Author Topic: James LaBrie interview with Kyo, 2011-07-11  (Read 77675 times)

Offline Kyo

• Myung at Heart
James LaBrie interview with Kyo, 2011-07-11
« on: July 06, 2011, 01:20:24 PM »
Since someone asked, the interview will be published on www.prog-sphere.com in English and on www.progrock-dt.de in German. And yes, the whole thing will be filmed, so I imagine the German version will be the original video with a translated transcript added.

=====================

Hi everyone,

I will be conducting an interview with James this Saturday. My list of topics to discuss is already pretty long, so I can't guarantee anything, but if anyone has good questions for James, please post them here - maybe I'll add one or two to my list! :)

All the best,
Michael  |  Bass  |  Relocator
« Last Edit: July 11, 2011, 12:05:01 PM by Nick »
"Freedom in the 21st Century means being incommunicado."

Offline phentalmyst

Re: Upcoming interview with James
« Reply #1 on: July 06, 2011, 01:25:50 PM »
i wanna know if the lyric rule is gone.

Offline Kyo

• Myung at Heart
« Reply #2 on: July 06, 2011, 01:26:43 PM »
Don't worry, the whole thing about Myung contributing more (especially lyrics) is very high on my list. :)

Online Zydar

• Creep With Tonality
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #3 on: July 06, 2011, 01:27:10 PM »
Ask him how the setlist selections are handled and structured now.
Zydar is my new hero.  I just laughed so hard I nearly shat.

Offline Kyo

• Myung at Heart
« Reply #4 on: July 06, 2011, 01:27:36 PM »
That, too!  :lol

Offline chrisbDTM

• DT.net Member
« Reply #5 on: July 06, 2011, 01:28:42 PM »
yes put the 'why isnt there any MP songs in the setlist?' to rest

is it intentional like some people think, or just a coincidence

Offline Kyo

• Myung at Heart
« Reply #6 on: July 06, 2011, 01:29:45 PM »
Dudes, stop reading from my list and make up some questions of your own!  :rollin

Online Zydar

• Creep With Tonality
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #7 on: July 06, 2011, 01:30:51 PM »
Will there be a concert DVD release from the tour for this album? (Either from a single show or like Chaos In Motion)
Zydar is my new hero.  I just laughed so hard I nearly shat.

Offline chrisbDTM

• DT.net Member
« Reply #8 on: July 06, 2011, 01:32:00 PM »
When will purchase information for the new CD be announced? will there be special editions, boxsets, etc.

Offline Kyo

• Myung at Heart
« Reply #9 on: July 06, 2011, 01:34:09 PM »
Will there be a concert DVD release from the tour for this album? (Either from a single show or like Chaos In Motion)

Yeah, I hope I'll find the time to inquire about future video releases. When will we get the first DT Blu-ray disc? Will Budokan and Score ever be released on that format? And will we ever see that extended edition of LSFNY?

I'm not sure James will be able to answer those at this point, but even if not, it won't hurt to put these ideas in his head. :)

When will purchase information for the new CD be announced? will there be special editions, boxsets, etc.

I could try, but I feel I'd be wasting a question - the answer is probably that we'll hear about it soon enough (i.e., when the label decides the time is right).

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #10 on: July 06, 2011, 01:45:15 PM »
What was JP's reaction when James told him he wanted to record his vocals in Canada?
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
Winger Theater Forums........or WTF.  ;D
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Offline chrisbDTM

• DT.net Member
« Reply #11 on: July 06, 2011, 01:47:36 PM »
Does James handle all backing vocals on the album? (cause he was in canada away from JP)

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
« Reply #12 on: July 06, 2011, 01:48:02 PM »
What would it take to make him sign up and post here just once?
"The Supreme Court of the United States has descended from the disciplined legal reasoning of John Marshall and Joseph Story to the mystical aphorisms of the fortune cookie."

Offline nikatapi

« Reply #13 on: July 06, 2011, 01:50:33 PM »
Has he talked to MP since he left the band?
How many songs did he write lyrics for?
Did the music for the new album come first and then the vocal melodies, or did they write with the vocals in mind?

What would it take to make him sign up and post here just once?

That is a great question.

Offline phentalmyst

« Reply #14 on: July 06, 2011, 01:53:07 PM »
Don't worry, the whole thing about Myung contributing more (especially lyrics) is very high on my list. :)

i guess i meant it more from the aspect of if JM's contributions are a product of rule changes, and if so, did those rule changes take place because of MP's leaving or is this all just fan speculation?

