Author Topic: MTV in the 80s Song of the Day  (Read 308409 times)

Offline DebraKadabra

• Witch Goddess of Lankershim Boulevard
  • DTF.org Member
  • Can I be as my god am?
Re: MTV in the 80s Song of the Day
« Reply #910 on: July 22, 2012, 12:30:22 AM »
Oh jeeze - Ship of Fools blows Tall Cool One AWAY.

Always liked Ship of Fools too - SO different from his gravelly vox from the Led Zeppelin days.

Online jingle.boy

• I'm so ronery; so sad and ronery
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • DTF's resident deceased dictator
« Reply #911 on: July 22, 2012, 05:58:44 AM »
Was never a huge fan of this song, but it holds some good memories for me.

Total Eclipse... fantastic song.  Excellent Power Ballad from an unexpected source.
That's a word salad - and take it from me, I know word salad
I fear for the day when something happens on the right that is SO nuts that even Stadler says "That's crazy".
Quote from: Puppies_On_Acid
Remember the mark of a great vocalist is if TAC hates them with a special passion

Offline CrimsonSunrise

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #912 on: July 22, 2012, 07:15:14 AM »
This is a tough one for me.  I grew up worshiping Zep in the 70's.  As far as the 80's, I really didn't care for anything Plant or Page did.  Is it a good song?  Sure it is, just not my style, and surely a far cry from Zeppelin.

Offline Orbert

• Recovering Musician
  • EZBoard Elder
  • In and around the lake
« Reply #913 on: July 22, 2012, 07:32:49 AM »
I figured out that the secret to enjoying Robert Plant's solo work is to not expect it to be too much like Led Zeppelin.  I did pick up Now and Zen way back when, and I like it.  "Ship of Fools" is a good song, though I don't remember the video.  I lost a few years in the 80's, so it may have been out during that time.  Same with "Tall Cool One".  I know I heard it on the radio, because that's why I bought the album, but I don't remember the video.  That was during the lost years.

Offline WebRaider

• Like What You Like, People...
« Reply #914 on: July 22, 2012, 08:12:33 AM »
Ship of Fools is an excellent song. This song helped turn me onto Plant's solo work which I had largely ignored to that point, aside from the radio tunes. He still had lots of great songs solo... was just a bit less consistent IMO.

Offline Jaq

• Favorite song by Europe: Carrie.
« Reply #915 on: July 22, 2012, 10:06:07 AM »
Oh god, Tall Call One.... :lol

I love Ship of Fools. Beautiful song. My enduring moment about this album was being pleasantly drunk, in the grocery store that had just opened across the street from where I lived, and buying an issue of Rolling Stone with Plant on the cover. Went out and bought the CD the next day.
The bones of beasts and the bones of kings become dust in the wake of the hymn.
Mighty kingdoms rise, but they all will fall, no more than a breath on the wind.

Offline Sir GuitarCozmo

• Official Forum Sous Chef and broler5
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Kelly Clarkson BEEFS
« Reply #916 on: July 22, 2012, 10:28:03 AM »
Back to Total Eclipse of the Heart for a moment.  If there's anyone who hasn't seen it yet, the "literal version" of the video:

Funny Stuff

Offline Big Hath

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #917 on: July 22, 2012, 10:40:28 AM »
HA!

Drinking wine, douchebags!
Winger would be better!

. . . and if you gaze into the abyss, the abyss gazes also into you.

Offline CrimsonSunrise

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #918 on: July 22, 2012, 11:57:26 AM »
I figured out that the secret to enjoying Robert Plant's solo work is to not expect it to be too much like Led Zeppelin.  I did pick up Now and Zen way back when, and I like it.  "Ship of Fools" is a good song, though I don't remember the video.  I lost a few years in the 80's, so it may have been out during that time.  Same with "Tall Cool One".  I know I heard it on the radio, because that's why I bought the album, but I don't remember the video.  That was during the lost years.

:lol  Think I lost a few years back then too Rob....

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #919 on: July 22, 2012, 12:14:42 PM »
Dokken - Burning Like a Flame

This was my favorite song for a spell back in 1987.  That chorus was just so catchy and fun, while still rocking enough to not come off like another cheeseball monster ballad or anything like that.  Nowadays, it is not even close to be an 80s favorite of mine, but I still enjoy it every once in a while when it comes on.   

