Author Topic: ADTOE chart positions/sales figures  (Read 27151 times)

Offline Jamesman42

• There you'll find me
  • DT.net Member
  • Spiral OUT
Re: ADTOE chart positions/sales figures
« Reply #35 on: September 15, 2011, 06:18:39 PM »
Will me buying the album tomorrow be a part of how high it charts? Or is it just the first day? Sorry if it has been mentioned earlier...I'm buying mine tomorrow. :)

See my post right above yours.  And in light of your question, I will add that it sort of depends.  It is a first week total.  Again, individual purchases aren't directly reflected in the numbers because the numbers are based on number shipped from distributor to retailer, regardless of whether those copies sell or just sit on the shelves.  However, your purchase may indirectly have an impact on the numbers.  For example, if you purchase before the store does its inventory and order before the cutoff, and the store determines they have sold enough copies to warrant ordering more, and that order gets placed, filled, and reported before the cutoff, then yes, that number will count.  Get it?

Oh yeah, that makes perfect sense. I help deplete the retailer's supply, they order more, hence "more album sales." Cool stuff.

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
« Reply #36 on: September 15, 2011, 06:19:33 PM »
Didn't BC&SL sold 36k copies in the first week in US?

According to Blabbermouth, SC sold 36k.  BCSL sold 40k.

https://www.roadrunnerrecords.com/blabbermouth.net/news.aspx?mode=Article&newsitemID=122920

So, are they predicting a turn down? Kinda strange...

Oh, and thanks bosk!

Not necessarily.  Again, see my post above for how it works.  Given that album sales in general are down from 2-3 years ago, it wouldn't surprise me if they projected lower sales and didn't ship as many units. 

EDIT:  Obviously, I don't know what the band's goals were in terms of numbers (or if they even had one), but I would have to think that 35,000-45,000 would be considered a success.
"The Supreme Court of the United States has descended from the disciplined legal reasoning of John Marshall and Joseph Story to the mystical aphorisms of the fortune cookie."

Offline N4Player

« Reply #37 on: September 15, 2011, 06:20:05 PM »
Sitting at #1 at Amazon.ca bestsellers since yesterday. Nice to see. Also it has been moving around the  top 5 in iTunes Canadian album sales in Rock. Right now it is #2 behind The Beatles 1 album.

Offline TL

« Reply #38 on: September 15, 2011, 07:21:58 PM »
Sitting at #1 at Amazon.ca bestsellers since yesterday. Nice to see. Also it has been moving around the  top 5 in iTunes Canadian album sales in Rock. Right now it is #2 behind The Beatles 1 album.
Was just going to post this. Good to see it doing well here.

I've been seeing the Beatles '1' album everywhere recently. Is there a reason it's had a bit of a resurgence? I mean, it's not a new album.

Offline kiwiclapton

• It all began with Beatlemania,
  • In the name of God, Eric Clapton and the Slowhand
« Reply #39 on: September 15, 2011, 08:08:50 PM »

Offline blackngold29

« Reply #40 on: September 15, 2011, 08:35:47 PM »
Lady Applebottom will sell an estimated 300,000 copies. DT will sell and estimated 30,000. Talk about bad timing. Then again, per that site ADTOE is their 12th studio album so who knows if they know what they're talking about or not.

https://www.hitsdailydouble.com/news/newsPage.cgi?news08689m01

BCSL: 40K
SC: 36K
Octav: 27K

How is this not selling more than BCSL? Seems to be so much more excitement around it.

Offline darkshade

« Reply #41 on: September 15, 2011, 08:38:14 PM »
everyone should buy a second copy of the album. Don't open it or anything, keep it mint condition; could be worth something someday.

That'll help DT's sales

Offline Orthogonal

« Reply #42 on: September 15, 2011, 08:38:33 PM »
BCSL numbers are 1 week, the article made it sound like 30k for ADTOE was only first day. So, there are still 6 days to beat it.

Offline blackngold29

« Reply #43 on: September 15, 2011, 08:49:45 PM »
everyone should buy a second copy of the album. Don't open it or anything, keep it mint condition; could be worth something someday.

That'll help DT's sales
When Slipknot's fourth album came out everybody I talked to online bought both the regular and double disc versions. I don't know if they're counted together or not, but the album was first on the billboards... by 12 albums.

Offline Implode

• Lord of the Squids
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #44 on: September 15, 2011, 08:55:43 PM »
On iTunes it's at number 13 for all albums.

