Author Topic: Sonata Arctica thread  (Read 130656 times)

Offline Evermind

• DTF.org Alumni
Re: Sonata Arctica thread
« Reply #700 on: January 25, 2014, 01:17:23 AM »
But it's so damn boring.  :)
Well, this is the band that wrote I Have a Right :neverusethis:

I'm being too harsh :lol

The only part of I Have A Right that I liked was the part where Tony screamed "I'M NOT YOU!". That was awesome. I can do without the rest of it.

:lol

Well, the verses in I Have a Right are decent.
« Last Edit: January 25, 2014, 02:17:58 AM by Evermind »
This first band is Soen very cool swingy jazz fusion kinda stuff.

Offline ?

• Apparently the best username
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Less=Moore, Even Less=Wilson
« Reply #701 on: January 25, 2014, 01:34:09 AM »
For the record, I like the lyrics and the message of that song, but musically it's a snoozefest thanks to the chorus that's repeated five million times.

Offline Evermind

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #702 on: January 25, 2014, 08:13:23 AM »
They just announced Russian dates. Gonna get my ticket to Moscow concert next week.

Oh and I participated in this facebook lottery they're doing, though I'm sure I'm not gonna win.  :lol
« Last Edit: January 25, 2014, 08:19:00 AM by Evermind »

Offline Shadow Ninja 2.0

• Heir Transparent
  • Transcribing Existence Rivets
« Reply #703 on: January 25, 2014, 09:28:20 AM »
For the record, I like the lyrics and the message of that song, but musically it's a snoozefest thanks to the chorus that's repeated five million times.

The lyrics may be all right, but the spoken bit was horrific. :lol

Offline ?

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #704 on: January 25, 2014, 10:23:06 AM »
The lyrics may be all right, but the spoken bit was horrific. :lol
The little girl who speaks there is so cute that I don't mind it :D

(She appeared in one of the "making of SGHN" videos, probably the final one)

Offline ?

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #705 on: January 31, 2014, 04:48:07 AM »
I saw Sonata live last night at the local concert hall :metal The performance was great, the band was having a great time and we got 2 hours of music. Pasi was headbanging, interacting with his bandmates and was overall way more energetic on stage than Marko ever was. Tony's banter was comedy gold: for example, he started the introduction to Flag in the Ground saying "In the late 1800s... *drinks water* ...Tony was thirsty" :lol He also acknowledged the screens at the venue's entrance that said the performance would last 1 hour and 15 minutes - "hahaha, we won't let you out that quickly!" I can't remember much about The Wolves Die Young, but you can watch a live video from Helsinki and judge by yourselves. I thought it was a weird idea to open with a song nobody had heard (in full) before.

The setlist included a lot of stuff I hadn't seen them play before (White Pearl, Black Oceans :heart) and In the Dark was a pleasant surprise, but I had expected more obscure song picks. This would've been the perfect opportunity to play longer songs like The Power of One and Deathaura... Also, I knew the focus would be on the first few albums, but playing only ONE song from Unia in a 20-song setlist is a big WTF :huh: It was a nice setlist overall, but could've been even better.

The audience was pretty dead until people finally started standing up towards the end of the show - I guess most of them had never been to a seated metal concert before, and I have to admit I was a bit confused as well :lol The sound wasn't exactly great (at least where I was sitting) during the first few songs, but it got better. Henkka was having some trouble with his keytar and it was mute for most of his solo in Full Moon.

I took a couple of photos, but my seat was pretty far from the stage and the lights and zooming made them crap. All in all, the show was definitely worth the 34€ I paid, but I realized that a concert hall isn't exactly the ideal venue for metal concerts, except maybe if there are some extra visual elements.

E: I found a video of In the Dark: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QxRQtDh9-A8

Offline Evermind

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #706 on: January 31, 2014, 05:19:44 AM »
The setlist is great I think. If they'll keep White Pearls, Black Oceans in for the album tour, I'll be very happy.

Offline adastra

« Reply #707 on: January 31, 2014, 12:02:40 PM »
It was 3 months ago when I started to listen to this band.
I don't know why I never tried, but I decided to give them a chance cos they are from KEMI  which is pretty close to where I was  born.
Of course I had already heard all the "radio-songs".

So,  I was going to take a road trip with my Mercedes Benz  and Decided to get some new CD's for the ride.. I bought Winterhearts guild..
And boy, did it kick ass.. Amazing vocal melodies, beautiful shit... I was suprised!
Abandoned, Please, Brainwashed, Exploited  Was my favourite song.. solid fucking gold from start to finish

I decided to get more Sonata albums!!!   Reckoning night and Unia !
I liked both, but Unia was a little bit hard album to get into!  But yeah, Unia has pretty good song too.

