Author Topic: James LaBrie interview with Kyo, 2011-07-11  (Read 77689 times)

Offline Bill Carson

Re: James LaBrie interview with Kyo, 2011-07-11
« Reply #455 on: July 18, 2011, 05:55:23 AM »
What I love the most about where DT are at the minute is that for the first time in along time....it feels like a band !
They are now doing what they are good at, MP was so obsessed with making them sound like someone else e.g Metallica, some Nu Metal band, Muse etc that he forgot the simple fact that DT have created their own sound ! That's what we all fell in love with. They don't need to sound like anyone else...they are Dream Theater !
And that's what I can't wait to hear on the new album.

So MP can have his Allen's and Orlando's, i'll stick with JLB & JP - they resonate with me far more !

Offline zerogravityfat

• DTF.org Alumni
  • There can be only one.
« Reply #456 on: July 18, 2011, 07:03:08 AM »
interviews are usually generic and boring. this one was rather enjoyable to read, thank you.
DTF.  More reliable than the AP since 2009. -millahh

Offline SjundeInseglet

« Reply #457 on: July 18, 2011, 07:26:08 AM »
That was indeed a great read.

Regarding Portnoy's "opinions", it must be hard for him to see that the DT fans are actually enjoying the new DT (and genuinely excited for what's to come), flocking to the shows and truly embracing MM as more than worthy replacement (as evidenced by all the Mangini chanting you hear on pretty much all these recent shows). And everyone's doing it quite warmly too! It must come as a severe blow to him as he possibly always thought DT couldn't exist (or at the very least be successful) without him. Can't say I sympathize with him anymore (not that I actually did sympathize much with his actions afer the split)...

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #458 on: July 18, 2011, 08:17:50 AM »
Never say never regarding some type of reunion later on down the line, even if if just a single show or something like that.  Sure, it looks less likely right now, but the wounds are still fresh.  Time can always heal them.  Hell, the Pink Floyd split and feud was 100 times worse, and they still managed to come together to do the Live 8 show, so you just never know.  

Offline Millais

« Reply #459 on: July 18, 2011, 12:17:48 PM »
I haven't seen anything too over the line on any of this yet, so good job guys.

But I must say from a modding perspective that I really wish that MP would shut the hell up.

completely agreed.

Offline Zook

• Evil Incarnate
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Take My Hand
« Reply #460 on: July 18, 2011, 12:57:32 PM »
interviews are usually generic and boring. this one was rather enjoyable to read, thank you.

lol

Offline ariich

• Roulette Supervillain
  • Global Moderator
  • sexin' you later
« Reply #461 on: July 19, 2011, 03:16:53 PM »
Never say never regarding some type of reunion later on down the line, even if if just a single show or something like that.  Sure, it looks less likely right now, but the wounds are still fresh.  Time can always heal them.  Hell, the Pink Floyd split and feud was 100 times worse, and they still managed to come together to do the Live 8 show, so you just never know. 
This exactly. As much as people don't seem to believe it, I'm still certain that Mike is a good and caring guy. Sure pretty self-centred, he always has been, it's just coming out more right now for obvious reasons. And he says and does some stupid things. But I don't believe for one second that he is a malicious person. And so I think that once things settle down over time and both he and the band get used to not being together, there's no reason there couldn't be some kind of reunion, possibly just for a one-off gig or something.

Ariich is a freak, or somehow has more hours in the day than everyone else.
I be am boner inducing.

Offline Kyo

• Myung at Heart
« Reply #462 on: July 20, 2011, 02:28:55 PM »
Hey everyone,

I've been away for a while, didn't expect this thread to be quite THIS popular!  :lol

Anyway, really nice to read all the positive comments here, thanks!
"Freedom in the 21st Century means being incommunicado."

Offline Jaffa

• Just Jaffa
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #463 on: July 20, 2011, 02:30:39 PM »
Oh, yes, very good interview.  I don't think I'd actually said that yet.   :lol
Sincerely,
Jaffa

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
« Reply #464 on: July 20, 2011, 02:49:38 PM »
Hey everyone,

I've been away for a while, didn't expect this thread to be quite THIS popular!  :lol

I don't know that it's posted on this forum, but Samsara and ShadowWalker are both professional journalists, and they both agreed you did a REALLY good job.
"The Supreme Court of the United States has descended from the disciplined legal reasoning of John Marshall and Joseph Story to the mystical aphorisms of the fortune cookie."

Offline WildeSilas

« Reply #465 on: July 20, 2011, 02:56:45 PM »
Yeah - I bitched about the RR interview with JP and JM, but THIS is what an interview should be like. The way you asked the questions didn't provoke JLB to say anything bad about MP or the past, but it left the way totally open if he wanted to share those things. You both exhibited great tact and class (regardless of what they're saying on the MP forums). I wish every interview was like this - asking things people really want to know about it, instead of "Hai guys do you liek ur new album lol!!"
No light at the end of the tunnel due to budget contraints

Online Dr. DTVT

• DTF's resident Mad Scientist
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • What's your favorite planet? Mine's the Sun!
« Reply #466 on: July 21, 2011, 12:18:29 AM »
If its in the previous 14 pages, please forgive me for asking.  I clicked on the link from the OP and only found a written version.

