Author Topic: The official Frontiers Softcock Shit thread  (Read 571630 times)

Offline BlobVanDam

• Future Boy
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Transform and rock out!
Re: The official melodic rock/AOR thread
« Reply #1330 on: January 07, 2014, 04:22:59 AM »
I just got Fergie Frederiksen's last album Happiness is the Road from 2011 in the mail.  This is really awesome and much better than Any Given Moment.

Blob, I know you liked the last one, so I recommend you check this one if you haven't already.  More consistent with less filler and overall more melodic rock and slightly heavier.  2 amazing songs from Robert Sall too which scratches me right where I itch.  Dennis Ward on guitars, bass and keys too.

I actually found it much more shaky overall. Weaker production, weaker vocals, weaker songwriting.
Only King could mis-spell a LETTER.
Yep. I think the only party in the MP/DT situation that hasn't moved on is DTF.

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1331 on: January 07, 2014, 04:38:34 AM »
Well there you go, there's opinions for you.  :lol
Everyone else, except Wolfking is wrong.

Offline BlobVanDam

• Future Boy
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1332 on: January 07, 2014, 04:43:51 AM »
I know, right? :lol
It's amazing how within any one genre, people can be drawn to completely different elements of songwriting.

Offline gazinwales

« Reply #1333 on: January 08, 2014, 03:06:49 AM »
February 21st - Vanishing Point - Distant is the Sun

https://vanishing-point.com.au/vp/vanishing-point-sign-with-germanys-afm-records/

https://www.metalstorm.net/events/news_comments.php?news_id=21912

:hefdaddy :metal :hefdaddy :metal

YES MOTHERFUCKERS!!!!!!!!!!!

Not sure if this is the official cover as I just found it on a random website.

Yup it is they just put it up on their facebook page.
Can't wait for this one, been a long 7 years waiting.
Hope they do some gigs too.

Offline bl5150

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1334 on: January 08, 2014, 03:08:37 AM »
going to give this a spin tonight - can't even remember if it's any good.

A bit topical though - anyone recognise a face? ..........from mid 80's

"I would just like to say that after all these years of heavy drinking, bright lights and late nights, I still don't need glasses. I drink right out of the bottle." - DLR

www.theguitardojo.com.au

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1335 on: January 08, 2014, 03:15:36 AM »
Sort of looks like Harry Hess in there.

Offline bl5150

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1336 on: January 08, 2014, 03:16:13 AM »
Sort of looks like Harry Hess in there.

Yup - got it.   pre Harem Scarem and around 16 or 17yo
« Last Edit: January 08, 2014, 03:23:20 AM by bl5150 »
"I would just like to say that after all these years of heavy drinking, bright lights and late nights, I still don't need glasses. I drink right out of the bottle." - DLR

www.theguitardojo.com.au

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1337 on: January 08, 2014, 03:20:59 AM »
February 21st - Vanishing Point - Distant is the Sun

https://vanishing-point.com.au/vp/vanishing-point-sign-with-germanys-afm-records/

https://www.metalstorm.net/events/news_comments.php?news_id=21912

:hefdaddy :metal :hefdaddy :metal

YES MOTHERFUCKERS!!!!!!!!!!!

Not sure if this is the official cover as I just found it on a random website.

Yup it is they just put it up on their facebook page.
Can't wait for this one, been a long 7 years waiting.
Hope they do some gigs too.

Man, I didn't realise it's been 7 years, that's unreal.

I saw them supporting Helloween back in........must have been 2008.  They were pretty damn good.  They were a little shaky in some spots but were really enjoyable.

Offline gazinwales

« Reply #1338 on: January 08, 2014, 03:35:17 AM »
Yeah time flies by.
I saw them supporting Edguy back in 2001, trying to find the audio that I recorded of the show.

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1339 on: January 08, 2014, 03:40:07 AM »
I saw Edguy when they came in 2004 I think, they were incredible and the place had 100 people max, amazing up close and personal show.  Dungeon were supporting and they were of course amazing.

Offline bl5150

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1340 on: January 08, 2014, 07:29:11 PM »
Winger have just announced 100 days til new album release - look forward to that.  Karma was very strong.

www.theguitardojo.com.au

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1341 on: January 08, 2014, 07:34:17 PM »
Winger have just announced 100 days til new album release - look forward to that.  Karma was very strong.

HELL YES!

Offline BlobVanDam

• Future Boy
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1342 on: January 08, 2014, 07:37:48 PM »
I loved the first two tracks on Karma, but the rest was bland metal, so hopefully they can pull out a few more songs like those. I'm interested to hear this. :tup

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1343 on: January 08, 2014, 07:39:56 PM »
I thought the first two were cool, but were weaker tracks on the album.

Offline bl5150

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1344 on: January 08, 2014, 07:40:48 PM »
I loved the first two tracks on Karma, but the rest was bland metal, so hopefully they can pull out a few more songs like those. I'm interested to hear this. :tup

Wow...............I love Pull Me Under, Supernova , Witness , Always Within Me etc...  better than the first two actually .  I like them all tbh, aside from maybe Feeding frenzy (like the lyrical idea but not the song so much).  Was just listening to it yesterday so it's all fresh in my mind.

