Author Topic: ADTOE chart positions/sales figures  (Read 27150 times)

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
Re: ADTOE chart positions/sales figures
« Reply #140 on: September 23, 2011, 09:33:49 AM »
What is the source of those quotes?  I'd like to see that.  I based what I said earlier on the RIAA method, but if what you are saying about how Billboard counts its numbers is true, then what I said was actually mistaken for purposes of this thread.

They're from wikipedia.  I linked the first one; it's from the "Nielson SoundScan" article.  The second is from the "Billboard 200" article.  I poked around some other sites, which seemed to confirm the wiki info.  For completeness, here's the RIAA article.

Over time, it seems the RIAA number is the most accurate, but it is a measure of shipments minus returns, rather than a direct count of actual sales.

Good info.  Thanks.  So I stand corrected about how the Billboard charts work.  I assumed it was the same way as the RIAA certification, but I guess my assumption was wrong.  Good to have that clarification.
"The Supreme Court of the United States has descended from the disciplined legal reasoning of John Marshall and Joseph Story to the mystical aphorisms of the fortune cookie."

Offline serrano

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #141 on: September 23, 2011, 09:42:25 AM »

Offline TL

« Reply #142 on: September 23, 2011, 10:10:27 AM »
So ADToE is still pretty high on amazon.ca's music sales chart. It's been 5/6 all day so far. I can't say for sure, but I seem to remember BC&SL dropping off more quickly on the same chart.

Offline DreamerTV

• Italian DTFer
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #143 on: September 23, 2011, 10:29:22 AM »
# 3 in Italy !!!

Not bad!!!  ;D

https://www.fimi.it/classifiche_artisti.php

Not bad at all!
BC&SL did 5# in its first week

Offline 7StringedBeast

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #144 on: September 23, 2011, 10:56:38 AM »
It officially debuted at #8 on the billboard 200 in the U.S.  3 top ten albums in a row.  Not too shabby.
If anyone in this thread judge him; heyy James WTF? about you in Awake In Japan? Then I will say; WTF about you silly?

Offline JasonScandopolous

« Reply #145 on: September 23, 2011, 11:09:34 AM »
Two questions:  1)  Are there other metrics besides first week sales that are tracked and could be used to compare album sales?  For example, is there widespread data regarding 1-month out and 1-year out sales?  It'd be interesting to see if a different development pattern emerged for this album... for example, if BC&SL sold 2x the first week by month-end, but ADTOA sold 3x, we could surmise that it had something to do with Portnoy fans hearing the album was good and getting it eventually.

2)  Are there any figures that rank worldwide album sales?  It'd be interesting to compare albums like this with international appeal against worldwide sales, rather than a patchwork of country figures.

Offline coffees for closers

« Reply #146 on: September 23, 2011, 11:29:21 AM »
Reading MP so excited about BC&SL feels weird, heh.

That did bum me out a little. I also feel that there was a little less actual Road Runner promotion for this one for some reason. Who knows maybe because Mike P was the main go to guy for all things DT that they had the best relationship with him and could  have been annoyed at the band. Of couse they prefer an album vs a hiatis, but that 5 year comment is being hammered on and taken way to literally I believe.

Offline ResultsMayVary

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Go Buckeyes!
« Reply #147 on: September 23, 2011, 12:34:29 PM »
Reading MP so excited about BC&SL feels weird, heh.

That did bum me out a little. I also feel that there was a little less actual Road Runner promotion for this one for some reason. Who knows maybe because Mike P was the main go to guy for all things DT that they had the best relationship with him and could  have been annoyed at the band. Of couse they prefer an album vs a hiatis, but that 5 year comment is being hammered on and taken way to literally I believe.
In RR's defense, there was SO MUCH other DT related news besides the fact that they had a new album being released. So maybe along with tons of other DT news, there just wasn't the ability to promote the albums the same way. Keep in mind, when BC&SL was announced, there was basically no other DT news worth promoting. This time around we have a new drummer, loads of positive reviews, several tours, drummer documentary, more interviews from DT guys, new DT website, MP drama (which DT never really commented on, but blabbermouth was all over it), etc.
Where would YOU be without prog?!
I'd be standing somewhere with dignity, respect, and bitches.
When Mike and Mob Unite, featuring the hit A Lawsuit in Lies

Offline ZirconBlue

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #148 on: September 23, 2011, 12:41:24 PM »
Who the hell lets you return cds? I'm shopping there from now on.
I think they mean returns of unsold copies from the retailer to the label.

Correct.

Good info.  Thanks.  So I stand corrected about how the Billboard charts work.  I assumed it was the same way as the RIAA certification, but I guess my assumption was wrong.  Good to have that clarification.

:tup

Offline TL

« Reply #149 on: September 23, 2011, 01:33:00 PM »
It officially debuted at #8 on the billboard 200 in the U.S.  3 top ten albums in a row.  Not too shabby.
Well, two so far (SC peaked at #19), but it is still impressive.

Offline ResultsMayVary

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Go Buckeyes!
« Reply #150 on: September 23, 2011, 03:30:32 PM »
Well, two so far (SC peaked at #19), but it is still impressive.
TL is correct.

I think DT will continue to make top 10 debuts for the rest of their career.

Offline TL

« Reply #151 on: September 23, 2011, 05:56:08 PM »
They're back up to #4 on amazon.ca's music sales chart. BC&SL had definitely fallen further by this point.

Offline TheSilentHam

• Bringin' da bacon
« Reply #152 on: September 23, 2011, 10:15:45 PM »
I know the economy is worse than during BC&SL, but has anyone seen how June record sales compare to Sept. sales (not just this year, but what is normal?)  I looked and couldn't find anything.   It seems to me June would be better than Sept.  just because of things like back to school expenses, college tuitions, summer vacations have drained $, getting closer to holiday time, further removed from previous year's bonus (if any).  In general, seems like there might be less disposable income available in Sept. when compared to June. 

