and has a heck of a lot more to do with Thin Lizzy than it does with hair metal.
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
Winger Theater Forums........or WTF.  ;D
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Offline Jaq

• Favorite song by Europe: Carrie.
« Reply #1542 on: October 23, 2012, 10:56:55 AM »
I have no memory of that Poison song, though I did own and like the debut album, even if the band looked HILARIOUS on the cover.
The bones of beasts and the bones of kings become dust in the wake of the hymn.
Mighty kingdoms rise, but they all will fall, no more than a breath on the wind.

Offline wkiml

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1543 on: October 23, 2012, 11:01:33 AM »
I actually do not remember that Poison song. They were one band that I had NO respect for.

Bon Jovi, on the other hand was the real deal. I actually saw them open for the Scorps in 1984, and they were incredible.

Slippery When Wet just blew up and really opened up the airways and charts for the hard rock/hair rock movement. But the follow up, New Jersey, is fantastic and has a heck of a lot more to do with Thin Lizzy than it does with hair metal.

I saw them on that same tour and MSG was completely empty during Bon Jovi's set, Jon actually made a comment along the lines of how he wanted to take a couple of underage girls back to his hotel room before intoducing the song Runaway...
Quote from: senecadawg2 on July 17, 2012, 10:54:32 PM
In defense of peanut butter...

try getting the neighbor's dog to lick your balls with a spoonful of chummus.

Offline jjrock88

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1544 on: October 23, 2012, 08:57:14 PM »
TAC, what are the odds of Poison cracking your top ten?  one in a trillion or just zero?

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #1545 on: October 23, 2012, 11:16:01 PM »
David Bowie - China Girl

Always liked this song a lot, and still do.  The video was always one that was easy to get sucked into, as it was oddly appealing. Pretty much everything about this song is great.

Offline DebraKadabra

• Witch Goddess of Lankershim Boulevard
  • DTF.org Member
  • Can I be as my god am?
« Reply #1546 on: October 23, 2012, 11:56:40 PM »
I didn't like China Girl too much back in the day, but it grew on me BIG TIME over the years.  Love it now. :heart

Online jingle.boy

• I'm so ronery; so sad and ronery
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • DTF's resident deceased dictator
« Reply #1547 on: October 24, 2012, 05:03:34 AM »
I didn't like David Bowie back in the day, and I still don't.
That's a word salad - and take it from me, I know word salad
I fear for the day when something happens on the right that is SO nuts that even Stadler says "That's crazy".
Quote from: Puppies_On_Acid
Remember the mark of a great vocalist is if TAC hates them with a special passion

Offline Zydar

• Creep With Tonality
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1548 on: October 24, 2012, 05:05:16 AM »
Great song.
Zydar is my new hero.  I just laughed so hard I nearly shat.

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #1549 on: October 24, 2012, 05:21:16 AM »
TAC, what are the odds of Poison cracking your top ten?  one in a trillion or just zero?
Zero in a trillion!

Actually I came very close to seeing them in a small club before they broke. On the fall of '87 a slew of LA bands toured out here. I saw Faster Pussycat (who absolutely sucked) and Guns n Roses ( who were incredible). Poison came shortly after, I believe, and I had full intentions of going. I hadn't heard anything by them, but for some reason I didn't go.
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
Winger Theater Forums........or WTF.  ;D
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Online Orbert

• Recovering Musician
  • EZBoard Elder
  • In and around the lake
« Reply #1550 on: October 24, 2012, 07:58:41 AM »
I never liked "China Girl" even though I like most David Bowie.  The song itself is weird, with the pentatonic harmonies meant to evoke Chinese music, and what's with the "Oh baby, just you shut your mouth"?  I've never understood love songs where someone tells the other to "just shut up and..." whatever.  Maybe because I babble a lot and am always being told to shut up.  Um, yeah.

Also, the girl in video was completely hideous.  Fucking hell, you write a song about a Chinese babe and you make a video with the ugliest fucking Asian girl you can find?  I didn't like the song anyway, but shit, when I saw the video it certainly did not help.  I don't think I've ever actually made it through the video, though.  Does she turn into a flower or something at the end?  'Cause as it is, you could hit her in the face with a brick and I still think it would be an improvement.

Offline LudwigVan

• Proglodyte
« Reply #1551 on: October 24, 2012, 09:10:11 AM »
I never liked "China Girl" even though I like most David Bowie.  The song itself is weird, with the pentatonic harmonies meant to evoke Chinese music, and what's with the "Oh baby, just you shut your mouth"?  I've never understood love songs where someone tells the other to "just shut up and..." whatever.  Maybe because I babble a lot and am always being told to shut up.  Um, yeah.

