Author Topic: MTV in the 80s Song of the Day  (Read 313207 times)

Offline jingle.boy

• I'm so ronery; so sad and ronery
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • DTF's resident deceased dictator
Re: MTV in the 80s Song of the Day
« Reply #735 on: June 28, 2012, 12:14:33 PM »
Every Poison album got incrementally better than the one before it up to Native Tongue.  Despite the fact I liked it at the time, this song - and Look What the Cat Dragged in as a whole - represents everything that was wrong with "hair" metal, and what the stereotype is all about.

Oh, and just because I posted a comment in GD side chat referring to talk dirty to me, and someone responded with the below, I had to share it with everyone.  Put your gogglez on, in the hopes that they might do something.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DFY-qYbnSdk
That's a word salad - and take it from me, I know word salad
I fear for the day when something happens on the right that is SO nuts that even Stadler says "That's crazy".
Quote from: Puppies_On_Acid
Remember the mark of a great vocalist is if TAC hates them with a special passion

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
« Reply #736 on: June 28, 2012, 01:14:27 PM »
You know, I...I clicked on the link, got about 30 seconds in, and just said to myself, "I'm never going to get this 4 minutes or so of my life back.  Do I really want to continue?"
"The Supreme Court of the United States has descended from the disciplined legal reasoning of John Marshall and Joseph Story to the mystical aphorisms of the fortune cookie."

Offline DebraKadabra

• Witch Goddess of Lankershim Boulevard
  • DTF.org Member
  • Can I be as my god am?
« Reply #737 on: June 28, 2012, 01:16:36 PM »
I had the exact same reaction. :lol

Offline Sir GuitarCozmo

• Official Forum Sous Chef and broler5
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Kelly Clarkson BEEFS
« Reply #738 on: June 28, 2012, 01:19:00 PM »
Quintessential hair metal staple.  It's one of the most representative songs of the genre, IMO.  Both of my bands play Poison songs, one of them doing TDTM.  Being that Poison are the hometown heroes around here, it never hurts to have them in the set somewhere.  I do quite like the song.

everything that was wrong with "hair" metal

Clearly you're operating from a completely different definition of "wrong" than I am familiar with.

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #739 on: June 28, 2012, 01:23:33 PM »
Say what you want about it, but Talk Dirty to Me is a song that gets people going.  Go to any club or bar with a band playing, and if Talk Dirty to Me is played, people will be all over the dance floor and singing along to the chorus.

Offline Sir GuitarCozmo

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Kelly Clarkson BEEFS
« Reply #740 on: June 28, 2012, 01:24:57 PM »
Absolutely.  Every time.  I try to make the same point to both of my bands about "Girls, Girls, Girls".  There is no faster way to fill up the dance floor with women than to play that song.

Offline jingle.boy

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #741 on: June 28, 2012, 01:33:08 PM »
You know, I...I clicked on the link, got about 30 seconds in, and just said to myself, "I'm never going to get this 4 minutes or so of my life back.  Do I really want to continue?"

and of course you did continue, because you just couldn't ... look ... away....

Quintessential hair metal staple.  It's one of the most representative songs of the genre, IMO.  Both of my bands play Poison songs, one of them doing TDTM.  Being that Poison are the hometown heroes around here, it never hurts to have them in the set somewhere.  I do quite like the song.

everything that was wrong with "hair" metal

Clearly you're operating from a completely different definition of "wrong" than I am familiar with.

Don't get me wrong, I still kinda dig the song, but this was from a band that (at the time) was WAY more focused on their image than their musical or lyrical quality.
I fear for the day when something happens on the right that is SO nuts that even Stadler says "That's crazy".
Remember the mark of a great vocalist is if TAC hates them with a special passion

Offline King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Take that Beethoven, you deaf bastard!!
« Reply #742 on: June 28, 2012, 03:14:06 PM »
I never bought Poison but I dig this song along with Unskinny Bop.  My favorite song by them is Give Me Something To Believe In.
I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down'.” - Bob Newhart
So wait, we're spelling it wrong and king is spelling it right? What is going on here? :lol -- BlobVanDam
"Oh, I am definitely a jackass!" - TAC

Offline jjrock88

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #743 on: June 28, 2012, 04:54:33 PM »
The title track to Look What the Cat Dragged In is my favorite Poison track.  This one is alright; but it's become a generic bar band song- simular to Don't Stop Believing and Livin on a Prayer.

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #744 on: July 05, 2012, 01:10:49 PM »
Scorpions - Rock You Like a Hurricane

Pretty entertaining video, one that easily caught your eye, but I was never a fan of this song, or even of the Scorpions in general, outside of a handful or so of songs. 