Karma and Pull are really top notch albums IMO.

www.theguitardojo.com.au

Offline jingle.boy

• I'm so ronery; so sad and ronery
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • DTF's resident deceased dictator
« Reply #1345 on: January 08, 2014, 07:44:20 PM »
I thought the first two were cool, but were weaker tracks on the album.

I'm not sure how I'd rank them.  I'd say they were fun, but certainly not "the best".

Anyway... AWESOME news.  More to add to my 2014 Release calendar.
That's a word salad - and take it from me, I know word salad
I fear for the day when something happens on the right that is SO nuts that even Stadler says "That's crazy".
Quote from: Puppies_On_Acid
Remember the mark of a great vocalist is if TAC hates them with a special passion

Offline BlobVanDam

• Future Boy
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1346 on: January 08, 2014, 07:45:43 PM »

Wow...............I love Pull Me Under, Supernova , Witness , Always Within Me etc...  better than the first two actually .  I like them all tbh, aside from maybe Feeding frenzy (like the lyrical idea but not the song so much).  Was just listening to it yesterday so it's all fresh in my mind.

I tried listening to it only recently, and nothing at all sticks out aside from the first two tracks. The first track is the clear standout of the album imo. A perfect blend of modern heaviness and great '80s songwriting. If they wrote a whole album like that, they could have themselves one of the better recent hard rock albums.

Offline bl5150

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1347 on: January 08, 2014, 07:48:49 PM »

I tried listening to it only recently, and nothing at all sticks out aside from the first two tracks. The first track is the clear standout of the album imo. A perfect blend of modern heaviness and great '80s songwriting. If they wrote a whole album like that, they could have themselves one of the better recent hard rock albums.

Fair enough - opinions................. ;D   For mine the first two tracks , while good, are the sort of stuff Kip and Reb could write in 5 minutes flat and it's from track 5 on where the songwriting depth really picks up.
« Last Edit: January 08, 2014, 07:54:42 PM by bl5150 »

www.theguitardojo.com.au

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1348 on: January 08, 2014, 07:53:37 PM »
The first two sound too much the same for me also.

Offline BlobVanDam

• Future Boy
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1349 on: January 08, 2014, 08:01:36 PM »

Fair enough - opinions................. ;D   For mine the first two tracks , while good, are the sort of stuff Kip and Reb could write in 5 minutes flat and it's from track 5 on where the songwriting depth really picks up.

The first two tracks to me are the memorable ones (hence they decided to start the album strong with them), and they're the most distinctive tracks on the album. After that is a blur of generic metal riffing and dull vocal melodies.
If those tracks are something they could write in 5 minutes, they should do that instead of whatever the hell they decided to do for the rest of the album, and for IV, which is perhaps even worse.

Offline bl5150

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1350 on: January 08, 2014, 08:12:06 PM »
Alrighty then  ;D   I thought we had very similar tastes to this point ;)

I agree with you about track numbers ..............it's a bit like Cherry Pie opening that album (most memorable) and Uncle Tom's Cabin, I Saw Red and Mr Rainmaker being saved for later .

and if I was to pick generic riffing and the weaker melodies  the first couple would be at the top of the list.  All IMHO of course  ;)

www.theguitardojo.com.au

Offline BlobVanDam

• Future Boy
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1351 on: January 08, 2014, 08:20:15 PM »
But the first track has the most distinctive riffing of all of them! :lol That doesn't even make sense to me. The rest is just dull power chords, and like every other metal band, whereas the first song actually has a cool and classic rock riff, and a lot of good touches to the song.
I honestly don't know what anyone can see in the rest of those tracks. They have no unique style to them at all. Completely run of the mill modern metal. :dunno:

Offline bl5150

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1352 on: January 08, 2014, 08:33:54 PM »
But the first track has the most distinctive riffing of all of them! :lol That doesn't even make sense to me. The rest is just dull power chords, and like every other metal band, whereas the first song actually has a cool and classic rock riff, and a lot of good touches to the song.
I honestly don't know what anyone can see in the rest of those tracks. They have no unique style to them at all. Completely run of the mill modern metal. :dunno:

I think we'll just have to agree to disagree on the lot - what constitutes power chords, distinctive/generic riffs and even  metal.  Almost half of the back end of the album I was referring to is ballads with barely a riff in site !  In terms of my quip about writing the first 2 tracks in five minutes I was being facetious but quite seriously - the riffs/song structures there are production line stuff for those guys - or any decent writer.

It's always interesting how some of us with such similar tastes elsewhere see/hear two totally different things at other times.  All good - otherwise forums would be bloody boring places to spend time.

