Author Topic: MTV in the 80s Song of the Day  (Read 313185 times)

Offline DebraKadabra

• Witch Goddess of Lankershim Boulevard
  • DTF.org Member
  • Can I be as my god am?
Re: MTV in the 80s Song of the Day
« Reply #1190 on: August 24, 2012, 11:21:26 AM »
One of the better 80s Billy Joel tunes, but by no means my favorite of his.

Offline Jaq

• Favorite song by Europe: Carrie.
« Reply #1191 on: August 24, 2012, 01:48:32 PM »
Mr. Mister-a long time ago around here, I made a post that said that their debut album wasn't quite the best 80s pop-rock album, but it was pretty close. The non-single tracks were fantastic here.

Billy Joel-more than once, me and my friends, most of them being in chorus, while I could carry a tune, sang The Longest Time when it came on the radio. We all settled into our parts almost naturally. Great song, always loved that Billy sang all the parts by himself. All fourteen of them  :lol
The bones of beasts and the bones of kings become dust in the wake of the hymn.
Mighty kingdoms rise, but they all will fall, no more than a breath on the wind.

Offline dbrooks22

• Facilities Manager
« Reply #1192 on: August 24, 2012, 04:05:28 PM »
Billy Joel-more than once, me and my friends, most of them being in chorus, while I could carry a tune, sang The Longest Time when it came on the radio. We all settled into our parts almost naturally.

Ditto

Offline DebraKadabra

• DTF.org Member
  • Can I be as my god am?
« Reply #1193 on: August 24, 2012, 04:20:42 PM »
Billy Joel-more than once, me and my friends, most of them being in chorus, while I could carry a tune, sang The Longest Time when it came on the radio. We all settled into our parts almost naturally. Great song, always loved that Billy sang all the parts by himself. All fourteen of them  :lol

Nice - that's a great song, too.

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #1194 on: August 25, 2012, 12:41:49 PM »
The Cars - You Might Think

I absolutely loved this song back in 1984, and the video was super cool, too, but now I merely like it.  Back then, it was easily my favorite Cars song from the great Heartbeat City album, but now it is probably middle of the pack.  But, getting back to the video, I believe it was the first video to win the MTV Music Video of the Year award, and was definitely a deserving winner.  Like Billy Joel, The Cars came out of the 70s and managed to not compromised their sound or style in the 80s while still making great videos to expand their audience.

Offline DebraKadabra

• DTF.org Member
  • Can I be as my god am?
« Reply #1195 on: August 25, 2012, 12:46:44 PM »
Even though You Might Think was EVERYWHERE when it was a single, I still like it.

Offline Cool Chris

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1196 on: August 25, 2012, 01:25:26 PM »
I really liked this song then, and I still like it now. I have actually been on a bit of a Cars kick, and hating the fact that I don't still have any of their CDs. I sold a lot of my lesser listened to stuff a while back for some quick cash. Their debut CD is a masterpiece. 
"Nostalgia is just the ability to forget the things that sucked" - Nelson DeMille, 'Up Country'

Online FreezingPoint

« Reply #1197 on: August 25, 2012, 01:50:40 PM »
You Might Think is a great song, but I would probably put it in the middle or bottom half of the Heartbeat City album myself. There are so many great songs on that album. I just recently found Heartbeat City in vinyl and wow did I enjoy listening to it.
avenuex.bandcamp.com

Offline Jaq

« Reply #1198 on: August 26, 2012, 09:59:29 AM »
Despite being a monster prog/metal head, one of my favorite bands ever, period, was the Cars. Just an amazing run of albums, and every one of them tended to be loaded. You Might Think is an awesome single, totally catchy and memorable, and it's in the lower half of songs on Heartbreak City. And yes, it did win the first VMA for video of the year. Haven't seen the video in ages, so I'm sure it looks pretty cheesy by modern standards. A lot of the more visually impressive videos of the 80s were using (or inventing) things that are pretty par for the course for today.
Mighty kingdoms rise, but they all will fall, no more than a breath on the wind.

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #1199 on: August 26, 2012, 01:56:46 PM »
Tina Turner - What's Love Got to Do with It

One of the better laid back pop hits of the 80s. The music throughout this song, while often understated and in the background, is very beautiful, and Turner's gritty voice provides a nice counterpoint, while not overdoing it.  I never thought the video was anything special, but it's not bad or anything; it works well for the song.

Offline DebraKadabra

• DTF.org Member
  • Can I be as my god am?
« Reply #1200 on: August 26, 2012, 10:23:25 PM »
I've always liked that one.

