Author Topic: MTV in the 80s Song of the Day  (Read 308392 times)

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
Re: MTV in the 80s Song of the Day
« Reply #1505 on: October 19, 2012, 09:44:05 AM »
I thought this song was outstanding.
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
Winger Theater Forums........or WTF.  ;D
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Offline Cool Chris

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1506 on: October 19, 2012, 09:45:06 AM »
I am pretty behind here.

The Bangles -  Hazy Shade of Winter

Great cover, though one of those instances where I heard this version prior to the original. They did a great job updating it for their times and their song without losing the feel of the original.

Madonna - Borderline

Madonna  :\

John Parr - St. Elmo's Fire

I remember, as a kid, thinking this song had the greatest, most powerful chorus ever.  In retrospect, that seems like an absurd thought, but it is still an awfully good chorus, and the rest of the song, reeking of the 80s, is quite enjoyable.  I have never seen the movie, however.

Pretty much how I feel. I have a dance remix of this song that just loops the chorus periodically. It gets old pretty fast.

The Human League - (Keep Feeling) Fascination

Don’t recall the video, and the song is just ok, but a local 80s cover band did a great job at playing it with a little added energy it needs.
"Nostalgia is just the ability to forget the things that sucked" - Nelson DeMille, 'Up Country'

Offline wkiml

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1507 on: October 19, 2012, 10:24:36 AM »
loved this cover when it came out....made me go back and listen to S&G again...they are a big guilty pleasure of mine
Quote from: senecadawg2 on July 17, 2012, 10:54:32 PM
In defense of peanut butter...

try getting the neighbor's dog to lick your balls with a spoonful of chummus.

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #1508 on: October 19, 2012, 10:26:04 AM »
On what planet is listening to Simon & Garfunkel a guilty pleasure? ???

Offline wkiml

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1509 on: October 19, 2012, 10:29:23 AM »

Im sure there are not alot of S&G fans hear on this board and I can guarantee most of the youngins have no idea who they are

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #1510 on: October 19, 2012, 10:33:38 AM »
So? That doesn't make them a guilty pleasure, though.  S&G are classic.  Calling them a guilty pleasure is like calling The Beatles or Bob Dylan a guilty pleasure (although I personally get zero pleasure out of listening to Dylan :lol).

Offline wkiml

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1511 on: October 19, 2012, 10:41:28 AM »
So? That doesn't make them a guilty pleasure, though.  S&G are classic.  Calling them a guilty pleasure is like calling The Beatles or Bob Dylan a guilty pleasure (although I personally get zero pleasure out of listening to Dylan :lol).

I agree they are classic...guess my idea of guilty pleasure is admitting to listening to someone whom the majority in the conversation wouldn't admit too...

I know you guys love these lists but check out who's at number #1

https://www.rollingstone.com/music/blogs/staff-blog/rolling-stones-list-of-the-25-undisputed-guilty-pleasure-bands-20070409

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
« Reply #1512 on: October 19, 2012, 11:28:28 AM »
YES!!!  :2metal:
"The Supreme Court of the United States has descended from the disciplined legal reasoning of John Marshall and Joseph Story to the mystical aphorisms of the fortune cookie."

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #1513 on: October 19, 2012, 12:34:24 PM »

I know you guys love these lists but check out who's at number #1

https://www.rollingstone.com/music/blogs/staff-blog/rolling-stones-list-of-the-25-undisputed-guilty-pleasure-bands-20070409

a. What a shock that most of the artists on that list are ones critics routinely hate and/or criticize.  :\ :\

B. Rolling Stone sucks.

Online jingle.boy

• I'm so ronery; so sad and ronery
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • DTF's resident deceased dictator
« Reply #1514 on: October 19, 2012, 12:44:30 PM »
Like anything from Lolling Stone magazine has any relevance.  The last time they did anything that mattered was a layout of a 1/2 naked Jennifer Aniston 16 years ago.

Let's just refer to them as :lol ing Stone from now on, ok?
That's a word salad - and take it from me, I know word salad
I fear for the day when something happens on the right that is SO nuts that even Stadler says "That's crazy".
Quote from: Puppies_On_Acid
Remember the mark of a great vocalist is if TAC hates them with a special passion

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #1515 on: October 19, 2012, 12:46:10 PM »

Online Orbert

• Recovering Musician
  • EZBoard Elder
  • In and around the lake
« Reply #1516 on: October 19, 2012, 01:30:07 PM »
Simon & Garfunkel are amazing.  I have no problem proclaiming my undying love for them.

Also, Jennifer Aniston has a cute butt.

Offline King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Take that Beethoven, you deaf bastard!!
« Reply #1517 on: October 19, 2012, 02:13:25 PM »

Good cover of a Simon & Garfunkel, albeit quite different.  I love how the video matches the fast pace of the song, and the movie shots from Less Than Zero work perfectly in it, too.