Offline jingle.boy

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #745 on: July 05, 2012, 01:12:57 PM »
Great tune.  Don't recall the video to tell you the truth.  One of my earliest memories of hard rock.  Got lots of radio play around here.

Offline BlobVanDam

• Future Boy
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Transform and rock out!
« Reply #746 on: July 05, 2012, 01:13:02 PM »
Talk Dirty to Me - I like Poison, but this isn't a song I ever got into. Unskinny Bop and Nothin' But a Good Time are much better tunes.

Rock You Like a Hurricane - Great song. Never seen the video.
Only King could mis-spell a LETTER.
Yep. I think the only party in the MP/DT situation that hasn't moved on is DTF.

Offline DebraKadabra

• DTF.org Member
  • Can I be as my god am?
« Reply #747 on: July 05, 2012, 01:25:06 PM »
Video was kind of cheesy in that 80s way :lol , but the song still kicks ass. :metal

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
« Reply #748 on: July 05, 2012, 01:38:25 PM »
"The Supreme Court of the United States has descended from the disciplined legal reasoning of John Marshall and Joseph Story to the mystical aphorisms of the fortune cookie."

Offline Jaq

• Favorite song by Europe: Carrie.
« Reply #749 on: July 05, 2012, 01:43:42 PM »
Scorpions are an unusual case for me because, in the 80s, they were one of my favorite bands-I loved the hell out of Blackout, and remember sitting in front of the TV the night MTV premiered Rock You Like A Hurricane, all excited-but later, as I discovered their 70s work, I found that I really, really liked the band a lot better with Uli Jon Roth in it. They didn't quite become a different band when he left, but I rather preferred what he brought to the table.

I will however admit that the 70s Scorpions had perhaps the most IDIOTIC album covers ever. Whoever thought the Virgin Killer cover (and album title for that matter) was a good idea needed a swift kick in the nuts.
The bones of beasts and the bones of kings become dust in the wake of the hymn.
Mighty kingdoms rise, but they all will fall, no more than a breath on the wind.

Offline BlobVanDam

• Future Boy
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Transform and rock out!
« Reply #750 on: July 05, 2012, 01:43:58 PM »
Thanks bosk. I was too lazy to look it up on my own, but I wasn't expecting it to be any good tbh.
Animals, girls, cages, mind numbing concert footage, yep. Classic 80s. :lol :hat
Only King could mis-spell a LETTER.
Yep. I think the only party in the MP/DT situation that hasn't moved on is DTF.

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
« Reply #751 on: July 05, 2012, 01:56:01 PM »
Thanks bosk. I was too lazy to look it up on my own, but I wasn't expecting it to be any good tbh.
Animals, girls, cages, mind numbing concert footage, yep. Classic 80s. :lol :hat

Definitely.  And for whatever reason it was included, the fleeting shot of the panther licking its chops about 10 seconds in is probably the most awesome shot in the entire video (and I mean that it a good way).  :lol

Also, I have to give the solo in this song MAJOR props.  One of the best, most memorable solos in '80s rock.

Offline Sir GuitarCozmo

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Kelly Clarkson BEEFS
« Reply #752 on: July 05, 2012, 01:58:15 PM »
RYLAH is one of those songs that if you are going to learn to play guitar, YOU MUST LEARN THIS RIFF!!  It's like learning the main riffs to Smoke on the Water or Whole Lotta Love or Crazy Train or Paranoid or something.

Also, I have to give the solo in this song MAJOR props.  One of the best, most memorable solos in '80s rock.

Also, this.

Offline jjrock88

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #753 on: July 05, 2012, 02:08:10 PM »
Love the Scorps

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
« Reply #754 on: July 05, 2012, 02:15:52 PM »
RYLAH is one of those songs that if you are going to learn to play guitar, YOU MUST LEARN THIS RIFF!!  It's like learning the main riffs to Smoke on the Water or Whole Lotta Love or Crazy Train or Paranoid or something.

But, see, that's one of the problems with the song.  You are right.  And as an aspiring young guitarist at the time the song came out, I was thrilled when someone showed me that main riff.  Those are MY fingers producing a genuine heavy metal riff.  And then I learned how to palm mute and play the verse.  I cannot be more pleased with how well my playing has progressed so quickly.  Truly, I must have a unique talent at this instrument to have become the living embodiment of heavy metal so quickly.  ...And then you get to the solo.  And if you've just picked up a guitar for the first time only months before, you give it a go for a little while, and then eventually just slam the guitar undre your bed and go, "SCREW THIS!  Guitar is dumb anyway!  I'm gonna go ride bikes."

