Author Topic: MTV in the 80s Song of the Day  (Read 313156 times)

Offline DebraKadabra

• Witch Goddess of Lankershim Boulevard
  • DTF.org Member
  • Can I be as my god am?
Re: MTV in the 80s Song of the Day
« Reply #1050 on: August 01, 2012, 07:19:35 PM »
Tom Petty & the Heartbreakers - Don't Come Around Here No More

This song wasn't really on my radar when it first came out, and I didn't really remember seeing the video that much, but years later, when I got into him a little bit after borrowing his greatest hits from a friend, this song was an immediate favorite.  In retrospect, the video was pretty neat!  I have never been more than a moderate Petty fan at best, but this is one of a handful of songs of his I would call great.

Love the video so much that I put it in my top 10 80's videos for that thread bosk made a while back.  SUCH cool imagery, and nice cameo by Dave Stewart (Eurythmics) as The Catepillar :lol

It's not my favorite Tom Petty song, but it's up there.

Offline Jaq

• Favorite song by Europe: Carrie.
« Reply #1051 on: August 01, 2012, 07:38:17 PM »

This song wasn't really on my radar when it first came out, and I didn't really remember seeing the video that much, but years later, when I got into him a little bit after borrowing his greatest hits from a friend, this song was an immediate favorite.  In retrospect, the video was pretty neat!  I have never been more than a moderate Petty fan at best, but this is one of a handful of songs of his I would call great.

Never really was a fan of the song, but man, I loved the video. Yeah, it was just an Alice in Wonderland riff, but it was masterfully done. Great video.
The bones of beasts and the bones of kings become dust in the wake of the hymn.
Mighty kingdoms rise, but they all will fall, no more than a breath on the wind.

Offline T-ski

« Reply #1052 on: August 02, 2012, 08:38:50 AM »

I'm a firm believer that the video made this song a hit, rather than the music.  Another MTV success story.
Is all that we see or seem, but a dream within a dream?

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #1053 on: August 02, 2012, 09:55:33 AM »
Michael Jackson - Beat It

Like Billie Jean, this song was impossible to avoid if you watched MTV at all back in '82/'83, and that was not a bad thing, as this song and video are both fantastic.  I remember it was always exciting every time the opening shot of this video came on screen.  And as corny as it might look to some now, especially those who have never seen it before, the dance sequence at the end was positively awesome back then; a great way to end a classic song and video!

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
« Reply #1054 on: August 02, 2012, 10:01:28 AM »
Good song.  Good video.  Been debating whether or not to try to include this in our band's set. 

Regarding Tom Petty, which was the song with the basically Mad Max video?  Can't remember it for the life of me, other than the synth intro and the melancholy whammy bar guitar "solo."  Or maybe you're planning to throw that one out there soon...

"The Supreme Court of the United States has descended from the disciplined legal reasoning of John Marshall and Joseph Story to the mystical aphorisms of the fortune cookie."

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #1055 on: August 02, 2012, 10:03:29 AM »

Regarding Tom Petty, which was the song with the basically Mad Max video?  Can't remember it for the life of me, other than the synth intro and the melancholy whammy bar guitar "solo."  Or maybe you're planning to throw that one out there soon...

You Got Lucky.  That's still on the long list. :D

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
« Reply #1056 on: August 02, 2012, 10:21:35 AM »
Ah, yes.  That's the one. 
"The Supreme Court of the United States has descended from the disciplined legal reasoning of John Marshall and Joseph Story to the mystical aphorisms of the fortune cookie."

Offline BlobVanDam

• Future Boy
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Transform and rock out!
« Reply #1057 on: August 02, 2012, 11:33:00 AM »
Was just listening to this album yesterday. I love Beat It, probably partially thanks to Back to the Future II :blob:.
MJ blended the rock influence into his style really well here, and his voice really suited it. A lot of his songs are built on a strong bass riff anyway, so it was a pretty natural progression.
Only King could mis-spell a LETTER.
Yep. I think the only party in the MP/DT situation that hasn't moved on is DTF.

Offline DebraKadabra

• DTF.org Member
  • Can I be as my god am?
« Reply #1058 on: August 02, 2012, 12:17:20 PM »
Michael Jackson - Beat It

Like Billie Jean, this song was impossible to avoid if you watched MTV at all back in '82/'83, and that was not a bad thing, as this song and video are both fantastic.  I remember it was always exciting every time the opening shot of this video came on screen.  And as corny as it might look to some now, especially those who have never seen it before, the dance sequence at the end was positively awesome back then; a great way to end a classic song and video!

Like bosk said - great song, great video.  Thriller was SO huge back in that time frame, and the majority of the songs have really held up over the years.