Also, the girl in video was completely hideous.  Fucking hell, you write a song about a Chinese babe and you make a video with the ugliest fucking Asian girl you can find?  I didn't like the song anyway, but shit, when I saw the video it certainly did not help.  I don't think I've ever actually made it through the video, though.  Does she turn into a flower or something at the end?  'Cause as it is, you could hit her in the face with a brick and I still think it would be an improvement.

I had a laugh when I read this, cause those were my exact same thoughts when I first saw the video way back when.   She certainly has an 'androgynous' look which probably appealed to Bowie:

Geeling Ng is a New Zealand model, actress and restaurateur who is best known as the title character in David Bowie's music video "China Girl". She was a waitress when Bowie spotted her and wanted her in the video.[1]

Ng hosts the cooking segment for TV ONE's Asia Downunder and is the operations manager at Soul Bar & Bistro in Auckland's Viaduct. She was also a contestant on Dancing with the Stars in 2008. [2]

"There is nothing more difficult than talking about music."
--Camille Saint-Saëns

“All the good music has already been written by people with wigs and stuff.”
--Frank Zappa

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #1552 on: October 24, 2012, 09:33:18 AM »
:lol Yeah, I always thought she was less than attractive as well, but the nature of the video helps her out a little bit, I think.  And Bowie is kind of a weird guy anyway, so pairing him up with a gal like that in a video kind of makes sense. :lol :lol

Offline DebraKadabra

• DTF.org Member
  • Can I be as my god am?
« Reply #1553 on: October 24, 2012, 11:56:25 AM »
David Bowie, weird?!  Naaaaaah... :lol

Offline Jaq

« Reply #1554 on: October 24, 2012, 12:02:20 PM »
David Bowie, weird?!  Naaaaaah... :lol

:rollin

This period of David Bowie's career was always interesting to me because it was obvious to me that he sat down and said "you know what? I'm going to jump headfirst into this whole 80s rock thing and just make a shit ton of money." He would later have a lot of bad things to say about Let's Dance and the videos and what not, but everything about Let's Dance was custom built to make huge amounts of money. I remember on this tour he played TWO dates in Norfolk, VA because the first one sold out. I can name only a handful of acts who pulled that off around here, and one of them was the Rolling Stones. Bowie might not look back too fondly on this period, but for a while he was huge.
Mighty kingdoms rise, but they all will fall, no more than a breath on the wind.

Offline DebraKadabra

• DTF.org Member
  • Can I be as my god am?
« Reply #1555 on: October 24, 2012, 12:07:51 PM »
Oh God, Let's Dance (album) was HUGE.  It also put one Stevie Ray Vaughan (RIP) in the spotlight, and well deserved too.

Online Orbert

• Recovering Musician
  • EZBoard Elder
  • In and around the lake
« Reply #1556 on: October 24, 2012, 12:32:20 PM »
I was aware of 60's and 70's weirdo Bowie while growing up, but when Let's Dance came out, that's when I actually thought he wasn't too bad.  Rewatching the "Let's Dance" video now, it's hard to believe, but I distinctly remember watching it and thinking "Yep, the dude's still way weird".  But I love Let's Dance and the follow-up Tonight ("Loving the Alien" is so cool) and they inspired me to take a real look at his back catalogue.  Lots of cool stuff back there.

So even if David himself views the 80's as a time of artistic compromise, which it totally was, it got a lot of people into his past work, which he presumably holds in higher regard.

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #1557 on: October 24, 2012, 12:37:56 PM »
Speaking of guys that were big in the 70s...

Rod Stewart - Lost in You

I have to admit that I had completely forgotten about this song.  In fact, I hadn't heard it probably since the late 80s until it popped up on VH1 Classic a few weeks ago, and I was like, "Oh yeah! Good song, and nice video."  As a 15-year old, it was even better at the time. :biggrin:

The video: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZoOytXDDWT0

I am not a strip bar guy at all, but 1:38-1:44 is glorious. :hat :hat :hat

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #1558 on: October 25, 2012, 09:39:31 AM »
No one remembers that one, eh?

Offline Cool Chris

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1559 on: October 25, 2012, 09:51:00 AM »
Doesn't sound familiar.

* watches clip

Ok, that was painful, almost had ot fast-forward to 1:38. The chorus sounds vaguely familiar. But maybe it just has that generic Rod Stewart sound I had to listen to all the time since my mom was a big fan of his.

