Author Topic: The official Frontiers Softcock Shit thread  (Read 578033 times)

Offline Lowdz

Re: The official melodic rock/AOR thread
« Reply #1470 on: January 24, 2014, 01:57:20 PM »
On others' suggestions, I just too the leap with them.  16.6 and Unbreakable are dynamite.  I also got Seven Seals, and have no complaints.

Nice. Looking forward to the newie.

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1471 on: January 24, 2014, 02:12:07 PM »
For some unknown reason I've never bother with Primal Fear, but I saw a video of a song from the new album and it was pretty good.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=qv3WvK6Amg4
Where is a good place to start with them?

Seven Seals, Black Sun, Devil's Ground and Nuclear Fire are classic PF.  16.6 is a good one too. 
Everyone else, except Wolfking is wrong.

Offline jjrock88

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1472 on: January 24, 2014, 05:16:38 PM »
For some unknown reason I've never bother with Primal Fear, but I saw a video of a song from the new album and it was pretty good.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=qv3WvK6Amg4
Where is a good place to start with them?

Seven Seals, Black Sun, Devil's Ground and Nuclear Fire are classic PF.  16.6 is a good one too.

The  debut is classic too.  Actually, they dont have a weak release at all.

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1473 on: January 24, 2014, 05:25:48 PM »
Yeah, no weak albums whatsoever!

Offline gazinwales

« Reply #1474 on: January 24, 2014, 07:25:24 PM »
Thanks for the recommendations fellas.
But from what I heard heard, aren't PF more power metal than melodic metal?

Online jingle.boy

• I'm so ronery; so sad and ronery
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • DTF's resident deceased dictator
« Reply #1475 on: January 24, 2014, 10:26:25 PM »
Thanks for the recommendations fellas.
But from what I heard heard, aren't PF more power metal than melodic metal?

Depends how you define/differentiate the two.
That's a word salad - and take it from me, I know word salad
I fear for the day when something happens on the right that is SO nuts that even Stadler says "That's crazy".
Quote from: Puppies_On_Acid
Remember the mark of a great vocalist is if TAC hates them with a special passion

Offline bl5150

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1476 on: January 25, 2014, 04:21:59 PM »
Looks like another awesome overseas festival I won't be able to make is about to be announced. 

https://www.frontiersrockfestival.com/
"I would just like to say that after all these years of heavy drinking, bright lights and late nights, I still don't need glasses. I drink right out of the bottle." - DLR

www.theguitardojo.com.au

Online jingle.boy

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1477 on: January 25, 2014, 05:13:07 PM »
Looks like another awesome overseas festival I won't be able to make is about to be announced. 

https://www.frontiersrockfestival.com/

Yeah, saw that on FB and thought "F'n Europeans get all the good shit"
I fear for the day when something happens on the right that is SO nuts that even Stadler says "That's crazy".
Remember the mark of a great vocalist is if TAC hates them with a special passion

Offline gazinwales

« Reply #1478 on: January 25, 2014, 07:51:38 PM »
<cough> Melodic Rock Festival 4,  Chicago 3-5 2014 <cough>

Online jingle.boy

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1479 on: January 25, 2014, 09:27:47 PM »
<cough> Melodic Rock Festival 4,  Chicago 3-5 2014 <cough>

Yeah... and they had one back in Sept too.  Even with M3, Prog/Power USA, we still don't get half the good shit that the Euro's get.

Offline bl5150

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1480 on: January 25, 2014, 10:18:50 PM »
I'd take 10% of the good shit Europe gets  :P    The fact that the guy who puts on MRF in the US is Australian says it all  :-\
"I would just like to say that after all these years of heavy drinking, bright lights and late nights, I still don't need glasses. I drink right out of the bottle." - DLR

www.theguitardojo.com.au

Offline Lowdz

« Reply #1481 on: January 26, 2014, 05:34:07 AM »
I'd take 10% of the good shit Europe gets  :P    The fact that the guy who puts on MRF in the US is Australian says it all  :-\

Maybe these days. Back in the day it was all US, US, US.

