Author Topic: Symphony X thread!  (Read 324970 times)

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
Re: Symphony X thread!
« Reply #805 on: January 29, 2011, 05:56:13 PM »
I feel like I've heard that album title before somewhere. Either another album, a movie, or something, but it's definitely familiar.

Scar Symmetry has a song from their latest album called The Iconclast.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XeJ01A28qS8
Everyone else, except Wolfking is wrong.

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #806 on: January 29, 2011, 06:04:17 PM »
Here's the interview;

https://www.roadrunnerrecords.com/blabbermouth.net/news.aspx?mode=Article&newsitemID=153030

"Sonically, it's in the realm of that one in a way, in terms of the sound of things; the guitar sound is a little different. Basically, the album is pretty intense — probably the most intense record we've ever done; it's chock-full of riffs — tons of great riffs. It's heavy, the music, but the singing is very melodic in terms of its... the choruses are real strong, the verses are real strong, but I'm singing aggressively — a lot of that going on — 'cause the topic is, again, very dark; you know, that's what we do. So the album's very powerful. And, of course, we do have one song that's like a little mini-epic, so to speak, and it's the lightest — a light, light, light song. So there is a contrast on the record of that one song that has that sort of 'Paradise Lost' feel to it; it's a ballad, I guess, if you wanna call it that."

He continued, "This album will contain a good body of work that harkens back to a lot of early metal — some early metal — and a lot of SYMPHONY X standards that you guys know already, and a little bit of a newer sound, too, here and there — just a newer direction. Some of the singing parts, I tried some more rhythmic things that I was hearing that sounded pretty cool, and some different things that I'm doing with my voice now that are a little more looking to the future of what we hear the music going. It's just the next progression for us, where we are as writers and stuff, but it's pretty intense — it's way more intense than 'Paradise Lost', if you can believe that."

When asked about the "Iconoclast" lyrical concept, Russell said, "It is basically just the idea of machines taking over everything and all this technology we put our society into pretty much being our demise. It's a story we were all familiar with, but we put our own spin on it. It's not a linear story in terms of... This is just the theme of the record, so all the songs are in that theme, but they're not connected in any sort of story way — there's no characters of any of that stuff — it's just a theme. Like [PINK FLOYD's] 'The Dark Side Of The Moon', it's really just a theme of the dark side of the moon — one song deals with death, the other one deals with time... You know what I mean?! So it's the same kind of thing. I'm not comparing the two albums by any means — don't misunderstand me — but in terms of the idea of a concept, so to speak, the concept is there, but it's not a story record — not like [2002's] 'The Odyssey', where the song 'The Odyssey' is that story."
Everyone else, except Wolfking is wrong.

Offline MetalMike06

• DT.net Member
« Reply #807 on: January 29, 2011, 06:07:57 PM »
Cool - good to hear an update! Although I was hoping for something less Paradise Lost-ish, I'm sure it'll still be incredible.

Offline RuRoRul

« Reply #808 on: January 30, 2011, 07:07:52 AM »
Amazing to finally hear news. Would be great if what it said was true and we get it within the next 2 or 3 months... but I'm hoping that at least means it'll be out by summer.

Not sure how thrilled to hear the comparisons to Paradise Lost. PL is probably my favourite album by them but at the same time I don't want to have all aggressive singing (like Domination or something). But you can't really tell how the album will sound based on what the band members say - half the time the "new, heavier album" isn't actually heavier.

Offline PlaysLikeMyung

• Myung Protege Wannabe
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Maurice Moss: Cooler than you
« Reply #809 on: January 30, 2011, 07:16:41 AM »
According to someone at the Ultimate Metal forum for Symphony X, they spoke with Rullo at NAMM and they'll be performing some songs from the new album live BEFORE it's out. So hopefully it'll be out by summer

Offline Perpetual Change

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #810 on: January 30, 2011, 07:35:53 AM »
Awesome news.

Also, Symphony X have some of the most amazing choruses.

Dream on! Do you believe all the things that you're seeing are true?
The start's where the end's leading you!
Dream on! Do you believe all's as twisted as one would perceive?
Seek the answers and soon you'll believe!

Offline DarkLord_Lalinc

• pr0nman extraordinaire
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Hostages love me
« Reply #811 on: January 30, 2011, 08:46:32 AM »
Amazing news. I'm looking forward to this album a lot, considering the amazing musical trip Paradise Lost was.

Quote from: TioJorge
MAN FUCK YOU KUJA.
Quote from: hefdaddy42
The Darklord is amazing

Offline Elsydeon

« Reply #812 on: January 30, 2011, 09:08:56 AM »
Nice to finally hear an update. It'll be interesting what they bring out in this album. I really wasn't a big fan of paradise lost.