Offline ResultsMayVary

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Go Buckeyes!
« Reply #45 on: September 15, 2011, 09:21:42 PM »
On iTunes it's at number 13 for all albums.
Knowing most DT fans want a physical copy, I wouldn't worry about iTunes sales.
Where would YOU be without prog?!
I'd be standing somewhere with dignity, respect, and bitches.
When Mike and Mob Unite, featuring the hit A Lawsuit in Lies

Offline Perpetual Change

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #46 on: September 15, 2011, 09:30:03 PM »
How is this not selling more than BCSL? Seems to be so much more excitement around it.

Yeah, but I heard that record sales are down even more from two years ago.

Offline TL

« Reply #47 on: September 15, 2011, 09:31:16 PM »
It's funny, if you look up DT on Billboard's site, the most recent picture they have of the band not only has Portnoy, but it also has Derek Sherinian. I know they're not the biggest band in the world, but updating their picture once every 14 years doesn't really seem like it would be a hassle.

Offline DTGeek

« Reply #48 on: September 15, 2011, 11:39:44 PM »
Do those numbers include digital sales?  Not very many people I know still buy physical CDs, so if not the numbers being lower than the last two albums is to be expected.

Offline reneranucci

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #49 on: September 16, 2011, 01:01:21 AM »
BCSL numbers are 1 week, the article made it sound like 30k for ADTOE was only first day. So, there are still 6 days to beat it.
Nope. Ask bosk said, the figures are estimates of albums shipped to the retailers on the first week.

And as bosk said, actual numbers are more important than chart rankings. BC&SL suffered heavily from the celebrity-death effect on the charts, but I don't think anybody didn't get BC&SL because he used the money to buy Thriller. Besides, you have different bands competing with you every time you release an album, so making a comparison between albums doesn't make sense when you have very different scenarios.

I expect ADTOE to perform slightly better than their previous album. Their fanbase is expanding and the reviews were good before the release.

Offline Ħ

« Reply #50 on: September 16, 2011, 01:20:54 AM »
Keep in mind also that, in a way, the number have nothing to do with how many copies people actually buy.  It is based off of how many copies ship from the distributors to the retailers, which is based off of what the label, the distributors, and the retailers project the first week sales to be.  So, in a way, it's very artificial.
And since distributors will base their decision on whether or not to buy an album based on previous album sales...an album's ranking on the Billboard 200 is more of a reflection of BCSL's performance and not ADTOE's.
"All great works are prepared in the desert, including the redemption of the world. The precursors, the followers, the Master Himself, all obeyed or have to obey one and the same law. Prophets, apostles, preachers, martyrs, pioneers of knowledge, inspired artists in every art, ordinary men and the Man-God, all pay tribute to loneliness, to the life of silence, to the night." - A. G. Sertillanges

Offline BlobVanDam

• Future Boy
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Transform and rock out!
« Reply #51 on: September 16, 2011, 01:25:10 AM »
Keep in mind also that, in a way, the number have nothing to do with how many copies people actually buy.  It is based off of how many copies ship from the distributors to the retailers, which is based off of what the label, the distributors, and the retailers project the first week sales to be.  So, in a way, it's very artificial.
And since distributors will base their decision on whether or not to buy an album based on previous album sales...an album's ranking on the Billboard 200 is more of a reflection of BCSL's performance and not ADTOE's.

Which would mean that BCASL being their highest first week ever was based on the strong performance of SC.
Enjoy that one. :lol :hat
Only King could mis-spell a LETTER.
Yep. I think the only party in the MP/DT situation that hasn't moved on is DTF.

Offline TheKillingHand

« Reply #52 on: September 16, 2011, 04:52:44 PM »
ADTOE charted #36 first week in Ireland! Considering that BC&SL was only #96 first week after it came out this is pretty cool!

https://irma.ie/aucharts.asp

Offline darkshade

« Reply #53 on: September 16, 2011, 06:52:27 PM »

Which would mean that BCASL being their highest first week ever was based on the strong performance of SC.
Enjoy that one. :lol :hat

And SC's was based on the strong performance of 8V, and also the hype around Score.

Offline dongringo

Re: ADTOE Chart Positions
« Reply #54 on: September 16, 2011, 10:05:08 PM »
So, in other words over 4 times what Queensryche sold in their first week.  LOLryche.  How the mighty have fallen.