New was into the Bangles but I loved this song when it came out.  Such a great cover and that movie was killer too.  Robert Downey Jr. was great in it.
I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down'.” - Bob Newhart
So wait, we're spelling it wrong and king is spelling it right? What is going on here? :lol -- BlobVanDam
"Oh, I am definitely a jackass!" - TAC

Offline DebraKadabra

• Witch Goddess of Lankershim Boulevard
  • DTF.org Member
  • Can I be as my god am?
« Reply #1518 on: October 19, 2012, 02:33:17 PM »

Really - S&G are outstanding. ???

Never was a Bangles fan either, but I do like their cover of this.  Probably the best thing they ever did IMO.

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
« Reply #1519 on: October 19, 2012, 02:41:30 PM »

Never was a Bangles fan either, but I do like their cover of this.  Probably the best thing anybody who has ever recorded music has done ever IMO.

Fixed.
"The Supreme Court of the United States has descended from the disciplined legal reasoning of John Marshall and Joseph Story to the mystical aphorisms of the fortune cookie."

Offline DebraKadabra

• DTF.org Member
  • Can I be as my god am?
« Reply #1520 on: October 19, 2012, 02:59:13 PM »
Really?! :lol

No, seriously - REALLY?!

Offline Jaq

• Favorite song by Europe: Carrie.
« Reply #1521 on: October 19, 2012, 05:56:25 PM »
I was kind of over the Bangles by the time this came out-not that I was really a huge fan, but hey, Susannah Hoffs could get my attention and make me wish I was a Rickenbacker, let me tell you. This was a soundtrack song, wasn't it? Yes, scrolling back to Kev's post tells me it was from Less Than Zero, a movie I had totally forgotten about. It actually reminds me of my personal theory that musical decades aren't exactly the same as calendar ones. To me, the kind of music that I think of as being the 80s ended in 1987 or so, with 88 and 89 being a sort of interim period, stretching in 1990, before the arrival of grunge and the death of glam metal. This song was one of the ones that fell into the tail end of 80s music as I see it. (In case you were wondering, the period of music in my head that I associate, largely, with 80s groups runs from 1979 to 1987. Even if you weren't, that's how it works for me!)
The bones of beasts and the bones of kings become dust in the wake of the hymn.
Mighty kingdoms rise, but they all will fall, no more than a breath on the wind.

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #1522 on: October 20, 2012, 09:44:49 AM »
Funny you say that, cause even though I like a lot of stuff from 1988 and 1989, I find that to be the stuff I listen to the least when going for my 80s playlist.  '81-'87 gets almost all of the love.  Plus, at that point, I was in high school and was starting to get into some classic rock in '89 thanks to the summer I spend cutting grass with my cousin Tim (and he was always playing classic rock on the radio). 

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #1523 on: October 20, 2012, 10:04:10 AM »
Amy Holland - Shooting for the Moon

Okay, I am going a bit off-kilter here, since this was not a bit at all, and I don't think there was a video for it, but it being prominently featured in a movie that screams 80s makes it very much of an 80s song to me, so I thought I'd include it here in the discussion.  Very beautiful and melodic and CHEESY song, but I like it.  Oh, and I almost forgot to mention the movie...it was the song that plays during the final scene and into the credits of Teen Wolf. :lol

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=viCZGUb9rhU

Offline Jaq

« Reply #1524 on: October 20, 2012, 11:29:43 AM »
I have no memory of this song, because I never saw Teen Wolf.  :lol
Mighty kingdoms rise, but they all will fall, no more than a breath on the wind.

Online Orbert

• Recovering Musician
  • EZBoard Elder
  • In and around the lake
« Reply #1525 on: October 20, 2012, 03:07:27 PM »
I've seen the original Teen Wolf (sad that I need to even specify) a few times, and think it's pretty fun, but I still have no memory of the song.  Must be pretty forgettable.

Offline King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1526 on: October 20, 2012, 03:51:15 PM »
Saw the movie but I don't remember this song.
I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down'.” - Bob Newhart
So wait, we're spelling it wrong and king is spelling it right? What is going on here? :lol -- BlobVanDam

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #1527 on: October 20, 2012, 11:10:31 PM »
Peter Gabriel - Shock the Monkey

At the age of 9, I thought this song was so creepy and weird, but I still liked it a lot. The video was rather neat, too.  Little did I know at the time what a huge fan I would eventually become of Peter Gabriel. 

Offline Jaq

« Reply #1528 on: October 20, 2012, 11:16:25 PM »
Hated the song, hated the video, so naturally a handful of years later I loved Peter Gabriel era Genesis.  :rollin

Online Orbert

• Recovering Musician
  • EZBoard Elder
  • In and around the lake
« Reply #1529 on: October 21, 2012, 01:02:36 PM »
Another weird, catchy tune from Peter, with a weird video, too.  :tup

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #1530 on: October 22, 2012, 10:12:12 AM »
Bon Jovi - You Give Love a Bad Name

A hugely popular song, really the song that put Bon Jovi on the map as a major act, it being the first single from Slippery When Wet, but while it is a song I enjoyed at the time, it was never really a favorite of mine, and is one I almost never listen to anymore.  Not a bad song, just not one I really care to listen to.