Offline lateralus88

• The Official DTF Stanley Kubrick Fanboi
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • I stabbed Euronymous because he drank my PBR
« Reply #813 on: January 30, 2011, 12:00:46 PM »
Wow, an update from Symphony X? It feels so out of place now.
I felt its length in quite a few places.

Awesome Majesty Pendant Club: Member #3

Offline aparadoxindeed

• Guitarist, Songwriter, All-Around Music Nerd
« Reply #814 on: January 30, 2011, 12:17:54 PM »
Can't wait to see Symphony X and Nevermore together this year!  Jeff Loomis and Mike Romeo should have a shred-off!  Who would win?

Offline Zook

• Evil Incarnate
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Take My Hand
« Reply #815 on: January 30, 2011, 02:37:21 PM »
We would.

Offline RazielSR

« Reply #816 on: January 30, 2011, 05:01:35 PM »
Finally!! The return of one of my fav bands!

Let's see what these amazing guys will show in the new album. For me it'll be good if its something like Paradise Lost or Odyssey, or V or whatever. I like all their albums.

Offline Global Laziness

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #817 on: January 30, 2011, 07:37:45 PM »
Great to finally get an update. I would have liked them to have moved away from the Paradise Lost heaviness, but I'm sure it'll be a kickass album nonetheless. Can't wait to see them in Montreal in April!
Quote from: Jamesman42
Global Laziness: Speaks for Canada
Quote from: black_floyd
I walked down a spiral staircase in 19/16 in honor of Tom Sawyer and now I'm in crutches.

Offline aparadoxindeed

• Guitarist, Songwriter, All-Around Music Nerd
« Reply #818 on: January 30, 2011, 08:59:38 PM »

Offline Dr. DTVT

• DTF's resident Mad Scientist
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • What's your favorite planet? Mine's the Sun!
« Reply #819 on: January 30, 2011, 09:48:39 PM »
Please, for the love of all that is holy, BE BETTER THAN PARADISE LOST!

I really don't want to give up on this band...too many good memories...

Offline DarkLord_Lalinc

• pr0nman extraordinaire
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Hostages love me
« Reply #820 on: January 30, 2011, 10:20:45 PM »

Paradise Lost is a good album

IT IS
Quote from: TioJorge
MAN FUCK YOU KUJA.
Quote from: hefdaddy42
The Darklord is amazing

Online abydos

• DT.net
« Reply #821 on: January 30, 2011, 10:21:28 PM »
It's also boring, though.

Offline Perpetual Change

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #822 on: January 30, 2011, 10:40:40 PM »
After the title track things get a bit samey but it's still great.

Offline NecessaryPain

« Reply #823 on: January 31, 2011, 06:01:55 AM »

I'd give up if I were you.

PL was a brilliant album. One of their best, IMO.

Better get used to it buddy.
Pain is temporary. Pride is forever.

Offline AwakeFromOctavarium

• Penguin wins by default.
« Reply #824 on: January 31, 2011, 07:36:47 AM »
As long as it's as good as Twilight, I'd be glad. But anything below Odyssey, no thanks.
<br />Girls are like square roots; If they\\\'re under 18, do them in your head.<br />
You Americans feed the bears with bacon! That's why they've grown so ferocious!

Offline Elsydeon

« Reply #825 on: January 31, 2011, 07:46:33 AM »

I'd give up if I were you.

PL was a brilliant album. One of their best, IMO.

Better get used to it buddy.
PL was okay, nowhere near as good as V or DWOT, I really wish they would write something closer to those albums. Either way I'm sure I will buy whatever they produce and I'll enjoy it hopefully.

Offline LTE3

« Reply #826 on: January 31, 2011, 10:50:54 AM »
Allen saying it's heavier than Paradise Lost and has 1 ballad-type song on the album.

Personally, I am more than happy with that. I am in the minority on this forum, who prefers SX's heavier touch.

This album is gonna contain some absolute kick-ass riffs. Hopefully after 4 years they've put the effort in.
I agree with you, their heavy songs are kick ass. I love the Goove Metal sounds of Paradise Lost. The new disc sound a little like Lamb of God with someone who can sing his ass off.
Scheming demons dressed in kingly guise, beating down the multitude and scoffing at the wise.

Offline Bombardana

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #827 on: January 31, 2011, 11:06:18 AM »
When artists release two albums of extremely similar material, you only expect a year or two between release dates, at best. If they've just messed around for 4 years to release Paradise Lost 2.0, I'm going to be very disappointed. But I will of course wait until I've heard the album to make such judgements.