Offline phentalmyst

« Reply #15 on: July 06, 2011, 01:54:41 PM »
also, will SDV make an appearance on tour? you can reference the JR gig.

Offline Orion1967

« Reply #16 on: July 06, 2011, 01:54:58 PM »
Boxers, Briefs or Commando?

Enquiring minds might want to know?
Cool Story Bro. 

Tell it again

Offline Kyo

• Myung at Heart
« Reply #17 on: July 06, 2011, 01:56:38 PM »

i guess i meant it more from the aspect of if JM's contributions are a product of rule changes, and if so, did those rule changes take place because of MP's leaving or is this all just fan speculation?

Once again: Don't worry. :) I'd say I'm as familiar with the Myung situation as an outsider can be (lyric rule and all), so I'll try to find out as much about how and why it changed as I can.

Offline John94

« Reply #18 on: July 06, 2011, 01:58:00 PM »
Ask him how he feels about singing earlier songs now. Does he feel fully comfortable with them and has he altered any of his warm up techniques or general singing techniques in order to deliver them. (eg. the F#)

Offline Kyo

• Myung at Heart
« Reply #19 on: July 06, 2011, 01:59:02 PM »
also, will SDV make an appearance on tour? you can reference the JR gig.

Yeah, something like that is on my list already. I'll ask about more obscure songs in general when we discuss setlists and I'll definitely bring up SDV because of this precedent. :)

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
« Reply #20 on: July 06, 2011, 02:02:19 PM »
Voices and Take the Time:  Whose decision was it to edit those down on recent tours (his, the band's, or both)?  Given how incredibly difficult the full version of Take the Time is, how would he feel about trying to sing the original version?  Does he think he can pull it off?  Any plans to bring those two songs out in their entirety in the forseeable future?
"The Supreme Court of the United States has descended from the disciplined legal reasoning of John Marshall and Joseph Story to the mystical aphorisms of the fortune cookie."

Offline Kyo

• Myung at Heart
« Reply #21 on: July 06, 2011, 02:06:57 PM »
Voices and Take the Time:  Whose decision was it to edit those down on recent tours (his, the band's, or both)?

You forgot option 4: Mike's :lol

Offline wammabe

« Reply #22 on: July 06, 2011, 02:13:56 PM »
Boxers, Briefs or Commando?

Enquiring minds might want to know?
Indeed, this question should be presented in the interview.

Anyways, I'd like to know his thoughts on the vocals for the new album. If he finds the songs simple and easy to perform, etc.

Offline Elite

• The 'other' Rich
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • also, a tin teardrop
« Reply #23 on: July 06, 2011, 02:19:30 PM »
Ask him why he cut his hair  :lol

In more seriousness, ask him what his favourite and least favourite songs to play with dream Theater are.
Hey dude slow the fuck down so we can finish together at the same time.  :biggrin:
Squ
scRa are the resultaten of sound nog bring propey

Offline Gysten

« Reply #24 on: July 06, 2011, 02:24:09 PM »
In more seriousness, ask him what his favourite and least favourite songs to play with dream Theater are.

I second this, would be fun to know.

Offline ReaPsTA

• DT.net Veteran
  • Addicted to the pain
« Reply #25 on: July 06, 2011, 02:50:11 PM »
Can you ask him how, since he recorded his vocals in Canada, he went about interpreting the lyrics and vocal melodies he didn't write?  Were there vocal demos for the JP and JM lyrics?  To what degree does he blend his own thoughts with the interpretation of the lyricist?  After he did his first takes of the songs, how much input did JP and/or JM have in terms of redoing certain parts?  How did he find the emotional truth of the song and how to convey that through the tonality/timbre/intensity of the singing?

Stuff like that basically.
Take a chance you may die
Over and over again

Offline ReaPsTA

• DT.net Veteran
  • Addicted to the pain
« Reply #26 on: July 06, 2011, 02:53:46 PM »
BTW - A thought about the questions (Directed at the fellow posters).

