Author Topic: MTV in the 80s Song of the Day  (Read 308368 times)

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
Re: MTV in the 80s Song of the Day
« Reply #420 on: May 22, 2012, 12:39:55 PM »
Tears for Fears - Everybody Wants to Rule the World

Seriously, who doesn't like this song?  It is just a great song all-around, and very easy to sing along to.

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
« Reply #421 on: May 22, 2012, 12:43:08 PM »
Seriously, who doesn't like this song? 

This.
"The Supreme Court of the United States has descended from the disciplined legal reasoning of John Marshall and Joseph Story to the mystical aphorisms of the fortune cookie."

Offline King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Take that Beethoven, you deaf bastard!!
« Reply #422 on: May 22, 2012, 12:47:19 PM »
Loved them.  Great live and if you've never picked up their comback album Everybody Loves A Happy Ending, do so now.

Also, great tune.
I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down'.” - Bob Newhart
So wait, we're spelling it wrong and king is spelling it right? What is going on here? :lol -- BlobVanDam
"Oh, I am definitely a jackass!" - TAC

Offline Sir GuitarCozmo

• Official Forum Sous Chef and broler5
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Kelly Clarkson BEEFS
« Reply #423 on: May 22, 2012, 12:47:34 PM »
It makes me think of the end of Real Genius.

Offline jingle.boy

• I'm so ronery; so sad and ronery
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • DTF's resident deceased dictator
« Reply #424 on: May 22, 2012, 04:56:27 PM »
Cool song, not my fave from them, but good anyway.
That's a word salad - and take it from me, I know word salad
I fear for the day when something happens on the right that is SO nuts that even Stadler says "That's crazy".
Quote from: Puppies_On_Acid
Remember the mark of a great vocalist is if TAC hates them with a special passion

Offline Cool Chris

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #425 on: May 22, 2012, 05:01:47 PM »
It makes me think of the end of Real Genius.

Was going to post the exact same thing. Great use of the song, and a good song in its own right.
"Nostalgia is just the ability to forget the things that sucked" - Nelson DeMille, 'Up Country'

Offline dbrooks22

• Facilities Manager
« Reply #426 on: May 22, 2012, 05:05:47 PM »
LOVE the drums in this song.  And the bass. 

And the song.

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #427 on: May 24, 2012, 11:58:28 AM »
Bruce Springsteen - Dancing in the Dark

For a lot of younger folks, like myself at the time, this song and video was our introduction to Bruce Springsteen, and I have to admit that I absolutely loved this song back then; I still like it a lot, too.  The video, despite being merely an on stage concert-like one, managed to be really interesting, thanks to Springsteen's on stage persona and of course the end of the video, which featured him pulling a fan, the then-unknown Courtney Cox, on stage to dance with him.  This is an iconic 80s video by any standard.

Offline jingle.boy

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #428 on: May 24, 2012, 12:04:36 PM »
My most loathed song from Born in the USA.  Disliked this song, and still dislike it to this day.  Just never clicked with me.  Frankly, I'm not a huge fan of Born in the USA.  It was kinda like his Black album... where he "sold out" to be more commercially accepted.  I'm not saying it was a bad move, but I just saw this as him turning a corner and more driven to be commercially accepted.
I fear for the day when something happens on the right that is SO nuts that even Stadler says "That's crazy".
Remember the mark of a great vocalist is if TAC hates them with a special passion

Offline King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #429 on: May 24, 2012, 12:08:30 PM »
MTV destroyed this song for me playing on the hour for a year straight.
I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down'.” - Bob Newhart
So wait, we're spelling it wrong and king is spelling it right? What is going on here? :lol -- BlobVanDam

Offline Jaq

• Favorite song by Europe: Carrie.
« Reply #430 on: May 24, 2012, 12:08:59 PM »
Dancing in the Dark will forever be known to me for being the Bruce Springsteen song with synthesizers in it. I honestly don't know enough about Springsteen's music to know whether or not Born in The USA was his first use of synthesizers, but I went to school with someone who was a fan and had the memorable reaction of "that song's got fucking synthesizers in it!" when the video hit MTV. It's pretty much one of the videos that most defined the 80s for music though, I'll give it that.
The bones of beasts and the bones of kings become dust in the wake of the hymn.
Mighty kingdoms rise, but they all will fall, no more than a breath on the wind.