Offline Makukula

« Reply #153 on: September 25, 2011, 11:45:16 AM »
Official chart position here in Portugal: 9# (Source: a TV show called Top+ that does the Portuguese top30 in music)

They even showed OTBOA clip, on a major channel :D

BCASL did 14# on it's debut, nice boost.

Online Zydar

• Creep With Tonality
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #154 on: September 25, 2011, 11:47:24 AM »
It is #3 here in Sweden!

https://www.sverigetopplistan.se/
Zydar is my new hero.  I just laughed so hard I nearly shat.

Offline TL

« Reply #155 on: September 25, 2011, 03:07:32 PM »
So the album hit #7 in Poland, and not #36 as was reported earlier.

Offline emtee

« Reply #156 on: September 26, 2011, 10:07:03 AM »
I waited until week 2 to buy my copy.

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #157 on: September 26, 2011, 10:11:20 AM »
I waited until week 2 to buy my copy.

Why? 

Offline edu

« Reply #158 on: September 26, 2011, 10:22:43 AM »
#10 in Spain! BC&SL did #13... This is a big success in a country like Spain, specially for a metal band.
Crossing bridges in the sky
On a journey to renew my life

Offline gmillerdrake

• Proud Father.....Blessed Husband
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • 1 Timothy 2:5
« Reply #159 on: September 26, 2011, 10:33:04 AM »
I haven't been keeping a detailed score card but it is looking like ADTOE is charting higher than BC&SL did everywhere but in the US....in most places significantly higher. Good for DT! And even in the US it was only like a difference of 4k units or close to that, right? I would think these guys have to be thrilled with the success and feedback they are getting from this album.
Without Faith.....Without Hope.....There can be No Peace of Mind

Offline Lowdz

« Reply #160 on: September 26, 2011, 10:58:28 AM »
I haven't been keeping a detailed score card but it is looking like ADTOE is charting higher than BC&SL did everywhere but in the US....in most places significantly higher. Good for DT! And even in the US it was only like a difference of 4k units or close to that, right? I would think these guys have to be thrilled with the success and feedback they are getting from this album.

Anyone got any idea if the BC&SL numbers would have been any higher than ADTOE if released in the week ADTOE was? (in the US)

Offline Addy

« Reply #161 on: September 26, 2011, 12:55:23 PM »
Ok, its #7 in Poland at the moment.

https://olis.onyx.pl/listy/index.asp?lang=

Offline TL

« Reply #162 on: September 26, 2011, 01:21:38 PM »
It has charted better in many countries, and the ones where it didn't, it wasn't far behind BC&SL numbers. It also had more difficult competition than BC&SL in my opinion.
Its North American numbers seem to be down largely because they shipped fewer copies in the US, and there were severe distribution problems in Canada, and even then it was in the top 10 in both countries.

Offline ResultsMayVary

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Go Buckeyes!
« Reply #163 on: September 26, 2011, 03:26:57 PM »

Anyone got any idea if the BC&SL numbers would have been any higher than ADTOE if released in the week ADTOE was? (in the US)
BC&SL would have also charted #8 if it was released during ADTOE's first week.

Offline The Letter M

« Reply #164 on: September 26, 2011, 03:29:25 PM »

What about the inverse? Would ADTOE have done better in the summer than the fall, if it were released during BC&SL's release week?

Either way, glad to see ADTOE topping out pretty high in many countries, at level or higher with BC&SL! Looks like DT's popularity is at an all-time high! Let's keep the momentum going and push for DT12 to hit multiple No. 1 spots across the globe!

-Marc.
ATTENTION - HAKEN FANS! The HAKEN SURVIVOR 2023 has begun! You can check it out in the Polls/Survivors Forum!!!

Offline gmillerdrake

• Proud Father.....Blessed Husband
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • 1 Timothy 2:5
« Reply #165 on: September 26, 2011, 03:33:54 PM »

Appreciate the info. Pretty neat to know.
Without Faith.....Without Hope.....There can be No Peace of Mind

Offline Lotion

« Reply #166 on: September 29, 2011, 08:52:21 AM »
So in the second week they charted 57 on the billboard, while in norway they went down from 5th to 7th. BCSL went from 7th to 10th in Norway. I don't know what position BCSL had on the billboard after two weeks.

PS: Opeth is positioned 8th after their first week.

Offline ResultsMayVary

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Go Buckeyes!
« Reply #167 on: September 29, 2011, 09:16:40 AM »

What about the inverse? Would ADTOE have done better in the summer than the fall, if it were released during BC&SL's release week?

Either way, glad to see ADTOE topping out pretty high in many countries, at level or higher with BC&SL! Looks like DT's popularity is at an all-time high! Let's keep the momentum going and push for DT12 to hit multiple No. 1 spots across the globe!

-Marc.
If my numbers are correct, ADTOE would have charted #6 during BC&SL's week of release.

Offline TL

« Reply #168 on: September 29, 2011, 07:39:38 PM »
So in the second week they charted 57 on the billboard, while in norway they went down from 5th to 7th. BCSL went from 7th to 10th in Norway. I don't know what position BCSL had on the billboard after two weeks.

PS: Opeth is positioned 8th after their first week.
I seem to remember BC&SL falling pretty drastically in its second week; lower than #57. I could be wrong.

Offline SystematicThought

• DTF.org Member
  • Carpe Diem-2020
« Reply #169 on: September 29, 2011, 07:50:01 PM »
BC&SL was on the chart for 8 weeks. Let's see if we can beta that this album.

Also now Opeth is number 1 on the tastemakers chart
God have mercy on a man
Who doubts what he's sure of.
-Bruce Springsteen