Offline DebraKadabra

• DTF.org Member
  • Can I be as my god am?
« Reply #920 on: July 22, 2012, 04:47:18 PM »
I fell into a black hole in the late 80s so I really don't remember that particular Dokken tune/video.

Offline jjrock88

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #921 on: July 22, 2012, 04:49:11 PM »
The first 4 Dokken albums are the definition of 80's hair metal.  Plus, an amazing live album.  Great song.

Offline CrimsonSunrise

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #922 on: July 22, 2012, 04:54:08 PM »
I fell into a black hole in the late 80s so I really don't remember that particular Dokken tune/video.

You musta fell into the one I crawled outta in the mid 80's.....  :lol  ............

Offline DebraKadabra

• DTF.org Member
  • Can I be as my god am?
« Reply #923 on: July 22, 2012, 04:58:09 PM »

You musta fell into the one I crawled outta in the mid 80's.....  :lol  ............

That and living in the boonies with no cable, brah. :hat

Offline CrimsonSunrise

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #924 on: July 22, 2012, 05:13:13 PM »
Or Radio??   :biggrin:  I hear ya sistah  ;)

Offline DebraKadabra

• DTF.org Member
  • Can I be as my god am?
« Reply #925 on: July 22, 2012, 05:24:21 PM »
We had radio, just not what I was listening to at the time (which was predominantly hard rock/metuuul).

And word, brotha. :)

Offline Orbert

• Recovering Musician
  • EZBoard Elder
  • In and around the lake
« Reply #926 on: July 22, 2012, 05:53:45 PM »

:lol  Think I lost a few years back then too Rob....

After the band self-destructed and I moved back home, I got a job working the midnight shift in a campus restaurant while taking classes during the day.  My life was upside-down for three years.  I worked til dawn, then depending on my class schedule, either went to class then home to sleep, or slept then went to class, then went to work.  Somewhere in there I spent time with my girlfriend, but because everything was upside-down, I never watched any TV, and I hated listening to the radio.  (For two years before that, it was literally part of my job to listen to the radio and/or watch MTv and learn all the "hot" songs so we could play them for drunks in bars.)

Eventually I got a job working in the computer lab and left the kitchens, but I was still pretty insulated from society and culture.  So things that were big on TV or on the radio during the mid-80's, it's entirely possible that I completely missed them.  I spent about five years pretty much out of contact with the world.  The 80's.  Ha ha, I heard I didn't really miss much.

Offline Jaq

« Reply #927 on: July 22, 2012, 06:22:30 PM »
I don't really have many memories about that Dokken song, since it came out roughly the same time I became a professional beer drinker, and things kinda got blurry for a while  :lol
Mighty kingdoms rise, but they all will fall, no more than a breath on the wind.

Offline DebraKadabra

• DTF.org Member
  • Can I be as my god am?
« Reply #928 on: July 22, 2012, 07:28:42 PM »
That's crazy that we all collectively "hazed" out. :lol

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #929 on: July 22, 2012, 11:47:21 PM »
Chaka Khan - I Feel for You

Not really a song I was ever much of a fan of...except for the harmonica in it, which was played by Stevie Wonder.  Oddly, I am normally not a fan of the harmonica, as I often find it too shrilly and annoying, but I love the melody it plays in this song.  And I had no idea until recently that the song was written by Prince.

Offline DebraKadabra

• DTF.org Member
  • Can I be as my god am?
« Reply #930 on: July 23, 2012, 12:17:45 AM »
I think I liked the song better than the video. :lol

Offline Jaq

« Reply #931 on: July 23, 2012, 08:42:09 AM »
I'm pretty much convinced Prince wrote every pop hit in the mid 80s under assumed names.  :lol

Never really was a fan of this song, and it certainly didn't help it that it came out around the time I had come off a prog rock binge and had gone full on metal again. Ahh, my cyclic music interests!

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #932 on: July 23, 2012, 08:56:49 AM »
Dire Straits - Money for Nothing

This song was hugely popular, but I never liked it.  And I still don't.  It was a fairly controversial song, too, thanks to the use of the word "faggot" three times in the second verse.  The video was on a few weeks ago on Totally 80s, and I noticed that the second verse was completely omitted from it; I don't remember it being so back when it was played to death in the mid 80s.

