Author Topic: James LaBrie interview with Kyo, 2011-07-11  (Read 77698 times)

Offline Implode

• Lord of the Squids
  • DTF.org Alumni
Re: James LaBrie interview with Kyo, 2011-07-11
« Reply #140 on: July 11, 2011, 03:02:49 PM »
This is the best DT interview I've read! Great job, Kyo.

Offline TheGreatPretender

• The Second Dancing Turtle
  • You are reading these words.
« Reply #141 on: July 11, 2011, 03:05:30 PM »
This is the best DT interview I've read! Great job, Kyo.
Yeah, I definitely agree. It's very elaborate and informative. Now, if or when we get the video version, it'll definitely be the best JLB interview.

I remember watching one, and JLB was talking about how after training with Jaime Vendera he got his range back, and the dude interviewing him was like, "But you don't have your range back." And he almost started like, disputing and arguing what JLB was saying, and it's like, "Dude, be fucking professional. Who does that at an interview?"
"How's that for a slice of fried gold?"

Offline Kyo

• Myung at Heart
« Reply #142 on: July 11, 2011, 03:38:05 PM »
Now, if or when we get the video version, it'll definitely be the best JLB interview.

I really don't know if I'll create a video version. First of all, I transcribed the English version and just finished a German translation of it. I really don't feel like spending more time with this interview at this point - it's a LOT of text. And then I don't have the tools necessary for decent video cropping and editing and I don't want to put out some mediocre raw recording.

Besides, everything of substance is in that text version already. I actually tried to stay very close to James' words, even if it hurts the flow a bit sometimes. So you really wouldn't get any more out of the video version other than a few of James' gestures. It's just not worth the effort in my opinion and honestly, I prefer interviews to be in text form, especially when they have some substance as in this case. They're easier to follow, it's easier to skip sections where the answers don't interest you and for me it's nice to know that people won't paraphrase and misquote anything from it when they can just copy & paste the original words.

Anyway, thanks for all the amazing feedback, guys! Really happy that you like it so much! :)
"Freedom in the 21st Century means being incommunicado."

« Reply #143 on: July 11, 2011, 03:40:53 PM »
That's a shame. Personally, I'll always prefer a video or even audio interview. To hear it straight out of the artist's mouth beats text for me any time.

Offline Elite

• The 'other' Rich
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • also, a tin teardrop
« Reply #144 on: July 11, 2011, 03:46:12 PM »
Anyway, thanks for all the amazing feedback, guys! Really happy that you like it so much! :)

So, it was you I met! Great interview thanks, and you did manage to sneak up my question in there, thanks. Maybe we'll meet again!  ;)
Hey dude slow the fuck down so we can finish together at the same time.  :biggrin:
Squ
scRa are the resultaten of sound nog bring propey

Offline Perpetual Change

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #145 on: July 11, 2011, 03:48:11 PM »
Website doesn't seem to be working for me :(.

If Kyo's cool with it, can someone copy and paste it here.

Offline Aniland

« Reply #146 on: July 11, 2011, 03:49:29 PM »
I wonder when more of the info is coming.

Online ariich

• Roulette Supervillain
  • Global Moderator
  • sexin' you later
« Reply #147 on: July 11, 2011, 03:58:14 PM »
Link works fine for me.

Great interview Kyo!

Ariich is a freak, or somehow has more hours in the day than everyone else.
I be am boner inducing.

Offline Perpetual Change

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #148 on: July 11, 2011, 04:00:02 PM »
My link's working now!

That was a really good interview! And, yeah, as others were saying, it seemed pretty clear that there was no relationship with DT and Mike anymore, so it was good to see it confirmed by James.

Online ariich

• Roulette Supervillain
  • Global Moderator
  • sexin' you later
« Reply #149 on: July 11, 2011, 04:21:23 PM »
Well, I dunno about with "DT and Mike", but certainly with JM and JLB. The former isn't at all surprising, but I'm a little surprised to the extent of it with James.

I be am boner inducing.