Offline jjrock88

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1059 on: August 02, 2012, 06:32:49 PM »
Check out Yngwie Malmesteen's version of Beat it.  Ripper kills on it!

Offline DebraKadabra

• DTF.org Member
  • Can I be as my god am?
« Reply #1060 on: August 02, 2012, 07:11:33 PM »
YNGWIE did a version of Beat It?!  Wow... crazy.

Offline Jaq

« Reply #1061 on: August 02, 2012, 08:19:40 PM »
He did. It's on a compilation of largely instrumentals called High Impact. It's equal parts awesome and hilarious.  :lol
Mighty kingdoms rise, but they all will fall, no more than a breath on the wind.

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #1062 on: August 02, 2012, 10:19:02 PM »
Damn you all for stinking up this thread with talk of Yngwie. *vomits* :facepalm:

Quiet Riot - Cum On Feel the Noize

A wildly popular song and video, it was never one I called a favorite.  I liked it, but that was probably because it was played every hour on MTV for what seemed like forever. :lol  IIRC, MTV never edited the spelling of the first word of the title, but I could be misremembering.  Anyone remember for sure? 

Offline Jaq

« Reply #1063 on: August 02, 2012, 10:39:23 PM »
Near as I remember, they never changed it. Hell, in the earliest days of MTV they played a Rod Stewart video with the lyric "why the fuck is she ignoring me?" left intact.  :lol

I saw Quiet Riot open for Iron Maiden around the time this song broke big, they were an awesome live band at the time. They damn near blew MAIDEN off the stage, which is no mean feat. This is one of my favorite songs of the 80s off a very good commercial metal album.

Offline jjrock88

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1064 on: August 02, 2012, 11:19:47 PM »
First metal album to go to number 1!

Offline DebraKadabra

• DTF.org Member
  • Can I be as my god am?
« Reply #1065 on: August 02, 2012, 11:27:56 PM »
Quiet Riot - Cum On Feel the Noize

A wildly popular song and video, it was never one I called a favorite.  I liked it, but that was probably because it was played every hour on MTV for what seemed like forever. :lol  IIRC, MTV never edited the spelling of the first word of the title, but I could be misremembering.  Anyone remember for sure?

I liked Bang Your Head and Slick Black Cadillac better, but you can't deny the impact this song/video had back in the day.

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #1066 on: August 03, 2012, 09:28:10 AM »
A Flock of Seagulls - I Ran

Another 80s classic, this is one of those videos that was a staple of MTV's earliest days.  I always thought the constant spinning in the video every time it showed a band member playing, while the screen stood still for everything else, was a cool effect. 

Offline T-ski

« Reply #1067 on: August 03, 2012, 09:43:15 AM »
all of the Flock of Seagulls hits were very good songs.  If you've ever heard any of their other stuff you'd cringe.

Little known fact, FOS won a Grammy for Best Rock Instrumental in 1983 for this song...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lF2lX0ZrccQ

Offline Orbert

• Recovering Musician
  • EZBoard Elder
  • In and around the lake
« Reply #1068 on: August 03, 2012, 10:01:24 AM »
The hair

The way he plays his one note on the synth with such authority

The demented look in his eyes

The hair

The guitar solo at the end of the song

The way it ends on that weird, unresolved chord

The hair!

Offline Jaq

« Reply #1069 on: August 03, 2012, 02:22:06 PM »
The hair

The hair

The hair!

This post says it all.  :biggrin: I always loved the way the singer played that one note as if having to hold on to the keyboard for his life.

Offline King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Take that Beethoven, you deaf bastard!!
« Reply #1070 on: August 03, 2012, 03:13:45 PM »
The hair

The hair

The hair!

Post of the year. :lol
I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down'.” - Bob Newhart
So wait, we're spelling it wrong and king is spelling it right? What is going on here? :lol -- BlobVanDam
"Oh, I am definitely a jackass!" - TAC

Offline DebraKadabra

• DTF.org Member
  • Can I be as my god am?
« Reply #1071 on: August 03, 2012, 04:46:54 PM »
The hair

The hair

The hair!

Spot on, dude. :lol :clap:

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #1072 on: August 06, 2012, 12:12:55 PM »
Frankie Goes to Hollywood - Relax

This is one of those songs I should have liked a lot at the time back then, but never really did; it just never did anything for me.  In fact, the best thing about this song is the "Frankie Says Relax" shirt that Ross had on Friends. :lol :lol :lol

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
« Reply #1073 on: August 06, 2012, 12:16:37 PM »
There were a few girls in my H.S. that had that shirt, too.  Not sure whether they understood it...