Offline Orbert

• Recovering Musician
  • EZBoard Elder
  • In and around the lake
« Reply #431 on: May 24, 2012, 12:11:53 PM »
Bruce's turn to the Dark Side.  He used to write long, narrative songs with lots of changes and verses and feeling.  Now he writes long songs with lots of verses, no changes and no feeling.  "Dancing in the Dark", "Born in the USA", "Glory Days", "I'm on Fire" -- every one of those songs is literally the same two-bar riff the entire fucking song.  I was at a Springsteen concert once and half the band committed suicide right on the stage out of sheer boredom.  Okay, I might've made that last part up.  But the rest is true.

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #432 on: May 24, 2012, 12:23:26 PM »
The Clash - Rock the Casbah

Definitely one of the most played videos of 1982, Rock the Casbah is still an enjoyable tune, and the video, featuring a fair amount of random silliness, still reminds me of being a kid.  I know most think of Combat Rock and whatnot when The Clash come to mind, but for me, this is the one song of theirs that I always go back to. 

Offline Orbert

• Recovering Musician
  • EZBoard Elder
  • In and around the lake
« Reply #433 on: May 24, 2012, 12:31:34 PM »
Oh KevShmev, did you really cut Bruce short because we were all ragging on him?  MTV in the 80's Song of the Half-Hour?

Okay then.  My favorite part of this song was the bluesy piano intro, but the rest of the song was pretty catchy and fun.  We never knew what the words to the chorus were, but we sang this song anyway.

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #434 on: May 24, 2012, 12:33:52 PM »
Haha, no, I am just trying to pick up my own slack :biggrin:, and I did say early on that there would be days where I'd do several songs a day. ;)

Offline jingle.boy

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #435 on: May 24, 2012, 12:37:30 PM »
Bruce's turn to the Dark Side.  He used to write long, narrative songs with lots of changes and verses and feeling.  Now he writes long songs with lots of verses, no changes and no feeling.  "Dancing in the Dark", "Born in the USA", "Glory Days", "I'm on Fire" -- every one of those songs is literally the same two-bar riff the entire fucking song.  I was at a Springsteen concert once and half the band committed suicide right on the stage out of sheer boredom.  Okay, I might've made that last part up.  But the rest is true.

Some of his newer material is back to the old Bruce.  I don't have the newest album, but 2009s Working on a Dream is pretty good.  Closer to his 70s/early 80s material.

Offline Orbert

• Recovering Musician
  • EZBoard Elder
  • In and around the lake
« Reply #436 on: May 24, 2012, 12:53:19 PM »
Actually, I've heard that, that he's gotten back to his roots a bit, but I keep forgetting to follow up on it.  I used to like his early stuff.  Not all of it; some of it was just a bit too mumbly for me, but some of it was really cool.  Thanks for the reminder.

Offline DebraKadabra

• Witch Goddess of Lankershim Boulevard
  • DTF.org Member
  • Can I be as my god am?
« Reply #437 on: May 24, 2012, 05:44:30 PM »
Damn, I've missed considerably more songs than I've talked about so I won't backtrack.  Would take too long.

Current song - I hated it at first, then one day realized how awesome it was.  IMO, The Clash have always been criminally underrated.

Offline King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #438 on: May 24, 2012, 06:55:44 PM »
The Clash - Rock the Casbah

Definitely one of the most played videos of 1982, Rock the Casbah is still an enjoyable tune, and the video, featuring a fair amount of random silliness, still reminds me of being a kid.  I know most think of Combat Rock and whatnot when The Clash come to mind, but for me, this is the one song of theirs that I always go back to.

Like the song but I was never a Clash fan but the tune has and is very catchy.

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #439 on: May 25, 2012, 09:58:59 AM »
Billy Idol - Rebel Yell

Good song, but one of which I was never a big fan.  I liked most of his other hits from the 80s better, but I decided to pick this one to discuss for now since it was very popular and is among his most rocking known songs.

Offline Jaq

• Favorite song by Europe: Carrie.
« Reply #440 on: May 25, 2012, 10:39:21 AM »
There are about ten songs that, to me, exemplify the 80s. Rebel Yell and Rock the Casbah are, in fact, two of them.  :lol
« Last Edit: May 25, 2012, 10:46:24 AM by Jaq »
The bones of beasts and the bones of kings become dust in the wake of the hymn.
Mighty kingdoms rise, but they all will fall, no more than a breath on the wind.

Offline crazyaga

• Frantic Foxy
« Reply #441 on: May 25, 2012, 10:45:11 AM »
i dont really like the 80's
I love beautiful things.