Finally , not long ago I bought the new album, Stones Grow Her name....   What a shitfest..  I really don't like it very much ._.
But, funny thing is that even how bad it is, it just might include my fav. Sonata song ever, Cinderblox!   what a great song!! good chorus and Funny bluegrassy feeling!

I'm waiting the new album pretty anxiously!!!  I'm sure it is going to be a great ride,  even though the 1min30sec clip of the the wolves die young doesn't sound very promising... Good chorus but pretty fucking weird verse. haha

In couple of weeks I'm gonna see them live here at Seinäjoki.. It is some kind of "15th anniversary tour"  or sumthing... I hope to hear those old songs, and cindefuckingblox ! Its gonna be sweet.. Maybe sweeter than my lil sister haha... wut????? o.o

Sorry for this post... I'm drinking beer and getting kinda drunk..  Yeah, rock on !
« Last Edit: January 31, 2014, 12:09:52 PM by adastra »
Stay by my side / as I fade / so you can point to the end of my struggle /and the twilight of eternal days / at the low, dark edge of life.

Offline Evermind

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #708 on: January 31, 2014, 12:10:55 PM »
Well, I don't really like Stones Grow Her Name.

The Days of Grays, on the other hand... could be my favourite album along with Reckoning Night. I know some people there don't like it at all, but TDOG for me is a real masterpiece where Sonata managed to get their strange ideas work. Bloody brilliant from the first second to the last one (except Zeroes).

Oh, and I could never get into Unia.

Offline Shadow Ninja 2.0

• Heir Transparent
  • Transcribing Existence Rivets
« Reply #709 on: January 31, 2014, 12:14:54 PM »
...One day I'm going to get another SA album (all I have is Ecliptica). :lol

Though I have heard other songs.

Offline Evermind

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #710 on: January 31, 2014, 12:28:28 PM »
I say buy Reckoning Night, it's amazing. Or if you really like Eclipcita, try Silence.

But actually, buy them all, maybe you'll like Unia or SGHN, who knows.

I'm thinking about starting SA survivor after Avantasia one will end. Admittedly, it's two months away, but still.

Offline ?

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #711 on: January 31, 2014, 02:34:41 PM »
I'm definitely interested in a SA survivor (having run one myself a few years ago) - bring it on! :metal

Kosmo

« Reply #712 on: January 31, 2014, 03:06:40 PM »
SA survivor would be neat. I think my opinions on the band are pretty uncommon so it should be interesting, just as an example I think that Ecliptica is the band's weakest album by far.  :P

Online wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #713 on: January 31, 2014, 03:31:51 PM »
Yeah, I'd join the survivor again.
Everyone else, except Wolfking is wrong.

Offline Evermind

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #714 on: February 01, 2014, 03:56:37 AM »
Well, I'll do it then after Avantasia survivor will end, as I said. By this time, Pariah's Child would be just out I guess, and while we'll be voting out earlier albums, there'll be a lot of time for the new record to sink in.

I might need a couple of advises about it, so I'll ask away when the time will come.

Offline PolarizeMe

« Reply #715 on: February 01, 2014, 11:41:55 AM »
I'll be happy if they keep Kingdom For A Heart for the US leg, that's the one song from Ecliptica that I'd love to see live. Other than that, I love the fact that they've brought out a lot of songs from Silence since that's my favorite SA album.

Offline ?

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #716 on: February 01, 2014, 02:40:56 PM »
I'll be happy if they keep Kingdom For A Heart for the US leg, that's the one song from Ecliptica that I'd love to see live. Other than that, I love the fact that they've brought out a lot of songs from Silence since that's my favorite SA album.
They didn't play KFAH in full, as it was segued into Wolf & Raven after the second chorus (no Letter to Dana lyrics). W&R was a huge surprise for me, because Tony has said he dislikes that song and wishes he hadn't written it. I'm not crazy about it either, but it was played in a much lower key and Tony's vocals sounded more pleasant than on the album. On a side note, Victoria's Secret has been transposed two semitones down from the original key and listening to the final chorus made it clear that it was a clever thing to do.

I find it pretty ironic that when I saw SA on the second Euro leg of the TDOG tour they didn't play anything from Silence, but now a quarter of the anniversary setlist is stuff from that album :D

Offline PolarizeMe

« Reply #717 on: February 01, 2014, 07:29:23 PM »
I'm watching the live clip of the new song...I like it a lot, at least I like it more than anything off of SGHN.

Offline Evermind

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #718 on: February 02, 2014, 01:10:12 AM »
I ordered a band-signed single, so I'll just wait till it arrives and listen to the new song then. :D

Kosmo

« Reply #719 on: February 06, 2014, 09:09:22 AM »
Studio version is out!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rEu4v-xX-Q4

It's catchy and fun and I really like the lyrics. Just a solid single.
« Last Edit: February 07, 2014, 04:13:43 AM by Kosmo »

Offline ?