Think long term a bit.  We'll know if there are JP backing vocals when the album comes out.  Why waste JLB's time asking him that?  Ask questions that will make the album more interesting when it comes out and still be interesting a year or more from now.
Take a chance you may die
Over and over again

Offline Guitalguy

• Blackness awakens Visions come alive
« Reply #27 on: July 06, 2011, 02:55:58 PM »
Can you ask him how, since he recorded his vocals in Canada, he went about interpreting the lyrics and vocal melodies he didn't write?  Were there vocal demos for the JP and JM lyrics?  To what degree does he blend his own thoughts with the interpretation of the lyricist?  After he did his first takes of the songs, how much input did JP and/or JM have in terms of redoing certain parts?  How did he find the emotional truth of the song and how to convey that through the tonality/timbre/intensity of the singing?

Stuff like that basically.

That. I wonder why he couldn't just record them once he was in NY for the instruments recording. Must have been difficult to communicate. Having seen the Chaos in Progress-doc, I know that the others always were telling him how to do it and overloaded him with constructive comments and all.

Offline MykeHavoc

• Send More Cops
« Reply #28 on: July 06, 2011, 02:58:41 PM »
I'm most curious about set-lists. Everyone here was quick to point out that their first show in, they avoided any MP lyrics. I would like to know if they have discussed if this will be an ongoing thing or if they will down the line integrate some of those songs back in. I think it's fair to say we'd all be heart-broken if say A Change of Seasons never gets played live again.
I'd also like to comment that the song choice was well mixed and I was curious if the band as a whole sat down to hash it out or if one or two specific members dictated the direction and song order. I'd also like to know if there is intent to rotate set-lists or swap songs at all or if we can expect a static set per leg/tour.  

Offline TheGreatPretender

• The Second Dancing Turtle
  • You are reading these words.
« Reply #29 on: July 06, 2011, 03:10:06 PM »
Ask him whether there are any songs on the album where he just goes crazy high with his vocal range?

Also, where will this interview be posted? And by chance, will it be a video interview? Those are questions for you, Kyo, not for him, hahah.
"How's that for a slice of fried gold?"

Offline robwebster

« Reply #30 on: July 06, 2011, 03:16:08 PM »
Ask which songs he wrote. (And, if you can sneak it in, which songs John Myung wrote.)

What kind of things has he chosen to write about? Are there any subjects that he really wanted to tackle with this album? Can he see himself contributing more lyrically in the future, now that there's more space for it? What sort of discussions go on, when choosing a song to write lyrics for - are there any that he had an idea for but didn't get a chance to write?

(Oh, and does he remember the working titles to any of the songs for this album? Working titles are dead fun, typically.)

ALSO - how did they choose the setlists this tour? Was it more of a collaborative thing? Were there any songs that he really wanted to slip into the set? Are there any songs they've not played in ages that he'd like to have another go at?

There we go - loads of lyrics questions, loads of setlist questions. Not many about actual vocals - sorry about that. I'm dead interested in what the dynamic was like, recording with Rich Chycki - did he feel he had more freedom to put his own stamp on it? And how have they dealt with vocal melodies this time around; did he and Rich Chycki work them out themselves from rough guides, or have the lyricists written the melodies again? (Back to lyrics!)

(That, incidentally, could be why JM's contributing again. He doesn't really "do" vocal melodies, but if JLB's designing his own to an extent, then it doesn't matter, p'raps?)

Offline robwebster

« Reply #31 on: July 06, 2011, 03:21:55 PM »
Ohhhh! And a good question - so good that someone's probably beaten me to the punch (haven't read through the suggestions, yet) - but how does John Petrucci's approach differ from Mike Portnoy's?

Offline Ħ

« Reply #32 on: July 06, 2011, 04:13:47 PM »
Will DT will throw in any of the obscure b-sides into their setlists in the future?
"All great works are prepared in the desert, including the redemption of the world. The precursors, the followers, the Master Himself, all obeyed or have to obey one and the same law. Prophets, apostles, preachers, martyrs, pioneers of knowledge, inspired artists in every art, ordinary men and the Man-God, all pay tribute to loneliness, to the life of silence, to the night." - A. G. Sertillanges

Offline Kotowboy

• Yes THAT Kotowboy.
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #33 on: July 06, 2011, 04:14:14 PM »
Ohhhh! And a good question - so good that someone's probably beaten me to the punch (haven't read through the suggestions, yet) - but how does John Petrucci's approach differ from Mike Portnoy's?

Production - wise I assume . :)

Offline IdoSC

« Reply #34 on: July 06, 2011, 04:15:42 PM »
Well, if you feel like it - ask him if he pushes himself (in terms of vocal range etc) in the new record the way he did in Static Impulse, Trinity (of Eden's Curse) and in the recent live shows.