Offline PlaysLikeMyung

• Myung Protege Wannabe
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Maurice Moss: Cooler than you
« Reply #828 on: January 31, 2011, 11:23:47 AM »
I liked Paradise Lost. A lot. But I'd rather they switch it up a bit

Offline Volk9

• DTF's Representative of the Negro Community
  • Pokeballs got nothin' on this
« Reply #829 on: January 31, 2011, 09:19:24 PM »
I liked Paradise Lost. A lot. But I'd rather they switch it up a bit

DOWNLOAD MY FREE NEW ALBUM!

(For fans of breakbeat, trip hop, acid jazz, etc)

https://abstractinthesky.com/

<br />Yeah, once you graduate high school, you need to listen to Death Metal like an adult.<br />

Offline The Dark Master

• Veteran of the Psychic Wars
« Reply #830 on: January 31, 2011, 10:34:57 PM »
Just read the interview, and it kind of sounds like they are making a concept album out of the "Church of the Machine" song.  Really cool, as I like that song a lot lyrically (and musically).

Offline jjrock88

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #831 on: February 01, 2011, 09:21:33 AM »
All of their albums rule and I am fully confident that the new one will too!

Offline glaurung

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #832 on: February 01, 2011, 11:23:55 AM »
All of their albums rule and I am fully confident that the new one will too!

Even the self titled?
Cole: "Ow I just got hit in the balls"
Me: "How?"
Cole: "Well you know when you try to scratch your balls, and you scratch too hard?
I'll admit sometimes I want to listen to Dragonforce.

Offline jjrock88

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #833 on: February 01, 2011, 03:31:42 PM »
Actually I forgot all about the self titled album.  I bought it and got rid of it within a couple of weeks.  Tyler's vocals just drove me up the wall and was such a let down compared to RA.  I tried a few times to get into it, but it just didn't work.  I thought it might be vocal's that are different and you just have to get used to (ie Udo)- but I just found them straight up annoying..  It was like listening to somebody scratch a chalkboard.  Not sure if it's been brought up before, but I would be interested in hearing what the opinions are of the debut.

Offline The Dark Master

• Veteran of the Psychic Wars
« Reply #834 on: February 01, 2011, 04:44:30 PM »
Actually I forgot all about the self titled album.  I bought it and got rid of it within a couple of weeks.  Tyler's vocals just drove me up the wall and was such a let down compared to RA.  I tried a few times to get into it, but it just didn't work.  I thought it might be vocal's that are different and you just have to get used to (ie Udo)- but I just found them straight up annoying..  It was like listening to somebody scratch a chalkboard.  Not sure if it's been brought up before, but I would be interested in hearing what the opinions are of the debut.

The ironic thing is that on the Danse Macabre demos, Rod Tyler sounds much better, so I don't know why he would sound worse on the actual album.  Maybe the production on the album was just that shitty; or maybe, like Charlie, it's hard to get into his vox style after hearing all the other albums with a different singer.  It's probably a combination of both.  I honestly don't think the first album is bad from a compositional point of view; there are some damn cool songs on there and is interesting to hear a embryonic Symphony X; but the bad production and vox really drag it down.

P.S.  Pretty much anybody is a let down compared to Russ; that man is a vocal GOD!  :metal :metal :metal

Offline jsem

« Reply #835 on: February 01, 2011, 04:53:23 PM »

P.S.  Pretty much anybody is a let down compared to Russ; that man is a vocal GOD!  :metal :metal :metal
This.

Offline pain of occupation

• DT.net Veteran
  • DTF Official Thread Killer
« Reply #836 on: February 02, 2011, 06:55:23 PM »
i cant understand the negativity towards paradise lost; it's not THAT different from their previous work...a little more straight-forward than the previous two, but not much...and a little heavier than everything before, but again, not much.

the only reservations i had after my initial few listens were russell's vox. they seemed like they were a little 'much' at first, but it didnt take too long to get past that (and actually ended up thinking the vox were possibly better than ever)

Offline glaurung

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #837 on: February 02, 2011, 07:56:58 PM »
i cant understand the negativity towards paradise lost; it's not THAT different from their previous work...a little more straight-forward than the previous two, but not much...and a little heavier than everything before, but again, not much.

the only reservations i had after my initial few listens were russell's vox. they seemed like they were a little 'much' at first, but it didnt take too long to get past that (and actually ended up thinking the vox were possibly better than ever)

That's where I and a lot of people will disagree.
Cole: "Ow I just got hit in the balls"
Me: "How?"
Cole: "Well you know when you try to scratch your balls, and you scratch too hard?
I'll admit sometimes I want to listen to Dragonforce.

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #838 on: February 02, 2011, 08:17:55 PM »
im not sure i understand which point you mean...or which side of the fence youre on, for that matter.

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #839 on: February 02, 2011, 08:20:22 PM »
also...no release date announced yet? im anticipating so many albums this year, but try getting a release date more than 6 weeks in advance fuck.