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #720 on: February 06, 2014, 09:19:43 AM »
It was hard to judge the song after hearing it live, because the sound was kind of crappy at the beginning of the show, but now I can hear all the details and stuff. I still haven't warmed up to the overhappy verse, but the chorus is catchy and on the whole this sounds better than the low points of SGHN.

Offline Evermind

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #721 on: February 06, 2014, 10:04:55 AM »
Must resist and not listen.

I've read on Sonata forum the album sounds like a happier version of TDOG. I'm not sure I'll be fine with it, because I love TDOG exactly for it's bleakness and dark, gloomy mood.

Online wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #722 on: February 06, 2014, 01:23:51 PM »
Studio version is out!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=92Xmwaf_Tog

Sounds like a mix of Unia and RN, I like it a lot.
Everyone else, except Wolfking is wrong.

Offline adace

« Reply #723 on: February 06, 2014, 03:04:29 PM »
Good song.

Offline PolarizeMe

« Reply #724 on: February 06, 2014, 04:33:15 PM »
Studio version is out!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=92Xmwaf_Tog

Sounds like a mix of Unia and RN, I like it a lot.

My thoughts exactly! I actually thought it also had a little bit of Silence in there as well. I really dig this song, and I think Pasi's little bass riff in the beginning was cool.

Offline Orthogonal

« Reply #725 on: February 07, 2014, 01:00:16 AM »
Album is shaping up nicely. I had written them off after the travesty of SGHN, but I'll give them another chance here. Anything even remotely in the vein of early SA would be welcome.

Offline Scrub206

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #726 on: February 07, 2014, 04:42:44 PM »
Wow.. I might actually be buying the new album.  :metal

Offline PolarizeMe

« Reply #727 on: February 07, 2014, 06:17:31 PM »
I was gonna see them later this year anyway regardless of how the album was gonna turn out for me, but listening to the single for the past few days makes me even more excited to see them. I might actually buy the album on the day of release.  :metal

Offline ?

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #728 on: February 12, 2014, 09:47:16 AM »
Official video for The Wolves Die Young

The performance scenes look good, but whoever decided that the conceptual footage should be 100% based on the lyrics could've used more imagination :P I don't find the acting too great, either :mehlin I mean, it's just a music video but still...
« Last Edit: February 12, 2014, 09:55:12 AM by ? »

Offline Evermind

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #729 on: February 12, 2014, 12:08:02 PM »
My single shipped only yesterday despite the pre-order, so like another 10 days of waiting.  :lol

Also, no tickets for Russian dates yet. I know it's only in November, but I like to have all the things fixed so this annoys me a bit.  :D

Offline MoraWintersoul

• Gloom Cookie
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • welcome to the wasteland
« Reply #730 on: February 12, 2014, 01:12:57 PM »
Patrick Ullaeus is pretty rubbish; that's actually one of his better videos.

Don't try to BS her about Kevin Moore facts, she will obscure quote you in the face.

type : mora : and delete the spaces for a surprise

Offline PolarizeMe

« Reply #731 on: February 13, 2014, 08:58:48 AM »
To be honest, I've always thought that the conceptual footage for their music videos were never really great to begin with. Even Pull Me Under's conceptual footage despite it's irrelevance to the lyrics was better than the one in The Wolves Die Young IMO. However, I liked the performance footage of the band and they should've done a performance only music video instead. It would've be great for the fans to see more of Pasi if they've never seen him play before.

Offline Jaq

• Favorite song by Europe: Carrie.
« Reply #732 on: February 13, 2014, 10:51:03 AM »
It's not Shitload of Money, but I'm going to need to hear the rest of the album before I buy it. I am resigning myself to the fact that I'm just not going to like anything after Reckoning Night, though.
The bones of beasts and the bones of kings become dust in the wake of the hymn.
Mighty kingdoms rise, but they all will fall, no more than a breath on the wind.

Offline MoraWintersoul

• Gloom Cookie
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • welcome to the wasteland
« Reply #733 on: February 13, 2014, 05:45:51 PM »
It would've be great for the fans to see more of Pasi if they've never seen him play before.
it's hard to see anything with that damn backlighting though :lol

Don't try to BS her about Kevin Moore facts, she will obscure quote you in the face.

type : mora : and delete the spaces for a surprise

Offline ?

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #734 on: February 17, 2014, 11:46:32 PM »
Furthermore, SONATA ARCTICA will release the second digital single from »Pariah’s Child« called ‘Cloud Factory’ on February 28, 2014.

Commented vocalist &keyboardist Tony Kakko: “It has some kind of an ear-worm factor. It's not a bad thing to have in a single. A story about how dad already sees his young son going to work in the same factory he still goes and where his dad and dad's dad went before him, and how that pleasantly vicious circle never ends.”

EDIT: Something hilarious: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BRY43jH2OtU
« Last Edit: February 18, 2014, 12:02:19 AM by ? »