« Reply #150 on: July 11, 2011, 04:25:41 PM »
Well, I dunno about with "DT and Mike", but certainly with JM and JLB. The former isn't at all surprising, but I'm a little surprised to the extent of it with James.
Well think about how much vocal work Mike's done in the last two albums. I mean, right away I thought it was undermining LaBrie's place in the band, somewhat.
And yeah, he never said anything, so I just assumed that they were all okay with it. Like they were all on the same level, but as it turns out, JLB was holding that against him somewhat, and I can totally understand why.

Offline Perpetual Change

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #151 on: July 11, 2011, 04:27:05 PM »
Mike's confirmed the DT guys haven't responded to any of his attempts to get in touch with them several times. I count this interview as a guy on the DT side acknowledging that. I guess that's what I meant.

Offline Ben_Jamin

• I'm just a man, thrown into existence by the gods
« Reply #152 on: July 11, 2011, 04:35:07 PM »
Well MP did have the boxing thing installed on his kit so he can hit that when JLB messed up.
I don't know how they can be so proud of winning with them odds. - Little Big Man
Follow my Spotify:BjamminD

Online ariich

• Roulette Supervillain
  • Global Moderator
  • sexin' you later
« Reply #153 on: July 11, 2011, 04:56:17 PM »
Mike's confirmed the DT guys haven't responded to any of his attempts to get in touch with them several times. I count this interview as a guy on the DT side acknowledging that. I guess that's what I meant.
Ah ok, post-leaving yeah I definitely agree, interesting to hear about that from James.

I be am boner inducing.

Offline Perpetual Change

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #154 on: July 11, 2011, 05:05:53 PM »
Well MP did have the boxing thing installed on his kit so he can hit that when JLB messed up.

Is that really what that thing was for?

Offline ReaPsTA

• DT.net Veteran
  • Addicted to the pain
« Reply #155 on: July 11, 2011, 05:06:42 PM »
Dude, really really good job with that interview.  Lots of great questions and answers.  Tremendous work.

I really like how JM is much more involved now. And I think he is much happier:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LfPSRb8btjA&feature=BFa&list=HL1310408669&index=135

Check out 12.48 when he gets a pat on the back from MM, its just kinda nice because i dont think I've seen that happen for a long time  :smiley:

AAaaawwwwwwwww

That's the nicest I've seen anybody be to JM I think ever.
Take a chance you may die
Over and over again

Offline robwebster

« Reply #156 on: July 11, 2011, 05:09:20 PM »
In fairness, Mike and James weren't exactly best friends for quite a chunk of their career if Lifting Shadows is anything to go by. So yeah, was never obvious (nor even hinted at), but with retrospect, I can't say it's entirely surprising.

Absolutely a testament to the both of 'em that they managed to keep it so quiet, mind. Both times. Both ardent professionals - very good stuff. Crying shame, though.

Offline Ħ

« Reply #157 on: July 11, 2011, 05:25:01 PM »
This is like, the best interview I know of with a member of DT.
"All great works are prepared in the desert, including the redemption of the world. The precursors, the followers, the Master Himself, all obeyed or have to obey one and the same law. Prophets, apostles, preachers, martyrs, pioneers of knowledge, inspired artists in every art, ordinary men and the Man-God, all pay tribute to loneliness, to the life of silence, to the night." - A. G. Sertillanges

« Reply #158 on: July 11, 2011, 05:29:16 PM »
In fairness, Mike and James weren't exactly best friends for quite a chunk of their career if Lifting Shadows is anything to go by. So yeah, was never obvious (nor even hinted at), but with retrospect, I can't say it's entirely surprising.

Are they ever gonna do another pressing of that book? It's ridiculous that it's completely unavailable, short of $300.

And yeah, I wonder what if anything JP will say about this interview. It seems like he's a lot more quiet and evasive when talking about MP. But LaBrie just went and said it like it was. He definitely wasn't sugarcoating it.

Offline Perpetual Change

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #159 on: July 11, 2011, 05:32:12 PM »

Oh yeah, Lifting Shadows doesn't come out and say that they didn't like eachother, but there's more than enough reason given to come to the conclusion that James and Mike probably not personal friends at all. Rich Wilson did a great job, but as is the case with any "official history," you kinda have to read between the lines.

This is like, the best interview I know of with a member of DT.