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
« Reply #1201 on: August 27, 2012, 01:16:00 PM »
The Cars - You Might Think

Great song.  Great album.  Great video.  I got the album kinda by mistake (didn't send in the "no" card to Columbia House in time), but played it nonstop afterward.  I pretty much forgot about these guys for years until recently when the band wanted to add "Just What I Needed" to the set.  I think I'm going to have to go out and pick up a "great hits" or something.

Tina Turner - What's Love Got to Do with It

I hate to be a hater, but I've never liked anything Tina Turner did.  This song is no exception.
"The Supreme Court of the United States has descended from the disciplined legal reasoning of John Marshall and Joseph Story to the mystical aphorisms of the fortune cookie."

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #1202 on: August 27, 2012, 01:16:40 PM »
Survivor - I Can't Hold Back

Kind of a stereotypical 80s monster ballad, before 80s monster ballads became a stereotype. :lol  But I like this song.  In fact, it is probably the one Survivor song I go back to fairly often when going through my 80s stuff.
« Last Edit: August 27, 2012, 01:21:57 PM by KevShmev »

Offline Sir GuitarCozmo

• Official Forum Sous Chef and broler5
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Kelly Clarkson BEEFS
« Reply #1203 on: August 27, 2012, 01:20:24 PM »
Great tune, like you said, a standard, and shining example of an 80's AOR rock tune.  I personally would shy away from using the word ballad, only because I (whether right or wrong) too closely associate the term with slower, more emotional offerings like Every Rose, Don't Know What You Got, Heaven, etc.

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #1204 on: August 27, 2012, 01:22:33 PM »
That's probably true.  It is more of a laid back tune alongs the lines of Night Ranger's Goodbye.  Not a rocker, but not a true monster ballad per se.

Offline DebraKadabra

• DTF.org Member
  • Can I be as my god am?
« Reply #1205 on: August 27, 2012, 01:30:13 PM »
Erm... next... :lol

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
« Reply #1206 on: August 27, 2012, 01:47:15 PM »

Kind of a stereotypical 80s monster ballad, before 80s monster ballads became a stereotype. :lol  But I like this song.  In fact, it is probably the one Survivor song I go back to fairly often when going through my 80s stuff.

I've read this post like 50 times now, and I still don't understand what it is trying to say.  My eyes read the word "Survivor," but then when the next words are not "Eye of the Tiger," my brain just shuts down and will not let me proceed any farther.
"The Supreme Court of the United States has descended from the disciplined legal reasoning of John Marshall and Joseph Story to the mystical aphorisms of the fortune cookie."

Offline Sir GuitarCozmo

• Official Forum Sous Chef and broler5
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Kelly Clarkson BEEFS
« Reply #1207 on: August 27, 2012, 01:56:53 PM »
Coem on now, Eye of the Tiger wasn't even one of Survivor's better songs.

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
« Reply #1208 on: August 27, 2012, 02:02:10 PM »
You're kidding about this whole thing about them having "other songs," right?  RIGHT?

Offline Cool Chris

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1209 on: August 27, 2012, 02:04:20 PM »
Great song.  Great album.  Great video.  I got the album kinda by mistake (didn't send in the "no" card to Columbia House in time), but played it nonstop afterward.  I pretty much forgot about these guys for years until recently when the band wanted to add "Just What I Needed" to the set.  I think I'm going to have to go out and pick up a "great hits" or something.

Did the same a while back, and none of the 'greatest hits' I found suited my fancy. Which is pretty sad for a band with 4/5(?) studio albums.

Never cared for Tina Turner's music. But never questioned her talent either.

This Survivor song doesn't sound familar and I can't research at work. But I couldn't name 3 of their songs. Was a huge fan of The Search is Over (that was Survivor, right?) though.

"Nostalgia is just the ability to forget the things that sucked" - Nelson DeMille, 'Up Country'

Offline dbrooks22

• Facilities Manager
« Reply #1210 on: August 27, 2012, 02:23:32 PM »
You're kidding about this whole thing about them having "other songs," right?  RIGHT?

Survivor has some great tracks!  Can't Hold Back, Burning Heart (from Rocky IV), High on You, Search Is Over, Is This Love - all great songs!

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #1211 on: August 28, 2012, 09:15:12 AM »
Paul McCartney & Michael Jackson - Say, Say, Say

What a fun and neat video this was! This was one of my favorite videos back then, and the video made the song that much better, it not being that notable of a song in general, IMO. 

Offline Orbert

• Recovering Musician
  • EZBoard Elder
  • In and around the lake
« Reply #1212 on: August 28, 2012, 11:50:18 AM »
Paul McCartney is immensely talented, and the guy knows how to write a melody like nobody else can.  Michael Jackson was also immensely talented, as far as singing, dancing, and even songwriting.  For these reasons, I automatically rejected this song and video.  It was during my "If it's that hugely popular, it can't possibly be any good" phase (which I've never really grown out of).  I don't like being manipulated, and writing a song specifically to become a hit, to me, is a form of manipulation.  The catchy melody, the catchy beat, the slick video... it's all designed to sell records.  It took me a long time to accept that some people (such as Paul McCartney and Michael Jackson) are just so damned talented that, it's not that they're trying to write hits, they just can't help it.  All their songs are great.