But as its a Frontiers festival, how will Martensson, Del Vechio etc play all day? And will the venue be a dark and dingy warehouse?  :biggrin:

Offline bl5150

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1482 on: January 26, 2014, 05:37:10 AM »
 ;D

Perhaps once you see the first act you'll have seen them all 

www.theguitardojo.com.au

Offline Lowdz

« Reply #1483 on: January 26, 2014, 05:41:22 AM »
;D

Perhaps once you see the first act you'll have seen them all

OT, were you or Kade the 3rd umpire in the one dayer today?  :biggrin:

Offline bl5150

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1484 on: January 26, 2014, 05:44:27 AM »
Why do you say that ?  - I was switching between the tennis (mostly) and the cricket so only saw a bit.   Surely you're not referring to the assy stumping - that was clearly out.

Beats me why half of this stuff (run outs out by half the pitch) keep getting referred anyway  ???

I've switched off the cricket for the most part- the Aussies won the series , rested a swag of players and switched off too IMO.  You still hanging around for a bit of glory after the lights have been switched off?  ;D

www.theguitardojo.com.au

Offline Lowdz

« Reply #1485 on: January 26, 2014, 01:55:48 PM »
Why do you say that ?  - I was switching between the tennis (mostly) and the cricket so only saw a bit.   Surely you're not referring to the assy stumping - that was clearly out.

Beats me why half of this stuff (run outs out by half the pitch) keep getting referred anyway  ???

I've switched off the cricket for the most part- the Aussies won the series , rested a swag of players and switched off too IMO.  You still hanging around for a bit of glory after the lights have been switched off?  ;D

Hey we gotta take some positives where we can atm. 3rd umpire was guessing with the "stumping" (he dropped the fucking thing!). We would still have found a way to lose with Bopara still there.

Offline gazinwales

« Reply #1486 on: January 26, 2014, 02:03:35 PM »
How was the umpire 'guessing'?
The bails were lifted and Bopara's foot was raised and that is out.
Does not matter that Wade dropped the ball, he was out, plain and simple.

TBH the international season is dragging on and on.
Far too many ODI, 3 is enough and now 3 T20 matches?

Offline Shadow Ninja 2.0

• Heir Transparent
  • Transcribing Existence Rivets
« Reply #1487 on: January 26, 2014, 02:23:02 PM »
The official melodic rock/AOR thread

:orly:

Offline Lowdz

« Reply #1488 on: January 26, 2014, 02:44:38 PM »

Couldn't have changed the subject better myself. Now,

That Primal Fear album is pretty bloody good.

Offline gazinwales

« Reply #1489 on: January 26, 2014, 02:47:48 PM »
Yup I found a Japanese version online and checked it out.
Pretty good but nothing I haven't heard already a million times.

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1490 on: January 27, 2014, 03:08:57 AM »

Hey we gotta take some positives where we can atm. 3rd umpire was guessing with the "stumping" (he dropped the fucking thing!). We would still have found a way to lose with Bopara still there.

I actually didn't catch the game, but just had a look at this incident.  Interesting.  I guess at the end of the day, the ball hit the bails while his foot was off the ground, but they weren't fully dislodged, but they were coming off.  Weird that the ball rebounded off the gloves, I guess there isn't a rule for that because it probably never has happened before.

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1491 on: January 27, 2014, 03:09:56 AM »

Couldn't have changed the subject better myself. Now,

That Primal Fear album is pretty bloody good.

Good to hear.  Hopefully I can find a copy soon.

Yup I found a Japanese version online and checked it out.
Pretty good but nothing I haven't heard already a million times.

PF were never about producing something new or original anyway.  Do you know what extras the Japan version has?

Offline bl5150

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1492 on: January 27, 2014, 03:16:07 AM »

I actually didn't catch the game, but just had a look at this incident.  Interesting.  I guess at the end of the day, the ball hit the bails while his foot was off the ground, but they weren't fully dislodged, but they were coming off.  Weird that the ball rebounded off the gloves, I guess there isn't a rule for that because it probably never has happened before.

No need for a rule - if it hits the stumps while the ball is live it doesn't matter where it came from...................it could've come from the wicket keeper's helmet or bounced off the leg of the guy at short leg - still out if he's out of his crease.  As long as one side of one bail has clearly lifted and it doesn't fall back into place.

Hope the Primal fear is as good as the feedback I'm hearing - my tastes seem to be getting heavier and this'll be right up my alley by the sounds.  I won't be getting it for a little while though......too much other stuff to catch up on first.

Going to have another go at enjoying Rush and Haken for the umpteenth time tomorrow - wish me luck   ;D
« Last Edit: January 27, 2014, 03:27:14 AM by bl5150 »

www.theguitardojo.com.au

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1493 on: January 27, 2014, 03:30:27 AM »
What Rush are you trying?

