Author Topic: Anybody else just not bothered about concept albums?  (Read 2867 times)

Offline namgalsipsclar

Anybody else just not bothered about concept albums?
« on: September 02, 2011, 04:10:18 AM »
Don't really see that they're any better than non concept albums to be honest. I get that some of them are telling a story, like SFAM, but does anyone else just not care about the story at all? Its a decent story, nothing wrong with it, but It wasn't exactly easy to tell what was going on by the songs, I had to read a summary. So when I listen to any concept album, I just dont really pay attention to the story. One thing I do like though is how musical themes reoccur throughout albums and how songs run into each other, it makes them more interesting

Offline FretMuppet

• DAIM that looks good!
Re: Anybody else just not bothered about concept albums?
« Reply #1 on: September 02, 2011, 04:14:41 AM »
Musically, I love repeating themes, especially if they have a lot of variation, its really interesting. Lyrically, I don't mind, as long as its a good story

Offline BlobVanDam

• Future Boy
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Transform and rock out!
« Reply #2 on: September 02, 2011, 04:19:20 AM »
Well on one hand, I think SFAM is easily one of DT's best albums. Some of that may be due to the repeated musical themes and lyrical references, although I'm not sure that the fact it's a concept album is that huge a factor.

I really don't get excited at the idea of concept albums though. I see why they can be better, but it's not a given by any means.
Only King could mis-spell a LETTER.
Yep. I think the only party in the MP/DT situation that hasn't moved on is DTF.

Offline 3xodus

« Reply #3 on: September 02, 2011, 04:48:59 AM »
I like them.. I like when bands put a bunch of effort into the continuity of an album and tell a story with it. To me, it just shows a lot of work has been put into the album. It's a nice bonus as a listener.

Offline YtseBitsySpider

• **retired from DTF**
  • EZBoard Elder
« Reply #4 on: September 02, 2011, 05:45:35 AM »
I like the repeating themes, and I like good stories.

Shadrane - Temporal

comes to mind.

I like Fates Warning - Pleasant Shade of Grey too...
Take care everyone - Bet you all didn't even notice I was gone.

Happy Lives to you all.

Offline Kotowboy

• Yes THAT Kotowboy.
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #5 on: September 02, 2011, 05:59:07 AM »
My band wrote one once and we're recording it next year. It was awesome fun as you could have repeated motifs riffs etc but change them slightly and the whole album could be one story.  I think it should be amazing when it's done.

I won't reveal too much yet but we're currently writing our second album and we plan to do the concept album third when we can do an accompanying short film to go with it :)

Offline tgstk2

• Surmount Brutal Dutch Metal
  • PanterA
« Reply #6 on: September 02, 2011, 08:44:07 AM »
I like the repeating themes, and I like good stories.

this!, but awake had repeating themes in differetn songs as well...that's something i always love...
i think SFAM is the only concept album i have?
Als je dit vertaald hebt kom je erachter dat je weer een minuut van je leven hebt verspild

Offline ElliottTamer

« Reply #7 on: September 02, 2011, 08:52:36 AM »
I absolutely love concept albums!
But I get how people can be indifferent to it. It depends on where you're coming from. My primary interest has always been literature and it was only when I became a teenager that I started really listening to music. So concept albums have for me a double value, being not only a collection of songs but also concepts/stories which I can intellectually/emotionally engage with.
If you never cared much about story-telling, you're unlikely to be interested in this second dimension of the concept album, so it should be pretty much the same to you. Or even worse than regular albums, given how often concept albums have non-musical moments to better tell their stories...

Offline wolven74

• DTF.org Alumni
  • My body is not well
« Reply #8 on: September 02, 2011, 09:03:18 AM »
I'm kinda a fence sitter on the whole concept album thing. On the one hand, I find them to be a bit distracting. On the other I enjoy them. They're distracting at least for the first run through. SFAM didn't make sense the first time through. I enjoyed the repeated themes, but couldn't follow the story. Same thing happened with Queensryche's Operation: Mindcrime. First listen didn't make sense, so I didn't like it. I found myself concentrating on the story so much that the music got lost. After a few listens the music became clearer. A few more listens and the story emerged clearer. Once the whole thing made sense to me I was floored. I can't really say I was floored by the story of SFAM. Musically I love it, but I think I keep wanting to tie it to Metropolis pt 1, and it doesn't seem to fit as well. Maybe that's just me.
Everything is immaterial. Do you know that reality is immaterial? This is not reality.
In what friggin' universe is a 68 minute long album "short"?

Offline hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
« Reply #9 on: September 02, 2011, 09:05:11 AM »
A good album is a good album.  Whether or not it is a concept album is irrelevant.
Hef is right on all things. Except for when I disagree with him. In which case he's probably still right.