So yeah, it's a great song.  Great melody, catchy, clever video, all that.  And I still don't really like it, but that's my problem.

Online King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Take that Beethoven, you deaf bastard!!
« Reply #1213 on: August 28, 2012, 03:29:53 PM »

Seen them 4 times live and a great show.  People do not realize how much they liked to rock out more live.

Great tune.
I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down'.” - Bob Newhart
So wait, we're spelling it wrong and king is spelling it right? What is going on here? :lol -- BlobVanDam
"Oh, I am definitely a jackass!" - TAC

Offline DebraKadabra

• DTF.org Member
  • Can I be as my god am?
« Reply #1214 on: August 28, 2012, 06:53:27 PM »
Paul McCartney & Michael Jackson - Say, Say, Say

What a fun and neat video this was! This was one of my favorite videos back then, and the video made the song that much better, it not being that notable of a song in general, IMO.

Cute (ish) video, not a bad song by 80s standards.

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #1215 on: August 29, 2012, 09:52:14 AM »
Prince - U Got the Look

Always one of my favorites by Prince, but what I found baffling is how the video how that extended intro, which was a great buildup, but the regular version on the album doesn't have it.  Pretty weird, to say the least.  A version with the intro can be found on the Ultimate (The Very Best of Prince) double CD compilation, but even that version unnecessarily extends the middle section a little bit, so there really is no perfect version of U Got the Look on CD the way it is in the video, which is unfortunate.  But anyway, I really like the vocal contributions of Sheena Easton in this song, and the video is pretty cool, featuring nearly the entire thing as a dream sequence.  This is hands down one of the best hits Prince ever had.

Offline Jaq

« Reply #1216 on: August 29, 2012, 09:55:34 AM »
Mmmm Sheena Easton.... :) Prince certainly had an ability for surrounding himself with some FINE women.  :lol

Offline DebraKadabra

• DTF.org Member
  • Can I be as my god am?
« Reply #1217 on: August 29, 2012, 11:18:06 AM »
Prince :hefdaddy

Online King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1218 on: August 29, 2012, 01:42:22 PM »
Average Prince song for me.
I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down'.” - Bob Newhart
So wait, we're spelling it wrong and king is spelling it right? What is going on here? :lol -- BlobVanDam

Offline DebraKadabra

• DTF.org Member
  • Can I be as my god am?
« Reply #1219 on: August 29, 2012, 07:10:12 PM »
Dude, average Prince was Raspberry Beret.

Offline BlobVanDam

• Future Boy
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Transform and rock out!
« Reply #1220 on: August 29, 2012, 11:20:28 PM »

Seen them 4 times live and a great show.  People do not realize how much they liked to rock out more live.

Great tune.

Man, how did I miss this one? Pretty good song, and the whole album is really solid. I don't even know which songs were singles/hits, because it just sounds like a whole album of them to me. :hat
Only King could mis-spell a LETTER.
Yep. I think the only party in the MP/DT situation that hasn't moved on is DTF.

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #1221 on: August 30, 2012, 09:16:25 AM »
Janet Jackson - When I Think of You

I've never been much of a fan of most of her work, but this song is kind of cool.  The music in the intro is pretty cool, and while the rest of the song strikes me as run of the mill 80s pop, it is mostly enjoyable, although I rarely reach for this song when scanning through my 80s playlist.

Online King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1222 on: August 30, 2012, 10:22:25 AM »

Great tune.

Man, how did I miss this one? Pretty good song, and the whole album is really solid. I don't even know which songs were singles/hits, because it just sounds like a whole album of them to me. :hat

Yes, Vital Signs is a great album.  I hated a girl for breaking up with me and I cranked "Broken Promises" a billion times after the break up.

Kev, never been a fan of Janet's music.

Offline DebraKadabra

• DTF.org Member
  • Can I be as my god am?
« Reply #1223 on: August 30, 2012, 11:33:51 AM »
Janet Jackson - When I Think of You

I've never been much of a fan of most of her work, but this song is kind of cool.  The music in the intro is pretty cool, and while the rest of the song strikes me as run of the mill 80s pop, it is mostly enjoyable, although I rarely reach for this song when scanning through my 80s playlist.

She's had better songs, but the video for this one is pretty cool.

Online King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1224 on: August 31, 2012, 06:10:59 AM »
Well thanks to this thread I'm listening to Vital Signs, When Seconds Count and Premonition albums by Survivor today while doing production paperwork.