:rollin Just noticed this and...  :rollin
.......__o
.......\ <,
....( )/ ( )

Offline dongringo

« Reply #55 on: September 17, 2011, 10:28:59 AM »
Amazon U.S. today:

#1 Hard Rock and Metal
#6 Rock
#9 All Music

MP3 downloads:

#1 Hard Rock and Metal
#5 Rock
#14 All Music
.......__o
.......\ <,
....( )/ ( )

Offline Lotion

« Reply #56 on: September 18, 2011, 05:18:24 AM »
On the charts in Norway, they are #5. BCSL was charted #7 first week, but SC charted #3.

Offline Dellers

• Funky Norwegian!
« Reply #57 on: September 18, 2011, 05:57:24 AM »
On the charts in Norway, they are #5. BCSL was charted #7 first week, but SC charted #3.
Also, keep in mind that two of the albums that are ahead on that list have been on it for over 30 weeks...That's saying a lot about CD sales these days, when it takes a year for some records to go out of the top 5...Recorded music isn't really profitable for many anymore, which is a shame, because there's so much great stuff out there. Concerts are always too loud anyway, so from a musical point of view CDs are still the best way to enjoy music (online you're just getting these crappy mp3's anyway, I wouldn't pay for that in my lifetime).
https://soundcloud.com/dellers2/jpxi-o
Religious faith can only exist when there is no God, otherwise there wouldn't be a reason to believe.

Offline Lowdz

« Reply #58 on: September 18, 2011, 05:59:06 AM »
Was no1 at Play.com hard rock and metal today. No 5 overall.

Offline Dellers

• Funky Norwegian!
« Reply #59 on: September 18, 2011, 06:09:11 AM »
Was no1 at Play.com hard rock and metal today. No 5 overall.
Seems like they're also sold out. I guess that's a good sign, I've seen it sold out in several (online) stores quite fast.
Religious faith can only exist when there is no God, otherwise there wouldn't be a reason to believe.

Offline DreamerTV

• Italian DTFer
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #60 on: September 18, 2011, 08:13:44 AM »
In 3h45m we'll have ADTOE position in UK's chart, here https://www.theofficialcharts.com/

Offline gborland

« Reply #61 on: September 18, 2011, 10:43:45 AM »
It's #17 in the UK album chart. This is a record for DT! BC&SL was at #23.  ;D
Graham Borland

Offline cyberdrummer

• Setlist Guru and DT.net Veteran
« Reply #62 on: September 18, 2011, 01:09:23 PM »
Good performance, shame it dropped off from the midweek update though.

Offline Cordez

« Reply #63 on: September 18, 2011, 02:26:43 PM »
#2 the first week in the album top 100 in the Netherlands! https://www.dutchcharts.nl/weekchart.asp?cat=a Alright!

Offline Global Laziness

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #64 on: September 18, 2011, 02:51:18 PM »
I'm wondering about how the Canadian numbers will be affected. When I went to HMV on Tuesday to buy the album, an employee told me that HMV was having some kind of feud with Warner (who I guess distributes Dream Theater here) and that they wouldn't have the album until at least the weekend. He told me it would be the same at all the HMVs in Canada, which is pretty big deal considering they're one of the biggest music retailers here.
Quote from: Jamesman42
Global Laziness: Speaks for Canada
Quote from: black_floyd
I walked down a spiral staircase in 19/16 in honor of Tom Sawyer and now I'm in crutches.

Offline Guitalguy

• Blackness awakens Visions come alive
« Reply #65 on: September 18, 2011, 03:08:46 PM »
Currently at #5 in Norway. BCSL was #7, so it's an improvement  ;D Will probably not last many weeks though.

Offline Millais

« Reply #66 on: September 18, 2011, 03:13:27 PM »

bare in mind that this had a great deal of pre-orders (overall #3 on AmazonUK at one point), and if i'm thinking correctly this isn't included in the charts.

Offline RoeDent

• 2006 Time Magazine Person of the Year
« Reply #67 on: September 18, 2011, 04:04:03 PM »
A Dramatic Turn Of Events is #1 in the UK Rock Album Charts! https://www.theofficialcharts.com/rock-charts/

:metal

Offline Dellers

• Funky Norwegian!
« Reply #68 on: September 18, 2011, 04:55:24 PM »
#2 the first week in the album top 100 in the Netherlands! https://www.dutchcharts.nl/weekchart.asp?cat=a Alright!
Just out of curiosity, what does % mean here? That if Adele sold say 10000, DT sold 7600 and RHCP 6700?

Offline Kotowboy

• Yes THAT Kotowboy.
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #69 on: September 18, 2011, 05:19:25 PM »

:tup