Offline bl5150

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1494 on: January 27, 2014, 03:37:42 AM »
What Rush are you trying?

I'm not normally someone who wastes time "trying" to like bands I clearly don't connect with but so many people whose opinions I respect and whose tastes are close to mine worship them.................so I revisit them occasionally for another shot at it.   Still - I really don't care too much for geddy's voice which makes it a challenge.

Anyway..............I've been told by numerous people that Signals might be more up my alley - a few more hooks involved and apparently one of Geddy's best vocal performances.  I've had that disk sitting around for a while based on those recos so time to give it a spin.  I know a lot of Rush fans hate that album :)

www.theguitardojo.com.au

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1495 on: January 27, 2014, 03:40:26 AM »
Signals is amazing.  I'd also recommend Grace Under Pressure and for something a bit different, Counterparts.

Offline bl5150

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1496 on: January 27, 2014, 04:02:37 AM »
Ok - thanks.

Snippet from Gotthard new single sounds like a snooze to me

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SW0qg31Feqw

www.theguitardojo.com.au

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1497 on: January 27, 2014, 04:25:32 AM »
Never checked out that band at all.

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1498 on: January 29, 2014, 04:05:01 AM »
Iron Savior - Burning Heart

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MHjE0r3ccyc

Simple but solid.

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1499 on: January 29, 2014, 04:08:51 AM »
TIMO TOLKKI'S AVALON REVEALS THE ALBUM TITLE AND FULL CAST OF SECOND ALBUM:
The anticipated sophomore release from Timo Tolkki's Avalon will be entitled “Angels Of The Apocalypse” and is slated for a May release through Frontiers Records. The singers that will appear on the album are: Floor Jansen (new Nightwish singer), Simone Simons (of Epica), Fabio Lione (of Rhapsody Of Fire), David DeFeis (of Virgin Steele), Elize Ryd (of Amaranthe) and Caterina Nix (who will release her debut album produced by Tolkki, later this year).
Other musicians which will appear on the album include two other former members of Stratovarius: Tuomo Lassila (Stratovarius' founder) on drums and Antti Ikonen, the original keyboard player of Stratovarius.
Timo Tolkki also announces a contest for guitar and keyboard players. Now you have the chance to play a solo with Timo Tolkki in one song of the album. Please send one MP3 that contains your solo playing to this email address: solos@tolkki.org.
The winner will receive a backing track and will play his/her solos to this. The MP3's for the contest has to be sent NOT LATER than 16th of February. You can also visit www.avalonopera.com for videoblogs that has been made from the recordings of the album.

David Defeis, nice, but this is coming together really quickly, and after the first one, I don't know if I even wanna give this a chance.

The solo competition sounds stupid too.  What, I just aimlessly solo and Timo picks the one he likes and then I get a backing track to record a solo too, that seems pretty silly to me.

Offline Bolsters

• Lost Boy
  • DTF.org Member
  • What a hell of a day to embrace disorder
« Reply #1500 on: January 29, 2014, 04:43:51 AM »
I don't have high hopes for it, but if it ends up on Spotify/whatever I might as well give it a chance.

Online jingle.boy

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1501 on: January 29, 2014, 05:33:51 AM »
Agreed.  Not sure this cast of vocalists can save us from his compositions.  I will still try to reserve judgment, and hold a little bit of hope.

Offline bl5150

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1502 on: January 30, 2014, 06:57:27 PM »
Re the Messiah's Kiss................as discussed with Chad in album thread.

I'd say it's pretty cliche "true metal"/power metal - heavily influenced by Accept/Primal Fear/Judas Priest/Running Wild with a huge metal crunch.  I get tired of a lot of this stuff pretty quick - heard it all before mostly.  This'll be something I'll listen to only  very occasionally - I'd rather listen to Running Wild -  but I'd rate it as pretty good for what it is.

Just look at the track titles  ;D

1.    The Rising   01:05    
2.    Light in the Black   03:28    
3.    Reign of Fire   04:31    
4.    Dream Evil   03:45    
5.    Blood, Sweat & Tears   03:12    
6.    Thunderball   04:04    
7.    Prayer for the Dying   03:14   
8.    Night Comes Down   05:08    
9.    Mortal Sin   04:04    
10.    Final Warning   05:08   
11.    Pride & Glory   03:41    
12.    Blood of the Kings

Death to false metal  :metal

Here's a track to sample (the best on the album IMO)  https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=V2j1DOk9ANo

This was their debut - I think I have one other album of theirs somewhere.

www.theguitardojo.com.au

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1503 on: January 31, 2014, 04:29:57 AM »
Wow, that tracklist is as cliche and ripped off as Freedom Call's Circle of Life.  Is there like 5 covers on that album?