Offline BlobVanDam

• Future Boy
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Transform and rock out!
« Reply #442 on: May 25, 2012, 10:47:03 AM »

Then you probably shouldn't bother with a thread about '80s songs then? Just a thought.
Only King could mis-spell a LETTER.
Yep. I think the only party in the MP/DT situation that hasn't moved on is DTF.

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #443 on: May 25, 2012, 11:49:26 AM »

Then you probably shouldn't bother with a thread about '80s songs then? Just a thought.

For sure.  If you don't like the 80s, then I would please ask that you stay out of this thread and leave it to those of us who do. :)

Offline SeRoX

• DTF.org Member
  • The VoiceMaster
« Reply #444 on: May 25, 2012, 12:07:22 PM »
Rebel Yell is one the song that you could hear at almost every cafe here at Turkey in the 90s but now...  :facepalm: Old but gold days. Crazy song.
Quote from: Plasmastrike
SeRoX is right!
Quote from: Nihil-Morari
SeRoX is DTF's JLB!
As usual, SeRoX is correct.

Offline Cool Chris

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #445 on: May 25, 2012, 12:27:15 PM »
Never a big Idol fan, but a fun song. Maybe my favorite of his if I had to pick one.
"Nostalgia is just the ability to forget the things that sucked" - Nelson DeMille, 'Up Country'

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #446 on: May 25, 2012, 03:40:59 PM »
Tears for Fears - Everybody Wants to Rule the World

Seriously, who doesn't like this song?  It is just a great song all-around, and very easy to sing along to.

One of my fav songs of all time, it's amazing, the atmosphere this song creates is incredible.

Billy Idol - Rebel Yell

Good song, but one of which I was never a big fan.  I liked most of his other hits from the 80s better, but I decided to pick this one to discuss for now since it was very popular and is among his most rocking known songs.

Good song.  We use to cover this all the time, really fun song to play live.
Everyone else, except Wolfking is wrong.

Offline DebraKadabra

• DTF.org Member
  • Can I be as my god am?
« Reply #447 on: May 25, 2012, 04:47:22 PM »
I liked Eyes Without a Face better than Rebel Yell back in the day.  I also absolutely HATED White Wedding back then too, and I dig on that song now.  Weird.  Anyway, Rebel Yell is a rocker, but not my favorite of Billy's stuff.

Offline Orbert

• Recovering Musician
  • EZBoard Elder
  • In and around the lake
« Reply #448 on: May 25, 2012, 05:21:44 PM »
Rebel Yell was cool because "Yeah, the song is okay, but the guitarist kicks fucking ass!"  I'm actually something of a Steve Stevens fan now, whereas Billy Idol never impressed me much.  "Eyes Without a Face" was cool because it has the break that somehow goes into double tempo without the beat actually changing.  I thought that was cool.

Offline DebraKadabra

• DTF.org Member
  • Can I be as my god am?
« Reply #449 on: May 25, 2012, 05:28:28 PM »
Completely agreed on Steve Stevens - criminally underrated.

Offline King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #450 on: May 25, 2012, 05:30:59 PM »
Rebel Yell was cool because "Yeah, the song is okay, but the guitarist kicks fucking ass!"  I'm actually something of a Steve Stevens fan now, whereas Billy Idol never impressed me much.  "Eyes Without a Face" was cool because it has the break that somehow goes into double tempo without the beat actually changing.  I thought that was cool.

And that's why Idol took off around that time.  Steve Stevens co wrote a lot of the songs.

Offline Orbert

• Recovering Musician
  • EZBoard Elder
  • In and around the lake
« Reply #451 on: May 25, 2012, 10:02:46 PM »
That makes sense.  He does seem to be featured in a lot of Idol's songs.

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #452 on: May 25, 2012, 11:03:22 PM »
The lead guitar in the middle of Eyes Without a Face is pretty badass.

Offline jingle.boy

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #453 on: May 26, 2012, 04:29:19 AM »
I only had the Idol greatest hits disk - Vital Idol I think it was called.  Seems as though I lost it a long time ago.  All quality tracks, but Mony Mony was always my fave, especially at public school dances.   ;)

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #454 on: May 26, 2012, 08:34:38 AM »
Phil Collins and Philip Bailey - Easy Lover

Good song, and fun little video.  Nothing particularly special about either, but I always dug both the song and the video.  Phil Collins was one of the kings of hamming it up in 80s videos, and this one is a good example.