We're both looking forward to the next album though  ;D

www.theguitardojo.com.au

Offline BlobVanDam

• Future Boy
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1353 on: January 08, 2014, 08:38:06 PM »
But I'm only looking forward to the new album in the faint hope they can write more good songs like the first two tracks, and nothing at all like the rest of IV and Karma. :lol If they churn out another album like the last two overall, forget 'em!
Those albums to me are good examples of what is wrong with modern rock albums. They try to be modern and write metal songs to what they think fits with current music, without that distinctive sound that defines older rock music that I love. Deal With The Devil is one of my favourite rock songs of the 2000s, and is what more rock bands should be doing.

Offline bl5150

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1354 on: January 08, 2014, 08:42:54 PM »
I agree with you on that in a general sense -  the rock landscape was littered with the wreckage of bands who tried to go modern/grunge post-Nirvana..if they survived at all.    Only a couple of bands pulled it off while retaining the best of what they had before - one that comes to mind is Lillian Axe's Psychoschizophrenia.

Where we differ is that I think Winger have done that well on both Pull and Karma.

www.theguitardojo.com.au

Offline BlobVanDam

• Future Boy
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1355 on: January 08, 2014, 08:53:49 PM »
Pull does nothing for me either. I'm only a fan of the first album, and Battle Stations from the Bill and Ted soundtrack. :biggrin:

Offline bl5150

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1356 on: January 08, 2014, 08:56:05 PM »
Pull does nothing for me either. I'm only a fan of the first album, and Battle Stations from the Bill and Ted soundtrack. :biggrin:

Cripes - you're 10 years my junior and I get told I'm stuck in the 80's  ;D   :hefdaddy for your 80's-ness

www.theguitardojo.com.au

Offline jingle.boy

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1357 on: January 08, 2014, 08:59:30 PM »

Cripes - you're 10 years my junior and I get told I'm stuck in the 80's  ;D   :hefdaddy for your 80's-ness

You have no idea.

Also, Blob's a simple man.  Don't put complexity in front of him.  Unless it's around 3D art.
I fear for the day when something happens on the right that is SO nuts that even Stadler says "That's crazy".
Remember the mark of a great vocalist is if TAC hates them with a special passion

Offline BlobVanDam

• Future Boy
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1358 on: January 08, 2014, 09:00:16 PM »

Thank you, thank you. I was born in the '80s, and decided it was so nice that I'd just stay there. :lol

Offline gazinwales

« Reply #1359 on: January 08, 2014, 09:43:23 PM »
I've been sorting out all my CD's today, stumbled across Magnum 'Wings Of Heaven Live'.
Damn they still sound great, Bob Catley as good as ever.

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1360 on: January 09, 2014, 05:14:16 AM »
I've been sorting out all my CD's today, stumbled across Magnum 'Wings Of Heaven Live'.
Damn they still sound great, Bob Catley as good as ever.

Yeah, this is an amazing live album.  I also love Live from Birmingham from 92, great setlist.

Offline Big Hath

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #1362 on: January 09, 2014, 11:11:52 AM »
jingle, wolfking, Lowdz - update on some of the stuff I've checked out (or already knew) from your lists:

already had these:
Extreme - Extreme II: Pornografitti - so yeah, this is one of my favorite albums of all time.  #37 on my top 50 list.
Work of Art - In Progress - bought this about a year and a half ago based on the the OP.  Love the Toto vibe.
Journey - Frontiers - a classic.
Bon Jovi - New Jersey - some great stuff on here.  Love the hits, but some of the other is just ok.
Def Leppard- Pyromania - this album is probably in my top 100.

albums I've either listened to or purchased from your lists
Hardline - Double Eclipse - this is awesome.
Winger - Pull - had heard a little of this already and went ahead and bought it.  I really liked their earlier stuff, so I thought I would take a chance.
Harem Scarem - Mood Swings - haven't spent a lot of time with the next 5, but what I've heard is pretty good.
Pretty Maids - Motherland
House of Lords - Cartesian Dreams
House of Lords - Come to My Kingdom
Magnum - On A Storytellers Night
Giant - Last of the Runaways - holy crap!  This was an immediate purchase (also bought Time to Burn).

so Hardline and Giant were huge wins for me so far.  What else is out there like these?  I really like those aggressive guitar riffs, slides, flourishes, etc.
Winger would be better!

. . . and if you gaze into the abyss, the abyss gazes also into you.

Offline jingle.boy

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1363 on: January 09, 2014, 11:44:50 AM »
Ok, well let's have a looksie then. 

White Lion - Lady of the Valley
Neonfly - only one album.  Try this song.  The Messenger
Rockhead - Bed of Roses*.  This is the one and only release from the band of legendary producer Bob Rock (Dr. Feelgood, Metallica, A 'Lil Ain't Enough)
Big House - Dollar in my Pocket*
Sven Gali - Under the Influence*

And now, the chick's
Nemesea - Afterlife
Sass Jordan - High Road Easy*  This is a little on the bluesy side.
Chrissy Steele - Love You 'til it Hurts*
Lee Aaron - Hands On*

* - feeling rather patriotic, as these are Canadian

Offline jingle.boy

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1364 on: January 09, 2014, 11:49:31 AM »
Oh, and one last one.

Winter Rose - I'll Never Fall in Love Again