Offline BlobVanDam

• Future Boy
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Transform and rock out!
« Reply #1531 on: October 22, 2012, 10:20:45 AM »
I love all of the hits from Slippery When Wet. Even though it's a very '80s song that represents the period, it's dated very well, as have the other hits.
The rest of the album, not so much.

And the music video is a typical phoned in '80s affair. Mind numbing concert footage. :lol
Only King could mis-spell a LETTER.
Yep. I think the only party in the MP/DT situation that hasn't moved on is DTF.

Offline King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1532 on: October 22, 2012, 12:06:36 PM »
And don't forget Blob, Bon Jovi beofre he used Nair.

I've said too much.

Offline DebraKadabra

• DTF.org Member
  • Can I be as my god am?
« Reply #1533 on: October 22, 2012, 07:26:49 PM »
Peter Gabriel - Shock the Monkey

Great video, greater song - LOVE it.

Bon Jovi - You Give Love a Bad Name

Yes, I had SWW as did a lot of people back then.  It DID NOT age well.  Next...

Offline Jaq

« Reply #1534 on: October 22, 2012, 07:59:14 PM »
It's interesting to note that, early on in their careers, at least in my circle of metal/hard rock fans, Bon Jovi was, if not liked, tolerated as a hard rock band. Kind of thought of on the same tier and type of music as Night Ranger was, not quite metal, but good, solid arena rock. I remember the band having a MTV concert around the time of their second album that honestly kicked several shades of ass.

And then Slippery When Wet came out.

And any tolerance my circle of metal/rock fans had for Bon Jovi fucking evaporated. I actually didn't mind the entire album, but the singles just felt like the band was catering towards an audience that wasn't me, especially You Give Love A Bad Name. Bon Jovi became the band that made the teen aged girls that shouldn't really have been at the parties you were throwing but you let em in anyway because you were only 21 or so and probably right addled where girls were concerned dance when You Give Love A Bad Name came on. Which, hey, worked out for Bon Jovi because it made them stars.

I will say that, however, when insanely drunk, this song had a fun chorus to sing along to. But never with that one sixteen year old girl who is really going to get some guy in trouble, over there in the corner stealing his tall boy Budweiser while batting her eyelashes at him.

No, that wasn't me. I was the guy getting shit faced on the purple passion over in the kitchen, amused by all of that.   :rollin

Offline Ravenheart

• Hair
  • DTF.org Member
« Reply #1535 on: October 22, 2012, 08:45:00 PM »
I'm a few days late, but I dig that Human League song. 80s new wave and synthpop always sits very well with me,

Online Orbert

• Recovering Musician
  • EZBoard Elder
  • In and around the lake
« Reply #1536 on: October 22, 2012, 08:50:41 PM »
I know I've shared my Bon Jovi story here before, but yeah, it's actually pretty scary the effect that Slippery When Wet had on females.

Offline SystematicThought

• DTF.org Member
  • Carpe Diem-2020
« Reply #1537 on: October 22, 2012, 09:12:57 PM »
Did any of you guys listen to Steve Winwood's album Arc of a Diver? When You See a Chance and the title song are amazing. The album is amazing too, but those tracks stand out.
God have mercy on a man
Who doubts what he's sure of.
-Bruce Springsteen

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #1538 on: October 23, 2012, 08:48:19 AM »
It's interesting to note that, early on in their careers, at least in my circle of metal/hard rock fans, Bon Jovi was, if not liked, tolerated as a hard rock band. Kind of thought of on the same tier and type of music as Night Ranger was, not quite metal, but good, solid arena rock. I remember the band having a MTV concert around the time of their second album that honestly kicked several shades of ass.

And then Slippery When Wet came out.

And any tolerance my circle of metal/rock fans had for Bon Jovi fucking evaporated. I actually didn't mind the entire album, but the singles just felt like the band was catering towards an audience that wasn't me, especially You Give Love A Bad Name. Bon Jovi became the band that made the teen aged girls that shouldn't really have been at the parties you were throwing but you let em in anyway because you were only 21 or so and probably right addled where girls were concerned dance when You Give Love A Bad Name came on. Which, hey, worked out for Bon Jovi because it made them stars.

I will say that, however, when insanely drunk, this song had a fun chorus to sing along to. But never with that one sixteen year old girl who is really going to get some guy in trouble, over there in the corner stealing his tall boy Budweiser while batting her eyelashes at him.

No, that wasn't me. I was the guy getting shit faced on the purple passion over in the kitchen, amused by all of that.   :rollin

:tup :tup

I know I've shared my Bon Jovi story here before, but yeah, it's actually pretty scary the effect that Slippery When Wet had on females.

I think that goes for a lot of that hair rock/metal of the later 80s.  Bon Jovi, Def Leppard, Guns N' Roses, Poison, etc.  Girls went nuts over almost all of them. 

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #1539 on: October 23, 2012, 08:52:43 AM »
Speaking of which...

Poison - Fallen Angel

This is the one Poison song I actually liked a lot at the time.  None of the others did much for me, but I liked this song; enjoyable video, too, about a young girl moving to LA away from her family to try and make it in showbiz.