Offline Jaq

« Reply #755 on: July 05, 2012, 02:17:36 PM »

But, see, that's one of the problems with the song.  You are right.  And as an aspiring young guitarist at the time the song came out, I was thrilled when someone showed me that main riff.  And then I learned how to palm mute and play the verse.  And then you get to the solo.  And if you've just picked up a guitar for the first time months before, you give it a go for a little while, and then eventually just slam the guitar undre your bed and go, "SCREW THIS!  Guitar is dumb anyway!  I'm gonna go ride bikes."

:rollin
Mighty kingdoms rise, but they all will fall, no more than a breath on the wind.

Offline Sir GuitarCozmo

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Kelly Clarkson BEEFS
« Reply #756 on: July 05, 2012, 02:23:35 PM »

But, see, that's one of the problems with the song.  You are right.  And as an aspiring young guitarist at the time the song came out, I was thrilled when someone showed me that main riff.  Those are MY fingers producing a genuine heavy metal riff.  And then I learned how to palm mute and play the verse.  I cannot be more pleased with how well my playing has progressed so quickly.  Truly, I must have a unique talent at this instrument to have become the living embodiment of heavy metal so quickly.  ...And then you get to the solo.  And if you've just picked up a guitar for the first time only months before, you give it a go for a little while, and then eventually just slam the guitar undre your bed and go, "SCREW THIS!  Guitar is dumb anyway!  I'm gonna go ride bikes."

Another symptom of Lead Singer Disease.

:flame:

Offline King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #757 on: July 05, 2012, 03:18:36 PM »
Scorpions - Rock You Like a Hurricane

Pretty entertaining video, one that easily caught your eye, but I was never a fan of this song, or even of the Scorpions in general, outside of a handful or so of songs.

Ah, I can still see the 16 year old kingshmegland playing this in a barn at the other guitarist house.  We has this as the 3rd song in our list.  Funny how a band that never played out at the time had it's song's all laid out for a 2 hour show. :lol
I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down'.” - Bob Newhart
So wait, we're spelling it wrong and king is spelling it right? What is going on here? :lol -- BlobVanDam

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #758 on: July 05, 2012, 03:39:23 PM »
I knew that song would get this thread going again.  I am so smart. :biggrin: :biggrin: :biggrin:

Saga - On the Loose

Very cool song, and I am pretty sure this was their biggest hit ever.  Wind Him Up is pretty great as well.  And apparently this band has an extremely fanatical fanbase, but I can't say I've ever heard anything else by them except those two songs.

Offline King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #759 on: July 05, 2012, 04:04:23 PM »
Kev.  I do a mowing the lawn song list that I post on Facebook all the time and I'm doing an 80's list this weekend and this song will be on it.

Online Orbert

• Recovering Musician
  • EZBoard Elder
  • In and around the lake
« Reply #760 on: July 05, 2012, 04:21:36 PM »
Great song, and a very cool video.  We used to do this song in the band I was in; the instrumental break with the interplay between the guitar and keyboards was sweet.  Hard to learn, but fun to play and a great fourth set song.

Saga is one of those bands that had some hits, so people checked them out and discovered that they had actual chops and depth to their writing.  Like a Canadian version of Kansas or something.  Maybe not quite as prog, but they definitely had some skills.

About the coolest and proggiest thing they did was the Chapters concept.  There were eight songs on the first album; the last song on Side One was "Will It Be You? (Chapter Four)" and the last song on Side Two was "Tired World (Chapter Six)".  No explanation was given for why they were titled that way.  The second album opened with "It's Time (Chapter 3)" and also included "Images (Chapter 1)".  Still nothing in the liner notes, and this was all pre-Internet so there weren't many sources of information except maybe the official fan club or whatever.  Eventually they wrote sixteen Chapters which, when played in order, formed a story.  It was a science fiction story about aliens who come to earth and resurrect Albert Einstein so that he can help them save humanity from self-destruction.  Their concert tour that year produced The Chapters Live where they played all sixteen Chapters in order.

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
« Reply #761 on: July 05, 2012, 04:38:25 PM »
Kev.  I do a mowing the lawn song list that I post on Facebook all the time and I'm doing an 80's list this weekend and this song will be on it.

???  How big is your lawn that you need an entire list of songs for mowing?

Offline King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #762 on: July 05, 2012, 04:53:22 PM »

???  How big is your lawn that you need an entire list of songs for mowing?

Almost an acre.  It takes me about 1 1/2 hours to mow and 2 if I trim along the edges.  I love making different song lists each week.

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
« Reply #763 on: July 05, 2012, 05:11:31 PM »

Another symptom of Lead Singer Disease.