Is there an audio version I can listen to at work tomorrow?

Offline TheGreatPretender

• The Second Dancing Turtle
  • You are reading these words.
« Reply #467 on: July 21, 2011, 12:20:02 AM »
If its in the previous 14 pages, please forgive me for asking.  I clicked on the link from the OP and only found a written version.

Is there an audio version I can listen to at work tomorrow?
No, unfortunately. I'd love an audio or video version myself. But yeah, I'm not gonna push it.
"How's that for a slice of fried gold?"

Offline tristl

• DTF.org Alumni
  • when dreams and tristl unite
« Reply #468 on: July 21, 2011, 11:32:33 AM »
 :rollin :loser:
it's a great interview and jlb just says what i was sensing and already stating in the rome concert thread:
the band and especially jlb seemed almost relieved from a burden and displayed pure joy.
at least jlb will never be a fan of mp coming back, that's for sure.
Carpe diem baby

Offline Sketchy

• DTF.org Member
  • More tea is required.
« Reply #469 on: July 22, 2011, 07:11:27 AM »
Wait, so, is Mike dad and John mom?

What does that make the other guys + original Kevin and Derek?
Derek is the crazy aunt with the stories and Kevin is grandpa. He was in Korea so he doesn't like to talk much.

Then there's JMX, Kevin LaBrie, Jordan, and MM; here's my best guesses for them:
K/J LaB is the handsome elder son.
Jordan is the nerdy genius.
JMX is the adopted Asian.
And MM is a Genie who lives in the empty bottle of MP's final beer that DT still has for whatever reason.
I see JMX as being the silent, creepy little sister with an unwavering gaze.
I wouldn't say creepy, but other than that, I agree with that assessment of JM... Silent definitely, and probably often forgotten (she's only the little sister because people keep forgetting to feed her, she's actually five years older than the other two children).

But yes, I have to say that I haven't checked the MP facebook page in a long while (I saw it some months ago and the comments there... put me off slightly), but yes, I read the LaBrie interview, and I personally didn't read anything into it as being a jab, but I did find it interesting, and it did give the impression that he and JM... stayed out the way of MP, shall we say? But yes, it does look like the band is much more functional now, and I've been wanting more Myung lyrics for a long time, so... yeah, I'm happy. Long live Myung... and the rest of DT... Especially Myung. :metal
This is as exciting as superluminal neutrinos. The sexy thing is that this actually exists :D

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #470 on: July 22, 2011, 09:56:59 AM »
I agree with that assessment of JM... Silent definitely, and probably often forgotten (she's only the little sister because people keep forgetting to feed her, she's actually five years older than the other two children).

Or because he wasn't shown as much as the others in the individual live shots on many of their live DVDs.  And oh yeah, who directed most of those, or had the final call on which shots were used?  Yeah.

Offline DarkLord_Lalinc

• pr0nman extraordinaire
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Hostages love me
« Reply #471 on: July 22, 2011, 10:05:34 AM »
I imagine if Portnoy ever did get back in the band - that the dynamic would b e very different. I don't think that it would be "his" band anymore - I'd see him being *just* the drummer.
And I can't imagine him being okay with that.
Um, this.  If Mike'.s going to be part of something, HE WILL make his prescence and influence felt by all people involved in its creation.  That's his way, and he doesn't seem to be interested in making any change to that approach.  I don't applaud that, but to think that he'd give his way up any time soon would be very wishful thinking.

Lots of things began ringing my ears with Mike Portnoy after the split. I mean, I loved the guy. Now, I really don't like him.

I will always respect him and admire him for the huge amount of things he has brought to the musical world and DT, but now it's just ridiculous. I mean, I recently read one of his older forum posts: thank *ME* for making the instrumental tracks available (for BC&SL)........for you "FANS" that don't digest my cookie monster vocals....BRANDNEWFLOOR"(in bold font).  And hey, there are also instrumental tracks available for ADTOE! Surprise! He indeed did lots for the band and whatnot, but I think I agree with James for once that finally there's not a man trying to steal the spotlight in the background (and not just in the concerts).
Quote from: TioJorge
MAN FUCK YOU KUJA.
Quote from: hefdaddy42
The Darklord is amazing

Offline snowdog

« Reply #472 on: July 22, 2011, 10:31:17 AM »
I missed this thread last week.  I can't believe my opinion of Mike has fallen even further.  And at this point I'm sure he'll find a way to top it.  I still like him as a musician, but as a person I don't respect him anymore.  And yeah looking back, I guess he always had this kind of personality.

I looked over at the thread on MP.com and I just can't believe the posters over there.  Someone was outright asking to ban the guy who started the thread.  He didn't even say anything disrespectful.  How can you be so blindly devoted to someone like that?

Offline ShadowWalker

« Reply #473 on: July 22, 2011, 10:35:07 AM »
Hey everyone,

I don't know that it's posted on this forum, but Samsara and ShadowWalker are both professional journalists, and they both agreed you did a REALLY good job.

Yeah, what bosk1 said... :metal