Offline T-ski

« Reply #933 on: July 23, 2012, 08:59:17 AM »
Is all that we see or seem, but a dream within a dream?

Offline Jaq

« Reply #934 on: July 23, 2012, 09:08:59 AM »
It never ceased to amuse me that a video that basically condemned the existence of MTV wound up winning all sorts of MTV Video Music Awards.  :lol

Dire Straits is one of my favorite bands, but I never really was fond of this song. There were far better songs on the album, and the title track is a bloody masterpiece. My enduring memory of this song though, isn't the video, but comes from Live Aid. The day of Live Aid, me and my friends basically moved from one house to the other watching it, ending up at a party for the last hour or so, and from stop to stop we listened to it on the radio. Dire Straits played in the afternoon, and I recall that there were people commenting on each band as they got ready to play, and they were utterly befuddled when Sting got up on stage with Dire Straits. "I wonder why Sting is with them?" one puzzled woman asked.

"MONEY FOR NOTHING!" me and the other three in the car yelled.

"Yes, why is Sting with them?" an equally confused man wondered.

"MONEY FOR NOTHING!"

"Oh! They must be doing Money For Nothing!"

We applauded sarcastically.  :rollin

Offline ZirconBlue

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #935 on: July 23, 2012, 09:32:04 AM »

Not really a song I was ever much of a fan of...except for the harmonica in it, which was played by Stevie Wonder.  Oddly, I am normally not a fan of the harmonica, as I often find it too shrilly and annoying, but I love the melody it plays in this song.  And I had no idea until recently that the song was written by Prince.

Whenever we order pizza, I sing this song, but replacing the words "Chaka Khan" with "Papa John's".

Offline Orbert

• Recovering Musician
  • EZBoard Elder
  • In and around the lake
« Reply #936 on: July 23, 2012, 11:25:56 AM »

No way.  If Prince wrote it, it would've been named "I Feel 4 U".

Offline Jaq

« Reply #937 on: July 23, 2012, 11:48:57 AM »

No way.  If Prince wrote it, it would've been named "I Feel 4 U".

:rollin  :rollin

Offline DebraKadabra

• DTF.org Member
  • Can I be as my god am?
« Reply #938 on: July 23, 2012, 12:00:11 PM »

This song was hugely popular, but I never liked it.  And I still don't.  It was a fairly controversial song, too, thanks to the use of the word "faggot" three times in the second verse.  The video was on a few weeks ago on Totally 80s, and I noticed that the second verse was completely omitted from it; I don't remember it being so back when it was played to death in the mid 80s.

It's a good song and video, I just happen to like Sultans of Swing a whole HELL of a lot better.

Offline CrimsonSunrise

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #939 on: July 23, 2012, 12:18:36 PM »

It's a good song and video, I just happen to like Sultans of Swing a whole HELL of a lot better.

Egggzactly!  MFN is more of a pop song to me, where Sultans is some brilliant musicianship.  Knopflers guitar work is incredible in Sultans.

Offline DebraKadabra

• DTF.org Member
  • Can I be as my god am?
« Reply #940 on: July 23, 2012, 12:25:11 PM »
Oh, don't get me wrong though - MFN is good, it's just that Sultans is SO much better.  Agreed about the guitar work too.

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #941 on: July 23, 2012, 01:19:56 PM »
Very true, but that tune is from 1978, so it doesn't really qualify for this thread. 

Scandal - The Warrior

This is kind of a forgotten 80s song, as you never hear anyone talk about it anymore, even in conversations about 80s songs, but it was pretty popular at the time.  I liked it quite a bit when it was out; it has a fun, upbeat chorus that was easy to sing along to.  Listening to it now, it is still a pretty good song, even if there are tons of 80s songs that have aged better for me.

Offline DebraKadabra

• DTF.org Member
  • Can I be as my god am?
« Reply #942 on: July 23, 2012, 01:24:14 PM »
Oh man... the first dude I ever slept with (I was way too young at 14) had a MASSIVE crush on Scandal's singer.

Okay song, okay video.

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #943 on: July 23, 2012, 01:29:03 PM »
Did you wear makeup during the sex like Patty Smyth did in the video? ;)

Offline Jaq

« Reply #944 on: July 23, 2012, 03:01:13 PM »
Did you wear makeup during the sex like Patty Smyth did in the video? ;)

Shut up Kev  :lol

Mostly because you beat me to the joke :P