:flame:

Yes, well, I would guess the number of lead singers spawned in the '80s by being former guitarists who tried learning the solo for RYLAH and choosing to go ride bikes instead is pretty high, actually, so there you go.

Offline jjrock88

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #764 on: July 05, 2012, 06:16:44 PM »
Saga is a great band from Canada; big fan.  They have prog aspects to them for sure.  I would recommend "Worlds Apart" or their best of.

Offline Jaq

« Reply #765 on: July 05, 2012, 06:25:16 PM »
I knew that song would get this thread going again.  I am so smart. :biggrin: :biggrin: :biggrin:

Saga - On the Loose

Very cool song, and I am pretty sure this was their biggest hit ever.  Wind Him Up is pretty great as well.  And apparently this band has an extremely fanatical fanbase, but I can't say I've ever heard anything else by them except those two songs.

Oh Saga, now here's another "Jaq remembers WAY too much about MTV in the early days" story.  :P

Let's flash back to the early days of MTV, shall we? Our wayback machine is set to late 1981, when MTV was young and having 20 some channels was state of the art. MTV back then was not the MTV we came to know, of course; it was twenty four hours a day, seven days a week of music videos, with only a couple of hours on Saturday nights devoted to whatever concert they could get their hands on. In 1981, there simply weren't that many videos, and most of them, the lion's share, came from British bands, which is where the form really came into being, which is largely why the British new wave invasion happened in the first place. MTV then had two methods of survival without boring you to death by playing a handful of videos constantly; the first was to cut up any of the concerts they played into single songs, which is why nine times out of ten in late 1981 you could tune into MTV and see a live REO Speedwagon video, as that was (1) MTV's first concert and (2) cut up into something on the order of 12 single song videos. The other method was to play any music video out there, and damn the genre. And the more videos an artist had, the better! This is why Rod Stewart was one of the champions of early MTV, why you could see Iron Maiden play Wrathchild live, the video for Juice Netwon's Queen of Hearts, Bette Davis Eyes by Kim Carnes, and Turn it On Again by Genesis in a row. Followed by REO Speedwagon and something by Madness. In Fall 1981 you couldn't get out of an hour of MTV without something by Madness playing.

And in the midst of all of these videos, in the freewheeling, anything goes days of MTV, were two videos by a band called Saga: Careful Where You Step and Don't Be Late.

These days, Saga sounds like a meeting point between prog rock and AOR, but back when those videos were thrown into the fire just to fill a spot, they sounded otherworldly to young me. I loved these guys! Young me didn't realize you could have more than one keyboardist in a band, or the keyboardist playing unisons with the guitarist, and what are those spacey sounding vocals (they were vocoder vocals, for the record)? And what's more, a lot of people liked Saga here in my neck of the woods in Virginia. MTV, you see, wasn't available everywhere when it launched, so if you were fortunate enough to have MTV, you felt kind of like a colonist out on the edge of the musical frontier.

And then On The Loose came out, and that's when things got really fun with Saga. Saga played the Hampton Coliseum as an opening act three times on their tour for Worlds Apart, and for a while, they were sort of our band. I even think a member of the band married someone he met here on one of those tours. So it was kind of neat when Worlds Apart took off, so to speak. Because it felt like WE made a band, and it was quite possibly the last dying gasp of the more territorial music scene of the 70s, where a band could sell out arenas in St. Louis and play bars in Philadelphia. I'll always have a fondness for Saga for that reason...doesn't hurt that their first four albums are fuckin brilliant too.

Offline DebraKadabra

• DTF.org Member
  • Can I be as my god am?
« Reply #766 on: July 05, 2012, 06:28:20 PM »
Saga - On the Loose

Never saw the video, but I've always dug the song.

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
« Reply #767 on: July 05, 2012, 06:54:39 PM »
[Cool Story]

Cool story, bro.  Seriously.

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #768 on: July 05, 2012, 07:08:11 PM »
Time to throw one more out there today before I head out for the evening....

Guns N' Roses - Welcome to the Jungle

A song I am sure most of us have heard 1,000 times by now, this is one of the very few songs by them, IMO, that is actually worthy of the attention it has gotten.  It is a kickass rocker, and it has aged very well.  This was the first song most of us heard by the band, and it could easily be argued that everything else that came after it failed to top this.

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
« Reply #769 on: July 05, 2012, 07:11:23 PM »
Guns N' Roses - Welcome to the Jungle

A song I am sure most of us have heard 1,000 times by now, this is one of the very few songs by them, IMO, that is actually worthy of the attention it has gotten.  It is a kickass rocker, and it has aged very well.  This was the first song most of us heard by the band, and it could easily be argued that everything else that came after it failed to top this.

I agree with every word of this post.