Offline Cool Chris

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1074 on: August 06, 2012, 12:49:44 PM »
Great song then, and still holds up well for me know. Featured song on the 80s section of my dance music compilation. And I remember that shirt on Friends too.
"Nostalgia is just the ability to forget the things that sucked" - Nelson DeMille, 'Up Country'

Offline DebraKadabra

• DTF.org Member
  • Can I be as my god am?
« Reply #1075 on: August 06, 2012, 01:21:58 PM »
Blech.

Offline King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Take that Beethoven, you deaf bastard!!
« Reply #1076 on: August 06, 2012, 03:43:56 PM »
There were a few girls in my H.S. that had that shirt, too.  Not sure whether they understood it...
[/quot :lol

Thought the same thing too!
I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down'.” - Bob Newhart
So wait, we're spelling it wrong and king is spelling it right? What is going on here? :lol -- BlobVanDam
"Oh, I am definitely a jackass!" - TAC

Offline Jaq

« Reply #1077 on: August 06, 2012, 03:49:29 PM »
One of the things that, in hindsight given several members of the band's now known sexual preferences (was it known then? I have no idea), is now kind of funny is the SECOND version of the video for Relax, which was a live version of the song with the band being mobbed by girls, Beatlemania style.  :lol I actually didn't mind Frankie Goes To Hollywood's other single, Two Tribes, but I didn't have much time for Relax.

Offline jingle.boy

• I'm so ronery; so sad and ronery
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • DTF's resident deceased dictator
« Reply #1078 on: August 06, 2012, 07:22:41 PM »
Pleasure Dome was always my fav.  Like this song plenty.

Flock of Seagulls... best thing about that (hair) was Jules' line in Pulp Fiction.  The song ... meh.
That's a word salad - and take it from me, I know word salad
I fear for the day when something happens on the right that is SO nuts that even Stadler says "That's crazy".
Quote from: Puppies_On_Acid
Remember the mark of a great vocalist is if TAC hates them with a special passion

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #1079 on: August 06, 2012, 10:20:13 PM »
Hall & Oates - Out of Touch

One of their best 80s hits, IMO, and much better with the Dance On Your Knees intro (which is in the video, albeit a bit abbreviated).  Fun little video, too.  Maybe it's the mustache, but it always seemed like John Oates was the heart and soul of their videos.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dIQ1TLvQViY&feature=fvwrel

Offline DebraKadabra

• DTF.org Member
  • Can I be as my god am?
« Reply #1080 on: August 06, 2012, 11:34:23 PM »
Cool enough song, cool video.  Nothing spectacular or anything. :)

Offline jingle.boy

• I'm so ronery; so sad and ronery
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • DTF's resident deceased dictator
« Reply #1081 on: August 07, 2012, 06:13:25 AM »
Never liked H&O, even when pop was my preferred genre.
That's a word salad - and take it from me, I know word salad
I fear for the day when something happens on the right that is SO nuts that even Stadler says "That's crazy".
Quote from: Puppies_On_Acid
Remember the mark of a great vocalist is if TAC hates them with a special passion

Offline T-ski

« Reply #1082 on: August 07, 2012, 08:08:06 AM »
Hall & Oates - Out of Touch

One of their best 80s hits, IMO, and much better with the Dance On Your Knees intro (which is in the video, albeit a bit abbreviated).  Fun little video, too.  Maybe it's the mustache, but it always seemed like John Oates was the heart and soul of their videos.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dIQ1TLvQViY&feature=fvwrel

:tup

Hall and Oates are a top 5 80's act IMO.  Don't think I've ever heard a bad song by them.

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
Re: MTV in the 80s Song of the Day (Movie tunes week!)
« Reply #1083 on: August 08, 2012, 04:29:38 PM »
I meant to start this the other day, but I'll start it today...time for 80s tunes that were featured in 80s movies. This can apply to songs that were written for the movie and/or soundtrack or merely songs that were prominently featured in the movies.

Kenny Loggins - Danger Zone

From Top Gun, this song was heavily featured in the movie, and how fitting that it was by Kenny Loggins, who was like the king of the 80s soundtrack hits!  As for the song, it doesn't do a lot for me, but always seem to fit well in the movie.

Offline Cool Chris

• DTF.org Alumni
Re: MTV in the 80s Song of the Day (Movie tunes week!!)
« Reply #1084 on: August 08, 2012, 04:42:41 PM »
Great song for the movie, which as you said, no one did better than Kenny Loggins.

Was thinking about this soundtrack album the other day. I remember my parents had the record, and I used to listen to it all the time. Every song was great, and the guitar in the last song (the instrumental) could have been the first real shreddy solo I ever heard. At least it was shreddy for me at the time, and I remember it to this day as being cool for a pre-pubescent Cool Chris.
"Nostalgia is just the ability to forget the things that sucked" - Nelson DeMille, 'Up Country'