It's gotta have something to do with Kyo actually being a DT fan, rather than just a paid interviewer. He definitely knew what questions to ask  :tup

Offline farsight

« Reply #160 on: July 11, 2011, 07:32:05 PM »
lol what's quite funny is just last night I had a dream where JlB got so fed up with Mike controlling how his vocals sound and quit the band. And so MP did a Phil Collins  and filled in for the vocals and... let's just say it was A Nightmare to Remember:eek

btw, great interview. the only thing that could have made it better is if it was JM who was being asked the same set of questions.

« Reply #161 on: July 11, 2011, 07:44:41 PM »
lol what's quite funny is just last night I had a dream where JlB got so fed up with Mike controlling how his vocals sound and quit the band. And so MP did a Phil Collins  and filled in for the vocals and... let's just say it was A Nightmare to Remember:eek

NOOOOOO!!!!!!

Offline darkshade

« Reply #162 on: July 11, 2011, 07:58:59 PM »

Absolutely a testament to the both of 'em that they managed to keep it so quiet, mind. Both times. Both ardent professionals - very good stuff. Crying shame, though.

Why weren't Mike and JLB cool with each other?

Offline Jirpo

• DTF.org Member
  • :)
« Reply #163 on: July 11, 2011, 09:32:58 PM »
Great interview! Some interesting stuff in there :)

Offline dongringo

« Reply #164 on: July 11, 2011, 09:37:32 PM »
The best interview in a long while. Lot's of good questions answered truthfully.
.......__o
.......\ <,
....( )/ ( )

Offline DarkLord_Lalinc

• pr0nman extraordinaire
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Hostages love me
« Reply #165 on: July 11, 2011, 09:38:28 PM »
It's great that the best questions suggested here were asked in such an appropiate manner. Props, pal. Thank you.
Quote from: TioJorge
MAN FUCK YOU KUJA.
Quote from: hefdaddy42
The Darklord is amazing

Offline GasparXR

• Why would I put something personal here?
« Reply #166 on: July 11, 2011, 09:44:52 PM »
This was a fantastic interview!

And to answer darkshade's question, this might be why: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2_RuBLCPPjk

Offline Global Laziness

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #167 on: July 11, 2011, 09:48:45 PM »
Quote from: Jamesman42
Global Laziness: Speaks for Canada
Quote from: black_floyd
I walked down a spiral staircase in 19/16 in honor of Tom Sawyer and now I'm in crutches.

Offline GasparXR

• Why would I put something personal here?
« Reply #168 on: July 11, 2011, 09:54:07 PM »

Offline Zook

• Evil Incarnate
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Take My Hand
« Reply #169 on: July 11, 2011, 10:24:49 PM »
NO JOKE FOL YU!

Offline ?

• Apparently the best username
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Less=Moore, Even Less=Wilson
« Reply #170 on: July 12, 2011, 12:16:57 AM »
Great, honest interview! :tup I don't care about New Millennium, either, but I love Scarred!

Offline Adami

• Moderator of awesomeness
« Reply #171 on: July 12, 2011, 12:32:40 AM »
It's funny that Scarred is one of his favorites. When I saw them in LA a few years ago, Scarred was the one song James kept screwing up, one of the verses he kept coming in wrong (while portnoy kept shaking his head) eventually he gave up and quit singing until the chorus.
fanticide.bandcamp.com

« Reply #172 on: July 12, 2011, 12:35:44 AM »
It's funny that Scarred is one of his favorites. When I saw them in LA a few years ago, Scarred was the one song James kept screwing up, one of the verses he kept coming in wrong (while portnoy kept shaking his head) eventually he gave up and quit singing until the chorus.
That's probably due to the aforementioned short notice set changes by Portnoy.

Offline Adami

• Moderator of awesomeness
« Reply #173 on: July 12, 2011, 12:38:40 AM »
That's probably due to the aforementioned short notice set changes by Portnoy.

No they had been playing scarred most of the tour if I remember correctly. He just got the timing wrong on that verse over and over. People mess up.
fanticide.bandcamp.com

Offline tumbok

« Reply #174 on: July 12, 2011, 12:57:16 AM »
simply the best DT interview so far since MP's departure!  :metal