I checked the song and it was okay enough, but I don't really need any new bands like this.

Also, the main riff was scaringly similar to Mercyful Fate's Uninvited Guest.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XKHL6VhtdO8

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1504 on: January 31, 2014, 04:38:08 AM »
One for Blob

THE ULTIMATE STAN BUSH ALBUM ARRIVES IN MARCH:
Legendary AOR singer/songwriter Stan Bush is ready to deliver The Ultimate – and MelodicRock Records is proud to announce a partnership to bring Stan's all-new studio album to fans worldwide.

MelodicRock Records has signed Stan Bush for the release of The Ultimate in Europe, with Stan's own LA Records handling the USA release.
Worldwide icon of melodic rock Stan Bush is best known for his song The Touch, made famous by Transformers: The Movie. An anthem for Transformers fans around the world, "The Touch" was released for Guitar Hero in 2009 and remixed by High Moon Studios in 2013 for their hit video game Transformers: Fall of Cybertron. It has also been featured on NBC's Chuck, FOX's American Dad, Deep Silver's Saints Row IV and in the motion picture Boogie Nights.

The Ultimate is Stan Bush's 12th studio album and delivers his most electrifying work yet! Reuniting with “Touch” collaborator Lenny Macaluso for the powerful title anthem, The Ultimate sees Bush return with the kind of uplifting motivational rock that has become his signature. The Macaluso track “Thunder in Your Heart” gets reinvented for The Ultimate album, which also contains the soaring anthems “Heat of the Battle” and “Unstoppable.”
Stan Bush's new album The Ultimate offers trademark tracks like “Stand in the Fire” alongside the heartfelt introspection of “Love Again,” “The Memory of You” and “Something to Believe” as Bush takes on love, loss and the search for meaning. With his latest release, the veteran rocker strikes the perfect balance between his high-octane, positively-charged style and mature, emotive songcraft.

In 2010, Stan Bush released the audio gem Dream The Dream, and one of the music videos, “Your Time,” became a viral hit on YouTube. Bush's active involvement with social media channels like YouTube and Twitter keeps his ever-growing fanbase engaged, while he remains on top of his game musically. Stan's critically-acclaimed 2007 release In This Life was named “Album of the Year” by RockUnited.com! It features “Til All Are One,” the official theme of the global gathering of Transformers fans, BotCon.
In 1997, Stan Bush won an Emmy Award for Best Original Song for his track "Til I Was Loved By You." Another Bush original, "Capture the Dream," was featured at the 1996 Olympic Games in Atlanta. His songs are heard in two Jean-Claude Van Damme films: Kickboxer and Bloodsport. Stan has co-written with top songwriters like Jonathan Cain (Journey,) Jim Vallance (Bryan Adams, Aerosmith,) and Paul Stanley of KISS. Stan has toured extensively throughout the United States and Europe in his storied career.

MRR owner Andrew McNeice: “Stan is one of the true icons of melodic rock. He has always been one of my favourite vocalists, dating back to his debut album and working with him over the years always a pleasure. It is an honor that we form a closer partnership to release his brand new album, which I think has all the requirements to become another Stan Bush classic.”

The Ultimate is set for release worldwide on March 17!

There will be a pre-sale announcement for the album in February on MelodicRock.com and StanBush.com and folks can always reserve a copy via their favourite online retailers in due course. Stan will headline the Friday night of MelodicRockFest 4 this October in Arlington Heights, IL.

Track listing: 01) Something To Believe 02) The Ultimate 03) Heat Of The Battle 04) Love Again 05) Stand In The Fire 06) Unstoppable 07) Thunder In Your Heart 08) The Journey 09) The Memory Of You 10) If I'm Not Lovin' You 11) The Touch (Power Mix).
For More Information, please visit: StanBush.com / MelodicRockRecords.com / MelodicRockFest.com.

https://www.melodicrock.com/

There's a sound link on the official melodic rock page.  It's alright, but I only have Dream the Dream and it really didn't impress me at all.