Offline MasterShakezula

• Owes H $10
« Reply #10 on: September 02, 2011, 09:11:17 AM »
I like good music, and sometimes a concept album has good music. 

I feel SFAM has some good music, but much less good music than other DT albums, hence, I don't like it as much as others; it's mainly the ballads that kill it, subjectively, in my opinion, of course.  Too many ballads and not enough prog metal, and I don't like its ballads.  Now, Awake, its ballads are top 10 material, right there.   

The story, I could care less, really, it didn't seem to play much of a role in the grand scheme of things, and honestly, if I want a good story, I'll go to the bookstore and buy me some sci-fi and fantasy.  Plus, I don't see any sort of connection to Metro 1, besides name and some musical elements.

Offline jayvee

« Reply #11 on: September 02, 2011, 09:33:14 AM »
Don't really see that they're any better than non concept albums to be honest. I get that some of them are telling a story, like SFAM, but does anyone else just not care about the story at all?

Stories are for books.

Offline energythief

• Chubby Chaser
« Reply #12 on: September 02, 2011, 11:24:45 AM »
Musically I love it, but I think I keep wanting to tie it to Metropolis pt 1, and it doesn't seem to fit as well.

Well, it does connect but in a more obscure way. What's happening between Edward/Julian/Victoria is a temporal echo of the first time a brother betrayed another over love for a third "party" (Remus/Romulus/the city of Rome). It keeps happening over and over again:

"We'll meet again my friends, sometime soon."

Offline tri.ad

• The Invisible Man
  • DT.net Member
« Reply #13 on: September 02, 2011, 11:31:43 AM »
A good album is a good album.  Whether or not it is a concept album is irrelevant.

Exactly. An album being a concept album doesn't make that album automatically better.
... And you ask me: "Where's my hairspray?"

Mentlegen.

Offline j

« Reply #14 on: September 02, 2011, 11:36:02 AM »
A good album is a good album.  Whether or not it is a concept album is irrelevant.

That.  I could not care less whether an album is a concept album.  Although I guess it can be cool in the rare case that it's done well.

If anything, I think the vast, vast majority of concept albums are poorly conceived or executed.

-J

Offline DreamTension

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Live in the moment, breathe in a nude beginning
« Reply #15 on: September 02, 2011, 11:57:23 AM »
There are so many amazing concept albums! Off the top of my head:

Dream Theater - SFAM, 6DOIT
Jethro Tull - Thick as a Brick, Passion Play
Genesis - Lamb Lies Down on Broadway
Pink Floyd - Dark Side of Moon, Animals, The Wall
Alan Parsons Project - Tales of Mystery and Imagination, Pyramid

I'm sure there are a ton more...

Offline Lowdz

« Reply #16 on: September 02, 2011, 01:13:19 PM »
I can take them or leave them. As someone said, a good album is a good album.

I never did understand Maiden's Seventh Son- was there even a story there?

Offline DarkLord_Lalinc

• pr0nman extraordinaire
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Hostages love me
« Reply #17 on: September 02, 2011, 01:20:13 PM »
Of course. A recent study on DTF indicates that every album is a concept album.
Quote from: TioJorge
MAN FUCK YOU KUJA.
Quote from: hefdaddy42
The Darklord is amazing

Offline Kotowboy

• Yes THAT Kotowboy.
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #18 on: September 02, 2011, 07:25:30 PM »
Even A Change Of Seasons.

Offline contest_sanity

« Reply #19 on: September 03, 2011, 12:07:48 AM »
If anything, I think the vast, vast majority of concept albums are poorly conceived or executed.
I had conceived a highly dramatic concept post with many varied avatars and thread arcs, but then I saw your statement and realized it was just a run-of-the-mill rip-off of Operation Postcount.  Thanks for saving me from embarrassment!

Offline Ħ

« Reply #20 on: September 03, 2011, 12:22:06 AM »
Come to think of it, my favorite albums are almost all concept albums.
"All great works are prepared in the desert, including the redemption of the world. The precursors, the followers, the Master Himself, all obeyed or have to obey one and the same law. Prophets, apostles, preachers, martyrs, pioneers of knowledge, inspired artists in every art, ordinary men and the Man-God, all pay tribute to loneliness, to the life of silence, to the night." - A. G. Sertillanges

Offline Cable

« Reply #21 on: September 04, 2011, 06:01:10 AM »
I love them, but only in moderation. DT could use another one, but I am ok with their amount (SFAM and 8V is debatable). But bands like Porcupine tree and Pain of Salvation have done so many, they are kind of cheapened now, so their impact and special appeal has lessened.
---

Offline senecadawg2

« Reply #22 on: September 04, 2011, 06:54:36 AM »
Seeing as how SFAM is my favorite album, or at least in my top 2, no I'm not bothered.
Quote from: black_floyd
Oh seneca, how you've warmed my heart this evening.