Looking back through this page, didn't like China Doll, and never got in to Bowie for whatever reason.
"Nostalgia is just the ability to forget the things that sucked" - Nelson DeMille, 'Up Country'

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
« Reply #1560 on: October 25, 2012, 10:05:58 AM »
I don't specifically remember that one either, but I do like me some Rod Stewart.
"The Supreme Court of the United States has descended from the disciplined legal reasoning of John Marshall and Joseph Story to the mystical aphorisms of the fortune cookie."

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #1561 on: October 25, 2012, 11:39:58 PM »
Eddie Money - Take Me Home Tonight

This duet with Ronnie Spector was wildly popular, reaching the top 5 on the pop chart here in the States, and the video was played to death on MTV.  I don't remember the video being anything noteworthy, but I always liked the song. 

Offline DebraKadabra

• DTF.org Member
  • Can I be as my god am?
« Reply #1562 on: October 25, 2012, 11:45:23 PM »
Ick... sorry... :lol

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #1563 on: October 25, 2012, 11:46:23 PM »
This is not your week in this thread, is it? :biggrin: :lol

Offline DebraKadabra

• DTF.org Member
  • Can I be as my god am?
« Reply #1564 on: October 25, 2012, 11:47:54 PM »
This is not your week in this thread, is it? :biggrin: :lol

Heh, not really. :lol

Offline Jaq

« Reply #1565 on: October 25, 2012, 11:49:53 PM »
Ahh, yes. As far as I was concerned, until he popped up in that Geico commercial about being as happy as Eddie Money at a travel agency, this pretty much was the end of Eddie Money's career for me.  :lol Honestly don't know how he followed it up on this ALBUM, let alone the next one.

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #1566 on: October 25, 2012, 11:57:08 PM »
Fine, I'll throw another out there now and both can be up for discussion for now (not like I don't do two or three some days already anyway)...

David Lee Roth - Yankee Rose

An awesome video in every way possible.  The intro is incredible - "Gimme a bottle of anything, and a glazed donut...to go!" And then when the song starts, it is just as good.  Say what you want about DLR, but the guy had charisma, and he could make a great video even just out of him and his band performing on stage.  And wearing assless pants. :rollin :rollin :rollin

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NsC7oEjCHAM

2:24-2:25 is possible the funniest moment in any DLR video ever.  Roth shaking his butt in the screen goes perfectly with that emotive guitar lead by Steve Vai.  :lol :lol :lol

Offline DebraKadabra

• DTF.org Member
  • Can I be as my god am?
« Reply #1567 on: October 25, 2012, 11:58:48 PM »
Home run! :lol :lol

Cool song, MUCH better video.  I always loved how much David Lee Roth embraced the video medium - he really made the most of it back then.

Offline Jaq

« Reply #1568 on: October 25, 2012, 11:59:38 PM »
I can't do it anymore, but for AGES, I could recite every crazy line in the introduction of this video, and "Give me a bottle of anything and a glazed donut...to GO" was pretty much my catchphrase. The rest of the video was a fairly standard performance video to introduce DLR's new band-and good fucking god, what a band-but that intro was fucking dynamite.

Offline BlobVanDam

• Future Boy
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Transform and rock out!
« Reply #1569 on: October 26, 2012, 12:06:17 AM »
I just listened to this one the other day. :hat
Great song, and as usual DLR shines in the video. What he lacks in vocal ability, he's always made up for with charisma.

Only King could mis-spell a LETTER.
Yep. I think the only party in the MP/DT situation that hasn't moved on is DTF.

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #1570 on: October 26, 2012, 12:10:33 AM »
Yes! I am gonna have to steal that. :hat :hat

Offline BlobVanDam

• Future Boy
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Transform and rock out!
« Reply #1571 on: October 26, 2012, 12:14:16 AM »
Dare I even ask what for? :lol
Only King could mis-spell a LETTER.
Yep. I think the only party in the MP/DT situation that hasn't moved on is DTF.

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #1572 on: October 26, 2012, 12:26:21 AM »
I have several cousins who are big fans of VH/DLR.  They will get a chuckle over that.  That's all.  Swear. :lol :lol

Offline King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Take that Beethoven, you deaf bastard!!
« Reply #1573 on: October 26, 2012, 04:11:45 AM »
Give me a bottle of anything and a glazed donut.

To Go.................
I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down'.” - Bob Newhart
So wait, we're spelling it wrong and king is spelling it right? What is going on here? :lol -- BlobVanDam
"Oh, I am definitely a jackass!" - TAC

Offline DebraKadabra

• DTF.org Member
  • Can I be as my god am?
« Reply #1574 on: October 26, 2012, 04:14:03 AM »

:rollin

I just listened to this one the other day. :hat
Great song, and as usual DLR shines in the video. What he lacks in vocal ability, he's always made up for with charazma.

FTFY :lol